Increase battery life/performance by lowering screen resolution to 1080p

Search This thread

Shawn5162

Jun 24, 2013
Here is a little tutorial I have put together for the upcoming Motorola Moto X Style (Pure Edition). The new Moto X comes with a Q-HD display. Though a higher resolution might be nice it does use more battery as well. With this simple guide you can force the GPU to render the OS and everything in it, in 1080p instead of Q-HD. The display will still be Q-HD but everything on the phone, including the full Android OS, will be displayed in 1080p. This will increase S.O.T and battery life noticeably.

Prerequisites:

1) A rooted device running stock/stock based ROM.

Step 1:
Install the Terminal Emulator app from the Play Store. Download from HERE

Step 2:
Open the app and type the following:
Code:
su
Grant terminal Emulator super su access.

Step 3:
Next type the following:
Code:
wm size 1080x1920

Step 4:
After that, type:
Code:
wm density 420

Step 5:
Finally to re-render all the un-changed drawables and pre-loaded system components type:
Code:
stop && start
Your phone will now reboot.

That's it! Now you can get some extra juice out of your new Moto X.

To Revert to Stock Settings:

Step 1:

Step 2:
Code:
wm density reset

Step 3:

Last edited:

Shawn5162

Jun 24, 2013
Are there even any QHD videos or games available? What would make use of the QHD screen?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

My point exactly...If you go the the Google developer stats website you can see on 4.7% of apps on Google Play take advantage of QHD. Also almost 89% of youtube videos are max 1080p. Knowing this I put together this guide. So at least Q-HD won't drain my battery.

Reactions: buggerritt

joshhud

Sep 15, 2009
My point exactly...If you go the the Google developer stats website you can see on 4.7% of apps on Google Play take advantage of QHD. Also almost 89% of youtube videos are max 1080p. Knowing this I put together this guide. So at least Q-HD won't drain my battery.

Pretty nice.. I'm going to bookmark this.. It's it easy to change back?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using XDA Free mobile app

dmb219

Feb 25, 2012
Pennsylvania
If this phone comes out as scheduled or somewhere near that and I buy one, I'm going to avoid any tweaks or hacks for a while but I appreciate your info. Thanks for posting it.

joshuadjohnson22

Oct 27, 2011
Atlanta
This could be awesome or a complete fail. I know with other phones I have tried this on some stock apps like camera completely stop working and a lot of the FYI isn't working. However I didn't do this exactly so it may have been the wrong ethod. I'm excited to hear results. ☺

Reactions: ewa12321

NotFatMan

Mar 6, 2013
Can't you just paste this into the terminal in one take?

Code:
su
wm size 1080x1920
wm density 420
stop && start

cerobles1

Sep 10, 2011
Riverview
You could...What device do u have. I could PM u the steps to lower its res.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Currently I have the Galaxy S5 (SM-G900A) AT&T variant, but I'm running an International ROM. I would definitely like to try it and be a ginnie pig. But more than likely I would do it at the end of this week since I have a 4-day weekend coming up, giving me plenty of time in case things go bananas and have to revert back to stock. But please do let me know what the steps are for my current phone.

Ganondroid

Aug 15, 2015
Would this really make a huge impact on the battery life?

I'm curious to know, does the screen actually not turn on each pixel with these options? From what I understand, with LCD screens it's either all or nothing.

If I'm correct about the all or nothing this trick would lower the batter consumption by a bit, but not much. The only thing it would do is lower the tax on the CPU.

jaseman

Aug 27, 2012
Spring
If LCD's on cell phones work the same as on computer screens, then this will not have any affect but to change how things look on the screen. The same number of pixels will still be activated. Only some will do double duty. If you can, go ahead and lower the resolution on your computer screen and things will look larger but all the pixels are still being used. I cannot imagine this will have much, if any effect on battery life. Maybe I'm wrong??

