[READ] Found ad-hoc teather method?

Search This thread

devilpera64

Dec 7, 2008
Monfumo (NGI Service)
hi all! I've found a topic where all people was talking about the wifi tethering with ad-hoc connection using Motorola Xoom..with the help of some XDA's guys, they were able to connect a phone to xoom using ad-hoc spot. So this method can be applied also to the Transformer? i think that - if the OS is the same for each android tablet - is possible to mod the same file to the same mode, or not? :)

this is the topic:
http://www.xoomforums.com/forum/mot.../4016-how-enable-ad-hoc-wi-fi-connection.html

Reactions: bisto321

Budadank

Jul 5, 2006
hi all! I've found a topic where all people was talking about the wifi tethering with ad-hoc connection using Motorola Xoom..with the help of some XDA's guys, they were able to connect a phone to xoom using ad-hoc spot. So this method can be applied also to the Transformer? i think that - if the OS is the same for each android tablet - is possible to mod the same file to the same mode, or not? :)

this is the topic:
http://www.xoomforums.com/forum/mot.../4016-how-enable-ad-hoc-wi-fi-connection.html

The same method certainly worked on Acer Iconia A500 tabs. I did it to mine before swapping it out for a Transformer. AFAIK it was the same wpa_supplicant file from the Xoom forums here on XDA that I pushed to my Iconia and it worked well. Might give it a bash in a bit.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium App

devilpera64

Dec 7, 2008
Monfumo (NGI Service)
The same method certainly worked on Acer Iconia A500 tabs. I did it to mine before swapping it out for a Transformer. AFAIK it was the same wpa_supplicant file from the Xoom forums here on XDA that I pushed to my Iconia and it worked well. Might give it a bash in a bit.

So if this is possibile all ppl that are still using Wm6.5 will be able to tethter them 3G connection without any problems on the TF? do you remember if you encountered some trouble on iconia after this mod? I don't believe that Android doesn't still have the possibility to connect with other devices without the use of infrastucture mode. (big handicap :eek: )

Budadank

Jul 5, 2006
So if this is possibile all ppl that are still using Wm6.5 will be able to tethter them 3G connection without any problems on the TF? do you remember if you encountered some trouble on iconia after this mod? I don't believe that Android doesn't still have the possibility to connect with other devices without the use of infrastucture mode. (big handicap :eek: )

No, it didn't cause any problems. Just make sure you follow the instructions. Set the permissions on wpa_supplicant properly otherwise you will break your wifi. Ofc, you will need to have root. Good luck.

DroidxRage

Feb 28, 2010
We did this same trick to allow ad-hoc on the elocity a7... worked like a charm. Not rooted yet to try this though myself.

havoc479

May 16, 2008
Well idk if this is helpful, but ive been tethering my Droid X to my TF via bluetooth and works flawlessly, must admit it makes my DX slow and crappy but while im tethering im not really gonna be using my phone. I like to think it saves battery too, correct me if im wrong on the wifi vs bluetooth battery consumption.

rafal2006

Oct 29, 2010
Wifi tether 3.0 experimental works on epic 4g with transformer

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

Last edited:

bisto321

Aug 26, 2009
Confirmed working with my Hero that only generates ad hoc:D

Will reboot to make sure it persists, but looks good.

Was going to look for a modded wpa_supplicant. Thanks for the post.

UPDATE: works after reboot. Posting via tether now

Last edited:
M

meb0

thank you to the OP I've been trying so hard to get tethering from my verizon Galaxy S (&^#$ verizon) I didn't want to have to shell out $20 more bucks for data when I go on a road trip later.

philsuf

Mar 22, 2011
somehow it wont connect to the hotspot created by my nokia e71 & e72, old phone i know... does it have to be an android phone?

philsuf

Mar 22, 2011
Maybe you have to apply this mod to the Transformer for enjoy the new tether feature :) have you tried it? :eek:

ah yes, i havent understand about the ad hoc problems earlier... now that i've read all the others ad hoc network related, i get it

so yea, the questions i have now are the same as anybody else's... will there be any updates that fixes this instead of having to self-patch? too bad if it doesnt, cuz i love my nokia e71

Last edited:

bisto321

Aug 26, 2009
ah yes, i havent understand about the ad hoc problems earlier... now that i've read all the others ad hoc network related, i get it

so yea, the questions i have now are the same as anybody else's... will there be any updates that fixes this instead of having to self-patch? too bad if it doesnt, cuz i love my nokia e71

The android ad hoc wifi issue is quite well documented on the net - google code

Don't think google have mentioned anything about putting in support for it, but the wpa_supplicant hacks are used for lots of older devices that 'can't see' ad hoc and seem to cover it pretty well for root users.

Most newer phones, especially android devices, now generate tether points in infrastructure mode - hence why some of the posters above with newer phones do not need to use the wpa mod.

Looks like you will have to root and mod your transformer or get a phone that generates 'infrastructure' and say bye bye to your e71:(

Reactions: philsuf

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

this is the topic:
    Anyone with WM6.5? (ex HTC HD2) it finally seems going well for all devices.!

Yeah, I've tethered my Transformer to my HTC HD Mini while my Desire is off for repair for the 4th time.

The android ad hoc wifi issue is quite well documented on the net - google code

Don't think google have mentioned anything about putting in support for it, but the wpa_supplicant hacks are used for lots of older devices that 'can't see' ad hoc and seem to cover it pretty well for root users.

Most newer phones, especially android devices, now generate tether points in infrastructure mode - hence why some of the posters above with newer phones do not need to use the wpa mod.

Looks like you will have to root and mod your transformer or get a phone that generates 'infrastructure' and say bye bye to your e71:(