GPS Nav via TetherGPS on Nook Tablet

Search This thread

lionclaw

May 22, 2010
I was able to get TetherGPS running on my NT. Google maps and turn-by-turn nav are working fine.

Instructions:

1. On your NT, download TetherGPS Lite from here:

http://comptonsoft.com/test/

2. Install TetherGPS. When prompted, enable 3rd party apps and enable mock locations in the development settings menu.

If the Application Settings menu doesn't pop up, you can get back to it by downloading something I hacked together to get to the menu (tgps_launcher) from the address above. Click start in tgps_launcher and the menu will open.

3. Install Google Maps. I have an older version of the APK at the site above, or you can find a newer/better one.

4. Make sure the NT is connected to your phone's wifi hot spot, the TetherGPS server is running on your phone, and the TetherGPS client is running on your NT.

To launch any of the apps, you can click your "n" button, hit search, and start to type in their names. They will appear in, and can be launched from, the search list. (thanks to jdlothar for this tip!)

Last edited:

Drewmungus

Apr 26, 2010
Nice and thank you! You can also install go launcher and just choose stuff straight from the app drawer.

af3556

May 1, 2011
TetherGPS "not receiving location"

I'm trying to use TetherGPS with the client on a Nook Color running CM7 stable (7.1.0), server on a Nexus S - tethered via wifi tethering.

Once both client and server are started, the client reports "not receiving location" - any ideas?

phon00b

Aug 21, 2011
Good stuff.

If anyone can help me with this, I'm having trouble with street view. When I select it, I'm told there is no app to handle street view. Is there a separate apk just for street view?

Sent from my BNTV250 using xda premium

phon00b

Aug 21, 2011
Thanks. I wasn't able to get it through the market, but I found an apk and it installed without a problem.

af3556

May 1, 2011
Once both client and server are started, the client reports "not receiving location" - any ideas?

Solution: make sure the server actually has a GPS signal :)

The problem was I was testing this indoors, and whilst the phone (server) had a location (via cell/wifi), it did not have GPS lock. Once I'd moved to the window and waited for the necessary time to acquire GPS lock, the TetherGPS server began sending data.

lionclaw

May 22, 2010
Version 1.2.0 was just posted. It includes some changes to make it easier to troubleshoot problems. It's now obvious if/when the server transmits location, if the client receives it, and how old the fix is. The server also will transmit network-derived locations if a gps fix is not available or if it is too old.

There was an update to the TGPS network protocol. This version will require you to update both the client and server, otherwise the client will report a version mismatch and not function.

- TetherGPS now sends the best available location (network or gps), and indicates the type and age of the fix on the notification bar.
- Icons have been updated.
- Different color icons now indicate status.
+ Gray = no connection
+ Red = very stale fix or no position
+ Yellow = stale fix
+ Blue = good fix.

pk62wu

Jun 10, 2010
The tethergps apps works good on rooted nook tablet and g2x. Google maps picked up signal but get a force close when it switches from the map to navigation mode. Tried reinstalling apps with no luck. Route 66 and Navigon both seem to work fine with turn by turn navigation.

Last edited:

Weo

Mar 25, 2010
Tested with HD2 T-Mobile running AmeriCanAndroid and rooted NT running ADW Launcher, using WiFi Tether and trial Tether GPS Lite.

For others giving this trial a test drive, as mentioned in the marketplace, you can only use it for a limited amount of time before it times out (trial version). Similarly, if you are turning it off and on while experimenting with settings to get it working, you have to wait a certain amount of time. Just be aware, and read the status messages on your phone so you know whether the system is actually working or if its just timed out/waiting for timer to start up. No big complaints about this other than some nubs like me getting a little confused setting this up to make sure it works before purchase. Also, for nubs like me, make sure you follow the directions in the first post for allowing "mock locations" on the tablet.

Otherwise, the maps, GPS location, and directions seem to work very well. Great work! :) Unfortunately I haven't figure out how to get the turn-by-turn navigation running.

How did you get the Navigation to work? When I click on the Nav button on the top right of Google Maps it force closes. If I click on the Nav button from the drop down menu on the upper left, it says that I need "driveabout". Did you side-load a Google Navigation Beta apk file?

tgraves

Jun 15, 2010
Los Altos, CA
Is this in response to my Nav question?
Yes, On the NT, install a widget that allows you to turn on your GPS (even though the NT doesn't have have one) I use Power Control widget (1 widget controls WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS and screen brightness). Just have the GPS enabled with that widget, and you should be good to go. It worked for me to allow turn by turn.

Reactions: Weo

Weo

Mar 25, 2010
Yes, On the NT, install a widget that allows you to turn on your GPS (even though the NT doesn't have have one) I use Power Control widget (1 widget controls WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS and screen brightness). Just have the GPS enabled with that widget, and you should be good to go. It worked for me to allow turn by turn.

I'm familiar with the power control widget. Thanks! I'll give it a try. :)

dursty

Mar 27, 2010
I'm getting a "enable a My Location source in system settings" error.. don't know where that is on the Nook. Normally it's under Location & Security but on course on the Nook there is only a couple of options under security. Seems like everybody would be getting this message but nobody has posted anything about it and nothing is mentioned about this in the installation instructions.

Elmar1801

Jan 26, 2008
NRW
Don't forget to activate "mock locations" in development settings.

Sent from my B&N Nook Tablet using XDA Premium App

dursty

Mar 27, 2010
I did that (both check boxes).. don't see anywhere else where I can "Enable a My location source" in system settings.. (is Mock location supposed to suppress this error message?)

dursty

Mar 27, 2010
LOL, no solution yet, I just double posted by accident and wanted to delete the duplicate. I'll work on it some more tonight but haven't found a solution yet. Be nice to have the GPS data fed to the tablet though.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I was able to get TetherGPS running on my NT. Google maps and turn-by-turn nav are working fine.

Instructions:

1. On your NT, download TetherGPS Lite from here:

http://comptonsoft.com/test/

2. Install TetherGPS. When prompted, enable 3rd party apps and enable mock locations in the development settings menu.

If the Application Settings menu doesn't pop up, you can get back to it by downloading something I hacked together to get to the menu (tgps_launcher) from the address above. Click start in tgps_launcher and the menu will open.

3. Install Google Maps. I have an older version of the APK at the site above, or you can find a newer/better one.

4. Make sure the NT is connected to your phone's wifi hot spot, the TetherGPS server is running on your phone, and the TetherGPS client is running on your NT.

To launch any of the apps, you can click your "n" button, hit search, and start to type in their names. They will appear in, and can be launched from, the search list. (thanks to jdlothar for this tip!)

Is there a separate apk just for street view?
    market.android.com/details?id=com.google.android.street
    Is this in response to my Nav question?
    LOL, no solution yet, I just double posted by accident and wanted to delete the duplicate. I'll work on it some more tonight but haven't found a solution yet. Be nice to have the GPS data fed to the tablet though.

so,
    load gps tether on a phone with GPS and the NT.

Enable mock locations.

Run GPST as server on phone, as client on NT

Run Maps.

I looked back and that's all I've ever done and it worked first crack.