[HOW-TO] [Experimental] Flash the TF300 JB Firmware on the TF700 [Updated 09-17-2012]

Search This thread

MysticMgcn

Aug 11, 2010
You can revert to the ICS bootloader with the .30 firmware following instructions below only using .30 firmware instead of the JB Firmware.

Thanks goes to saltxyz for this find.

I think we've taken this thread about as far as it can go information wise. Please join me in my new thread here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1886877

Thank you everyone for taking the plunge with me, the Thanks, guidance, and making this a newsworthy thread!

You can download my custom kernel here or below: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ay9iolwcfbxu0wm/_vpRpSQ6nK/kernel.zip

STOP

1. I am not responsible for any issues this may cause your device and won't be held for any soft-bricks, hard-bricks, boot loops, exploding pets or Resonance Cascades.
2. Go ahead and download ADB/Fastboot to make your life easier: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

What Works/Doesn't Work

What Works:
Almost everything!

What Doesn't Work:
Changing Brightness Settings without the use of a Third-Party App
Resolution (DPI is set to 160 by default and changing it through an App or directly with build.prop makes no changes) - FIXED

You WILL lose Root and Custom Recovery with these methods

Drivers

I used the ASUS Android USB Drivers from the following post for ABD/Fastboot: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1706588

Installation

Method 1 for Locked/Unlocked Bootloader with Stock Recovery and/or Root

1. Power off your tablet
2. Download the latest TF300T firmware (XX_epaduser_10_4_2_9_UpdateLauncher.zip) from Asus site based on your SKU location (eg. ww, US, etc): http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T&p=20&s=16
3. Right click and extract the downloaded .ZIP file (XX_epaduser_10_4_2_9_UpdateLauncher.zip) onto your desktop
4. Rename the extracted .ZIP to "EP201_768_SDUPDATE" (without the " ") and copy it to your MicroSD card
5. Insert the MicroSD card in your tablet
6. Boot your tablet into Recovery by pressing and holding Volume Down AND Power for 5 seconds
7. A message will inform you that you have 5 seconds to enter Recovery; press Volume Up before the 5 seconds expire
8. At this point the device will go in recovery and should start updating your firmware

Method 2 for Unlocked Bootloader with Custom Recovery and/or Root

1. Power off your tablet
2. Download the latest TF300T firmware (XX_epaduser_10_4_2_9_UpdateLauncher.zip) from Asus site based on your SKU location (eg. ww, US, etc): http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T&p=20&s=16
3. Right click and extract the downloaded .ZIP file (XX_epaduser_10_4_2_9_UpdateLauncher.zip) onto your desktop
4. Copy the extracted .ZIP (XX_epad-user-10.4.2.9.zip) to your MicroSD card
6. Boot your tablet into Recovery by pressing and holding Volume Down AND Power for 5 seconds
7. A message will inform you that you have 5 seconds to enter Recovery; press Volume Up before the 5 seconds expire
8. From your recovery menu press Install and select the .ZIP file (XX_epad-user-10.4.2.9.zip)
9. Wait until the install process ends and then restart your device

Method 3 Advanced using Fastboot

1. Power off your tablet
4. Right click and extract the new .ZIP file (XX_epad-user-10.4.2.9.zip) onto your desktop; you should now have the blob binary and META-INF folder on your desktop
5. Copy the blob binary to your platform-tools folder (C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools or C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools)
6. Plug tablet into your computer
7. Boot your tablet into Fastboot by pressing and holding Volume Down AND Power for 5 seconds
8. A message will inform you that you have 5 seconds to enter Recovery; press Volume Down twice to select Fastboot and then Volume Up before the 5 seconds expire
9. Open a command prompt and cd into your platform-tools folder; or press right-Shift on your keyboard and right-click the platform-tools folder and click "Open command window here"
10. Enter the following command in the command prompt: "fastboot -i 0x0B05 flash system blob" (without the " ")
11. Once the previous command completes enter: "fastboot -i 0x0B05 reboot" (without the " ")

RECOMMENDED but Optional Steps:

If you are using Stock Recovery it is advised to Factory Data Reset or Wipe Data both BEFORE and AFTER the Firmware Upgrade

If you are using Custom Recovery it is advised to wipe ALL partitions

Unlocking the Bootloader
You can use the ASUS Unlock Tool from the ASUS Support site to unlock your bootloader. Despite ASUS saying it's for ICS it works fine on JB. Detailed instructions to come.

