[KITCHEN] OS Builder V1.4.236 FULL (01.12.2012) - pro wm/wp7 kitchen by barin

Search This thread

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
When dumping the ROM, it seems that the partitions are correctly identified and output to disk. No matter which way you do that step - how big is that XIP (2.bin for OS Builder here) file on your disk?

Speculations:

1. you may have an Antivirus SW that blocks access to *.bin files: check if you can hex-read the output 2.bin file
  2. The author of the ROM may have manipulated the partition table for the ROM. Not sure if this has adverse effects on the funciton of the ROM (I guess no), but it would prevent dumping the ROM easily. It has usually the ULDR, the XIP and the IMGFS (eventually EXT). When dumping the os.nb, which are the sizes of these?
For sure you do not come to the real dump part of the actions yet. The XIP dump creates the ROM directory, while the IMGFS dump creates the OEM and SYS (and XCONT for what cannot be put there).

If any of the usual protection schemes are in the ROM (Farmer Ted has mentioned a few) you will not be able to re-cook anyway. There are some ways around the missing packages (recently I saw a tool here to re-create the packages, but never tried it out) but you cannot work around the missing .reloc sections if it applies to ALL modules.

Get to the author - really the best solution. Give him the credits he deserves if you publish a ROM based on his - naturally. My ROMs have a credit list that goes back to actions of 2007 - however I cook for real old stuff :)

Edit: Could you upload the .nbh somewhere (mediafire is a good place) - I could try to get it dumped and see what the problem is.

Last edited:

Digistras

Dec 30, 2010
Thanks for your reply tobbbie

how big is that XIP (2.bin for OS Builder here) file on your disk?

The 2.bin file is 3.75MB in size. Illustration as shown:

2binsizebo.jpg

you may have an Antivirus SW that blocks access to *.bin files: check if you can hex-read the output 2.bin file

I used Xvi32 to to open 2.bin and was able to do so as shown below:

2binopen.jpg

The author of the ROM may have manipulated the partition table for the ROM. Not sure if this has adverse effects on the funciton of the ROM (I guess no), but it would prevent dumping the ROM easily. It has usually the ULDR, the XIP and the IMGFS (eventually EXT). When dumping the os.nb, which are the sizes of these?

Not sure what you mean by ULDR. Maybe you can explain it? When dumping os.nb, the dump did not complete as it encountered errors about the 2.bin file being in use which is the same error that I posted in my earlier post. I only managed to see 2.bin and XIP.bin after the error came out and both are 3.75MB in size.

2binxipbinsize.jpg

Edit: Could you upload the .nbh somewhere (mediafire is a good place) - I could try to get it dumped and see what the problem is.

Uploaded to MediaFire. Link as below:

http://www.mediafire.com/?u23aalme711hbvu

Last edited:

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
Sizes look reasonable, it seems OSB is doing something on 2.bin to create xip.bin or vice-versa before dumping the content. Is there a difference between these two?

The ULDR is not required for any cooking actions and can be ignored or even minimized or deleted in a final build. It was planned as part of a FW Update process over the air - or later automatic push installations. Afaik this was never used, though.

I can look after the .nbh only later today.

Mind that before OSB there were dedicated tools for all the steps of action:
- decrypt the .nbh
- dissect the resulting .nb in its parts (ULDR, XIP, IMGFS, others)
- dump the XIP
- dump the IMGFS
- build the packages from the dumps

So if OSB does not get further at step 2 - why not try others? It will be much more difficult though to set up the right kitchen structure then and as a newcomer you will most probably fail in that attempt.
If you could stay within the OSB workflow you have a chance - otherwise, good luck!

To get some basic idea about cooking, look in my signature and follow the link to the Beginners guide :)

Digistras

Dec 30, 2010
I'm not sure if there is any difference between 2.bin and XIP.bin but both file size are the same though.

Thanks for taking the time to help me look at the .nbh. Hopefully it can tell you something.

I did try OsKitchen before coming to OS Builder. I believe OsKitchen is going through the same process.