Ganondroid

Aug 15, 2015
If LCD's on cell phones work the same as on computer screens, then this will not have any affect but to change how things look on the screen. The same number of pixels will still be activated. Only some will do double duty. If you can, go ahead and lower the resolution on your computer screen and things will look larger but all the pixels are still being used. I cannot imagine this will have much, if any effect on battery life. Maybe I'm wrong??
This is exactly what I was expecting. There's no way it would have much effect if any.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

joshuadjohnson22

Oct 27, 2011
Atlanta
This is exactly what I was expecting. There's no way it would have much effect if any.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

People did this on the LG G3 and their battery life had a massive jump in SOT. Not sure how it works but it is worth trying for sure. Of anything it will make the phone faster because it isn't pushing so many pixels. Only time will tell use the phone normal for a week to let the battery set in and get a good idea. Then drop it and compare. If it is the same you have yoru answer, if it does what the G3 did and almost doubles the SOT then we will have a party.

Ganondroid

Aug 15, 2015
People did this on the LG G3 and their battery life had a massive jump in SOT. Not sure how it works but it is worth trying for sure. Of anything it will make the phone faster because it isn't pushing so many pixels. Only time will tell use the phone normal for a week to let the battery set in and get a good idea. Then drop it and compare. If it is the same you have yoru answer, if it does what the G3 did and almost doubles the SOT then we will have a party.

The G3 never saw massive battery life jumps. All lowering the resolution did was boost the performance. There was a slight increase in battery life due to lower strain on the CPU/GPU, but that was it. The only way this style of mod would help battery life would be on an OLED screen and it would have to actually turn off some pixels instead of duplicating them.

If you want better battery life from the screen resolution you would have to turn your device into a frankenphone by taking a lower resolution screen from something else, which is essentially impossible at this time.

joshuadjohnson22

Oct 27, 2011
Atlanta
The G3 never saw massive battery life jumps. All lowering the resolution did was boost the performance. There was a slight increase in battery life due to lower strain on the CPU/GPU, but that was it. The only way this style of mod would help battery life would be on an OLED screen and it would have to actually turn off some pixels instead of duplicating them.

If you want better battery life from the screen resolution you would have to turn your device into a frankenphone by taking a lower resolution screen from something else, which is essentially impossible at this time.

even so, not pushing that many pixels on the CPU/GPU may make a pretty noticeable difference. For those who do not mind a fuzzier screen it could be a good solution. I still think it would be worth testing but we will have to come across that bridge when the phones are here. Who knows, maybe it wont be bad to begin with

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is a little tutorial I have put together for the upcoming Motorola Moto X Style (Pure Edition). The new Moto X comes with a Q-HD display. Though a higher resolution might be nice it does use more battery as well. With this simple guide you can force the GPU to render the OS and everything in it, in 1080p instead of Q-HD. The display will still be Q-HD but everything on the phone, including the full Android OS, will be displayed in 1080p. This will increase S.O.T and battery life noticeably.

Prerequisites:

1) A rooted device running stock/stock based ROM.

Step 1:
    Install the Terminal Emulator app from the Play Store. Download from HERE

Step 2:
    Open the app and type the following:
    Code:
    su
    Grant terminal Emulator super su access.

Step 3:
    Next type the following:
    Code:
    wm size 1080x1920

Step 4:
    After that, type:
    Code:
    wm density 420

Step 5:
    Finally to re-render all the un-changed drawables and pre-loaded system components type:
    Code:
    stop && start
    Your phone will now reboot.

That's it! Now you can get some extra juice out of your new Moto X.

To Revert to Stock Settings:

Step 1:

Step 2:
    Code:
    wm density reset

Step 3:
    Cool, I'll go buy the 1080p version of the moto x style.. Where can I get that exactly?

Sarcasm aside, everyone cool with this...didn't come to the moto x for the 2k screen. In fact, that equated zero percentage to the choice to buy this.

If you don't have anything helpful to say. Just move along. Period.
    Issue the commands in the original post with adb. No root needed.....

adb shell
    wm size 1080x1920
    wm density 420

Reboot...

"stop && start" is not necessary. Perform a clean shutdown via Android power menu. Power back on. This has always worked fine on 6.x for me, I've used this on several devices.

If you want to revert...

adb shell
    wm size reset
    wm density reset

Reboot.
    I will never understand why anyone would purposely buy a phone with 2k to reduce the resolution.

Specially since quick charge was introduced.
    Wow, this thing could probably last a week on 640x480 then! :D