Screen flickering and poor grey reproduction

What LCD vendor do you have? (dial *#*#64663#*#* - Software version - TP Version)

• TIANMA

Votes: 57 95.0%
  • JDI

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 1 1.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

sas.mar

May 6, 2015
This thread is to discuss the notorious screen problem with our Mi A2 February Pie release. As I was digging around XDA and 4PDA it has become clear that there are at least two types of LCD vendor:

1) TIANMA
2) JDI

I suppose you to note the vendor in your comment and confirm wherever the screen flickers or not.

Mine is from TIANMA and it suffers from flickering with the new update.

There definitely can be much more vendors, we all know Xiaomi's policies, they just put whatever parts they can buy in their phones.

So I've made a small poll for all of us so our dissatisfaction could be made clear to our dearest Xiaomi developers.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Neel@1234

Mar 15, 2018
This thread is to discuss the notorious screen problem with our Mi A2 February Pie release. As I was digging around XDA and 4PDA it has become clear that there are at least two types of LCD vendor:

1) TIANMA
2) JDI

I suppose you to note the vendor in your comment and confirm wherever the screen flickers or not.

There definitely can be much more vendors, we all know Xiaomi's policies, they just put whatever parts they can buy in their phones.

So I've made a small poll for all of us so our dissatisfaction could be made clear to our dearest Xiaomi developers.

Cheers!
I think it's just a software issue.

You can fix the colour levels and flickering by simply flashing Hex kernel on stock February update. Mine's perfect now.

sas.mar

May 6, 2015
@Neel@1234

Hi, the thing is, some users in Russian forums report they don't face any issues. I think it's better to discuss at least something here and make some noise... =)
I guess that intense kernel tweaking made by Xiaomi doesn't affect some part of devices. That doesn't excuse them at all though =)

D

Deleted member 7639727

My guess is that is a bug with the color profile since I'm not able to turn on the sRGB option in settings.

Jole94

Feb 27, 2019
I just noticed about the screen flickering and its really annoying. Why are these things even happening... Once I upgraded to Pie with each "update" there is something wrong with the phone, be it minor or more serious issues like contacts messing up all the time. I expected clean and seamless experience when i bought this phone, but that's not what I got.

Reactions: Green Dude

salmonthefish

May 14, 2015
Tianma. Already voted. This is so annoying with darker/gray colored backgrounds. Watching youtube suuucks with this bug. But i do feel the phone to be a little snappier

AxelRaptor42

Jun 8, 2015
Tainma

The update seems pretty borked. I tried booting into safe mode and disabling HW overlays with no result.

jcunltd

Feb 23, 2015
Me Tianma

---------- Post added at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 PM ----------

1) color flickering while swiping on youtube.
2) colour gradient of gboard changed.
3) swipe left right causes difference in color

Reactions: Green Dude

Neel@1234

Mar 15, 2018
My LCD's from tianma. Now, for those of you who wish to fix this flickering problem, install Hex kernel. You'll lose OTA, but just flash the stock February boot images if you want to receive the march security update.

Download official TWRP - https://dl.twrp.me/jasmine_sprout/twrp-3.2.3-0-jasmine_sprout.img.html

Download Hex kernel - https://t.me/hexreleases/116

1) Reboot your phone to fastboot mode using volume down + power button.
2) Connect your phone to your pc. (I am assuming you have adb and the drivers installed and know just the basics of flashing)
3) Open cmd.
4) Type - fastboot devices
5) If it lists any device then you're ready to go.
6) Rename the TWRP that you download earlier to TWRP.img
7) Run the command - fastboot boot TWRP.img
8) Your phone will restart and boot into TWRP.
9) Once TWRP is loaded, Go to advanced settings in TWRP and turn on ADB sideload.
10) Rename the Hex kernel file you downloaded to HEX.zip
10) Open CMD on your PC and type the command -
adb sideload Hex.zip
11) Reboot to system from TWRP.

Done.

Last edited:

infatality

May 7, 2011
Singapore
OnePlus 5
Google Pixel 2 XL
My LCD's from tianma. Now, for those of you who wish to fix this flickering problem, install Hex kernel. You'll lose OTA, but just flash the stock February boot images if you want to receive the march security update.

Download official TWRP - https://dl.twrp.me/jasmine_sprout/twrp-3.2.3-0-jasmine_sprout.img.html

2) Connect your phone to your pc. (I am assuming you have adb and the drivers installed and know just the basics of flashing)
3) Open cmd.
9) Once TWRP is loaded, Go to advanced settings in TWRP and turn on ADB sideload.
adb sideload Hex.zip

Done.

How about magisk? How to have root?

Sent from my Mi A2 using XDA Labs

OverTheEdge

Jan 3, 2011
I have the JDI panel. I have the grayish issue but i haven't encountered the flickering.

I also encountered poor camera quality.

MaickonnBR

Mar 1, 2019
Hello, I'm suffering from the same problem. I even recorded a video reporting it (Since I'm a new user, I can not post the direct link from the video. But just put in the YouTube search):
Screen flickering on Xiaomi Mi A2 after February Pie release

Capturar.jpg

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

1) TIANMA
    2) JDI

Cheers!

3) Open cmd.
    adb sideload Hex.zip

Done.
    Hello,
    Can you please point the link for the official December ROM? Me too suffering from all the above issues with February patch, using Tianma, thanks.

Enviado desde mi Mi A2 mediante Tapatalk

http : // en. miui. com /download. html

You probably need to do it with this tool:

https : // c. mi. com / thread-1329226-1-0 . html
    Me Tianma

---------- Post added at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 PM ----------

1) color flickering while swiping on youtube.
    2) colour gradient of gboard changed.
    3) swipe left right causes difference in color

Exactly. Same here.
    Images and videos flickering in Chrome as well.
    Hello, I'm suffering from the same problem. I even recorded a video reporting it (Since I'm a new user, I can not post the direct link from the video. But just put in the YouTube search):
    Screen flickering on Xiaomi Mi A2 after February Pie release

Capturar.jpg