UK thread - Contracts, news, information, etc.

Nexus 4 Information Survey Thing!

• Total voters
Search This thread

TeRRa4

Oct 31, 2012
Chesham
bevan.pro
Great thread, very helpful!

More importantly which service provider offers the best speed? No point in having unlimited if its capped to 1mb download speed.

----

Add T-mobile to your list Sim free (click link to find more prices):

12months contract
300mins
5000texts
750mb
£13

1month same deal
£15.50

If T-mobile offers DCHSPA+ (or whats it called) I might settle for this contract otherwise the tesco and virgin deals seems sweet.

Just a FYI, Virgin uses O2 network. Anyone know what download speed O2 offers? and if coverage is good.
I've seen some of 3's DC-HSDPA speeds and the max you can get it, realisticly, is 16mbps, that's 2MB/s. However, you're most likely to get ~12mbps which is 1.5MB/s. They don't throttle, either.

Not sure about the other networks though. You'll have to check on their sites. I only know 3's speeds because I'm with them and went in-store to ask. :p

I'll add your offer to the list, thanks! :D

MizuhoChan

Oct 26, 2011
If anybody is interested in giffgaff, I've got this handy referral here =D

http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/mizuhochan

As for the network, giffgaff uses O2 as well and the speed varies. I got this speed recently. Uploading an old one, since the IP's are different =P

Attachments

• Speedtest.jpg
    Speedtest.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 646

TeRRa4

Oct 31, 2012
Chesham
bevan.pro

As for the network, giffgaff uses O2 as well and the speed varies. I got this speed recently. Uploading an old one, since the IP's are different =P

This is what I got on 3 the other day, keep in mind my HTC Desire only has HSPA and not HSPA+ or DC-HSDPA. ;D

Picture didn't link? Odd.
2408kbps down
1532kbps up
78ms ping
Maidenhead
~200mi

Last edited:

AvRS

Dec 21, 2009
It's good to see this comparison as I've currently reduced my O2 contract down to a rolling 30 day as just finished my 18 month one I had on my S2 and am paying £15.50 for 300 mins, unlimited texts and 500MB data. I know this is crap I just needed to reduce it and this covered my use for the time being. Over the weekend I found the Tesco 30 day contract at £12.50 a month for 500 minutes, 5000 texts and 1GB data which is more than I need and if I find that Google music is amazing and I start streaming I'll just change to something else. I only considered Tesco and GiffGaff as an alternative due to them using O2 but after speaking to a guy at O2 I chose Tesco as all contract support is direct with O2 who have been fantastic for me and offer the best network coverage across everywhere I go. I prefer to be able to pick up a phone rather than have to wait for responses on a forum :p so that ruled out GiffGaff for me.

30 day contracts are the way to go for definite. I saved the money to buy it outright as I was coming to the end of my contract and knew there'd be a new Nexus coming around this time of year. Preparation is everything :p

To the guy sending off his S2 (I'm doing the same) O2 recycle offers the best prices which have stuck at £152 for the past couple of weeks so hopefully should stay the same for the next week till you get the N4. That's my plan if I don't sell it for more to a friend on facebook lol

mojo22

Jun 23, 2012
I only know 3's speeds because I'm with them and went in-store to ask. :p

I'll add your offer to the list, thanks! :D

How's 3 reception though. I've heard people having problems with calls hence why i'm wary and trying to avoid them. They do offer the best connection though I've heard from many.

Maybe you should add further info to the intial thread regarding network coverage etc. (if you're not bothered :) )

What city you in btw?

I see you're in London. Any problem with O2 mobile range? What's the lowest your speed reading have been? Really considering tescos and virgin atm.

It's good to see this comparison as I've currently reduced my O2 contract down to a rolling 30 day as just finished my 18 month one I had on my S2 and am paying £15.50 for 300 mins, unlimited texts and 500MB data.

