Speaker Volume Boost for KitKat 4.4.2

Search This thread

theresin

Dec 8, 2012
Tempe, Arizona
So one of the biggest disappointments I've had with just about all my Samsung Galaxy devices has been the volume output from the external speaker - especially when watching movies.

So, as someone else asked about this in one of the ROM forums, I thought I would share my little tweak with the rest of you, and show how to do it yourself so you can play around with all sorts of volume tweaks.

As is the case with most things, be careful making changes to system files - I am not responsible if somehow you change a setting that results in the annihilation of the entire human race! (but really ... the worst that'll happen is it won't change anything, or you'll crash on boot ... so back everything up, and nandroid)

Process:

1) Download and extract either the moderate, or extreme file uploaded to this post.

2) Using your file explorer of choice, navigate to system/etc/snd_soc_msm

3) Back up the file titled snd_soc_msm_2x_Fusion3_auxpcm (i just add a .bak to the end of it, but moving it to another location works too)

4) Copy/move the downloaded snd_soc_msm_2x_Fusion3_auxpcm file into the system/etc/snd_soc_msm directory.

5) Set the permissions to rw-r-r (errors and crashes if you don't)

5) Hot-boot or re-boot your phone, and boom ... the speaker is quite a bit louder.

This only "boosts" the external speaker, not the headset speaker, or bluetooth, or the headphone lineout.

Alternatively, if you'd like to know how to do this for future reference, I'll teach you! (because tinkering around is how we all learn in the first place, right?)

1) Open the snd_soc_msm_2x_Fusion3_auxpcm file in Notepad++ and search for "speaker" ... you're looking for the line that says "Comment "Speaker Rx device" "

2) Below that you'll see several values under "EnableSequence" ... you want to edit the "RX5 Digital Volume"

3) Change the default value from 66.9% to something like 75% (I used 72.9 for the moderate and 77.9 for the extreme)

Save the file, copy it over, and there you go.

I would caution against going much higher than 77.9% ... you could do some serious damage to the speaker if you go too high...you've been warned!

You can also play around with some of the other "digital volume" values under the other headers .. such as "headset device", etc.

Good luck folks - enjoy turning your amps up to 11!

Last edited:

ejohn3288

Sep 28, 2011
This worked great! Thank you so much! Extreme distorts it a bit if put all the way up. I know this was bound to happen when tweaking the volume. so im about to try moderate also. But it definitely works.

Edit: Moderate is just right. Noticeably louder! But not that extreme for distortion to be caused. Thank you!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: theresin

eklipz3

Feb 6, 2009
Fairfield, Ca
This worked great! Thank you so much! Extreme distorts it a bit if put all the way up. I know this was bound to happen when tweaking the volume. so im about to try moderate also. But it definitely works.

+1 on this working everytime i update my rom this is one of the first things i do and it works very well.

Reactions: theresin

theresin

Dec 8, 2012
Tempe, Arizona
Glad it's working. I definitely hear you (pun intended?) about the distortion thing, but that's unavoidable. I personally only use the "moderate" boost - I'm not that deaf..yet.

You can definitely mess around and increase the volume of the line-out (headphones), and the call speaker .. if anyone wants those, let me know and i'll upload them.

Jaimesco12

Apr 28, 2012
Glad it's working. I definitely hear you (pun intended?) about the distortion thing, but that's unavoidable. I personally only use the "moderate" boost - I'm not that deaf..yet.

You can definitely mess around and increase the volume of the line-out (headphones), and the call speaker .. if anyone wants those, let me know and i'll upload them.
I would like those can you upload them please ? Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cowbell_Guy

Jun 24, 2013
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Thanks so much for your hard work, great post will try tonight. Would also be interested in increasing the volume of the call speakers

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

ejohn3288

Sep 28, 2011
Where do you find notepad++ I don't think o see it in the market. Who is the Dev for it? Does anyone have a link?

biglil1

May 22, 2012
Gwinn
Haha, now i feel dumb lol. Thank you!

Np; I never tried it but you might also be able to use root explorer long press on the file then choose open with text editor. Make your edits then back out and save. If it does it like when you edit a Csc file it'll save the original by adding .bak to it and imo that's a plus

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

52brandon

Feb 3, 2010
Np; I never tried it but you might also be able to use root explorer long press on the file then choose open with text editor. Make your edits then back out and save. If it does it like when you edit a Csc file it'll save the original by adding .bak to it and imo that's a plus

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

you can, but I never do. I always want a backup of the original. And more than that, I want a backup of the modded file on my computer so I can put it back on my phone everytime I flash, instead of digging through all the lines. Back when I used to spend like 20 hours a week tweaking my phone, I had a blank flashable .zip that I could just throw those files in to flash. Wish I still had all those goofy little files on that toasted HDD

Reactions: biglil1

theresin

Dec 8, 2012
Tempe, Arizona
you can, but I never do. I always want a backup of the original. And more than that, I want a backup of the modded file on my computer so I can put it back on my phone everytime I flash, instead of digging through all the lines. Back when I used to spend like 20 hours a week tweaking my phone, I had a blank flashable .zip that I could just throw those files in to flash. Wish I still had all those goofy little files on that toasted HDD
You're 100% correct on all of this. I highly recommend doing all edits like this on your computer. You certainly can do them on your device, but it's safer and easier to do them on your computer.