Recovery (TWRP) **Requires Unlocked Bootloader**

1. Turn your tablet off
2. Download the latest TWRP blob: http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/105
3. Rename the blob binary (openrecovery-twrp-X.X.X.X-tf700t.blob) to "twrp.blob" (without the " ")
4. Copy the twrp.blob binary to your platform-tools folder (C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools or C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools)
5. Plug tablet into your computer
6. Boot your tablet into Fastboot by pressing and holding Volume Down AND Power for 5 seconds
7. A message will inform you that you have 5 seconds to enter Recovery; press Volume Down twice to select Fastboot and then Volume Up before the 5 seconds expire
8. Open a command prompt and cd into your platform-tools folder; or press right-Shift on your keyboard and right-click the platform-tools folder and click "Open command window here"
9. Enter the following command in the command prompt: "fastboot -i 0x0B05 flash recovery twrp.blob" (without the " ")
10. Once the previous command completes enter: "fastboot -i 0x0B05 reboot" (without the " ")

Root **Requires Unlocked Bootloader AND Custom Recovery**

1. Download the latest Custom Recovery installable SuperSU .ZIP (CWM-SuperSU-vX.XX.zip): http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1538053
2. Plug tablet into your computer
3. Copy the SuperSU .ZIP (CWM-SuperSU-vX.XX.zip) to Internal Storage
4. Turn your tablet off
5. Boot your tablet into Recovery by pressing and holding Volume Down AND Power for 5 seconds
6. A message will inform you that you have 5 seconds to enter Recovery; press Volume Up before the 5 seconds expire
7. From your recovery menu press Install and select the SuperSU .ZIP (CWM-SuperSU-vX.XX.zip)
8. Wait until the install process ends and then restart your device
9. Now your tablet should be rooted

Attachments

• kernel.zip
    5.2 MB · Views: 156
Last edited:

MysticMgcn

Aug 11, 2010
F.A.Q.

JB seems to be laggy. Any suggestions?
Yes, Wipe!! Even if you've performed a Factory Data Reset or Wipe Data I HIGHLY recommend unlocking your bootloader, installing a Custom Recovery, wiping EVERYTHING and installing the firmware again; preferably using Method 3.

Is there any way to change the Brightness settings?
Yes, through Third Party Apps. The most popular seem to be Lux and Custom Brightness Settings

Are we "SOL" having the TF300 Bootloader when the Tf700 JB Firmware comes out?
Personally I'm not too worried about the bootloader.
Either the official JB for TF700 will have the same bootloader as for the TF300, or it will be a newer version that we'll be able to flash.
The bootloader doesn't seem to be looking for a device check or else the 300 loader wouldn't have installed on the 700.
It really only seems to be doing a sig check for OLDER firmwares, not NEWER.

Why don't we have an Official TF700 JB Firmware yet?
I don't know, ask ASUS. I'm as flabbergasted as you are. We've only found two issues so far!!

Last edited:

MysticMgcn

Aug 11, 2010
UPDATE UPDATE: Kernel configs are also amazingly identical. Most new options available in the JB 3.X kernel aren't even set. Only things that stick out are that CONFIG_SENSORS_ISL29028 (Light Sensor driver) went from yes to not set. Also I keep seeing NFC code EVERYWHERE which is disabled in JB stuff. Does the TF700 have NFC or is ASUS pulling from one base? <-(Hmmm...) CONFIG_NTFS_FS has also been set to yes in JB so we should check out NTFS formatted SDCARDs. Also fun fact; CONFIG_ISO9660_FS (CD/DVD Filesystems) was set to yes in the ICS kernel. LOL. Everything we need is there, somethings just stopping it. It's funny looking through the code you can tell it was written by two different teams as most times configs contain the same info, only in a different order. Makes it hard to compare code though; jerks. No wonder it's not officially out yet.

UPDATE: I just finished comparing /system between the TF300 JB blob and the TF700 ICS blob. 98% of the config files are similar or are only off by a line or two. Issues with screen resolution and brightness seem to be stemming from kernel. I'm gonna see if I can rip the ICS kernel out and transplant it in JB or recompile the TF300 kernel using the config from ICS. They jumped from 2.6.X to 3.X so who knows...

