[01 FEB][RECOVERY] ClockworkMod Recovery for HD2 - v1.3

Search This thread

RaiderX303

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 16, 2009
Merseyside
READ ALL OF THE OP BEFORE POSTING QUESTIONS

The Intro;
As we now have NAND booting for the HD2, its time we also had a way to flash ROMs from the SD aswell so here we have ClockworkMod Recovery compiled for the HD2. It is fully working except ROM Manager is not supported.

Recovery can now boot from NAND instead of the old SD Card boot method, to flash the rom, download the recovery with the partition layout you require, then flash as you would a standard NAND rom using DAF and MAGLDR USB Flasher. then select AD Recovery to load into recovery.

MAGLDR v1.13 IS REQUIRED, OLDER VERSIONS ARE NOT SUPPORTED, DOWNLOAD v1.13 HERE

Kind note to Devs;
Please stop posting modified flash.cfg files for use with CWM

CWM is designed to make it easier to flash roms without needing a windows PC, if you post a different flash.cfg in each rom thread then it defeats this purpose as a pc will be required for flashing each layout.

Stick to using the default partition layouts or use USB flasher

WARNING MESSAGES:
GOING FROM A DAF FLASHED ROM TO A RECOVERY FLASHED ROM WILL WIPE ALL DATA
IF YOU FLASH ANOTHER ROM USING DAF, RECOVERY WILL NO LONGER WORK CORRECTLY, YOU WILL NEED TO REFLASH RECOVERY

Features;
-Flash ROMs in update.zip format
-Backup and restore ROMs using Nandroid
-Flash ROMs from the SD card without use of a PC
-Easilly Wipe all Data/Cache
-Repartition SD card for use with Apps2SD
-Full Root ADB access
-Fix app permissions

How to use;
For MAGLDR NAND Boot;
1. Download recovery with partition size for the type of rom you plan on using, see guide below if unsure.
2. Extract downloaded file and load magldr into USB Flasher mode.
3. Run DAF.exe and follow instructions
4. After completed and phone reboots, hold power key and select AD Recovery from list
5. Recovery will now load

For old style SD Boot;
1. download one of the partition files for SD Boot, if you don't know which one you need, use the 250M one or check with rom developer.
2. Extract downloaded zip to a folder of your choice
3. Copy contents of copy_to_sd_root (initrd.gz and zImage) to the root of your sd card
4. boot into magldr and select USB Flasher option while phone is connected to PC
5. Run DAF.exe included in the zip and follow onscreen instructions.
6. After complete, again boot into magldr and select "Boot AD SD" option
7. ClockworkMod recovery should load, you can flash a rom from here.

Video Tutorials;

Downloads;

Changelog;
v1.3;
-Supports AD Recovery in MAGLDR
-MAGLDR v1.13 REQUIRED Download HERE
-400MB Partition layout now works with 512MB LEO for roms with Data2SD

v1.2;
-Fixed SD-EXT Backup/Restore/Wipe

v1.1;
-Updated ClockworkMod to 3.0.0.5, now based on Gingerbread Source

v1.0;
- Initial Release

Q&A;
Q. Ive flashed v1.3 but cant access recovery anymore.
A. Make sure you are using MAGLDR 1.13 and are selecting "AD Recovery" instead of "Boot AD SD"

Q. Ive downloaded v1.3 but there is no copy_to_sd folder
A. Recovery no longer requires any files on the SD card, just flash it like a standard nand rom and select "AD Recovery in magldr menu

Q. Can I change the partition sizes used for CWM
A. You can by editing the flash.cfg but this is not recommended, CWM is designed to make it easier for switching roms, by flashing a custom partition size you may stop other roms working and require reflashing a new partition size when you want to change roms.

Q. I dont know which partition size to download
A. Depending on what type of roms you plan on using, you should choose the partition size based on the following.
150MB Partition - For bare roms including CyanogenMod, AOSP, and MiUI
250MB Partition - For Standard sense roms including Desire and EVo based ROMs, can also be used for some squashed HD builds
400MB Partition - For Larger roms including unsquashed Desire HD and Z roms, ROMs REQUIRE data2sd for EU HD2 with 512MB NAND

*I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE CAUSED TO YOUR DEVICE BY USING THIS RECOVERY IMAGE*
Notes for devs;
Please add tags to the title of your threads stating if they are to be flashed with recovery or DAF, [ZIP] for recovery update.zip and [USB] if its installed over usb using daf.
The cache partition is only 10MB so that recovery can still use it, to get cache to work in android, make a directory in data called cachemnt and on boot symlink /cache to /data/cachemnt, this does not apply when using 150M partition size

Credits go to;
-Cotulla + DFT for the great work for Android on NAND
-CyanogenMod team for work on recovery
-Anyone else who has made the HD2 a great device

Last edited:

DroidTh3ory

Dec 12, 2010
Troy, Michigan
www.droid-hive.com
As we now have NAND booting for the HD2, its time we also had a way to flash ROMs from the SD aswell so here we have ClockworkMod Recovery compiled for the HD2. It is fully working except ROM Manager support still has some issues. See below for features and how to use.

