Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Citizen_Snips

Apr 23, 2012
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Google Pixel Watch 2
Never is too strong a word.

In my use, i have never had to use an outdated app with xposed. Not a single one.
Just a few off the top of my head were Snapprefs, xInsta, YouTube Background Playback, YouTube adaway... If you updated Snapchat, Instagram or YouTube then that would pretty much entirely break the modules functions. Either had to turn off auto updates for those apps (maybe you did this so you never noticed?) or update them and use them normally until the modules were updated. That happened *literally* every couple of days on all 3 of those apps. Can't really speak to any others, I didn't use too many.

It's the same deal with Substratum now. "Oh let me check G+..." *Google+ has stopped* "Oh I see Google plus was recently updated in the play store, I guess I'll have to wait for my theme to update as well, or disable the overlay for G+..."

It absolutely did happen often, where if you wanted the module functionality then you couldn't have the newest version of the app. Until the module developer updated (often by then the original app was updated again breaking the modules latest update). Very seldom was the module updated within hours of the app, usually it was a few days. He's right. Also, and I'm sorry, but I just had to call you on it. You said never is too strong and then used never like 5 words later.

Last edited:

peterlee928

Oct 16, 2014
Just a few off the top of my head were Snapprefs, xInsta, YouTube Background Playback, YouTube adaway... If you updated Snapchat, Instagram or YouTube then that would pretty much entirely break the modules functions. Either had to turn off auto updates for those apps (maybe you did this so you never noticed?) or update them and use them normally until the modules were updated. That happened *literally* every couple of days on all 3 of those apps. Can't really speak to any others, I didn't use too many.

It's the same deal with Substratum now. "Oh let me check G+..." *Google+ has stopped* "Oh I see Google plus was recently updated in the play store, I guess I'll have to wait for my theme to update as well, or disable the overlay for G+..."

It absolutely did happen often, where if you wanted the module functionality then you couldn't have the newest version of the app. Until the module developer updated (often by then the original app was updated again breaking the modules latest update). Very seldom was the module updated within hours of the app, usually it was a few days. He's right. Also, and I'm sorry, but I just had to call you on it. You said never is too strong and then used never like 5 words later.
ok that was kinda funny
wrt never being used
5 words later
after saying never is too strong
agree wrt Mods and youtube
also with hangouts
wutevs tis wut tis
lets all agree
we all want xposed
ow we wouldnt be on this thread
rovo will get it done
just needs time :)

nelsonTituaAa

Jan 25, 2012
Bronx

I still use xposed this way... i havent updated my ig or youtube in such a long time lol

Reactions: Citizen_Snips

Randal84

Jan 4, 2017
Tucson
I wouldn't count in it being the future. Mainly with Google locking more and more down behind closed sourced system files and doing many checks that can't be hidden.

Many of the older devs here see what is coming and that is a day when things like custom roms and xposed are over. Heck even with 7.1.2 will mark a big change as 7.1.1 is the last 32bit Android version released so anything developed for Android after that will have to be for a 64 bit device.

That's what I am starting to dislike about Android, or should I say Google. Android is supposed to be open sourced, and it's slowly becoming Apple. Locked more and more and more down, because they'd rather just give into the generic consumer who doesn't care as long as it "just works". To those people I say buy an iPhone and nothing else. It's really disappointing to see Google just kind of slowly give in to a closed source system, and allow manufacturers like Samsung basically dictate what the next change with Android is based on consumer sales. Samsung should be forced to develop their own OS. if they want to be the next Apple then they should have to part ways with Google completely and develop their own OS. They have Samsung pay along with their own version of nearly every other app made by Google on the market, so to develop their own OS wouldn't be hard for them, and Lord knows they have the money to do it. They already have a large enough fanbase that if they did the loyal Samsung people would most likely follow over. It ruins the experience of Android for hobbyists like myself who specifically buy root/ custom ROM friendly devices like the HTC 10, because "everyone wants a Samsung device". I'm not saying it's completely Samsung's fault but when their sales are second to Apple, they have to be playing a big hand in what Google decides what to do or not to do in development.

monogwai

Jun 3, 2016
Hey all, stupid question-- main thing I used xposed for was the YouTube ad blocker and the minimize feature. Is there another way to facilitate this in N? Thanks.

Hey all, stupid question-- main thing I used xposed for was the YouTube ad blocker and the minimize feature. Is there another way to facilitate this in N? Thanks.

I know that I've seen apps on the Play Store as well as in a few areas within the XDA Forums that's supposed to be able to do that but, I've never tried any of them so I can't attest to any recommendations but, they're out there.

Sent on my Communicator [SCH-I535] from the Bridge of the U.S.S. Enterprise...

***PLZ THANK ME WITH A THUMBS UP***

unibombz

Nov 11, 2011
Thought I'd check the thread. Looking forward to what's to come for Android-N Xposed. I haven't flashed to N as of yet due to no Xposed, as it's an excellent framework. I hope as things progress we will see it soon. Looking forward to what's to come so I can start to use the new OS :)
Realized there has been a lot of under hood changes that messed things up for the team, so hope progress is made!
Thanks for all the previous and future hard work team !

Last edited:
Reactions: Samg381

Samg381

Not really. There are a few threads claiming to offer "patched" YouTube apk's that natively block ads, but every single one of them is imperfect and will only slightly (if not at all) reduce ads. Xposed is our only hope.

IlyaKol

Aug 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
I've finally caved after months of waiting and upgraded to N and did away with xposed. I wish you all the best in your wait for it and I wish Rovo godspeed in getting it figured out but it seems like it's going to get harder and harder for him to do it with each passing OS upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The source code of Android N isn't released yet, so I can't work on Xposed support for it yet.
    There's not much to say at the moment - I haven't started looking into Nougat support yet, expect for syncing the source code to the build server.
    I didn't have that much time for Xposed in the past weeks/month, due to vacation, sickness, private stress and for many other reasons.

The time I had was spent mostly on the server move a while ago and on preparing a new version of Xposed Installer, which would be the prerequisite for the official systemless Xposed. I'm still working on that, and it's much more effort than I had thought due to all those little and bigger things that I want to change/improve. I was wondering whether I should pause these efforts and look into Nougat instead, but two huge projects in parallel are just too much when you have only a few hours per week. Besides that, Nougat usage seems to be still pretty low.

That means: I'm working hard on finishing the work on the installer. Once that is done, I'll either try to get systemless support out (as that was the reason to get started with the installer) or start with Nougat. Not sure yet. Maybe a combination of both, as I'm not sure whether stock ROMs will still run with modified /system at all.
    Is there a time of the year where ETAs are acceptable? I keep reading that it's rude.

Yeah, you are allowed to ask for an ETA between February 30th and February 31st ;) But only on those two days.
    Now we are at the time of the year were we are supposed to ask that one infamous question. When will be Xposed Framework for Android N be released? I know it's really too early to ask but still want to throw in the question just to be sure. :)
    Thread cleaned
    If you are here to make a worthless post like "Xposed is dead" hit the power off button instead of "Send"
    This site is to discuss development not to cry when you can't have something fast enough
    If you are not working on bringing Xposed to N or above, or have good alternatives, leave this thread!
    Posts will be deleted going forward without notice
    Repeat offenders will have actions taken upon their account
    Do what this site was created for...LEARN how to do things for yourself!
    The good people in this thread, please do not respond to troll posts but report them so they can be removed
    Thank you for your cooperation
    Friendly Neighborhood Moderator