I've taken a look at the Beginners Guide and kind of understand the architecture but will still need to read up more. Thanks for the guide.

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
I had the same problems in dumping the .nbh with OSB. It seems that not all exceptions are caught the right way and the resulting error message is misleading. I have decomposed the .nbh with DaG's nbimagetool and then dumped the imgfs with OSB. The resulting content is (as expected) free of any packages so you cannot re-cook this.
Added: you can see this yourself with the ROM loaded as the windows directory had no *.dsm and *.rgu files.

I have not further done anything to the XIP. ULDR is already only a dummy one (124k).
Please contact the author of the ROM if he is willing to share the kitchen with you.

Digistras

Dec 30, 2010
Hey tobbbie

Thanks for helping me to confirm that the IMGFS is not able to be dumped.

I used ImgfsFromNb.exe to dump IMGFS and the generated output is 0 bytes.

How are the *.dsm and *.rgu files created?

Also, I saw this on your beginners guide:

"OEM parts stay usually unchanged through all cooking and porting activities, so that also means that a WM5 device will keep all the OEM parts even if the OS version is WM6.5. OEM parts are in both, the XIP (nk.exe and some OEM modules) and the IMGFS. You will especially not gain any advantage of the enhanced memory allocation scheme if your device does not have a native 6.5 kernel (nk.exe)."

Does it mean that I can just use the IMGFS and XIP of official ROM (WM 6.5) and use it on this cooked ROM (WM 6.5.5)?

I also saw this: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=320504&page=49

but I'm missing the buildos+packagetools2.0b1.exe (link dead) as it contains 319'880 buildos+package_tools-2.0b1.exe. Not sure if that method works though.

Do you happen to have it?

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
How are the *.dsm and *.rgu files created?
The are not created, they are there from the start. A package is defined by a set of files and related production configuration files - the dsm and rgu. The DSM (Device Side Manifest) are used to set properties of the files/modules when the IMGFS is constructed and the RGU (Registry Update) are used to update the registry with relevant settings. Each package has a unique GUID identifying it.
The DSM and RGU are not needed on the device but they are mandatory if you want to go back and re-cook. No way to recover this with a sane outlook to success. Hence stripping these in the cooking process "protects" the ROM.

Does it mean that I can just use the IMGFS and XIP of official ROM (WM 6.5) and use it on this cooked ROM (WM 6.5.5)?
This is the basic idea. You have the OEM parts of your device and replace the XIP and SYS with that of a "donor". It is however not simple copy as several hooks need to link together in the right way. OS Builder has dedicated supporting tools and procedures for XIP and SYS porting.

Do you happen to have it?
No, sorry.

Sad for you is that you cannot use the ROM in question as your base. If you want to start cooking, get your shipped ROM, dump it and try to re-cook it. If you get that mastered, then you can think of XIP and SYS porting.

Digistras

Dec 30, 2010
I've dump the .nbh using DaG's nbimagetool and then using the same tool to dump os.nb which then IMGFS can be seen and is 127MB in size.

Below are the steps that I have done:

1. Dumped .nbh using DaG's nbimagetool.

nbhdumpnbimagetool.jpg

2. Used DaG's nbimagetool again to dump os.nb and imgfs.bin and xip.bin was extracted. File sizes are as shown:

osnbdumpnbimagetool.jpg

3. Dump imgfs.bin using ImgfsToDump.exe (with cecompr_nt.dll). I followed the instructions and tools from http://wiki.allshadow.com/index.php/ROMs_For_Dummies:_Part_Two#Converting_to_ROM_dump

imgfsbindumpimgfstodump.jpg

As you can see that after dumping the imgfs.bin, a dump folder and memory map is created.

So from here, is there anyway that I can package the dump folder to create a .nbh with the proper imgfs.bin and xip.bin so that OsKitchen is able to load? Not sure if I'm on to something here though.

Last edited:

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
Why do you want to continue here? The IMGFS (and the XIP most probably as well) does not have package information left. You cannot alter anything of the content in the way any kitchen works.

Stop with this protected ROM and pick up your actions with a shipped ROM where the packages are still intact or with a kitchen of that ROM where the packages are still there.

