Camera FC: "Warning: Camera Failed"

Search This thread

lilsalmon

And there it is folks. Verified hardware failure.

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/04/2...ra-failed-issue-verizon-issuing-replacements/

Sent from my SM-G900V using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

P.S. Folks keep an eye on it... most of us who had the camera failure issue didn't pop up for a week or so...

---------- Post added at 02:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

http://mobile.theverge.com/2014/4/25/5653192/samsung-confirms-fatal-galaxy-s5-camera-problem

Reactions: tpike
G

GuestK00202

And there it is folks. Verified hardware failure.

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/04/2...ra-failed-issue-verizon-issuing-replacements/

---------- Post added at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

P.S. Folks keep an eye on it... most of us who had the camera failure issue didn't pop up for a week or so...

---------- Post added at 02:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

http://mobile.theverge.com/2014/4/25/5653192/samsung-confirms-fatal-galaxy-s5-camera-problem

You are correct.

And they quote "We have learned that a limited number of Galaxy S5 devices may have an issue that causes 'Camera Failure' pop-up error message." S5 owners with a busted camera are asked to call 1-888-987-4357 to arrange an exchange under Samsung's warranty, or they can visit their respective carrier for a swap.

Last edited:

bigmatty

Feb 26, 2013
with past Android phones I've found there is a camera error that can be resolved by removing the micro SD card from the device, then rebooting and accessing the camera, then re-inserting the SD card.

I don't have an S5, but perhaps someone w/ a failed one can test this method to make sure that does not "fix" it?

pego99

Dec 3, 2010
Anyone else receive a Camera Failed popup as soon as you open the camera app? I get this now and I cannot use the camera at all.

Here is what I have tried:
- Force Stop, Clear Data, Clear Cache, and Clear Defaults
- Clear Cache Partition in Recovery
- Factory Reset through Settings
- Factory Reset through Recovery
- Installed 3rd party camera app

None of these have worked. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This is very strange the camera appears to get permanently damaged only on verizon units.

Could verizons bloatware permanently damage the camera module.

homeboy hotel

Apr 27, 2014
Hi all

Signed up to the forum to report I have just had this issue. However I bought the Samsung S5 sim free from the UK and after 8-9 days usage just received the camera failed issue.

I took the battery out of the phone to find the model number to call up Samsung, however once I restarted the phone the camera suddenly works fine?

Not sure how effected my phone is, I have 21 days to get an exchange/refund from the store I bought it from so I will give it another week.

Do you think it would just be safer to get an exchange now or just give my phone the benefit of the doubt?

djsnake210

Jul 6, 2011
Fort Worth, TX
www.tech210.com
Hi all

Signed up to the forum to report I have just had this issue. However I bought the Samsung S5 sim free from the UK and after 8-9 days usage just received the camera failed issue.

I took the battery out of the phone to find the model number to call up Samsung, however once I restarted the phone the camera suddenly works fine?

Not sure how effected my phone is, I have 21 days to get an exchange/refund from the store I bought it from so I will give it another week.

Do you think it would just be safer to get an exchange now or just give my phone the benefit of the doubt?

They may not let you return if you aren't getting the error at this moment. On the bright side it sounds like Samsung is replacing these phones through manufacturer warranty regardless of whether it falls out of the store return timeframe, so I wouldn't worry about it until you get the error again... If you get the error again.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Emporioo

Dec 9, 2009
Wigan
Hi all

Hi I'm also from the UK with the same problem unfortunately! However I have tried every possible thing and still get the error so it is definitely a hardware fault. I have booked a repair in with o2.

I have tripped the Knox flag due to rooting and using a custom recovery... I did mention that to the o2 guy but he didn't really seem to understand. Hopefully it will still get repaired?!!!

My model is the SM-G900F so this issue is obviously more widespread then just the US Sprint variants :eek:

And to answer your question, I would definitely get it replaced. The error on mine literally just appeared out of no where, so there is a good chance yours could come back and not go away like mine.

pego99

Dec 3, 2010
This is concerning because the Sammy camera module has a serious component or design defect that can happen anytime.

Hope the Samsung camera module designer doesn't commit hari-kari over this.

This could kill sales if this problem spreads and the word gets out.

I am waiting for the jPhone commercial mocking this problem.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

fawadshah33

Apr 12, 2011
Redmi Note 10
SOLVED

I have a SM-N9005 from O2. I flashed it with N9005XXUFNF4_N9005OXAFNF4_BTU carrier free. There was no sound, camera failure and other lags.
After a lot of research and trying different roms the solution is flash modem using ODIN (PDA option)

For modem install omega files from google play store.

It has different modem list for samsung mobiles.

Download different modems and install using ODIN.

enjoy camera, sound and no lag.

Modem that worked with my set:
N9005_GSM_Modem_DXUENF1
N9005_GSM_Modem_XXUFNF2
N9005_GSM_Modem_ZHUENE6
N9005_GSM_Modem_ZHUENF1
:cool:

Last edited:

Reptile-X

Aug 9, 2005
Haarlem
Same issue with my sons S5, we are from the Netherlands and it stopped working on second day at our vacation in Turkey, so he has no camera to use on vacation =/ this country is pretty hot, compared to our home country, maybe heat is the issue?

putney1477

Feb 21, 2011
Concord, NH
My phone has all of a sudden started doing this. It's only happened a few times and it's normally after I pull the battery or reboot the phone. Should I take it to Verizon or call customer service?

HTC-8690

Jun 13, 2010
If you're rooted and have the secret menu enabled, dial *#0*# and check both of your cameras.

I had this camera failure thing on my S4 and used this to diagnose that my front camera was bad. They're tied together because of that dual shot crap. $15 part, a little effort, and camera app worked perfectly. I really didn't want to replace my phone, because I still had the MDK bootloader.

With that being said, the S5 is a lot less DIY friendly from what I've seen. At least, though, you can narrow down the problem, instead of fighting your phone for hours on end. Hope this helps.

tkometz

Mar 29, 2014
Seattle
If you're rooted and have the secret menu enabled, dial *#0*# and check both of your cameras.

I had this camera failure thing on my S4 and used this to diagnose that my front camera was bad. They're tied together because of that dual shot crap. $15 part, a little effort, and camera app worked perfectly. I really didn't want to replace my phone, because I still had the MDK bootloader.

With that being said, the S5 is a lot less DIY friendly from what I've seen. At least, though, you can narrow down the problem, instead of fighting your phone for hours on end. Hope this helps.

I am not new to using XDA for information but am fairly new at actually posting anything so I hope I am doing this right. Anyhow, I'm having the camera issue. Restart fixes it temporarily sometimes. I tried doing an unroot via SuperSU, and tried a factory reset. Now I have actually used Odin to flash the original retail firmware. I will re-root, but I don't know what the secret menu is that you mentioned? My camera is working currently but I'd like to scope it out to be sure the same issue doesn't just come up again because I'm really tired of all this root, unroot, reset, reroot, circle of B.S.

putney1477

Feb 21, 2011
Concord, NH
Mine is still doing it. I'm going to call Verizon today. I am only rooted and have safe strap installed. Will Verizon know anything about my phone being rooted? Like are any of the numbers on the "about phone" going to give it away?

Top Liked Posts