[ROM] VillainROM AOSP R2 (IML74K - 4.0.3) GSM ONLY [05 Jan] -incl Advanced Power Menu

Search This thread

EddyOS

Jan 2, 2010
London
I can't guarantee it'll work, but should just be android.policy.jar and framework-res.apk

Backup your ROM first as there's a good chance it'll bootloop.

With Sense it was always just android.policy.jar so assumed it might've been similar. I'll give it a go once my handset turns up tomorrow

winwiz

Oct 26, 2007
1. Shen keeps asking for this, so I think I will add the percentage mod and 100 images.

2. I don't personally like it, but it's a very easy mod, so I can make it a flashable option in the future!

3. Could be a good addition... will look into it

4. Don't like this one again personally, but will look into making it a flashable option

thank you soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much

mrvirginia

Jun 12, 2010
Charlotte, NC
whaaaaaaaaaaaat?! are you serious?! lol i was a firm supporter of VRom on SGS2. this is awesome! :)

edit: could there be a speaker volume mod? everyone is using Volume+ but it would be nice to have this cooked into a Rom
also, other mods such as battery percent and such were always tweaks on the 'ol SGS2. Pulser kept it as stock as possible. hoping the same will be here too except for performance improvements.

Last edited:

nprussell

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 18, 2009
whaaaaaaaaaaaat?! are you serious?! lol i was a firm supporter of VRom on SGS2. this is awesome! :)

edit: could there be a speaker volume mod? everyone is using Volume+ but it would be nice to have this cooked into a Rom
also, other mods such as battery percent and such were always tweaks on the 'ol SGS2. Pulser kept it as stock as possible. hoping the same will be here too except for performance improvements.

Yeah, we'll be doing the same with this one; only this time, instead of modifying the stock ROM, each new version will be a fresh build from the source.

winwiz

Oct 26, 2007
Yeah, we'll be doing the same with this one; only this time, instead of modifying the stock ROM, each new version will be a fresh build from the source.

hi mate

this ROM does not allow me to install ADFREE where as previous ROMs have, any idea?

edit: Can;t install dropbox either and a few other apps

mklass

Apr 3, 2010
What about custom Kernel with OC/UV ? Also USB OTG? Maybe.

I also asked Paul OB about using the Volume up key for taking pictures but only when the camera app is in use.

nprussell

Sep 18, 2009
hi mate

this ROM does not allow me to install ADFREE where as previous ROMs have, any idea?

edit: Can;t install dropbox either and a few other apps

It's unlikely to be permissions xmls, as I added all of those...

So, the build fingerprint. Let me try to change the fingerprint to the one from the official ROM and I will report back with a small update.zip if this is the issue.

The current fingerprint is 'test keys', rather than the release keys fingerprint from ITL41F.

Last edited:

inffy

Jun 26, 2005
Helsinki, Finland
One thing that came to mind...

Now I don't know would this work, but I have a feeling that something will break.

The thing is that when apps are not fully ICS compatible we will f.ex miss the menu button on some apps. This can be fixed by installin Pauls patches to active the "legacy menu buttons"

But I was wondering will it work with this rom, as it seems you made some changes to the framework-res file...so will the patches break something?

I think the legacy menu (and maybe the search button) would be needed additions, atleast at this point, maybe a flashable mod zip.

froesei

Jun 19, 2005
Winnipeg
If im moving from the Modaco ROMs will i need to do a full wipe ?

Still slightly confused with Flashing to different ROMs with the GN not having an SD card ..... will I lose everything on the 'logical' user drive ?[/QUOTE
+1 for this question....

Also, re suggestions for the ROM, I'm always interested in battery optimisations!

beekay201

Nov 8, 2010
Hi, first of all congratulations on a sucessful aosp based rom. I hope we will see even more releases like this from your team and others.

Checked your small howto, it's basically the same as "official" one, probably written in a less confusing way. Nevertheless, thank you.

edited: Good luck to your rom.

Regards,
Bk201

Last edited:

cbutters

Jan 22, 2007
Salt Lake City
I am having an issue with this rom... just installed root explorer, but i never get a superuser prompt, and when I try to mount, nothing happens. I went into superuser to try to add root explorer to the whitelist, but under android 4.0, I don't really have a settings menu to manual add (don't think superuser is updated for android 4.0 yet)... any ideas?

nprussell

Sep 18, 2009
I am having an issue with this rom... just installed root explorer, but i never get a superuser prompt, and when I try to mount, nothing happens. I went into superuser to try to add root explorer to the whitelist, but under android 4.0, I don't really have a settings menu to manual add (don't think superuser is updated for android 4.0 yet)... any ideas?

You are correct - something wrong with the su binary according to the Superuser.apk. Give me a few mins to look into it

FIXED : See post #2 in this thread!

Last edited:
Reactions: cbutters

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hasn't it been a while since I posted on here? As some of you know, I've been insanely busy with www.freeyourandroid.com (which is going immensely well, by the way), so haven't had much time to work on the custom ROM side of things. In addition, due to work obligations (conflicts of interest), I have been unable to work on certain handsets. Luckily, though, the Galaxy Nexus is my own, personal contract phone; and I am free to mod-away!

