[Q] I have ME7 rooted, want to OTA to MK2 and reroot

Search This thread

arnemetis

Oct 4, 2013
Hello everyone, thanks for everyone's hard work. The s4 is my first smartphone and root. I used the exploit on http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2380325 without issue.

I'd like to update before 4.4 is pushed, since it doesn't seem rootable yet. I've read over the saferoot thread and it appears pretty straightforward.

My question is, what should I do to prepare my phone for the update and root to go smoothly? I know I have to unfreeze the update app and the bloat. I will do a full backup in titanium. Do I have to remove things like adaway and greenify? I made maps a system app in titanium to properly greenify it, do I need to revert that?

Thanks for any help!

RMACEVO427

Dec 11, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
When will the new OTA be pushed? I wanna root but I'm on MK2. Is there a way to flash any boot loader yet for mk2 or any version?

Sent from my...
☆Verizon Galaxy S4☆

---------- Post added at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

Or is it all just safestrap..?

Sent from my...
☆Verizon Galaxy S4☆

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

My bad is there a way to flash a custom recovery not bootloader***

Sent from my...
☆Verizon Galaxy S4☆

Surge1223

Recognized Contributor
Nov 6, 2012
Florida
Google Pixel 6 Pro
When will the new OTA be pushed? I wanna root but I'm on MK2. Is there a way to flash any boot loader yet for mk2 or any version?

Sent from my...
☆Verizon Galaxy S4☆

---------- Post added at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

Sent from my...
☆Verizon Galaxy S4☆

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

Sent from my...
☆Verizon Galaxy S4☆

Have you ever visited these threads before? Heres some quick advice: edit less and read more.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: joshm.1219

gunnermike

Dec 13, 2010
Crestview
Don't EVER take an OTA. I got me S4 before the Nazi's locked the boot loader. I wont take an OTA. You can flash modems, ROM's and kernels separately so there is no reason to take the OTA and reroot. Just flash a ROM. You may have to wait an extra week or so to get the latest version, but that's better than ending up with a locked boot loader.

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
Don't EVER take an OTA. I got me S4 before the Nazi's locked the boot loader. I wont take an OTA. You can flash modems, ROM's and kernels separately so there is no reason to take the OTA and reroot. Just flash a ROM. You may have to wait an extra week or so to get the latest version, but that's better than ending up with a locked boot loader.

I knew the Nazis had something to do with it.. The locked bootloaders have creepy little black mustache written all over them.

And actually now that were on it.... Is Hashcode also a Nazi?
S.S. ???
Hmmmmmmm

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

arnemetis

Oct 4, 2013
Thanks for the replies. In this case I appear to be more knowledgeable. My phone came with ME7, which means it already has a locked bootloader. I cannot flash custom roms, aside from using maybe safestrap. Given that I'm not interested in running that, my only option for android updates and Samsung app updates is to do an ota.

I'd really like to avoid bricking my phone, as I haven't had much luck searching this topic. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

hexitnow

Jun 19, 2013
Idaho
Thanks for the replies. In this case I appear to be more knowledgeable. My phone came with ME7, which means it already has a locked bootloader. I cannot flash custom roms, aside from using maybe safestrap. Given that I'm not interested in running that, my only option for android updates and Samsung app updates is to do an ota.

I'd really like to avoid bricking my phone, as I haven't had much luck searching this topic. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

You're easiest option will probably be backing up with titanium, using Odin to flash the newest update you're wanting, then root with saferoot and restore your backup. You won't have to worry about unfreezing anything or removing root. Everything you need is in the development section. There is also a guide in I believe the general section on the dos and don'ts of your phone and what to expect.

Hit thanks if I helped you out. Doing a little bit of reading goes a long way. Sent via tapatalk.

Reactions: arnemetis

arnemetis

Oct 4, 2013
Thanks hexitnow. Silly me, I figured my answers would be in the q&a section, not the general one. I had also dismissed odin as useless as I couldn't flag anything custom, now that I researched it I see it can be used to flash a standard update as well. I have located a download for the mk2 update at androidromupdate which I will give a try later. I was going to ask in the development section, but I didn't have enough posts. Guess that's a good thing, keep suckers like me or until we know what we're doing. Thanks again.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Sent from my...
    ☆Verizon Galaxy S4☆

Sent from my...
    ☆Verizon Galaxy S4☆

Sent from my...
    ☆Verizon Galaxy S4☆

Have you ever visited these threads before? Heres some quick advice: edit less and read more.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

You're easiest option will probably be backing up with titanium, using Odin to flash the newest update you're wanting, then root with saferoot and restore your backup. You won't have to worry about unfreezing anything or removing root. Everything you need is in the development section. There is also a guide in I believe the general section on the dos and don'ts of your phone and what to expect.

Hit thanks if I helped you out. Doing a little bit of reading goes a long way. Sent via tapatalk.