Wifi disconnects and reconnects constantly

Search This thread

PiCkLeS

Mar 30, 2006
Kristianstad
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
Hi,

just had the phone for an hour and almost right away after first setup the wifi radio disconnects/turns off and re-connects/turns on automatically every 20 seconds or so. No matter wich network I try.

Working fine with my S7 Edge laying here beside me, never had problems. I have three different networks around me I can try out.

Anyone had the same problem? I can find som info about this exact issue for the S7 Edge for some, but no solution from that works on the S8..

N

tim84us

Mar 12, 2013
this is an old problem S7 had
you need to toogle in settings > connectivity > wifi > advance > smart network swithc OFF

i think this was - but dont remember well since it was a while ago - but basically you need to turn off the option of phone switching between phone and wifi data

Reactions: johndavis29209

gsxrjjordan

Dec 25, 2012
Having the exact same problem with my Ubiquity wifi network (ie, not some janky cable company router) with my just-booted up S8. Smart switch was off by default, and after switching it 'on' and back 'off', no change.

This was the first thread I found on the topic, will update with any solutions.

EvoTillIdIE

Apr 1, 2011
Having the exact same problem with my Ubiquity wifi network (ie, not some janky cable company router) with my just-booted up S8. Smart switch was off by default, and after switching it 'on' and back 'off', no change.

This was the first thread I found on the topic, will update with any solutions.
Make sure hotspot2.0 is off

Sent from my SM-G950U using XDA Labs

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170420-193847.png
    Screenshot_20170420-193847.png
    236.7 KB · Views: 2,678

choccy31

Oct 16, 2009
Hi,

just had the phone for an hour and almost right away after first setup the wifi radio disconnects/turns off and re-connects/turns on automatically every 20 seconds or so. No matter wich network I try.

Working fine with my S7 Edge laying here beside me, never had problems. I have three different networks around me I can try out.

Anyone had the same problem? I can find som info about this exact issue for the S7 Edge for some, but no solution from that works on the S8..

N

Probably means you have virgin broadband like me ?

choccy31

Oct 16, 2009
Well I'm in Sweden and have no operator dependence. Neither for mobile or my home network (fiber connection owned by me).

This sucks though... I want this resolved :(

Try downloading wifi analysis app and see what it's picking up. Maybe you could try changing your wifi channel if it looks low?

choccy31

Oct 16, 2009
No this has nothing to do with the routers or access points. I am 3 meters from the AP, its at 100% signal rate etcetera..

This has to do with Samsung and the software.

Download the wifi analysis app and see what the phone picks up.

Also in wifi settings on phone disable sleep mode and put to always on!

tim84us

Mar 12, 2013
have u tried going to a free wifi spot (starbucks, mcdonalds) see if the issue persists - maybe is your router refusing connection

PiCkLeS

Mar 30, 2006
Kristianstad
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
have u tried going to a free wifi spot (starbucks, mcdonalds) see if the issue persists - maybe is your router refusing connection

As I wrote I have three different wifi to test with but yes makes no difference. This is a well known but not solved problem with Samsung phones.. three different makes of manufacturers, different settings with a/b/g/n and all show the same problems.

I also installed the small new update today for the firmware. Still same problem.

I'm guessing I'm about to get a replacement phone. I'll try that on Monday.

Reactions: joemill

gsxrjjordan

Dec 25, 2012
I'm not seeing the same problems with public wifi as I am with my Ubiquity Unify AC AP Pro access points at home - definitely weird.
When it is connected, I'm getting my usual 100mbps speeds, but it continues to drop regularly (not the every 10secs it did when I first powered it on, but every minute or so).

One thing that was mentioned was changing channel bandwidth from '40' to '20'... I don't see anywhere to do that on the S8?

gazzacbr

Dec 3, 2007
Dubai
I'm not seeing the same problems with public wifi as I am with my Ubiquity Unify AC AP Pro access points at home - definitely weird.
When it is connected, I'm getting my usual 100mbps speeds, but it continues to drop regularly (not the every 10secs it did when I first powered it on, but every minute or so).

