[MOD][APP]LP/KK/JB/ICS Email APK with Exchange Security removed (Updated May 2015)

Search This thread

ProcessorHog

Jul 30, 2010
(edited some content and added a few more instructions on May 25 2015)

I initially posted this when my employer changed their policies to require device admin access to people's phones if they wanted to access company emails or calendars. Spent a few days reading the android source code and came up with a working apk.

This app removes the annoying popup saying that you need to give it admin permissions and add a numeric password. It also does not set any additional policies other than what you already have set on your device. It does not make the email app a device admin.

The app tells the server what it wants to hear - which is they have total control over the device, but it doesn't really do anything on the phone.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not responsible if:
  • You get fired (a very real possiblilty - companies fire people for far less than "circumventing security" even though most of us know that regular folks' emails have nothing valuable to the competition.
  • If you get in other sorts of trouble for using this
  • if this melts your device down or breaks it in any fashion or your ROM gets corrupted.
USE THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

How to install:
Copy the files onto your phone storage and install them using a file explorer.

NOTES (read this before you install):
  • This will install easily on phones that do not have email.apk and exchange2.apk. But if you have an AOSP ROM, you may already have these in your system/app directory. In that case, you'll have to uninstall the system apps email.apk and exchange or exchange2.apk using a root explorer. I use ES explorer's "App Manager" feature and it works well for me. Once the system apps are removed, you can install the files from this post.
  • If you update your ROM later, the system apps will come back and may conflict with these apks (installed in /data by default) so you'll have to do the removal/installation again.
  • You don't need Exchange.apk AND exchange2.apk on the same phone. If you use an ICS ROM (older phones), use exchange.apk. For JB or higher, Exchange2 is the one to use. If you already have exchange2.apk on your phone, you don't need to install the one from this post.
  • I compiled this from source, so it *should* work with all devices. There are no device-specific frameworks needed for these to run as far as I know.
  • I've only removed the Exchange based security. If there are any other kind of services (POP/IMAP or something else) which has similar policy enforcement, it may not work. I haven't tested it with anything other than Exchange.

UPDATE - Sep 27, 2015)
I'm sorry I disappeared - I hadn't checked back in a while and it looks like I uploaded the wrong apk. Uploading the correct one for Lpllipop.

UPDATE 4 (May 25, 2015)
Patched and compiled the Lollipop email client from CM12 sources. Google remoived exchange support from the AOSP email client, so I had to turn to CM12 for the source code.

The default Exchange2.apk from a CM or AOSP lollipop build should work so I'm not uploading it here.

UPDATE 2 (May 15, 2013)
Added Email.apk compiled from 4.2.2 sources. This gives you the nice JB style expandable notifications.

Also added higher attachment size support per a user request. The default email.apk limits the size to 5MB for atachment downloads/uploads. The attached Email-JB.apk supports 100MB download/50MB upload sizes. I'm not sure if this varies by Exchange server - I spent two whole nights because I set them too high (250M) and my exchange server threw a generic error. I spent the time troubleshooting policies where it was just the attachment size all along. Cost me 8 hours of sleep :)

Exchange2.apk is not needed if your phone already has Exchange.apk or Exchange2.apk. For people who have HTC phones, this may come in useful. This file was pulled from this ROM - which is compiled from sources. I couldn't get Exchange2 to compile and work properly from sources, but since there is nothing to be changed in here, any working APK (from a JB/ICS ROM) would suffice.

UPDATE 3 (Jan 11, 2014)
Added Email.apk compiled from 4.4.2 sources. This gives you the new gmail-style email view based on the contact pics or the first letter of the sender's name.

It will say that the policy was changed once you successfully connect to the exchange server, but no policy will be applied. You can check the device admins list once you connect - the newly connected exchange server will not be in the device admins list on your phone.

Notes:
  1. I have not made any changes to the Exchange2_4_4_2.apk. I'm just pasting it here for convenience, for people who don't have it on their phones (certain HTC stock ROMS, or others that I don't know of).
  2. If your server has other policies which prevent you from accessing it, this probably won't show an error message before bouncing you back because I've suppressed a few of these security related dialogs.

File List
May 25, 2015
Email-5_0.apk - Compiled from CM12 sources, exchange security and popup security dialogs removed, max attachment sizes changed to 100MB download/50MB upload from 5/5.
No exchange2.apk provided for lollipop - the one already on your phone should work. If you have any problems, please get it from a CM12 or AOSP ROM.