There is no magic or other tooling that will bring you back the packages. There is also no other kitchen that can do anything with this ROM.

Digistras

Dec 30, 2010
I'm not sure if I understand this correctly. By "Package Information", do u mean the *.dsm and *.rgu files?

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
Exactly - if they are not there then you cannot cook - so easy. Cooking is basically just a selected set of packages + some tweaks + some own packages if you are able to do that (not hard actually).
Get ahead of dumping a shipped ROM, then you see how that works.

Digistras

Dec 30, 2010
I have a shipped ROM that is on WM6.5 for HTC Mega that is with all the HTC packages and a cooked ROM that is on WM6.5.5 also for the HTC Mega but is a clean base ROM.

So from the shipped ROM of WM6.5, is there anyway I can upgrade it to WM6.5.5 from there?

If not, anyway I can build a WM6.5.5 with HTC Packages of the extracted WM6.5 shipped ROM?

Last edited:

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
You can re-combine packages from these sources - provided that the packages are there. Suggested sequence:

1. dump the shipped ROM
  2. re-cook it without changing anything (this will be hard enough for a start). Only this way you can make sure that not something from the later SYS/XIP porting prevents your device from booting.
  3. Kick out some OEM packages to get used to the cooking
  4. dump the 6.5.5 ROM and make sure that it delivers also the package information
  5. Port the XIP only and see if the build from 2/3.) still boots (6.5.5 XIP should be rather identical to 6.5)
  6. Port the SYS
This looks easy but it will take you some weeks and a lot of reading around. I cannot continue to spoon-feed you with all such basic things of cooking - make some own experience now... and good luck doing so!

Digistras

Dec 30, 2010
4. dump the 6.5.5 ROM and make sure that it delivers also the package information

This would require the *.dsm and *.rgu files right? So I can't use the ROM that I posted for you earlier?

5. Port the XIP only and see if the build from 2/3.) still boots (6.5.5 XIP should be rather identical to 6.5)

There is a possibility that it might fail due to the difference in version? (WM6.5 vs WM6.5.5)

AndrewSh

Jan 17, 2006
Minsk
forum.asusmobile.ru
I doubt that you will get bootable rom using 6.5.5 xip with 6.5 SYS and vice versa.
These two branches have different GWES, so coredll and other things might not fit.

I don't see any benefit using someone's custom rom as a source. The sequence of the activity is following:
1. Dump stock rom for your device
2. Download SYS & XIP archive from the builds thread.
3. Put XIP to DONOR folder of your kitchen (subfolder should be named as the build number - XXXXX)
4. Replace stock SYS from SYS folder to SYS/SYS_YYYYY (where YYYYY is a number of your stock build)
5. Put downloaded SYS to SYS/SYS_XXXXX folder
6. Adjust settings of OsBuilder - to port XIP etc.
7. Cook

It's a general tip. Without details.

Last edited:

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
3. Put XIP to DONOR folder of your kitchen (subfolder should be named as the build number - XXXXX)
4. Replace stock SYS from SYS folder to SYS/SYS_YYYYY (where YYYYY is a number of your stock build)

Are you using a multi-build setup in your cooking? I tried to but it did not port the XIP correctly (despite all paths are setup correct) - it failed getting the OEM-XIP from the original ROM\XIP folder - is there a trick?
I used the Russian Multibuild manual (Google translated) and I am quite sure I did all as outlined there.

As I have my Tornado and Hurricane Kitchen all on WM6, WM61 and WM65, it would save some space (and effort) if I have the OEM parts identical - at least for the latter two where I have them truly identical.
Some parts are different in the OEM regarding the treatment of settings and the .xml panels on smartphone between WM6 and WM61 and up - is there an option to link such differences also the the branches of the Multibuild environment?

One caveat with XIP porting from donor is that the DSM compression settings are not used from the DONOR but the original - had reported this but nothing public has changed.

Digistras

Dec 30, 2010
I doubt that you will get bootable rom using 6.5.5 xip with 6.5 SYS and vice versa.
These two branches have different GWES, so coredll and other things might not fit.