One thing that was mentioned was changing channel bandwidth from '40' to '20'... I don't see anywhere to do that on the S8?
Doesn't that mean on your router?
By changing the broadcast bandwidth from 40 to 20 you will increase the signal produced (same power is covering less channels)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 dual sim using XDA-Developers Legacy app

jim302

Apr 21, 2017
I had this happen on a UniFi UAP-AC-Pro network with my S8 as well. I turned off Nearby Device Scanning on the S8 under Settings-> Connections -> More Connection Settings and that seemed to fix it. Strangely, I did not have the issue on my home network which has a single UAP-AC-LR access point with an otherwise similar configuration. Not sure if this setting change was really a fix, or if I just temporarily got lucky.

If turning off Nearby Device Scanning doesn't work for anyone, it might be worth playing with other settings within your network such as Band Steering. Some of these require turning on advanced features within the UniFi controller. Also I would be curious to hear whether those who have issues are on networks with a single access point, or larger installs with multiple access points.

Reactions: joemill

izeen

Jun 27, 2009
Very recently got the Samsung S8 and I'm having some wierd WiFi issues. When connecting to the network everything is fine i get almost maximum download/upload speeds(500/500) from my UniFi AP-AC-PRO. But after being connected for awhile 30-60mins the speed drops to around 30mbit downstream and upload around 200mbit. If i disconnect from the Wi-Fi and instantly reconnect i get full speed again. I've tried switching settings in the ap, went from everything on auto settings to static channel/transmit power and been trying vht40/80 but makes no difference. If i have smart network switching on i get disconnected and put on LTE instead. All my other devices have blazing WiFi speeds as usual. I'm gonna try turning of nearby device scanning and see if that helps.

I started a thread in the ubiquiti UniFi forum as well but i cant link that here(not enough posts on this xda account)

duckysempai

May 30, 2007
Very recently got the Samsung S8 and I'm having some wierd WiFi issues. When connecting to the network everything is fine i get almost maximum download/upload speeds(500/500) from my UniFi AP-AC-PRO. But after being connected for awhile 30-60mins the speed drops to around 30mbit downstream and upload around 200mbit. If i disconnect from the Wi-Fi and instantly reconnect i get full speed again. I've tried switching settings in the ap, went from everything on auto settings to static channel/transmit power and been trying vht40/80 but makes no difference. If i have smart network switching on i get disconnected and put on LTE instead. All my other devices have blazing WiFi speeds as usual. I'm gonna try turning of nearby device scanning and see if that helps.

I started a thread in the ubiquiti UniFi forum as well but i cant link that here(not enough posts on this xda account)

I'm having the exact same problem as you. Wifi connects at full speed at first, then after a while speed drops. Has gone down to 1Mbps numerous times. Disconnecting then reconnecting fixes it for a while then it starts all over again. I'm connected to a TP-Link AC1900 running dd-wrt. May try going back to stock firmware on the router to see if that helps.

MintHat

Apr 25, 2017
So has anyone come up with a permanent solution to this? I'm in the same boat with my ac-ap-pro and s8+. Disconnects every 20 seconds or so.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    this is an old problem S7 had
    you need to toogle in settings > connectivity > wifi > advance > smart network swithc OFF

i think this was - but dont remember well since it was a while ago - but basically you need to turn off the option of phone switching between phone and wifi data

As I wrote I have three different wifi to test with but yes makes no difference. This is a well known but not solved problem with Samsung phones.. three different makes of manufacturers, different settings with a/b/g/n and all show the same problems.

I also installed the small new update today for the firmware. Still same problem.

I'm guessing I'm about to get a replacement phone. I'll try that on Monday.
    I had this happen on a UniFi UAP-AC-Pro network with my S8 as well. I turned off Nearby Device Scanning on the S8 under Settings-> Connections -> More Connection Settings and that seemed to fix it. Strangely, I did not have the issue on my home network which has a single UAP-AC-LR access point with an otherwise similar configuration. Not sure if this setting change was really a fix, or if I just temporarily got lucky.

If turning off Nearby Device Scanning doesn't work for anyone, it might be worth playing with other settings within your network such as Band Steering. Some of these require turning on advanced features within the UniFi controller. Also I would be curious to hear whether those who have issues are on networks with a single access point, or larger installs with multiple access points.
    Found the solution (for me at least). Although it looks like the Wifi is disconnecting it actually isn't. It's just that the S8's aggressive power management kicks in at the same time Wifi goes into 'sleep' mode and blocks the apps that would normally be receiving push notifications (Gmail, Nine mail etc). This stops them from receiving notifications and makes it look as though wifi has disconnected. I followed the steps here then RESTARTED the phone, and now all is fixed:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bensin...s-just-like-chinese-smartphones/#2fa8629b7a91