--- Old files----
Email.APK - Compiled from ICS (4.0.1) sources.
Exchange.apk - Compiled from ICS (4.0.1) sources.

May 15, 2013:
Email-JB.apk - Compiled from 4.2.2 sources, attachment sizes increased to 100MB/50MB down/up.
Exchange2.apk - pulled from a CM10.1 port (WFTN ROM)

Jan 11, 2014
Email-4_4_2.apk - Compiled from 4.4.2 (Kit Kat) sources, still retains the increased attachment size mod.
Exchange2-4_4_2.apk - Compiled from 4.4.2 sources [this apk is not needed unless you have a phone which does not already have this]

Attachments

• Email.apk
    2.5 MB · Views: 5,908
  • Exchange.apk
    632.4 KB · Views: 4,050
  • Exchange2.apk
    880.3 KB · Views: 4,554
  • Email-JB.apk
    2.9 MB · Views: 5,279
  • Email_4_4_2.apk
    4.6 MB · Views: 4,156
  • Exchange2_4_4_2.apk
    1.1 MB · Views: 3,652
  • Email-5.0.apk
    6.1 MB · Views: 3,297
Last edited:

luisjoseb

Jul 28, 2008
Medellin
luisjoseb.googlepages.com
I'm happy to post my first actual Android dev/mod effort.

Recently my workplace introduced some draconian security policies for email syncing. I just wanted my appointments synced, so I didn't feel like encrypting my device, having zero timeout AND not even having the option of a pattern unlock (they enforce only passwords/PIN). I tried a couple of the Email.apks posted on XDA but for some reason or other, I couldn't get them to install/run. There was a GB based app which would install but when it synced, it said the device did not support some of the policies that were needed by the server. When I compared the Email app's GB source with the ICS source, I saw that there were tons more policies supported in the ICS version.

So I set upon a weekend project to modify the ICS email app, and that ended up taking 4 days part time. I learned a lot about aosp, compiling from source and all that and know that I have so much that I don't know.

Anyway, I was able to successfully modify the source code and finally managed to get the original Android Email app (which comes with AOSP) compiled running perfect, but without the ridiculous policies they wanted.

I tested it on my Evo 3D running MeanRom (4.0.3 build) and also tested it on the Android emulator of course :eek:), and it works great. No annoying popup saying that you need to give it device admin permissions nor does it set any additional policies other than what you already have set on your device. It does not make the email app a device admin.

The app tells the server what it wants to hear - which is they have total control over my device, but it doesn't really do it on the phone. Everyone is happy :D

DISCLAIMER: I'm not responsible if you get fired or if you get in other sorts of trouble for using this, or if this melts your device down or breaks it in any fashion. USE THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

How to install:
Code:
adb install -r /path/on/your/computer/to/Email.apk

This is how I installed it. Alternatively, you can try downloading this on your phone (or copying it to the SD Card) and open it with package installer, and see if it installs.

NOTES:
  • I compiled this from source, so it *should* work with other devices as well. As far as I know, there are no device-specific frameworks/anything else needed for these to run. I used the android-4.0.1_r1 branch source code.
  • Since I was running MeanROM on my HTC (a sense-based ROM), Email.apk had some dependencies on Exchange.apk which did not exist on my device. I'm posting this as an attachment for the folks who may need it. I haven't changed any code in that project, so If you already have Exchange.apk (shows up as "Exchange Services" in your Apps) you don't need to install it.
  • I've only removed the Exchange based security. If there are any other kind of services (POP/IMAP or something else) which has similar policy enforcement, it may not work. I haven't tested it with anything other than Exchange.
  • This was compiled for the arm-v7 CPU. I'm not too sure whether this means it won't run on any other ones (but knowing that it's dalvik code and not native, it should run I guess). It ran fine on my x-86 based emulator.

[*]This is an eng build (non-optimized). I couldn't find a way to get classes.dex in the APK itself on a full "user" release build. Eng is the least optimized form, userdebug is a bit better. I couldn't find a non-device-specific "lunch" option to build this with a "userdebug" variant flag. If I do figure it out, I'll post an updated APK here.

• I'm still learning how to use eclipse and such. I haven't posted the source code here, and frankly I don't know how much of it I should post (I think I changed about 3 files and commented out a bunch of stuff). If anyone is interested in knowing, I can point out the files that I changed. If I figure out how to do a proper diff that shows all the changes, I will post the code diff here.