I don't see any benefit using someone's custom rom as a source. The sequence of the activity is following:
1. Dump stock rom for your device
2. Download SYS & XIP archive from the builds thread.
6. Adjust settings of OsBuilder - to port XIP etc.
7. Cook

It's a general tip. Without details.

Hi AndrewSh,

Thanks for the steps. I don't see any mentioning about the custom ROM that I have for WM6.5.5 in the steps. So are those steps only for WM 6.5 or using WM6.5 XIP and SYS porting over to WM6.5.5?

AndrewSh

Jan 17, 2006
Minsk
forum.asusmobile.ru
Are you using a multi-build setup in your cooking? I tried to but it did not port the XIP correctly (despite all paths are setup correct) - it failed getting the OEM-XIP from the original ROM\XIP folder - is there a trick?
I used the Russian Multibuild manual (Google translated) and I am quite sure I did all as outlined there.....
Yes I use it multibuild. And also I used it multibuild for my old Asus P525 which is native WM6.0 device...
Normally I don't remember any tricks.... It always worked for me well.... And the biggest **** - I did not read the Russian manual (don't tell Barin - he will kill me) - I only often translated changelogs when Barin was busy...
So for my old Asus - I pointed to rebuild new XIP using OEMXIP from template and MSXIP from DONOR. For Leo - from packages in DONOR folder and packages in ROM/XIP folder.... Actually - w/o issues....

I don't see any mentioning about the custom ROM that I have for WM6.5.5 in the steps. So are those steps only for WM 6.5 or using WM6.5 XIP and SYS porting over to WM6.5.5?

No, these steps are universal.
You take the latest STOCK rom for your device, dump it and use as OEM and XIP source.
Than you grab the any MS build archive (containing SYS and XIP packages) and create your kitchen.
No customs! Because normally customs are stripped and protected - you won't be able to correctly dump them.

Reactions: poyensa

Digistras

Dec 30, 2010
I have a custom ROM that is on WM6.5.5 for my HTC Mega and I'm able to dump the IMGFS.bin. Can I use the extracted contents and build my own custom ROM?

I also have the XIP.bin for the custom ROM.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Official XDA OSBuilder kitchen thread (developed by Barin)
    this thread is dedicated to discussions related windows mobile
    Official XDA OSBuilder 7 kitchen thread (developed by Barin)
    this thread is dedicated to discussions/info related to windows phone 7

I'm honored to be allowed to officially announce/present/support osbuilder here in xda forums by barin. thank you.

this is a new kitchen (not based on old platform rebuilder) developed by asusmobile.ru member barin and tested by many others (mentioned below) including myself.
    ultrashot is also developing some parts of osbuilder (custom imgfsfromdump with advanced parameter support for example).

"One word: SUPERIOR!" hd2owner

OS Builder V1.4.236 FULL (01.12.2012) - 3962+ downloads
    OS Builder V1.4.235 FULL (25.11.2012) - 271 downloads (20590)
    OS Builder V1.4.234 FULL (22.11.2012) - 91 downloads
    OS Builder V1.4.223 FULL (02.10.2012) - 931 downloads
    OS Builder V1.4.209 FULL (19.05.2012) - 2155 downloads
    OS Builder V1.4.206 FULL (21.04.2012) - 531 downloads
    OS Builder V1.4.205 FULL (16.04.2012) - 199 downloads
    OS Builder V1.3.199 FULL (09.12.2011) - 4792 downloads
    OS Builder V1.3.189 FULL (08.11.2011) - 1762 downloads
    OS Builder V1.3.187 FULL (03.11.2011) - 159 downloads
    OS Builder V1.3.163 FULL (29.09.2011) - 2183 downloads
    OS Builder V1.2.157 FULL (20.09.2011) - 257 downloads
    OS Builder V1.2.153 FULL (15.09.2011) - 157 downloads
    OS Builder V1.2.148 FULL (04.09.2011) - 558 downloads
    OS Builder V1.2.143 FULL (28.08.2011) - 412 downloads
    OS Builder V1.2.140 FULL (21.08.2011) - 229 downloads
    OS Builder V1.2.133 FULL (11.08.2011) - 337 downloads
    OS Builder V1.2.124 FULL (28.07.2011) - 423 downloads
    OS Builder V1.2.116 FULL (27.06.2011) - 1716 downloads
    OS Builder V1.2.111 LE (08.06.2011) - 518 downloads
    OS Builder V1.2.107 LE (05.03.2011) - 970 downloads
    OS Builder V1.2.101 LE (21.02.2011) - 582 downloads
    OS Builder V1.2.99 LE (19.02.2011) - 213 downloads
    OS Builder V1.2.89 LE (31.12.2010) - 1244 downloads