So, I present you with:

VillainROM-AOSP-R2

This is a ROM compiled directly from the Android source code repo (branch = android-4.0.3 (IML74K), with Google apps/permissions, etc added. It is of course not odexed, so first boot will take a while. Subsequent reboots will be much faster. Here are a few screenshots, as I know how many of you guys won't download a ROM unless there are screenshots in the OP ;) :

1323266245.jpg
    1323338480.png

1323338486.png
    1323338494.png

R2 Release Notes
    Code:
    Rebased to aosp 4.0.3 IML74K
    Phone and Messaging shortcuts on lockscreen (thanks to Xoomdev)
    FB sync (Thanks to Romanbb)
    Added Screenshot to powermenu (thanks to CM)
    Fixed Calendar Sync

Added custom kernel:
    tuned governors (ondermand and interactive)
    OC to 1.35Ghz
    UV interface (use setcpu)
    Github kernel source (GPL):
    https://github.com/richardtrip/android-omap-tuna

r1.1 Release Notes
    Code:
    - Fixed Root Issue (mini root fix or full ROM available)

r1 Release Notes
    Code:
    [SIZE="3"]- Slightly modified AOSP based on android-4.0.1_r1.2 ITL41F (compiled from source, not based on stock ROM)

- Includes STOCK ITL41F kernel and NO recovery image (keeps CWM in tact)

- Added Google apps & permissions

- Full adb root, and su & busybox binaries + latest Superuser.apk

- Added REBOOT option to power menu (see above screenshots)

- Added RECOVERY (reboot) option to power menu (see above screenshots)

- Enabled 'Dreams' - Android screensavers, accessible via Settings>Display

- Increased minimum dalvik heap start size to 16mb for performance testing

- Defaults to live wallpaper

- Faster than stock.

- Build defaults to English - Great Britain (sorry ;))

- png optimized and zip-aligned all APKs

- Included working LED Flashlight application

- New VillainROM bootanimation[/SIZE]

NOTES & INSTALLATION PROCEDURE:
    Code:
    [SIZE="3"]1. Copy the ROM to the root of your SD Card

2. Boot into ClockworkMod

3. WIPE DATA/CACHE/DALVIK

4. Install zip from sdcard > select VillainROM.... once installed, reboot.

5. First boot will take a while as it runs pre-dexopt[/SIZE]

ON FIRST BOOT ONLY, you will be given two options :

1. com.android.provision.Default.Activity
    2. Setup Wizard

This is not a bug, it's a feature! ;) If you want to skip the setup wizard and go straight into the OS, select the top one.

Future Plans - NOT YET INCLUDED
    Code:
    - Add VillainROM OTA update notification system

- REMOVE Google OTA system

- Landscape launcher additional functionality

- % Battery mod (100 images)

- Brightness mod (need to investigate)

I am open to suggestions on additional features. Remember, this is an open source project, so I will submit my source to github, and if anyone wishes to contribute, please feel free. Once I have submitted my source to github, I will update this post with the link!

If you want to know how to compile your own AOSP build, click this link

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Download link for VillainROM AOSP R2 for the Galaxy Nexus (GSM)

and an extra GPU OC'ed kernel:
    http://xda.richardtrip.org/samsung/galaxy_nexus/kernels/Villain_Maguro_Kernel_GPUOC.zip

and to revert the kernel:
    http://xda.richardtrip.org/samsung/galaxy_nexus/kernels/Villain_Maguro_Kernel_GPUNOOC.zip

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Past versions-

R1.1:
    >Download<

Patch to update R1.0 or R1.1:
    http://www.multiupload.com/1NND396LCB
    or
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15110285/mini root fix.zip

Enjoy.
    KNOWN ISSUES:

* 2 english keyboards showing up (second one is the working one)
    * Calendar Sync Option not showing under gmail sync options (attempting fix today)
    * gallery isn't showing any picasa albums (attempting fix today)

Work in Progress:

* Port Bravia Engine http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1380342
    * % Battery Mod
    * Brightness level tweaks
    On another note; if you're voting this thread 1 star, can you please say why?

I didn't spend hours of my personal time to produce a (close to) fully working AOSP build with some additional features (for FREE), to get a bunch of 1 star votes with no accompanying feedback.

/RAGE. xD
    It's been reported, I'm sure Nathan's on it.:)

He is indeed. ;)

Its taking a little longer than expected due to new small issues cropping up, but when I get all these issues ironed out, we should have a very nice AOSP rom here.

For the guys saying this is not AOSP due to the camera working, I assure you, it is.

I have now added a few additional features and have just set a build going. Once its done and I have finished my actual work for the day, I will look at the smaller issues such as calendar sync.

Bear with me for now guys; I'll definitely be keeping this ROM updated as I am running it on my main daily phone. I don't want a buggy daily driver ;)
    used to use a GingerVillain ROM on my Desire .... produced by RichardTrip ?

Are you part of the same developer group ? If so the GV ROM was superb and Im glad to see you on board with the Galaxy Nexus :)

We don't see much of Richard Trip any more, but yes. I set up VillainROM with Pulser in 2009.

On another note, I'll investigate the brightness mod (not actually looked into it yet), and look at adding it to the next release.