Plus...you'll learn a lot more when you can spread those files out and really dig in.

theresin

Dec 8, 2012
Tempe, Arizona
So i'm still working on it...just wanted to let you guys know I haven't forgotten. I've tried lots of different things and haven't had any luck yet. It's possible there's some sort of hard-coded limiter to how loud you can make the headphone jack go, but we'll see if I can't work it out. Give me the next 24 hours to keep plugging away.

Plus, gives me a good chance to listen to a lot Gogol Bordello while I tweak sound settings ;)

robertwhitten87

Apr 16, 2010
Toeldo, Ohio
So i'm still working on it...just wanted to let you guys know I haven't forgotten. I've tried lots of different things and haven't had any luck yet. It's possible there's some sort of hard-coded limiter to how loud you can make the headphone jack go, but we'll see if I can't work it out. Give me the next 24 hours to keep plugging away.

Plus, gives me a good chance to listen to a lot Gogol Bordello while I tweak sound settings ;)

Awesome Man!!! Wasn't expecting that kind of response when I asked.... Actually didn't realize this thread was new either haha. I thought it was an old thread that I was hoping someone just had an answer too.:laugh:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So one of the biggest disappointments I've had with just about all my Samsung Galaxy devices has been the volume output from the external speaker - especially when watching movies.

So, as someone else asked about this in one of the ROM forums, I thought I would share my little tweak with the rest of you, and show how to do it yourself so you can play around with all sorts of volume tweaks.

As is the case with most things, be careful making changes to system files - I am not responsible if somehow you change a setting that results in the annihilation of the entire human race! (but really ... the worst that'll happen is it won't change anything, or you'll crash on boot ... so back everything up, and nandroid)

Process:

1) Download and extract either the moderate, or extreme file uploaded to this post.

2) Using your file explorer of choice, navigate to system/etc/snd_soc_msm

3) Back up the file titled snd_soc_msm_2x_Fusion3_auxpcm (i just add a .bak to the end of it, but moving it to another location works too)

4) Copy/move the downloaded snd_soc_msm_2x_Fusion3_auxpcm file into the system/etc/snd_soc_msm directory.

5) Set the permissions to rw-r-r (errors and crashes if you don't)

5) Hot-boot or re-boot your phone, and boom ... the speaker is quite a bit louder.

This only "boosts" the external speaker, not the headset speaker, or bluetooth, or the headphone lineout.

Alternatively, if you'd like to know how to do this for future reference, I'll teach you! (because tinkering around is how we all learn in the first place, right?)

1) Open the snd_soc_msm_2x_Fusion3_auxpcm file in Notepad++ and search for "speaker" ... you're looking for the line that says "Comment "Speaker Rx device" "

2) Below that you'll see several values under "EnableSequence" ... you want to edit the "RX5 Digital Volume"

3) Change the default value from 66.9% to something like 75% (I used 72.9 for the moderate and 77.9 for the extreme)

Save the file, copy it over, and there you go.

I would caution against going much higher than 77.9% ... you could do some serious damage to the speaker if you go too high...you've been warned!

You can also play around with some of the other "digital volume" values under the other headers .. such as "headset device", etc.

Good luck folks - enjoy turning your amps up to 11!
    Hello,
    And THANK YOU Theresin and everyone else who was / is working on this. I just wanted to see if there were any updates yet on how to boost the Headphone, Bluetooth and In-Call Volume? Please help! I really need this, I love the phone but it's so quiet it's ridiculous!
    *** I would even be willing to donate to someone if they can figure out and make a .zip flash that works to boost these and the instructions on what values to change also.
    Thanks again for everyone's help and input!!!

Hey guys .. sorry it's been so long! Work and real life definitely started to monopolize my time.

I've received a few PM's and posts on here asking if I (or anyone else) has looked into boosting other aspects of the S4's volume (headset, BT, etc). In my original testing I had a difficult time locating the exact values that would change those settings .. and I'm sure if any of you have also dug into that file, you'll see there's quite a few possible values that look like they SHOULD be the ones that'll do what you're looking for. To this point, however - I wasn't able to get any of them to work.

That being said, I no longer use the S4 as my daily driver (I've got an S5 through work and a Note 4 Edge as my personal) ... but I DO still have my MDK S4 and will be happy to play around with it again this weekend since so many of you have been kind enough to thank me for my earlier work. No promises of course! And I'm open to any suggestions any of you might have noticed in the months since I have been inactive.

Any idea on what boost those devices?:laugh:
    Totally my bad for not getting those out to you guys yet...life got busy (doesn't it always?).

I think I know which ones will boost those settings, I'll work on it this evening and let you know.

Edit: Moderate is just right. Noticeably louder! But not that extreme for distortion to be caused. Thank you!