Update:

Replaced the apks with a "release-user" build.

Thanks for share it, I made a CWM flasheable ZIP with your files.

Attachments

• email-aosp-ics.zip
    2 MB · Views: 1,040

carm01

Jun 17, 2011
Ohio - land of the boring

Recently my workplace introduced some draconian security policies for email syncing. I just wanted my appointments synced, so I didn't feel like encrypting my device, having zero timeout AND not even having the option of a pattern unlock (they enforce only passwords/PIN). I tried a couple of the Email.apks posted on XDA but for some reason or other, I couldn't get them to install/run. There was a GB based app which would install but when it synced, it said the device did not support some of the policies that were needed by the server. When I compared the Email app's GB source with the ICS source, I saw that there were tons more policies supported in the ICS version.

So I set upon a weekend project to modify the ICS email app, and that ended up taking 4 days part time. I learned a lot about aosp, compiling from source and all that and know that I have so much that I don't know.

Anyway, I was able to successfully modify the source code and finally managed to get the original Android Email app (which comes with AOSP) compiled running perfect, but without the ridiculous policies they wanted.

I tested it on my Evo 3D running MeanRom (4.0.3 build) and also tested it on the Android emulator of course :eek:), and it works great. No annoying popup saying that you need to give it device admin permissions nor does it set any additional policies other than what you already have set on your device. It does not make the email app a device admin.

The app tells the server what it wants to hear - which is they have total control over my device, but it doesn't really do it on the phone. Everyone is happy :D

DISCLAIMER: I'm not responsible if you get fired or if you get in other sorts of trouble for using this, or if this melts your device down or breaks it in any fashion. USE THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

How to install:
Code:

This is how I installed it. Alternatively, you can try downloading this on your phone (or copying it to the SD Card) and open it with package installer, and see if it installs.

NOTES:
  • I compiled this from source, so it *should* work with other devices as well. As far as I know, there are no device-specific frameworks/anything else needed for these to run. I used the android-4.0.1_r1 branch source code.
  • Since I was running MeanROM on my HTC (a sense-based ROM), Email.apk had some dependencies on Exchange.apk which did not exist on my device. I'm posting this as an attachment for the folks who may need it. I haven't changed any code in that project, so If you already have Exchange.apk (shows up as "Exchange Services" in your Apps) you don't need to install it.
  • This was compiled for the arm-v7 CPU. I'm not too sure whether this means it won't run on any other ones (but knowing that it's dalvik code and not native, it should run I guess). It ran fine on my x-86 based emulator.

[*]This is an eng build (non-optimized). I couldn't find a way to get classes.dex in the APK itself on a full "user" release build. Eng is the least optimized form, userdebug is a bit better. I couldn't find a non-device-specific "lunch" option to build this with a "userdebug" variant flag. If I do figure it out, I'll post an updated APK here.

• I'm still learning how to use eclipse and such. I haven't posted the source code here, and frankly I don't know how much of it I should post (I think I changed about 3 files and commented out a bunch of stuff). If anyone is interested in knowing, I can point out the files that I changed. If I figure out how to do a proper diff that shows all the changes, I will post the code diff here.

Update:

what part of the smali code was modified please?

pbmurdoc

Feb 6, 2013
I could use some help. I'm trying to run this on SOS M ver 2.6.2 (4.0.3 build) on an Evo 3d. I was under the impression that SOS M was similar enough to Mean ROM so that it would work, but all I'm getting is an immediate crash on startup. Any suggestions?

sirtom1

Oct 12, 2009
So glad that someone created this! THANK YOU SO MUCH!
The new security rules are ridiculous!

I wish that app would be maintained with the current version and be put in the google play store. How can I keep up to date with the most recent version of this app?

ProcessorHog

Jul 30, 2010
Recent update

Sorry I haven't been here much - life got too busy! If you post here and don't see a reply from me in a couple of days, feel free to send me a PM.

what part of the smali code was modified please?
No smali code was modified, the apk was compiled directly from the java source code which I modified to take out a few annoying dialog boxes and the actual policies/restrictions that the server wants to set on your device.

Would this work on 4.2?
The ICS version worked fine on 4.2 since it's just regular java code compiled from source, but I recently also added an APK compiled from 4.2.2 sources which has the expanded notifications (the ICS version didn't have it).