Because ROMs are not flashed using DAF, a set partition layout is required before flashing any ROMs using recovery, included in the download is DAF which is configured to create the required partitioning, just run as you normally would to flash a NAND ROM and you are set to flash a new ROM through recovery

WARNING: GOING FROM A DAF FLASHED ROM TO A RECOVERY FLASHED ROM WILL WIPE ALL DATA

WARNING: IF YOU FLASH ANOTHER ROM USING DAF, RECOVERY WILL NO LONGER WORK CORRECTLY, YOU WILL NEED TO REFLASH THE PARTITIONING TO USE RECOVERY AGAIN

Features;
-Full Root ADB access
-Fix app permissions

How to use;
1. Copy content of copy_to_sd_root folder to the root of your SD card
2. Power on phone holding power button to access magldr menu
3. Select "USB Flasher" option
4. Run DAF.exe and go through installer to set required partition layout
5. After reboot repeat step 2 to access menu again
6. Select "Boot AD SD" and recovery will load

Download;
-v1.0-DOWNLOAD

Changelog;
v1.0
- Initial Release

*I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE CAUSED TO YOUR DEVICE BY USING THIS RECOVERY IMAGE*

Request for devs;
Please add tags to the title of your threads stating if they are to be flashed with recovery or DAF, [ZIP] for recovery update.zip and [USB] if its installed over usb using daf.

Credits go to;

You have to be ****ting me!!! Great work!!! Soon... Nandroid Got Your Back. LOL.

---
Sent from my HD2 DROID.

mattfmartin

Mar 25, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
@Raiderx
Is the rom manager support you are talking about the ability to flash different themes and stuff of that nature in recover mode? Also can we expect it in the future?

Reactions: eu9

DroidTh3ory

Dec 12, 2010
Troy, Michigan
www.droid-hive.com
Just to clarify the instructions... Do we extract the Downloaded zip to the Root of the Sd Card then flash What ROM we will be using? Words in bold are my keys...

Thanks

EDIT: Scratch that.. I guess I should have opened the Zip first.

This is Bad Ass!!

jhr5474

Sep 20, 2010
Holley, Oregon
to cool

However I am confused about where I will get roms for this. Do I just use a nand rom and rename it update.zip? If so which files I am happy. Feels like the old G1 days. I am very confused about where to get the roms though.

HELP SOMEONE PLEASE!!!!!!!!

mattfmartin

Mar 25, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
@Raider x
What I was getting at, I always see native android threads talking about flashing themes through recovery. Well we be able to do that with this?

RaiderX303

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 16, 2009
Merseyside
However I am confused about where I will get roms for this. Do I just use a nand rom and rename it update.zip? If so which files I am happy. Feels like the old G1 days. I am very confused about where to get the roms though.

Devs will need to release ROMs in update.zip format, there are none currently released although i am in the process of uploading one, you then copy the zip the dev provides to the root of the SD, and flash like you did on the G1

@Raider x
What I was getting at, I always see native android threads talking about flashing themes through recovery. Well we be able to do that with this?

you will be able to flash themes using recovery once theme devs create them

Reactions: stinkiporker

Clom801

May 18, 2010
Rialto,CA

+1 good question, are we clear to load nand roms already or do the devs have to modify what they have? I think I will wait until more clarification.

Edit: thanks for the clarification

Last edited:

DroidTh3ory

Dec 12, 2010
Troy, Michigan
www.droid-hive.com

Yeah, We need some ROMS converted to flashable.zip's... I'm goning to load up CW now just so I can see it. LOL

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    READ ALL OF THE OP BEFORE POSTING QUESTIONS

The Intro;
    As we now have NAND booting for the HD2, its time we also had a way to flash ROMs from the SD aswell so here we have ClockworkMod Recovery compiled for the HD2. It is fully working except ROM Manager is not supported.

Recovery can now boot from NAND instead of the old SD Card boot method, to flash the rom, download the recovery with the partition layout you require, then flash as you would a standard NAND rom using DAF and MAGLDR USB Flasher. then select AD Recovery to load into recovery.

MAGLDR v1.13 IS REQUIRED, OLDER VERSIONS ARE NOT SUPPORTED, DOWNLOAD v1.13 HERE

Kind note to Devs;
    Please stop posting modified flash.cfg files for use with CWM

CWM is designed to make it easier to flash roms without needing a windows PC, if you post a different flash.cfg in each rom thread then it defeats this purpose as a pc will be required for flashing each layout.