Total osbuilder downloads on xda: 24552+

ATTENTION!

SINCE VERSION 1.2.81 (06.12.2010) OSBuilder IS DEPENDENT OF .NET FRAMEWORK 4 (runtime version not lower than 4.0.30319). Get .NET framework 4 here

DOWNLOAD (latest public osbuilder version by barin): OSBuilderSetup1.4.236-FULL.zip

OSBUILDER LATEST CHANGELOGS ->POST 3 & POST 4

NEW XPH COMPRESSION METHOD FROM WP7 MANGO
    Since 1.2.153 we have possibility to use xph compression from wp7 mango (patched by ultrashot).
    only usable on armv7 devices!! don't use xph on older arm devices! it won't work.
    if you have a armv7 device and want to try xph->ultrashot's patched mango cecompr.dll thread

If someone wants to donate and help the project, take a look at the original thread on asusmobile.ru and the thread on mobileunderground.info

Many thanks to those, who helped to test osbuilder:
    Alexx~, AndrewSh, greench, Lost_Angel, Vladimir1973

Special thanks to yad for the important and necessary information on relocation.
    ENORMOUS thanks to alexx~ for many ideas and concepts, for THAT NOT VALUED! aid during the testing, and it is simple for the human support from the beginning also to the end of writing program.

osbuilder.png

Basic purpose of osbuilder
    -assembling flat dump from the packets
    -assembling IMGFS
    -assembling ROM-File (for supported devices)
    -extract/dump ROM-File (for supported devices)

OSBuilder can build NB0, NB and NBH files and for supported devices it can change rom version, date and/or some other data.
    Also many other functions are included (Manila other language exclusion for example), which can be useful during creation and assembling of dump and ROM.

Basic possibilities
    1. The group of packets (4 types of groups, the level of the nesting of groups is theoretically not limited, packets they are grouped by simple haul) and mapping packets and groups in the form of the tree
    2. Convenient contextual menu for the work with the packets.
    3. Selection of language for the piercing (co-existence of packets for the different languages)
    4. Possibility to introduce detailed description for the packets and the groups (with the selection of packet or group description it will be automatically mapped into specially [otvedennom] for this window)
    5. Import of configuration from the files of option.xml and their subsequent removal.
    6. Retention of the configuration on silence and of any quantity of the configurations
    7. Editing of dsm, rgu, initflashfiles, provxml of packet directly from the program
    8. Possibility of the connection of external editors for dsm, rgu, initflashfiles, provxml
    9. The survey of the folder of packet directly from the program (on silence conductor is used, but the connection of another file- manager is also possible)
    10. Editing of boot.rgu, packages.sof, packages.cif, defaultcerts.dat, oem.cer directly from the program.
    11. Survey and the editing of the order of assembling the list (it edits packages.sof)
    12. The preliminary survey of the list, which must come out after assembling with the indication as and how often changed each parameter, such as file of rgu made change and in what line of the file of rgu this parameter is contained.
    13. The preliminary survey of the file of initflashfiles.dat, which must come out after assembling.
    14. Removal of files from modules and imageinfo.txt
    15. Sufficiently flexible tuning of the parameters of assembling.
    16. Possibility of the call of external programs from the menu.
    17. Automatic forming or correction .VM and .ROM according to the data from the template or the file XIP
    18. Built-in mechanism of readdressing the modules (Reloc) of the received flat dump.
    19. Assembling the file of division IMGFS 20. Assembling file ROM - size of nb0 (payload)

program-window:
    Contextual menu of the packet Built-in editor OF DSM (title)
    the built-in editor OF DSM (modules and files)
    the built-in editor OF DSM (dependence) information about the module Menu of additional tools
    the editor of packages.sof (cif) Preliminary survey of list cleaning the modules Readdressing modules (Reloc) Tuning (parameters of assembling)