Last edited:
Reactions: DMardroid

fordwolden

May 2, 2012
Is there a reason you need to name it recovery.zip? I just named it 300jb.zip, been installing for almost 30 mins here!

Unlocked bootloader, custom recovery and complete wipe.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

rdejager

Mar 11, 2010
To get root back, its failrly easy.

1. Install TWRP using fastboot. Just check their site for the how to do. Make sure you have fastboot and the drivers on your PC
2. Download SuperSU-CWM pack from the SuperSU topic on XDA.
3. put the SuperSU pack on your SDcard internal or external.
4. Flash that pack.
5. Boot up and open up SuperSU.
6. Update binary and done

Maybe nice to note what is broke if you use this flashing methode.

- Brightness controll is broken. Its on full all the time
- Everything is a little bigger then usual, Or I am a little blind :p

For the rest I added the tweaks to the build.prob from the tips topic and I am running super smooth.

And I just downloaded that update for the TF300 from the asus site. Extracted it so I got the update zip thingy. Placed that on my SDcard. Wiped all and just installed. Did not rename a thing. And it worked just fine.

Then I did the steps from above and thats it.

Rooted and unlocked with TWRP running JB :D Me is very happy :D

urrlyx

Dec 30, 2010
San Francisco
anyone know what causes a data transfer failure with the error "too many links" when using fastboot to flash?

i was able to get the boot blob to flash, but when i try flashing the system blob it crashes with that error. btw i'm flashing things separately because i don't want to have my bootloader updated.

lafester

Feb 11, 2007
anyone know what causes a data transfer failure with the error "too many links" when using fastboot to flash?

i was able to get the boot blob to flash, but when i try flashing the system blob it crashes with that error. btw i'm flashing things separately because i don't want to have my bootloader updated.

I think you answered your own question.

urrlyx

Dec 30, 2010
San Francisco
I think you answered your own question.

Actually I didn't, or I wouldn't have asked it. If the answer is "you can't flash this system blob with the old bootloader", then saying so would be an appropriate response.

Also, since it could be caused by something else like an inability of fastboot to flash extracted system blobs without the header file, or maybe corruption in the blob caused by using a windows binary of blobunpack, I feel my question is quite valid.

edit: I ended up doing more research and it appears that even if I did get the system blob flashed, it probably wouldn't boot without the updated bootloader due to the 3.x kernel. Even the custom JB roms for the 300 make you update the bootloader on that tablet first.

So, I'm going to put this on the backburner until there's an official bootloader update for the 700 or until someone already on the new 300 bootloader successfully flashes back to the current one.

Last edited:

Keion

Nov 6, 2011
Danville, California
I would much prefer it if we could install a custom ROM from our bros over at the TF300 forums.
Do those work as well or is it just the ASUS stock stuff?

gmfeny

Mar 21, 2007
I would much prefer it if we could install a custom ROM from our bros over at the TF300 forums.

I thought somebody said they flashed a custom jb rom from the tf300

Edit found who said it...
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=31214220

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

urrlyx

Dec 30, 2010
San Francisco
I'm pretty sure you need to be on the new bootloader for the stock rom / stock-based roms to work. I've been reading through the tf300 forums and so far I haven't found any posts about anyone being able to revert back to the ICS bootloader. One guy suggested this is due to signature checking, different permissions, and possibly an altogether different partition table.

kabauterman

Aug 11, 2011
Jena
Hopefully the TF700 JB Update would be able to flash over the TF300 JB Bootloader, otherwise we will stuck at this "not so perfect"-build for a very long time!

I miss the DPI changing :( I'm not blind and everything is so ****ing big on the screen.

Guys, did someone else see that the Battery is going low pretty much faster?

kabauterman

Aug 11, 2011
Jena

If you change the updater-script (attached in zip) with the one in this ROM: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1854212
in the subfolder: Asu-JellyBean-HyDRO-R1.zip\META-INF\com\google\android\

You can Install it on your TF700T

I'm running it right now, but I will go back to stock JB because ASUS Settings bring a force close.

All other things are still the same, backlight doesn't work, anything else is fine.

