Car mount

Search This thread

Incarniac

Aug 16, 2008
London
So it's time to find a car mount for the SGS2.

For the HD2 I used an air vent mount (this). I don't like the windscreen suction mounts (just my preference, even though they tend to be more flexible in terms of positioning the device), and the positioning of the air vent mount is almost perfect in my car. The only thing that is a little annoying is that the fixed one obviously don't allow any turning at all, which can be annoying when it's sunny as I'd prefer to have the screen point more directly at me.

Therefore I'm looking for an air vent mount that has some sort of swivel included - basically something similar to this for, or perhaps something more generic like this or this.

Has anyone used any of these (or the windscreen suction mount equivalents) from either Ultimate Addons or Arkon? How well made and durable are they? How well do they hold their position?

Are there other ones I've missed that I should consider?

Thanks in advance for any input!

pennas

May 8, 2011
I'm looking for the same thing, preferably specific to the S2 (much better to slip it into a custom holder, rather than placing it in a generic one then tighten the grips etc).

Something like this (no link allowed.. see gripmount on mobilefun) on the air vent would be great.

vinokirk

Mar 30, 2008
England
I also like vent holders! I just buy a cheap generic one and modify it to fit my needs.
Obviously this involves taking apart my vent and drilling holes in the phone holder, put you get just the thing you need! Plus its also wayyyy more stable as you use cable ties to get it solidly in place.
The mounts that usually come with the vent holder are flimsy and usually end up falling off!

DJGibbon

Jun 11, 2007
The gripmount on mobilefun looks great, but I can't see how it manages to fit the SGS2 both with and without a case! I'm using a silicone skin with mine and would rather have something that will work without me having to take it on and off. Is the mount slightly bendy so the phone just clips in? Anyone got any experience of these?

David Horn

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 30, 2008
Manchester
I've decided to just hold fire until the official Samsung mount comes out - it looks pretty good on their website and I can order the desktop dock at the same time. :)

DracoDrake

Jan 13, 2009
Purmerend
Breffo multi-fuctional Car-dock/Cradle

I saw this product last year and thought this might be interesting?! My apologies for not yet have those for review, didn't need it yet. But when i have a car this i would definitely buy.

The brand is Breffo and the product is Spiderpodium, there website is www.breffo.com

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 1,599
  • Cnet3s.jpg
    Cnet3s.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 1,619
  • spcarnics.jpg
    spcarnics.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 1,720
Last edited:

DJGibbon

Jun 11, 2007
Interesting idea . . . on fleabay for £13 (item 200603319280)

Might pick one up and see how it works as a vent holder . . .

Edit: The reviews are great, so ordered a black one off ebay. There are white ones for just £8 on Amazon if you're not fussed about colour! Will return and let y'all know how well it works . . .

Last edited:

dan13l

Aug 3, 2005
Spiderpodium looks superb, definitely getting one of those. One of the ebay sellers is only around the corner from me, so I've contacted to ask if I can collect. Will report back once I've got hold of one.

AvRS

Dec 21, 2009
robbiekhan that looks awesome, good work. How much would you charge to make more :D had to ask lol

Reactions: Flowlance

robbiekhan

Aug 22, 2009
It's simple case (hah!!) of sticking and cutting a few bits together really so i couldn't charge to do such a thing as you'd be much better off doing it lol, plus it's fun, something you've made and it can be a conversation piece :p

My HTC Desire mount DIY article can be found on LifeHacker, method is exactly the same, just omit anything Desire for Galaxy S II :)

http://lifehacker.com/5593245/build-a-custom-phone-car-mount-for-under-10

robbiekhan

Aug 22, 2009
Last edited:

Scottland

Jun 6, 2006
I'm going to pick up a Griffin Windowseat I think, as I need something compatible with other phones too.

I have got one one the magic mounts (aka Dash Genie), but due to the textured back the SGS2 doesn't stick :)

Incarniac

Aug 16, 2008
London
Nice - thanks. For now I decided to take a punt on the £8 white Spiderpodium for its uniqueness - when it arrives I'll see how well made and durable it is, and if that doesn't work out I think a custom/self-made solution might well be the way to go.

DJGibbon

Jun 11, 2007
Mine arrived this morning, check out a quick review and a couple of pics here

Summary: great! Will probably get another one, in fact :)

Bart1981

Dec 4, 2006
Utrecht

Looks very good!
Let's see if I can make one myself :D

I wonder if this will work if you attatch it to the windshield...
On the left of the SGS2 there are the volume buttons. And the miniholder, is really, ehhhh, mini... So I think the phone will hit the window, or if you place it in the holder in a way the phone does not hit the window the volume buttons will be pressed all the time...

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay so you guys know I've been playing with mobile phone car holders since getting my SII and today the latest one from Exogear Exomount came in the mail.

Initial impressions were "well this is quite plasticy!" I could have sworn it looked better quality in the promotional videos!

sgs-ii_exogear_solo.jpg

The suction cup on the bottom doubles as one of those washable sticky surfaces so I now knew how it was able to stick to wooden doors and things in the advert.

sgs-ii_exogear_stick.jpg

It's also quite soft so I wandered how stable it would be in a car where vibrations could affect your eyes focusing on the phone screen if it's constantly vibrating. More on that later.

It costs £20 and honestly I would have expected it to be a bit heavier and built out of metal at least, this would also help it stay stable because when I tried it out in the car I noticed how prone to vibrations it actually was! I don't think there would be any easy way of using this with a big screened phone without it vibrating and causing a problem trying to read text on the map screen in the first instance.

The Nokia CR-115 which costs less and I felt was a more stable but neither are as stable as my DIY dash mount while the official Samsung mount is the most stable of them all but offers fewer adjustments and cannot be used with a case attached.

Fore £15 more I reckon the official Samsung car dock is a better deal. you also get a charger with it and it enables Car Mode automatically. The only gripe is you have to detach any case on the phone to use it and that it doesn't much (virtually any) vertical angle adjustment if you intend on mounting it on your dash instead of the windscreen.

I have a few photos of the Exomount next to the Nokia CR-115. You can see how much taller but skinnier it is. I reckon the Nokia looks the smartest of them all though, it's not too black and not too grey so blends in with most car interiors and it's also low profile so sits quite discreet.

Exomount:
    sgs-ii_exogear.jpg

Nokia CR-115:
    sgs-ii_exogear_nokiacr115.jpg

Side by side:
    sgs-ii_exogear_vs_nokiacr115.jpg

Official Samsung mount (right):
    sgs-ii_exogear_trio1.jpg

sgs-ii_exogear_trio2.jpg

I think the soft suction cup lets the Exomount down because it's so prone to vibrations. I don't think it's been made for cars with sports suspension and tyres in mind because you will have vibration problems!

IMO it's like this, if you don't want to DIY yourself a top quality mount for under £10 then get the Nokia CR-115, it's almost as sturdy and is built really nicely. If you have the budget though and don't mind the couple of shortfalls of the official Samsung one then get the official Samsung one as once it's on it won't move a single mm.
    Breffo multi-fuctional Car-dock/Cradle

I saw this product last year and thought this might be interesting?! My apologies for not yet have those for review, didn't need it yet. But when i have a car this i would definitely buy.

The brand is Breffo and the product is Spiderpodium, there website is www.breffo.com
    Nokia car mount arrived today, was a fiver on eBay and is a genuine one too from eCell.

First impressions are that it's good build quality but is clearly designed for a smaller phone lol. Fully extended it's a tight fit for the GS2 with a case attached. I took off the rubber pads and fitted smaller ones I had lying around which helped a lot. Other than that though it's a nice and discreet bit of kit. Looks professional too and not too outgoing to attract unwanted attention.

sgs-ii_nokiamount1.jpg

sgs-ii_nokiamount2.jpg
    I've noticed a lot of new GS2 stuff on mobilefun (especially cases, all the Sena/Zenus and Nilkin etc are on there) and I'll be getting this Exogear car holder when it's back in stock:

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/exogear-exomount-universal-case-compatible-car-mount-p30552.htm

Especially like it because it can be used with a case and looking at the pics and video it looks like the construction is of a better quality than my DIY one but I'll be comparing it to the official Samsung car holder that costs a lot more.

Stay tuned!
    so how do u make the custom case, can u give us a 'how to' please, and which parts did you use?

My guide:

http://lifehacker.com/5593245/build-a-custom-phone-car-mount-for-under-10

Replace HTC Desire for Samsung Galaxy S2 and that's it.