Program (assembling the files of payload NBH) is successfully tested with following HTC-devices:
    HTC blueAngel
    HTC touch 2 (Mega)
    HTC touch of 3450 & 3452 (Elf of & Elfin)
    HTC touch Of diamond
    HTC touch HD
    HTC touch diamond 2
    HTC max 4G HTC Of iolite
    HTC HD2
    HTC HD mini
    HTC kovsky (SE X1)
    HTC WhitestoneW

If you have precise information about the special features of a certain new device model (structure of divisions and FLASH of regions, the signs of the search for date and version into nk.exe, and also other special features, for example, necessary whether to prescribe somewhere into nk.exe the sizes of rom, region etc, then the support of this can be added into osbuilder.

As to gather the dump without the template i tried to make the process of editing and assembling far more convenient and more visual. the result is osbuilder.
    If you have ideas for improvements, write them down here and barin will take a look at them.

Tutorial Videos:
    01-DumpNBH.zip
    02-Grouping.zip

Manual:
    WWE Manual Download Link

Multibuild feature (use more than one sys build):
    http://www.mobileunderground.info/showthread.php?t=12348&p=42486#post42486

Porting XIP:
    http://www.mobileunderground.info/showthread.php?t=12348&p=38546#post38546
    http://www.mobileunderground.info/showthread.php?t=12348&p=38615#post38615
    http://www.mobileunderground.info/showthread.php?t=12348&p=38829#post38829

Setting Package Build Order:
    http://www.mobileunderground.info/showthread.php?t=12348&p=38558#post38558

Exclude/Include specific packages:
    http://www.mobileunderground.info/showthread.php?t=12348&p=38622#post38622

OEM creator for EXT to OEM Conversion (another tool by ultrashot coming soon):
    http://www.mobileunderground.info/showthread.php?t=12348&p=38919#post38919

Getting Started:
    http://www.mobileunderground.info/showthread.php?t=12348&p=38859#post38859

List of supporters (fullversion):
    Code:
    Alexx ~, AndrewSh, HD2Owner, 3D MASTER,
    ash172, bitje, Elesvil, erickwill, Feropont, fq3803, Gangsta-P,
    Pgreench, GUG, Hellonasty, indagroove, Kristof Petho, LiquidStorm,
    mishok_006, mondi, Mor-Da, MorzeCBP, mwalt2, NarkoZ,
    NightOWL, Petrovych, rewwps, Satan!, serfer222, SergeyLAR,
    tian tian, ultrashot, usv, Hacker, Zloy Pryanik, Vladimir1973

Other great tools by barin:
    OS Builder 7 (WP7 Kitchen)
    LEO Advanced ROM Update Utility
    Titan Advanced ROM Update Utility
    Mozart Advanced ROM Update Utility
    Blackstone Advanced ROM Update Utility
    Topaz Advanced ROM Update Utility
    Kovsky Advanced ROM Update Utility
    Whitestone Advanced ROM Update Utility
    HTC Splash Tool

My projects:
    HD2O ROM Series
    X1O ROM Series
    HTC HD2 stock ROM overview thread
    Latest Opera 9.70 thread
    HD2 WP7 donation fund for da_g
    HD2 haret/linux/android donation fund for devs (cotulla, dcordes, markinus, letama, netripper)
    HD2 6.5.3 global bold font fix (by ultrashot)
    HD2Owner's youtube channel
    OSBuilder V1.3.163 is ready
    OS Builder V1.2.140 is ready
    OSBuilder V1.2.153 with XPH support is ready.
    OSBuilder V1.2.133 is ready :)