[DETAILED GUIDE][CM11] Build your own Font app

Search This thread

tflogic

Apr 24, 2011
Hi, codekidX. So I tried to make a font on my own but ran into a problem. I followed your tutorial all the way to Step 4: Build app.

When I got here, after pressing "Build > Make Project", I don't get a "Gradle Invocation successful" message nor an apk for my font. Instead, I get a "Gradle build finished" and when I go into my "package > app > build" folder, I don't see an "apk" folder but "generated" and "intermediates."

Any clue on how to fix this? Thanks!

edit: I figured it out! Apparently, Make Project doesn't build APKs on the newest versions of Android Studio, so you have to build from command line. Here's the link to input the correct commands to build the APK.

Last edited:

codekidX

Mar 7, 2012
Mumbai
Hi, codekidX. So I tried to make a font on my own but ran into a problem. I followed your tutorial all the way to Step 4: Build app.

When I got here, after pressing "Build > Make Project", I don't get a "Gradle Invocation successful" message nor an apk for my font. Instead, I get a "Gradle build finished" and when I go into my "package > app > build" folder, I don't see an "apk" folder but "generated" and "intermediates."

edit: I figured it out! Apparently, Make Project doesn't build APKs on the newest versions of Android Studio, so you have to build from command line. Here's the link to input the correct commands to build the APK.
Ohh I will update the guide and Android Studio :p , did the font work good?
thank you for pointing out the error :)

I will update the guide with font-family tutorial soon

tflogic

Apr 24, 2011

Oh it wasn't an error at all, just a difference in versions apparently. Here's the discussion I found about Make Project and building apks.

Unfortunately, I got a package parsing error: "There is a problem parsing the package" when I tried to run the apk on my phone. Since this is past my own understanding in Android, I quit and just went ahead and installed the Android L font from your Project Sparky :p

codekidX

Mar 7, 2012
Mumbai
Oh it wasn't an error at all, just a difference in versions apparently. Here's the discussion I found about Make Project and building apks.

Unfortunately, I got a package parsing error: "There is a problem parsing the package" when I tried to run the apk on my phone. Since this is past my own understanding in Android, I quit and just went ahead and installed the Android L font from your Project Sparky :p
:p parsing error because you might have not set minimum required sdk to 4.4 and target sdk 4.4

tysonraylee

Mar 15, 2012
Gotham
does writing regular or thin or condensed in fonts.xml make any difference??
for example I have a regular style font but i don't write regular in fonts.xml and just write the font name
for example in guide it says crayon-regular.ttf
but I don't write regular I just write crayon.ttf
will this make any difference??
and if I have a thin style font but I don't mention abc-thin.ttf and only write abc.ttf will it not display the font in thin style??
please explain

edit : here is one of my fonts.xml which i am using without any problems. and every pack that I made is in the same way i.e only font name and no suffix of regular/thin/condensed etc

2wmkllx.png

REVENGE SOLVES EVERYTHING

Last edited:

codekidX

Mar 7, 2012
Mumbai
does writing regular or thin or condensed in fonts.xml make any difference??
for example I have a regular style font but i don't write regular in fonts.xml and just write the font name
for example in guide it says crayon-regular.ttf
but I don't write regular I just write crayon.ttf
will this make any difference??
and if I have a thin style font but I don't mention abc-thin.ttf and only write abc.ttf will it not display the font in thin style??
please explain

edit : here is one of my fonts.xml which i am using without any problems. and every pack that I made is in the same way i.e only font name and no suffix of regular/thin/condensed etc

2wmkllx.png

Hello, I have explained it in the 2nd post. so you need to name it regular so that it replaces the regular font of the system
ie: Roboto-Regular.ttf inside android system

tysonraylee

Mar 15, 2012
Gotham
Hello, I have explained it in the 2nd post. so you need to name it regular so that it replaces the regular font of the system
ie: Roboto-Regular.ttf inside android system

I am sorry but I don't understand the need to do so. I am not writing any suffix like thin/regular etc to the font name and they show up perfectly in the device.

do you mean by adding such suffixes the font adapts accordingly??
like let's say that there is a text
Heading
Sub Heading
Text
so if I include the thin,regular,light and condensed fonts the font will adapt the text accordingly
Heading (bold)
Sub heading (regular)
Text (light)
and if I don't add the thin,regular,light fonts then only the included font is applied everywhere??

I know this is confusing but please tell me why should we be adding a family set while a single font (as mentioned in the first post) was doing the job perfectly??

xdagee

Sep 4, 2012
Accra
xdagee.github.io
Google Pixel 7
I have error build error. Will the version of android studio affects the development? If yes then I think you should update your guide with the least st version of Android studio. 0.8.0
Thanks

Image Error

Err.png

sent from an open source device

Last edited:
Reactions: my95z34

slyferx

Jul 12, 2011
@codekidX @tysonraylee Hello Guys, i have a problem hope that can help me with this. I'm using the Android Stoudio 0.8.2 and when a finish the APK i got an: "Parsing Error" How i can fix that? I have selected KitKat API 19 at the start, but the next window "Add an activity to Mobile" dont know if i need change something here. Can guide me a bit please?

codekidX

Mar 7, 2012
Mumbai
@codekidX
Thanks for this. But I want to ask, I install my font, font on settings is changed, but not font in app drawer and battery circle font. Whats wrong with my project?

Some roms have missing commit of theme chooser usually a ROM problem. I was in pa for sometime and faced the same issue.

Can we add more fonts in one package?

Yes, working on it will update guide if success.

i did everything exactly how posted and when i launch the apk on the device and hit install it says app not installed :/
Usually signing problem or the app is not built properly. Try building again if same problem comes use signapk

I have error build error. Will the version of android studio affects the development? If yes then I think you should update your guide with the least st version of Android studio. 0.8.0
Thanks

Image Error

Err.png

sent from an open source device

Hello, error in Java Virtual Machine Update your jdk or downgrade. It is not detecting the app HeapSize to compile.

@codekidX @tysonraylee Hello Guys, i have a problem hope that can help me with this. I'm using the Android Stoudio 0.8.2 and when a finish the APK i got an: "Parsing Error" How i can fix that? I have selected KitKat API 19 at the start, but the next window "Add an activity to Mobile" dont know if i need change something here. Can guide me a bit please?

I will upload a video with the same procedure hope it helps. Video will be there in 20-25 mins.

Edit :

Video Link

Last edited:
Reactions: exodius48

xdagee

Sep 4, 2012
Accra
xdagee.github.io
Google Pixel 7
Some roms have missing commit of theme chooser usually a ROM problem. I was in pa for sometime and faced the same issue.

Yes, working on it will update guide if success.

Usually signing problem or the app is not built properly. Try building again if same problem comes use signapk

Hello, error in Java Virtual Machine Update your jdk or downgrade. It is not detecting the app HeapSize to compile.

I will upload a video with the same procedure hope it helps. Video will be there in 20-25 mins.

Edit :

Video Link

I think the version of Android studio is causing the issue; If you look at his video guide, he is on version 0.5.2 whiles most of us here reporting issues is either on 0.8.2 or above.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Mod delete no contributions anymore.
    Delete this thread

this way worked for me on latest Android Studio (0.8.6) as easy way to build APK.