[q] error with new kingston 32gb micro sd card

Search This thread

YOSEFE

Sep 12, 2006
UK
Hello there,

I need help with this error on my DZ:
'unable to install application data on the device. Error: /mnt/sdcard/Tecarta/50.dat_temp (I/O error).'

The application I was trying to launch is the NKJV Bible software.

Thanks for your advice.

YOSEFE

Sep 12, 2006
UK
So is this a new SD card that you haven't used before now ?

Correct, I only received it yesterday, and have spent hours formating and reformating to get rid of the "read only" error, and to copy the contents of the original 8GB that came with phone. But now have this problem.

Thanks.

steviewevie

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 28, 2009
UK
Can you use it normally otherwise in the phone ? e.g. can you copy files to it within terminal emulator, or push files to it via adb etc ?

YOSEFE

Sep 12, 2006
UK
Can you use it normally otherwise in the phone ? e.g. can you copy files to it within terminal emulator, or push files to it via adb etc ?

I have not tried that. All I have used is the windows copy as well as making a .wrar file out of the 8gb contents, and then extracting the .wrar to the 32gb card.

Any suggestions?

steviewevie

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 28, 2009
UK
I have not tried that. All I have used is the windows copy as well as making a .wrar file out of the 8gb contents, and then extracting the .wrar to the 32gb card.

Any suggestions?

I would try to copy some files to it via Terminal Emulator, an "explorer" program or similar - so you can see if the phone just doesn't like the SD card, or whether it's only giving an error when installing an app.

YOSEFE

Sep 12, 2006
UK
I would try to copy some files to it via Terminal Emulator, an "explorer" program or similar - so you can see if the phone just doesn't like the SD card, or whether it's only giving an error when installing an app.

I have used the windows explorer to copy files, but what code can I used in terminal emulator to copy say, file "xyz" in the Androidsdk directory /tmp ?

steviewevie

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 28, 2009
UK
I have used the windows explorer to copy files, but what code can I used in terminal emulator to copy say, file "xyz" in the Androidsdk directory /tmp ?

The copy command is "cp", so try something like :

Code:
cp /tmp/xyz /sdcard

If it works ok it should just come back to the command prompt. Also you can do "ls /sdcard" to see everything there, e.g. see if it really did copy it to the SD card.

YOSEFE

Sep 12, 2006
UK
The copy command is "cp", so try something like :

Code:
cp /tmp/xyz /sdcard

If it works ok it should just come back to the command prompt. Also you can do "ls /sdcard" to see everything there, e.g. see if it really did copy it to the SD card.

Thanks. I will try it out.

EDIT: Solved. I had to follow advice from somewhere on the web. I had to put the card in a reader on my windows pc. Navigate to "Computer", then right-click drive "H" (that is what the msd card is on my pc), then click "Properties". After that, I selected "Tools", than clicked "Check now", and clicked "start". However, making sure that the first box (automatically fix file system errors) is checked. Leave "scan for and attempt..." unchecked.
Let the pc do its thing, and when it is done, that is it!

But hey, thanks steviewevie for being there and for being prompt to help me and others get our way around Android.

Last edited: