Best RSS Reader App

Search This thread

DominatingSystem

Jun 4, 2009
AW: Best RSS Reader App

Since press have received a update.. It's the best for me.

\\\... send with the Nexus 7 3G ...///

dems86

Nov 3, 2012
Sacramento
Always used greader pro but since last update to press I'm liking it a lot more

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

ouldsmobile

Jan 29, 2011
Since press have received a update.. It's the best for me.

\\\... send with the Nexus 7 3G ...///

Are you able to swipe to next article in the latest version of Press? i couldn't find a way to do it, had to use the clunky arrow buttons which are kind of annoying. It's really the only thing holding me back on this one. I still revert to greader but may try some of the other options in this thread as well.

dems86

Nov 3, 2012
Sacramento
I use greader pro for its scrollable widget, and but press has almost overnight become my reader of choice. Since I downloaded it after first release it has grown in leaps and bounds when it comes to performance.

qx876

Sep 13, 2012
AW: Best RSS Reader App

Whatever I try after some time with a 3rd party reader, I always come back to stock.

All the others I tried, failed for me on features I want in a reader. There are gorgeous looking ones, press for example looks great but cannot swipe --> no go.
gReader pro, has an enormous set of features but syncing had failures, pity, that one was the best I tried.

I dont know how many I tried and how much I paid for all those readers, in the end its always the ugly duck google reader.

Tough love for news junkies on android.

one less gadget.

bk11222

May 15, 2012
brooklyn
feedly

greader seems seems to have a lot of supporters. I'm liking feedly. after organizing my feeds into folders (technology, world news) I like the magazine feel it gives my morning routine. I can choose the latest option and all my feeds come to mee by most recent published. I can do the same with folders or read individual feeds. great UI. much better than pulse and clipboard. similar to.currents, but I found currents to be laggy. on the whole I would say it has the the power of currents with the grace of flipboard.

Last edited:

matus201

Oct 16, 2010
The main feature I need in RSS reader is the ability to sync offline: not only RSS and its images, but (for feeds I select) the whole page. Ideally with option to choose between syncing mobile page or full page.

I used Greader Pro for the longest time, but now I switched to JustReader as it seems to be faster - but it is not perfect.

Does Press have this option to offline synchronize the whole webpage?

WonderWoofy

Jan 24, 2013
Los Gatos
I like just reader... I tried other and there were many nice ones, but this one just kind of stuck out to me.

streakthequad

Feb 20, 2011
The main feature I need in RSS reader is the ability to sync offline: not only RSS and its images, but (for feeds I select) the whole page. Ideally with option to choose between syncing mobile page or full page.

I used Greader Pro for the longest time, but now I switched to JustReader as it seems to be faster - but it is not perfect.

Does Press have this option to offline synchronize the whole webpage?

Press does not sync the whole page offline. But as a heavy Pocket user, I use that for offline reading instead. I use gReader on my phone instead of press

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: matus201

TauTau

Feb 20, 2006
One thing I miss in a lot of readers, and that is essential for me, is to mark stuff read when I scroll it away. With reaching 1000+ articles regularly, this is a must.

Reactions: qx876

guthrien

Feb 26, 2011
Someone pointed me today to Deer Reader. There's a free version I'd definitely check it out. More of the Press and Reader HD school of design which is my preference. I wish they all had Reader's settings options

mmegalodon

Aug 14, 2010
Is anyone successfully using the new noinnion gReader beta (holo UI) on their N7?

Looking like a nice update, at least on my phone. :p

Enviado desde mi Nexus

Last edited:

_Variable

Jun 10, 2012
Manila
Try gReader.

mmegalodon

Aug 14, 2010
Yeah one of the beta updates solved the FC issue, no matter the DPI. That holo swag is no lie. :thumbup:

This reader keeps on trucking. Been using it since 3,/28/2011! To think 2 way sync wasnt even available then. :rolleyes:

gReader Pro got that mad holo swag mark as read on scroll.

byqeqy5a.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What don't you like about JustReader? My go to tablet reader. Pictures show up pretty good, though not perfect. As for why an app doesn't do what you want it to do, trust me, it's a stupidly hard thing to do. You'd think it would be built in to android to make that an option, but by the time you are allowed to measure pixel size, all the automatic calls have passed. It takes some rewriting of how views measure themselves. I went through that with my Read It Later app I was working on before I canned it when Pocket came out.

For the apps that overcame that issue (JustReader being one of them) you then have the problem of online pictures being small. A 320x480 picture would be about 2.7" diagonally on a 7" 1280*800 screen. If you look at a feed like The Verge that uses large pictures, you will seem them fill edge to edge (on JustReader). However, other places use much smaller pictures. Then you have the problem that a lot of places send smaller pictures over RSS. For example, LifeHacker uses ~600x400 pictures on their website, but half that size on their RSS page. I will say I wish Just Reader handled images a little better in that it still centered the picture above the text (not hard to do, but I guess that was the devs design choice), but it scales pictures up to, but not past the devices native resolution, but it cannot magically make pictures higher res. None of these can. The alternative is super pixelated larger pictures.

*I don't mean to sound like a JustReader fanboy, it's simply the app I use and have experience with. I'm sure many of the other apps handle this the same way. I also feel that this is the most "Reeder" like app I've used. In fact, I prefer it due to the more customizable swipe gestures.
    gReaderPro. Best RSS reader available for Android from the functionality point of view, if you subscribe to dozens of feeds like I do it is really the way to go. If your RSS needs are more casual stuff like Flipboard and Currents or Pulse may suffice (prettier to look at).
    I use Feedly, works great on android and on desktop in Firefox or chrome

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    Use Taptu that can integrate with Google reader and social networks etc :)
    ReaderHD. That's my favorite RSS reader app..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app