[Q] Can ''only'' the digitizer be replaced of a broken screen?

Search This thread

rollerdyke44

Mar 31, 2012
hi

i want to know if only the exterior glass of nexus 5 can be replaced. My phone has a cracked screen but the touch response, colors etc everything works fine so only the outer glass (gorilla glass?) is damaged. I want to know if only that can be replaced as LG ask around 150$ to replace the whole component.

can i order this? is this possible?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/C-Front-Out...-Google-Nexus-5-D820-D821-Tools-/171311153201

Thanks

tkuczyn

Apr 8, 2012
Unfortunately you will have to replace the whole thing. When my screen broke It was functional completely aside from the proximity sensor (due to shattered glass). I tried taking it apart afterwards to no avail.

Reactions: rollerdyke44

Charlus97

Jun 17, 2012
Bordeaux
charley.sedeau.com
Well, you'll maybe be able to replace only the touch screen (without the LCD) but it wwill not be easy has you'll probably need to heat it to be able to remove the glue, etc.

Probably better to buy a lcd + touch screen :/

Reactions: rollerdyke44

Geo2160

Jan 2, 2012
It's not impossible to try and replace only the glass. A friend of mine has done this with his galaxy note, which also has a glued screen+digitizer+glass assembly. However, the replacement glass is pretty bad and reflective and dust has started gathering beneath it. The touchscreen was also affected: some areas don't respond so well anymore.

Last edited:

Lokke9191

Nov 20, 2013
Glenview, IL
I've replaced just the glass on a different phone. It's the biggest pain ever. You'd have to separate the glass via a heat gun, while trying not to break the digitizer. Then remove the glue. Then adhere the new glass to the digitizer with loca adhesive. Loca is hard to deal with, bubbles, and can get into other components ruining them. It must be cured with a uv light. And even if you can pull it off, no way will it be 100%. Strange glares and whatnot. Some try to do it with double sided tape, but that leaves a gap between the glass and digitizer, which causes strange touch responses or it'll be totally unresponsive. And be prone to break the glass easily without loca. Trust me pay the $150 and let lg replace the whole assembly.

Reactions: asfagus

AverageCanadian

Jun 7, 2009
I've replaced just the glass on a different phone. It's the biggest pain ever. You'd have to separate the glass via a heat gun, while trying not to break the digitizer. Then remove the glue. Then adhere the new glass to the digitizer with loca adhesive. Loca is hard to deal with, bubbles, and can get into other components ruining them. It must be cured with a uv light. And even if you can pull it off, no way will it be 100%. Strange glares and whatnot. Some try to do it with double sided tape, but that leaves a gap between the glass and digitizer, which causes strange touch responses or it'll be totally unresponsive. And be prone to break the glass easily without loca. Trust me pay the $150 and let lg replace the whole assembly.

It's too bad it's like this. Probably the most likely thing to break on a phone and they make it so difficult to fix and compared to the price of the phone, expensive to fix. Certain things should just be easily fixable. Oh well, such is life.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    im pretty sure they are fused together and if you replace 1, you replace both.
    Unfortunately you will have to replace the whole thing. When my screen broke It was functional completely aside from the proximity sensor (due to shattered glass). I tried taking it apart afterwards to no avail.
    Well, you'll maybe be able to replace only the touch screen (without the LCD) but it wwill not be easy has you'll probably need to heat it to be able to remove the glue, etc.

Probably better to buy a lcd + touch screen :/