[APP][Update] SGS kernel flasher v1.6.2 - flash a kernel within android

Search This thread

sturmeh

Sep 5, 2009
Sydney
The other thing we need is the ability to backup in a CWM compatible format. (zImage + redbendua + update-script)

This way we can still restore from a state that only boots into recovery if we flash incorrectly.

DAGr8

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 27, 2010
Montreal
tried 1.21 this afternoon , failed ... wouldnt flash

just tried 1.28 now , it flashed but when it rebooted got stuck at ATT boot screen

had to go in dl mode and reflash

I have a captivate I was running AXURA rom with setiron kernel tried flashing another setiron kernel on top of it .

doccrow

Aug 17, 2010
new delhi
I think u can improve this app by allowing to download various kernels through app itself with permissions from developers it is a good app it will become a great app

neldar

Retired Recognized Developer
Jul 4, 2010
twitter.com
tried 1.21 this afternoon , failed ... wouldnt flash

just tried 1.28 now , it flashed but when it rebooted got stuck at ATT boot screen

had to go in dl mode and reflash

I have a captivate I was running AXURA rom with setiron kernel tried flashing another setiron kernel on top of it .

Could you give me a link to that file you tried to flash, please?
I would like to check that.

The other thing we need is the ability to backup in a CWM compatible format. (zImage + redbendua + update-script)

This way we can still restore from a state that only boots into recovery if we flash incorrectly.

That is on the way - next update.

Last edited:

kenkiller

Nov 21, 2009
Curious....

Would recovery still work properly in the event of a failed flash? Isn't the kernel consisting of the recovery too?

Pierreken

Oct 11, 2009
Did you saw the root request dialog?

If not, you may restart the app or just have look what the superuser app says about the permissions of the sgs kernel flasher.

Hi Neldar,
Thanks for the feedback. I had some other issues with my rooting and those are fixed now. Apparently my device was not correctly rooted. Now the kernel flasher is working perfectly fine as well.

Regards,
Pierreken

neldar

Jul 4, 2010
twitter.com
Curious....

Would recovery still work properly in the event of a failed flash? Isn't the kernel consisting of the recovery too?

Sometimes the recovery is still working - if the boot hangs at bootscreen, than is the recovery mostly working.

And an other update for the app:
v1.3.2:
added: update.zip backup
added: bmlwriter with verify
fixed: log auto-scroll
improved: gui responsiveness

I still need some mount listings, if you have a working adb, please run this: "adb shell mount > mount-listing.txt" and attach the mount-listing.txt to a post in this thread. That will help me to improve the lagfix detection. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

neldar

Jul 4, 2010
twitter.com
I tried SO_zImage_opt_ext_root_V4_5_1.zip
Log said failed to verify flash.

Rebooted phone, and now its stuck on the Galaxy S screen. Will be booting into clockwork to try something else

The log should have shown: Flash verify failed! - Try again!
That means you should try again or the kernel is not completely flashed.

I see - i have to change that...

slangza

Sep 13, 2010
Cape Town
Thanks, but the problem is now, I cant try again as the phone is stuck on the Galaxy S screen. Can only get into downloadmode. Clockwork does not bootup at all.

DAGr8

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 27, 2010
Montreal
Could you give me a link to that file you tried to flash, please?
I would like to check that.

it is some i9000 kernel reoriented by setiron for captivate, sadly the 1.54XT verrsion is not hosted anymore by setiron so here is the upload

its a flashable cwm zip file and everything went well , except when I cliked reboot

IT IS A CAPTIVATE KERNEL ..

Attachments

• setiron_v1.5.4xt_cwmupdate.zip
    6.9 MB · Views: 15

neldar

Jul 4, 2010
twitter.com
I tried SO_zImage_opt_ext_root_V4_5_1.zip
Log said failed to verify flash.
Rebooted phone, and now its stuck on the Galaxy S screen. Will be booting into clockwork to try something else
it is some i9000 kernel reoriented by setiron for captivate, sadly the 1.54XT verrsion is not hosted anymore by setiron so here is the upload

its a flashable cwm zip file and everything went well , except when I cliked reboot

IT IS A CAPTIVATE KERNEL ..

Should be fixed with v1.3.3, please test that and give a feedback.

neldar

Jul 4, 2010
twitter.com
And once more an update:

v1.4.2:
added: buttons disable and show circular progress while install/backup task is running
improved: bmlwriter
improved: lagfix detection

After 6 hours of testing i can now say it is rock stable.
I improved the bmlwriter and fixed a serious bug in the code: a major design flaw. :eek: (not caused by me - do not always rely on work done by others, even if you trust them...)
The occasional reports about failed kernel flashes should belong now to the past - only if you seriously try to make it fail, it will fail (for example pull the battery while it flashes...).

Happy flashing. :D

Last edited:

iamsatan

Aug 18, 2010
lagfix detected

Hi

I am on stock rom xwjpa. It has been rooted, but never installed a lagfix. Still kernel flasher tells me that a lagfix is detected. A bit strange isn't it? May it be so that it detects that I have apps installed that are able to do a lagfix on my SGS?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This application *requires* root.

This app can flash a kernel within android on Samsung i9000, Captivate, Fascinate, Vibrant and more.

Features:
    * backup kernel as update.zip (for recovery)
    * flash kernel from zImage, any .tar or .zip that contains a zImage
    * reboot

Usage:
    backup kernel: creates an update.zip (for recovery) containing a backup of the current kernel with time and date in /sdcard/sgs-kernel-flasher/backup/
    choose kernel: choose kernel image (mostly named zImage) or any .tar or .zip that contains a zImage
    flash kernel: flashes the kernel
    reboot: reboot the phone

Android market: SGS kernel flasher

DISCLAIMER:
    The author of this app is not responsible for any damage to your phone that may be caused by usage of this app or by deficient kernel images.
    And there is another version available:

v1.5.9:
    added: Auto-reboot text clickable
    added: flash verify
    added: more error messages
    fixed: bml blocksize detection on eclair

The 1.5.6 did not work on eclair - please update to 1.5.9.
    I have updated the app one more time:

v1.2.1:
    added: PDA.tar and update.zip file support
    added: choose file starts in /sdcard/sgs-kernel-flasher/
    added: lagfix detection and warning

That means you can now select any .tar or .zip that contains a zImage and the app will automatically extract and flash that zImage.
    Major break through for easy kernel flashing on i9000, Captivate, Fascinate and Vibrant- please propagate this awesome news. :)

Btw. the app is now on market.
    I currently, have KA7+Voodoo running and since I'm a noob not sure what the upgrade process is to upgrade to the latest KB1+Voodoo?

If the kernel dev does not say anything about the update process, you are supposed to flash the new kernel.

Btw: new version available:

v1.5.6:
    added: java implementation of tar
    added: proper detection of supported flashtypes (only bml, at the moment)
    added: more detailed error messages
    If you're going to flash a kernel which can also read & write ext4, you're safe. So if you want to move from speedmod to voodoo, or vice versa, there is no need to undo lagfix first. But if you want to revert to the original kernel for example, which can NOT read ext4, ext3, ext2 or jfs, then you need to undo the lagfix first and restore the rfs filesystem. If you accidentally mess up, you can always use odin to flash back your previous kernel (make sure you can access download mode). Hope this is helpful.

J.