Attachments

• updater-script.zip
    10.3 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: MysticMgcn

humdrum2009

Account currently disabled
Oct 3, 2010
Hopefully someone sees something helpful from this and can make a safe stock tf700 update.
Seems devs here work as hard as asus does.
Thanks guys for all you do

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using xda premium

MysticMgcn

Aug 11, 2010
Hopefully the TF700 JB Update would be able to flash over the TF300 JB Bootloader, otherwise we will stuck at this "not so perfect"-build for a very long time!

I miss the DPI changing :( I'm not blind and everything is so ****ing big on the screen.

Guys, did someone else see that the Battery is going low pretty much faster?

Personally I'm not too worried about the bootloader. Either the official JB for TF700 will have the same bootloader as for the TF300, or it will be a newer version that we'll be able to flash.

The bootloader doesn't seem to be looking for a device check or else the 300 loader wouldn't have installed on the 700. It really only seems to be doing a sig check for OLDER firmwares, not NEWER.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You can revert to the ICS bootloader with the .30 firmware following instructions below only using .30 firmware instead of the JB Firmware.

Thanks goes to saltxyz for this find.

I think we've taken this thread about as far as it can go information wise. Please join me in my new thread here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1886877

Thank you everyone for taking the plunge with me, the Thanks, guidance, and making this a newsworthy thread!

You can download my custom kernel here or below: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ay9iolwcfbxu0wm/_vpRpSQ6nK/kernel.zip

STOP

1. I am not responsible for any issues this may cause your device and won't be held for any soft-bricks, hard-bricks, boot loops, exploding pets or Resonance Cascades.
    2. Go ahead and download ADB/Fastboot to make your life easier: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

What Works/Doesn't Work

What Works:
    Almost everything!

What Doesn't Work:
    Changing Brightness Settings without the use of a Third-Party App
    Resolution (DPI is set to 160 by default and changing it through an App or directly with build.prop makes no changes) - FIXED

You WILL lose Root and Custom Recovery with these methods

Drivers

I used the ASUS Android USB Drivers from the following post for ABD/Fastboot: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1706588

Installation

Method 1 for Locked/Unlocked Bootloader with Stock Recovery and/or Root

1. Power off your tablet
    4. Rename the extracted .ZIP to "EP201_768_SDUPDATE" (without the " ") and copy it to your MicroSD card
    8. At this point the device will go in recovery and should start updating your firmware

Method 2 for Unlocked Bootloader with Custom Recovery and/or Root

1. Power off your tablet
    4. Copy the extracted .ZIP (XX_epad-user-10.4.2.9.zip) to your MicroSD card
    8. From your recovery menu press Install and select the .ZIP file (XX_epad-user-10.4.2.9.zip)
    9. Wait until the install process ends and then restart your device

Method 3 Advanced using Fastboot

1. Power off your tablet
    4. Right click and extract the new .ZIP file (XX_epad-user-10.4.2.9.zip) onto your desktop; you should now have the blob binary and META-INF folder on your desktop
    5. Copy the blob binary to your platform-tools folder (C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools or C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools)
    6. Plug tablet into your computer
    7. Boot your tablet into Fastboot by pressing and holding Volume Down AND Power for 5 seconds
    8. A message will inform you that you have 5 seconds to enter Recovery; press Volume Down twice to select Fastboot and then Volume Up before the 5 seconds expire
    9. Open a command prompt and cd into your platform-tools folder; or press right-Shift on your keyboard and right-click the platform-tools folder and click "Open command window here"
    10. Enter the following command in the command prompt: "fastboot -i 0x0B05 flash system blob" (without the " ")
    11. Once the previous command completes enter: "fastboot -i 0x0B05 reboot" (without the " ")

RECOMMENDED but Optional Steps:

If you are using Stock Recovery it is advised to Factory Data Reset or Wipe Data both BEFORE and AFTER the Firmware Upgrade

If you are using Custom Recovery it is advised to wipe ALL partitions

Unlocking the Bootloader
    You can use the ASUS Unlock Tool from the ASUS Support site to unlock your bootloader. Despite ASUS saying it's for ICS it works fine on JB. Detailed instructions to come.