I could use some help. I'm trying to run this on SOS M ver 2.6.2 (4.0.3 build) on an Evo 3d. I was under the impression that SOS M was similar enough to Mean ROM so that it would work, but all I'm getting is an immediate crash on startup. Any suggestions?
Could you try the newly updated APK? Make sure your phone has exchange2.apk or exchange.apk as well. Some phones do not have these pre-installed.

So glad that someone created this! THANK YOU SO MUCH!
The new security rules are ridiculous!

I wish that app would be maintained with the current version and be put in the google play store. How can I keep up to date with the most recent version of this app?
I don't think this can be put on the play store - I don't regularly maintain it (once compiled it should run without problems), and I recently updated it just because I finally got a JB ROM a few months ago and started missing the expanded notification. The next update will probably be after a long time - after the next version of android gets released.

I'm not bright enough to write something complex like the email app - there's a TON of code in it written by smart and talented people, I just dug around a little to find the policy application code and removed it. The real talented folks are the ones who actually contribute to android :)

Last edited:

KhaledAbdo

Sep 11, 2012
Cairo
xdaforums.com
thank you .. working like a charm ..

Desire with MIUI Rom (VJ - JB-4.1.2)
I had to use this mod as the latest build didnt have an Email app .. and other ROMs' Email2.apk didnt work on this one (due to mishandling the security request) .. !
anyways .. thank you .. :)

cat2115

Feb 23, 2008
Thanks. I try on US T-mobile HTC One S JB 4.1.1 Sense and it works. I use Email-JB.apk and Exchange.apk

elroy944

Oct 8, 2007
thanks for this, it's working on my galaxy s4 (android 4.2.2) now instead of that ugly samsung mail app. 1 thing i'm missing is option in the nice JB style expandable notifications to directly mark as read or delete the email in the notification panel. this option is present in cm10.1/aosp android 4.2.2 but not in this email app. Is it possible to add this?

Last edited:

ProcessorHog

Jul 30, 2010
thanks for this, it's working on my galaxy s4 (android 4.2.2) now instead of that ugly samsung mail app. 1 thing i'm missing is option in the nice JB style expandable notifications to directly mark as read or delete the email in the notification panel. this option is present in cm10.1/aosp android 4.2.2 but not in this email app. Is it possible to add this?

For this, I'll have to compile from CM10.1 sources. I haven't tried that - I'll give it a shot when I get some free time and will post the APK here if I manage to do that :)

DeaconBoogie

Aug 20, 2010
Omaha, NE
Getting an error on adb install... Running JDQ39 official Google version for Galaxy Nexus. Rooted/etc, obviously. Leankernel 16.something.

Is this only for AOSP ROMs?

Error I am receiving:

pkg: /data/local/tmp/Email-JB.apk
Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_CONFLICTING_PROVIDER]

DeaconBoogie

Aug 20, 2010
Omaha, NE
No dice...

I managed to get it installed by using Titanium to uninstall Email 4.1 prior to installing yours. This gave me endless "Unfortunately, Email has stopped working" errors.

I installed a fresh AOSP 4.2.2 ROM and tried several iterations of uninstalling Email and Exchange2Google.apk and continue to get the "Unfortunately, Email has stopped working" errors.

I've tried using "apk install" and Package Installer, same results regardless of install method.

Reactions: pitbull123

Gatak

Jan 3, 2010
Works fine on TF101 EeePad Transformer (EOS4) and Galaxy Ace phone (CM10)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    (edited some content and added a few more instructions on May 25 2015)

I initially posted this when my employer changed their policies to require device admin access to people's phones if they wanted to access company emails or calendars. Spent a few days reading the android source code and came up with a working apk.

This app removes the annoying popup saying that you need to give it admin permissions and add a numeric password. It also does not set any additional policies other than what you already have set on your device. It does not make the email app a device admin.

The app tells the server what it wants to hear - which is they have total control over the device, but it doesn't really do anything on the phone.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not responsible if:
    • You get fired (a very real possiblilty - companies fire people for far less than "circumventing security" even though most of us know that regular folks' emails have nothing valuable to the competition.
    • If you get in other sorts of trouble for using this
    • if this melts your device down or breaks it in any fashion or your ROM gets corrupted.
    USE THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

How to install:
    Copy the files onto your phone storage and install them using a file explorer.