Stick to using the default partition layouts or use USB flasher

WARNING MESSAGES:
    GOING FROM A DAF FLASHED ROM TO A RECOVERY FLASHED ROM WILL WIPE ALL DATA
    IF YOU FLASH ANOTHER ROM USING DAF, RECOVERY WILL NO LONGER WORK CORRECTLY, YOU WILL NEED TO REFLASH RECOVERY

Features;
    -Full Root ADB access
    -Fix app permissions

How to use;
    For MAGLDR NAND Boot;
    1. Download recovery with partition size for the type of rom you plan on using, see guide below if unsure.
    2. Extract downloaded file and load magldr into USB Flasher mode.
    3. Run DAF.exe and follow instructions
    4. After completed and phone reboots, hold power key and select AD Recovery from list
    5. Recovery will now load

For old style SD Boot;
    1. download one of the partition files for SD Boot, if you don't know which one you need, use the 250M one or check with rom developer.
    2. Extract downloaded zip to a folder of your choice
    3. Copy contents of copy_to_sd_root (initrd.gz and zImage) to the root of your sd card
    4. boot into magldr and select USB Flasher option while phone is connected to PC
    5. Run DAF.exe included in the zip and follow onscreen instructions.
    6. After complete, again boot into magldr and select "Boot AD SD" option
    7. ClockworkMod recovery should load, you can flash a rom from here.

Video Tutorials;

Downloads;

Changelog;
    v1.3;
    -Supports AD Recovery in MAGLDR
    -MAGLDR v1.13 REQUIRED Download HERE
    -400MB Partition layout now works with 512MB LEO for roms with Data2SD

v1.2;
    -Fixed SD-EXT Backup/Restore/Wipe

v1.1;
    -Updated ClockworkMod to 3.0.0.5, now based on Gingerbread Source

v1.0;
    - Initial Release

Q&A;
    Q. Ive flashed v1.3 but cant access recovery anymore.
    A. Make sure you are using MAGLDR 1.13 and are selecting "AD Recovery" instead of "Boot AD SD"

Q. Ive downloaded v1.3 but there is no copy_to_sd folder
    A. Recovery no longer requires any files on the SD card, just flash it like a standard nand rom and select "AD Recovery in magldr menu

Q. Can I change the partition sizes used for CWM
    A. You can by editing the flash.cfg but this is not recommended, CWM is designed to make it easier for switching roms, by flashing a custom partition size you may stop other roms working and require reflashing a new partition size when you want to change roms.

Q. I dont know which partition size to download
    A. Depending on what type of roms you plan on using, you should choose the partition size based on the following.
    150MB Partition - For bare roms including CyanogenMod, AOSP, and MiUI
    250MB Partition - For Standard sense roms including Desire and EVo based ROMs, can also be used for some squashed HD builds
    400MB Partition - For Larger roms including unsquashed Desire HD and Z roms, ROMs REQUIRE data2sd for EU HD2 with 512MB NAND

Notes for devs;
    The cache partition is only 10MB so that recovery can still use it, to get cache to work in android, make a directory in data called cachemnt and on boot symlink /cache to /data/cachemnt, this does not apply when using 150M partition size

Credits go to;
    Keep your current ROM and still create Recovery Partition

Running DAF.exe with erase your current ROM out of NAND. It needs to do this to repartition. But, just running Clockwork does not remove your current ROM. Stay with me here...

I just loaded up CW recovery WITHOUT repartitioning first, and then backed up my current ROM. Now then repartitioned and restored my backed up ROM. [It works]!

Steps takenr:
    - Copied file from "copy_to_sd_root" to ./Recov on SD
    - Rebooted (need to do this to set SD boot Dir correctly, or you will get green text flash)
    - Set ./Recov as my SD boot Dir.
    - Booted to SD... Yes. Into Clockwork.
    - It said "E:Can't find MISC:" but looked good other than that.
    - Ran Backup. Waited. "Backed up boot, system, data, .android-secure, and cache. It skipped the sd-ext as I do not have one.
    - Said "Backup complete!"
    - Reboot back into MAGDLR and follow the rest of the steps (Flash using DAF.exe) to repartition. Now it will not boot to NAND. Tried it.
    - Boot into CW Recovery using SD boot again
    - Now see if your restore works.
    - When the restore is done, reboot back into MAGDLR and choose NAND boot and it should boot back into your ROM just as you left it!

It worked for me. Should I create a Tutorial/Walk-through topic? I will just leave this here for now and get some feed back. I make no promises that it will work for you.

-Unconnected
    150 MB: HotFile
    250 MB: MediaFire
    400 MB: HotFile

If you thought this helps, gimme a thanks ;)
    Here are (attached) the three recoveries files in a torrent. And that would be my first contribution to this wonderful community :).