What city you in?

vizzy

Jan 5, 2012
United Kingdom

3 HSPA+
Orange UK HSPA+
O2 UK HSPA+
Vodafone UK havet HSPA+

So in theory all networks that use 02 should have it.....

Sent from my vivo using Tapatalk 2

mojo22

Jun 23, 2012
Virgin states:

5. Broadband Speed and Access: Broadband speed and access is subject to network coverage and factors outside our control. We cannot guarantee that you will reach the maximum speed advertised. Speed of internet connection assumes the network and components are working at optimum speeds and capacity.

Not sure about their service. Anyone having issues with O2 here in London?

Makaijin

Oct 31, 2007
I'm going to my 2 pence worth. For virtual providers such as giffgaff, despite having unlimited data goodybags, they compress images rather heavily and there is no known way to turn it off. While it is possible to turn it off if you went with O2 proper, with giffgaff (virtual using O2 backbone) you simply cannot. I'm not exactly sure with Virgin but I believe they are also in a similar situation.

If you don't like your images compressed the best deals are to go with Three, as they don't compress images at all. T-mobile used to compress as well but I don't use them no more so I don't know if the situation has changed, especially as they have finally started to change their branding to EE (Everything Everywhere).

As for tethering with Three, technically only the One Plan is officially supported without extra cost. But I have tethered regularly for 2 years without problems even though I am on a SIM only plan with all-you-can eat data without penalty.

My advice is for smartphone data usage Three offers the best value for money. A small reminder best value for money does not mean cheapest. If you want pure bottom prices then giffgaff is your best bet. I use both Three and giffgaff but if I had to choose one I would stick with Three.

dethrat

Jan 2, 2012
I can do better than that i got

3's 1year contract
600 mins
5000 texts
All-you-can-eat-data
£15.90/month full term £190.80

I managed to negotiate 30% off making it £11.13/month full term £133.56

Total saving £57.24

BEAT THAT!!
Sent from my HTC Desire using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

Makaijin

Oct 31, 2007

3's 1year contract
600 mins
5000 texts
All-you-can-eat-data

Total saving £57.24

BEAT THAT!!

Nice deal. Good thing about Three retail stores are the manager special deals they put out. Sometimes they put out some good SIM only deals. My mate got lucky a few months back and signed a 12 month One Plan for £19/month. Was a steal basically.

TeRRa4

Oct 31, 2012
Chesham
bevan.pro

3's 1year contract
600 mins
5000 texts
All-you-can-eat-data

Total saving £57.24

BEAT THAT!!

Haha, this isn't a competition, bro. :p
When I renew my contract with 3 in April I should be able to get about £5. Imagine that deal for £10/month. I'd be all set! :D
Nice one though. 3 seem to be very reasonable when it comes to negotiations. Their view on it is that they get another customer either way and it's more money in their pocket. :D

TubbyHamster

Sep 24, 2008
Derby, UK
www.fictionchris.com
Despite what I previously posted I may pay the extra few quid a month and stay with GiffGaff as my dad pointed out the other day that 3 is a 3G only network... meaning if you are trying to conserve battery then GPRS is not an option... worth taking into account.

Also the great thing about a service like GiffGaff that you can top up is the possibility of discount on the top-up vouchers. My wife works at Tesco and so for the past year and a half I've been paying £9 for each £10 top-up voucher.

If you decide to do something similar then you can maximise savings by buying the Tesco Mobile top up vouchers, they run on the O2 network and the 16 digit code can be redeemed through GiffGaff. As a Tesco employee she gets triple reward card points on all Tesco Mobile Topup purchases (£0.30p for every £10 voucher)

So for the past 18 months I've been effectively paying £8.70 per month, with the increase of GiffGaff pricing to £12 I will over the course of the year have to buy £150 of credit (£12 X 12months rounded up) which will cost me £135 and earn me £4.50 of Tescos points/vouchers. Effectively £10.83 per month with some spare credit left in my GiffGaff account, it will likely be less as I earn a few quid worth of payback each year.