NOTES (read this before you install):
    • This will install easily on phones that do not have email.apk and exchange2.apk. But if you have an AOSP ROM, you may already have these in your system/app directory. In that case, you'll have to uninstall the system apps email.apk and exchange or exchange2.apk using a root explorer. I use ES explorer's "App Manager" feature and it works well for me. Once the system apps are removed, you can install the files from this post.
    • If you update your ROM later, the system apps will come back and may conflict with these apks (installed in /data by default) so you'll have to do the removal/installation again.
    • You don't need Exchange.apk AND exchange2.apk on the same phone. If you use an ICS ROM (older phones), use exchange.apk. For JB or higher, Exchange2 is the one to use. If you already have exchange2.apk on your phone, you don't need to install the one from this post.
    • I compiled this from source, so it *should* work with all devices. There are no device-specific frameworks needed for these to run as far as I know.

UPDATE - Sep 27, 2015)
    I'm sorry I disappeared - I hadn't checked back in a while and it looks like I uploaded the wrong apk. Uploading the correct one for Lpllipop.

UPDATE 4 (May 25, 2015)
    Patched and compiled the Lollipop email client from CM12 sources. Google remoived exchange support from the AOSP email client, so I had to turn to CM12 for the source code.

The default Exchange2.apk from a CM or AOSP lollipop build should work so I'm not uploading it here.

UPDATE 2 (May 15, 2013)
    Added Email.apk compiled from 4.2.2 sources. This gives you the nice JB style expandable notifications.

Also added higher attachment size support per a user request. The default email.apk limits the size to 5MB for atachment downloads/uploads. The attached Email-JB.apk supports 100MB download/50MB upload sizes. I'm not sure if this varies by Exchange server - I spent two whole nights because I set them too high (250M) and my exchange server threw a generic error. I spent the time troubleshooting policies where it was just the attachment size all along. Cost me 8 hours of sleep :)

Exchange2.apk is not needed if your phone already has Exchange.apk or Exchange2.apk. For people who have HTC phones, this may come in useful. This file was pulled from this ROM - which is compiled from sources. I couldn't get Exchange2 to compile and work properly from sources, but since there is nothing to be changed in here, any working APK (from a JB/ICS ROM) would suffice.

UPDATE 3 (Jan 11, 2014)
    Added Email.apk compiled from 4.4.2 sources. This gives you the new gmail-style email view based on the contact pics or the first letter of the sender's name.

It will say that the policy was changed once you successfully connect to the exchange server, but no policy will be applied. You can check the device admins list once you connect - the newly connected exchange server will not be in the device admins list on your phone.

Notes:
    1. I have not made any changes to the Exchange2_4_4_2.apk. I'm just pasting it here for convenience, for people who don't have it on their phones (certain HTC stock ROMS, or others that I don't know of).
    2. If your server has other policies which prevent you from accessing it, this probably won't show an error message before bouncing you back because I've suppressed a few of these security related dialogs.

File List
    May 25, 2015
    Email-5_0.apk - Compiled from CM12 sources, exchange security and popup security dialogs removed, max attachment sizes changed to 100MB download/50MB upload from 5/5.
    No exchange2.apk provided for lollipop - the one already on your phone should work. If you have any problems, please get it from a CM12 or AOSP ROM.

--- Old files----
    Email.APK - Compiled from ICS (4.0.1) sources.
    Exchange.apk - Compiled from ICS (4.0.1) sources.

May 15, 2013:
    Email-JB.apk - Compiled from 4.2.2 sources, attachment sizes increased to 100MB/50MB down/up.
    Exchange2.apk - pulled from a CM10.1 port (WFTN ROM)

Jan 11, 2014
    Email-4_4_2.apk - Compiled from 4.4.2 (Kit Kat) sources, still retains the increased attachment size mod.
    Exchange2-4_4_2.apk - Compiled from 4.4.2 sources [this apk is not needed unless you have a phone which does not already have this]
    Kit Kat version uploaded

I've compiled the apks from 4.4.2 (Kit Kat) sources and have uploaded it here. See first post.

Enjoy :)

How to install:
    Code:

NOTES:

Update:

Thanks for share it, I made a CWM flasheable ZIP with your files.
    No dice...

I managed to get it installed by using Titanium to uninstall Email 4.1 prior to installing yours. This gave me endless "Unfortunately, Email has stopped working" errors.

I installed a fresh AOSP 4.2.2 ROM and tried several iterations of uninstalling Email and Exchange2Google.apk and continue to get the "Unfortunately, Email has stopped working" errors.

I've tried using "apk install" and Package Installer, same results regardless of install method.