Recovery (TWRP) **Requires Unlocked Bootloader**

1. Turn your tablet off
    2. Download the latest TWRP blob: http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/105
    3. Rename the blob binary (openrecovery-twrp-X.X.X.X-tf700t.blob) to "twrp.blob" (without the " ")
    4. Copy the twrp.blob binary to your platform-tools folder (C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools or C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools)
    5. Plug tablet into your computer
    6. Boot your tablet into Fastboot by pressing and holding Volume Down AND Power for 5 seconds
    7. A message will inform you that you have 5 seconds to enter Recovery; press Volume Down twice to select Fastboot and then Volume Up before the 5 seconds expire
    8. Open a command prompt and cd into your platform-tools folder; or press right-Shift on your keyboard and right-click the platform-tools folder and click "Open command window here"
    9. Enter the following command in the command prompt: "fastboot -i 0x0B05 flash recovery twrp.blob" (without the " ")
    10. Once the previous command completes enter: "fastboot -i 0x0B05 reboot" (without the " ")

Root **Requires Unlocked Bootloader AND Custom Recovery**

1. Download the latest Custom Recovery installable SuperSU .ZIP (CWM-SuperSU-vX.XX.zip): http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1538053
    2. Plug tablet into your computer
    3. Copy the SuperSU .ZIP (CWM-SuperSU-vX.XX.zip) to Internal Storage
    4. Turn your tablet off
    5. Boot your tablet into Recovery by pressing and holding Volume Down AND Power for 5 seconds
    6. A message will inform you that you have 5 seconds to enter Recovery; press Volume Up before the 5 seconds expire
    7. From your recovery menu press Install and select the SuperSU .ZIP (CWM-SuperSU-vX.XX.zip)
    8. Wait until the install process ends and then restart your device
    9. Now your tablet should be rooted
    To get root back, its failrly easy.

1. Install TWRP using fastboot. Just check their site for the how to do. Make sure you have fastboot and the drivers on your PC
    2. Download SuperSU-CWM pack from the SuperSU topic on XDA.
    3. put the SuperSU pack on your SDcard internal or external.
    4. Flash that pack.
    5. Boot up and open up SuperSU.
    6. Update binary and done

Maybe nice to note what is broke if you use this flashing methode.

- Brightness controll is broken. Its on full all the time
    - Everything is a little bigger then usual, Or I am a little blind :p

For the rest I added the tweaks to the build.prob from the tips topic and I am running super smooth.

And I just downloaded that update for the TF300 from the asus site. Extracted it so I got the update zip thingy. Placed that on my SDcard. Wiped all and just installed. Did not rename a thing. And it worked just fine.

Then I did the steps from above and thats it.

Rooted and unlocked with TWRP running JB :D Me is very happy :D
    F.A.Q.

JB seems to be laggy. Any suggestions?
    Yes, Wipe!! Even if you've performed a Factory Data Reset or Wipe Data I HIGHLY recommend unlocking your bootloader, installing a Custom Recovery, wiping EVERYTHING and installing the firmware again; preferably using Method 3.

Is there any way to change the Brightness settings?
    Yes, through Third Party Apps. The most popular seem to be Lux and Custom Brightness Settings

Are we "SOL" having the TF300 Bootloader when the Tf700 JB Firmware comes out?
    Personally I'm not too worried about the bootloader.
    Either the official JB for TF700 will have the same bootloader as for the TF300, or it will be a newer version that we'll be able to flash.
    The bootloader doesn't seem to be looking for a device check or else the 300 loader wouldn't have installed on the 700.
    It really only seems to be doing a sig check for OLDER firmwares, not NEWER.

Why don't we have an Official TF700 JB Firmware yet?
    I don't know, ask ASUS. I'm as flabbergasted as you are. We've only found two issues so far!!
    Has anyone tested if the lag still exists with a bluetooth headset while viewing a video?
    Doesn't this update fuse the PBL aka no more nvflash? SBL (fastboot) can still be unlocked using the code, but we'd need to have the SBK to do anything via nvflash now. Let me know if this is true or not. Thanks!

In other words, wait for CM10 for Jelly Bean. :) Don't flash anything that will permanently lock your device. fastboot is crap on tegra devices and without the SBK, it's impossible to write to the device partitions with it if fastboot takes a dive, which is fairly common on tegra devices.