I think this is the option I will follow, texts and data are my mainstays and I reguarly exceed 7gig in a month... my record being 12gig, GiffGaff delivers this and also gives me the option of GPRS should it be needed. :)

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

EddyOS

Jan 2, 2010
London
Are 3 still a 3G-only network? I'd be tempted to go with them but not sure on coverage outside of 3G

ilukecurtis

Nov 4, 2012
London
www.twitter.com
Despite what I previously posted I may pay the extra few quid a month and stay with GiffGaff as my dad pointed out the other day that 3 is a 3G only network... meaning if you are trying to conserve battery then GPRS is not an option... worth taking into account.:)

Check your data usage on GiffGaff, I rarely go over 900MB a month so I'm sticking with the £10 goodybag, and you get to use tethering on that goodbag too! :)

TubbyHamster

Sep 24, 2008
Derby, UK
www.fictionchris.com
I set my Podcast software to sync overnight automatically and let all my updates update when they please. I use tune in radio pro to stream radio and will watch you tube and espn footy highlights on it. It all adds up.

Also when Virgin at home goes down it becomes a HotSpot for a few devices. Against the GiffGaff rules but they haven't detected it so far. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Welcome to the UK Nexus 4 thread on XDA Developers

CONTRACT PRICE COMPARISON
    As is the norm, many of you are planning on obtaining the device SIM-free and unlocked for as little as possible. You may also be considering searching for a good value-for-money SIM-only contract. Here is a handy chart to help make your decision. If you need more information on the individual contracts, check the network's website.

simonly.png

If you're planning on going with 3/Three for the first time, be sure to check out Quidco's deals (thanks Turbotab) and TopCashBack's deals (thanks Azza_1) for added cashback and, technically, money off.

If contracts aren't your thing you can always go for a decent giffgaff goodybag. Giffgaff uses O2's network and masts for signal so you know you'll get a decent amount of coverage.

RETAIL SIM-FREE PURCHASING GUIDE
    retail.png

RETAIL CONTRACT PURCHASING GUIDE
    n4contract.png

NOTICES
    • If ordered from Play, TNT will be delivering your Nexus devices. When entering the tracking number on TNT's site, remember to track as a reference number, not a consignment number.
    • The Nexus 4 is currently in stock on Google Play. This will forever be the best place to buy the phone, provided you can wait upto a week for its arrival. :p

DETAILS
    • TNT do not do Saturday deliveries for the Nexus devices.
    • If you have multiple items in your order, Google will wait until they have both of those items in stock before they despatch your order.

PLEASE NOTE! ALL RETAIL NEXUS 4 "VARIATIONS" ARE IDENTICAL TO THE GOOGLE PLAY MODELS!
    UNLOCKED, NO BRANDING, NO APPS, ETC. THIS WRITING IS BIG AND I HATE IT.

30/12/2012: I apologise for my inactivity in this thread. Lots has been going on in life and I just haven't thought to check here. I'll try to stay on top of this main post, but I doubt I'll be getting involved with thread conversations very often. If you need me to edit this in any way or you have any information that could be useful, please send me a PM.

22/04/2013: I would once again like to apologise for the lack of updates here. I have been busy doing university work, so I haven't had any time to update this until now. All the spreadsheet stuff has been updated.

TeRRa4.
    There seems to be a knowledge gap amongst some posters how the shipping via courier works. Having worked in a logistics role in the past and been end to end with 3 of the major couriers in the country I'm just putting down a quick few words on how it works (or is supposed to). I'll use an example of a parcel going from Glasgow to Aberdeen by TNT, you could equally substitute any other 2 points in the UK - it all goes via Birmingham(!))

There is no way on this earth that C2000 are going to be shipping out boxes of phones to each TNT depot for them to print the labels - rate of shrinkage (euphemism: theft) would be immense. They're going to want this lot tracked to within an inch of it's life - if someone farts near it they'll want that recorded...

