Genie News & Weather Widget Issue?

Search This thread

JsChiSurf

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 5, 2010
Hacksville
If it makes anyone feel any better...I went from DC3.0 (for my Evo) to his latest 3.1.1 T2, and I had this issue. I restored and it picked up weather right away...sooo maybe that helps narrow down a bit?
Going to a new ROM, after a wipe, clears everything, including cache. Restoring to an old ROM, the cache is still present. So, I think this is consistent with what we are seeing.

The question is, after a restore, what do your news articles say in terms of how long ago they were pulled?

RavenII

Dec 4, 2006
Well, with logcat running I didn't notice the errors as with when it doesn't get anything at all...no connection error. Butttt...lemme restore again (7th time so far...while bored at work)...and I'lll post back.

RavenII

Dec 4, 2006
Hmm..ok, I fold. I just checked, and the weather is from the 16th. News...all of it (even after refreshing) is from the 16th...now I'm curious.

danaff37

Mar 14, 2010
Nashville, TN
Just checked mine again, quit working now. Checked logcat, and no connect, only cache. Ping google, got some of the same ip's that I got when it worked. So I don't know what google's problem is, but I guess it's time to set up the news widget that came with zen's slide rom. Lol

-------------------------------------
Sent via the XDA Tapatalk App

ethandissi

Apr 9, 2010
while we wait i have a question.... so... how can i mod or whatever to make the genie widget transparent/clear?

KeRmiT80

Sep 10, 2007
Tegucigalpa - Honduras
open the apk file using 7zip (if you use windows rar can open but cannot replace the files inside) and replace the "appwidgetbackgroundsomething" :)p) in both res drawable mdpi and hdpi.

don't need to use the same dimensions of the original image...then update the apk and you're done.

then use rootexplorer or similar to replace the geniewidget.apk in the system/app/ directory. reboot advised but not necessary.

the rest is up to you :)

this is an example i made myself
attachment.php

mrinehart93

Oct 11, 2009
Chicago
Thank god it works again. I rely on it for all my news haha. I need to get out of recovery mode and make sure it works for me!

usq

Mar 5, 2010
oh yeah!

definitely a server-side problem that is now fixed in my area. it was down for almost three days. i really like this widget and am so glad to have it back. thanks for diving into it and giving it a try jschi.

cheers,
ryan