So let's say I've decided to send a parcel... from Glasgow to Aberdeen. So I pack it all up and book it in with TNT. TNT generates a waybill with my reference on (so I can print the label) and also assigns it an internal TNT parcel number. At this stage I can tell the recipient that it's coming via TNT and they can track using the reference (or the TNT parcel number if I can be bothered to read it from the waybill). At this point the parcel is still in my possession - and although TNT know about it, it doesn't exist on the web tracker until it's in their possession (depending on the courier that might be as the driver picks it up or as it arrives in the collection depot). It will be scanned in by the collection driver ("collection scan").

The collection driver turns up. Picks up all my parcels and scans them all in. They still don't go live in tracking (but they are now known by the internal TNT system) until he returns to the depot and they are scanned at "collection depot inbound" - now within a few minutes they should definitely be live on the web tracker.

In the collection depot, all "same depot" parcels are extracted (so in my case anything shipping directly out for the Glasgow depot in the morning). Everything else gets shunted off ("trunked") to the hub depot, which is usually between J1 & J10 on the M6 for most UK couriers (simply because by being there they can be "central" in a weighted mean fashion to the vast majority of their business - it's also handy for the UK's major freight airport - Castle Donnington/East Midlands - for the International stuff). As the parcels are loaded for trunking, they are scanned ("collection depot outbound").

At the hub depot, it's all scanned once more (hub inbound") - and the parcels are sorted out by destination depot - so my parcel to Aberdeen gets put in the pile for Aberdeen, other parcels get put in the trunking run for wherever they're bound. Once more they are scanned "hub outbound". The truck chugs up to Aberdeen with my parcel on board.

At the delivery depot - the parcels are scanned again. "Delivery Depot Inbound". Then sorted out in the delivery depot into the various van runs. They are scanned once more "Delivery depot outbound". TNT driver then drives it to the delivery address, where he scans it once more "Customer delivery" and gets you to sign for it.

So... all our parcels are originating from Computer 2000, Lutterworth, Leicestershire. They will most likely be shipped direct to the TNT Hub which will act as both collection depot & hub in this instance. They will then be sorted out by TNT just like any other package to the right destination depots and progressed just like any other parcel as above.
    So we have an official response from Dan....

"Dear all

I know that what you are going through is unacceptable and we are all working through the nights and weekends to resolve this issue. Supplies from the manufacturer are scarce, and our communication has been flawed. I can offer an unreserved apology for our service and communication failures in this process.

For those that originally received a 3-5 days shipping estimate, your orders are now in process for fulfillment. You can expect an email notification early this week which will include tracking information. Although you will be initially charged in full, you will receive a credit for the shipping charge soon after.
    For others that received pre-Christmas shipping estimates, we anticipate processing your orders for fulfillment this week.

I realise that the people who ordered the Nexus 4 so early are among our most committed and loyal users and we are doing all we can to put things right.

Sorry again.

Dan"

Anybody who has not had action on their account, who are entitled to it according to his statement, might be worth giving Google a quick call to double check. But otherwise...

1) Communication from Google to all customers on what has gone wrong, including an apology.
    I would say Dan has apologised a number of times, and given a (Google and LG approved) reason for the problem.

2) Accurate shipping information supplied to all outstanding Nexus 4 orders within 48 hours.
    Looks like this has happened, no shipping emails just yet but only time will tell - I'd be interested to hear in the next 24 hours if there are any original November 13th limbo orders that have not been actioned.

3) Accurate information provided to customers on when the money will be taken back out of their account with at least 24 hours notice.
    Not quite - there have been users whose accounts have had requests for money from Google, but there was not sufficient funds. I don't know what will happen to these orders, or if Google are aware of the issue for any user that has experienced it. Let me know.

4) As the initial communications regarding estimated shipping were inadequate, (which is major factor in deciding to purchase the device) at least a full refund for all overdue shipping costs.
    Again, this appears to happening.

5) An apology to your Customer Service Representatives for putting unneeded pressure and stress upon them because of the lack of internal communications.
    Not sure from Dan's statement.

6) Shipping to be conducted on a “first come, first served” basis, based on the time on our Google Wallet receipts.
    again not directly addressed, but we would have to presume this is now happening.

7) All future communication regarding any shipping of Google Play to be improved greatly.
    Only time will tell.

All in all, personally I think Dan has done as much as he can to get things sorted for us all. There are still a few remaining questions, which I will ask in time, but I think it's sensible to let a little time pass to see exactly what situation we are in.

I did not do this. We did this. This happened because of all of us, everyone who raised the alarm with Dan so he would speak openly, every single one of you who signed up to give weight to our argument, and the continued posting around the web to raise awareness. And let's not forget Dan, too. Thank you, I KNOW there are a lot of people with more hair now because of it.

(But we're still watching :) and if there are still problems let me know!)
    I think everyone here is speculating too much. All of us from the December orders said the exact same things, discussed the same things and were able to prove a lot of it false.

Ultimately, my first order in december missed the delivery date by just a few days (after 6 weeks of waiting)
    My second order placed yesterday arrived this morning at 8am, 17hrs and 2 minutes after ordering.

Too many are quick to jump to conclusions that you're going to have to wait for 2 weeks.

Firstly, when you ordered - isn't that what you expected? Were you not told 1-2 weeks for delivery? If you were guaranteed delivery today, and didn't get it, fair enough, moan to your hearts content, but that wasn't the case. Everyone, including me, ordered under the impression we will get it in 2 weeks time. Anything earlier, we should be grateful.

Secondly, who said you are going to have to wait 2 weeks? Just because you didn't receive yours today doesn't mean it won't come tomorrow? As you can imagine, there are loads of people ordering these phones, do you honestly expect TNT to dedicate their entire operations and all resources just to ship out phones for Google? They have capacity, only so many can be shipped out in a day.

In the december batch, people that ordered a week after me received their phone a day or two earlier, that was it. I can survive a day or two - it won't be the end of the world if you get your phone a few days later.

Google isn't shipping things out manually. Likewise, it would be ridiculous to expect them to roll out phones and place them in the containers chronologically. We can safely say each phones IMEI is linked to the order, as usually is. So you cannot expect them to individually pick out phones one by one, based on their time, the minute and the second they ordered to make sure it is all unloaded off the planes in exact order and it's absurd to even assume such a thing. They're done in batches, like everything else. If you weren't in todays batch of deliveries, you might be in tomorrows, or the day after or the day after that.

And to prevent some of the same discussions from being repeated over and over again:

FACT: Choosing to link your device or not during checkout has ZERO impact on your delivery
    FACT: Assuming you are in mainland UK, your location has ZERO impact on your ship date (if TNT get lost finding you that's unrelated)
    FACT: Ordering 2 seconds before the next guy does not mean you will receive your order before him/her.
    FACT: The guys at the airport in Korea are not loading phones one by one by hand while looking at who ordered at what precise second and minute in the day. Likewise, the guys at the airport in the UK won't be doing that, nor will TNT. It will be in a batch.
    FACT: If you didn't receive your phone today, it doesn't mean you will never ever receive it
    FACT: You all purchased under the assumption delivery will be in two weeks time, worst case. It has been just 1 day and a lot of people are already moaning - "i ordered a product with a 2 week shipping estimate and it's been 1 day and i still haven't received it, google sucks" -> sounds ridiculous.

I've been following this thread closely even after I've received my devices and giving input where I can in hopes it can help others, but honestly, moaning after just 24hrs of ordering for a product that was stated for 2 weeks delivery is, ridiculous.

If after 2 weeks you haven't received it, then go complain like hell, you have every right to.. but not so early on.