2020 Battery Life

Search This thread

BlitterTwisted

Mar 25, 2011
Manchester
www.oldgamer.co.uk
I've not seen any discussion on battery life since the launch of the Note 10. Would people please share:

1. How is it now that there's been time for Samsung to fix early issues
2. Did Android 10 upgrade help?
3. Does it last through a day of heavy use?
4. Snapdragon or Exynos?

More info: I'm considering buying the Note 10 but the original reviews are mixed. Some say battery life is good but most say it's disappointing. It would be to replace an iPhone XS that is 12 months old, battery health is a shocking 84% and the SoT time is less than 3 hours, so I won't be buying any more overpriced junk from Apple. I'm in the UK so would be getting the Exynos unless I take a risk and grey import a Snapdragon, and live without the warranty.

sublimaze

Oct 13, 2010
More battery life is *always* better, but I really have no complaints about my Note 10 battery. It lasts all day, every day. I average 5.5 hours SOT, but it would get a lot more if I pushed it below 10% charge. However, I rarely let it drop below 30%, or fully charge to 100%. I try to take it off the charger between 60-80% to preserve long-term battery life. So while 5.5 hours SOT may seem low to other Note users, I am averaging 5.5 hours SOT from only a 50-70% charge, which is pretty damn good imo.

I disabled some apps that I'll never use, but otherwise I don't need to gimp it to make it through the day. I noticed a slight improvement in battery life with Android 10. I don't do much gaming, but I do a lot of web browsing, YouTube, and listen to Google Play Music and Sirius XM, and it has no problems lasting a full day.

I have the Snapdragon model. I don't have any experience with the Exynos model, but if you are in the UK, then I would recommend going with Exynos just for the warranty. There may be some YouTube videos comparing the battery and performance differences, you may want to look for those. I remember a couple of years ago the Exynos models were noticeably worse as far as battery, but I think the latest Exynos chips have closed the gap.

If battery life is a top priority, then you should consider the Note 10+ which has 23% larger battery (4300 vs 3500 mAh).

One last thing to consider: The Galaxy S20 models are right around the corner. I am not trying to talk you out of a Note, but if you can live without the Spen, you might want to wait for the Galaxy S20 Plus and Ultra. The Plus model is supposed to have a 4500 mAh battery, and the Ultra is rumored to have a massive 5000 mAh battery.

Edit: Btw, congrats on graduating from iOS. You'll love the customizability of Android, and now that RCS is available, you won't miss iMessage as much :good:

Last edited:
Reactions: BlitterTwisted

junejo46726

Feb 1, 2015
Sukkur
I've not seen any discussion on battery life since the launch of the Note 10. Would people please share:

4. Snapdragon or Exynos?

More info: I'm considering buying the Note 10 but the original reviews are mixed. Some say battery life is good but most say it's disappointing. It would be to replace an iPhone XS that is 12 months old, battery health is a shocking 84% and the SoT time is less than 3 hours, so I won't be buying any more overpriced junk from Apple. I'm in the UK so would be getting the Exynos unless I take a risk and grey import a Snapdragon, and live without the warranty.

I own exynos note10 plus
Battery time is average.
battery timing is inversely proportional to the time you are free

BlitterTwisted

Mar 25, 2011
Manchester
www.oldgamer.co.uk
More battery life is *always* better, but I really have no complaints about my Note 10 battery. It lasts all day, every day. I average 5.5 hours SOT, but it would get a lot more if I pushed it below 10% charge. However, I rarely let it drop below 30%, or fully charge to 100%. I try to take it off the charger between 60-80% to preserve long-term battery life. So while 5.5 hours SOT may seem low to other Note users, I am averaging 5.5 hours SOT from only a 50-70% charge, which is pretty damn good imo.

Edit: Btw, congrats on graduating from iOS. You'll love the customizability of Android, and now that RCS is available, you won't miss iMessage as much :good:

Thanks for taking the time to reply - appreciate it. Sounds like our usage patterns are similar. I don’t really game but I use web and media on public transport for a couple of hours a day, in poor signal areas so every phone I’ve had struggles.

Am trying to keep phone size down, the Note 10 Plus is definitely too big! I like the fact that with the standard Note 10 it’s almost the same size as my current iPhone XS, just 5mm taller.

Re graduating (haha) I’ve had android before. Before this iPhone I had the OnePlus 5T and really liked it until I changed cars and it completely refused to talk to the audio system.

I found a YouTube video comparing the Qualcomm and Exynos Note 10’s and in his test he got 7 hrs from the Exynos and 8hrs from the Snapdragon. Wow, bit of a difference.

Will see what the S20 (standard size) is like, and then decide whether to risk an imported Note 10 [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abdou1998

Jan 25, 2014

4. Snapdragon or Exynos?

So i got my Exynos note10 (not a new one, a used one but in a good shape) a week ago running android Q, and the battery drain was a little bit higher than average (compared to what people claiming in the battery section). So i decided to do a fresh reset by flashing a firmware using odin, after that i did some optimizations, disabling features that i dont really need, debloating some apps and waiting for the phone to learn my battery usage pattern (it took me around 4-5 days).So now I can get 7 to 8 hours of SOT using Chrome as my web browser, social media apps, and youtube. So yeah i think the 3500 mah battery is doing a pretty good job.

burimselmani

Sep 29, 2015
Gjilan
So i got my Exynos note10 (not a new one, a used one but in a good shape) a week ago running android Q, and the battery drain was a little bit higher than average (compared to what people claiming in the battery section). So i decided to do a fresh reset by flashing a firmware using odin, after that i did some optimizations, disabling features that i dont really need, debloating some apps and waiting for the phone to learn my battery usage pattern (it took me around 4-5 days).So now I can get 7 to 8 hours of SOT using Chrome as my web browser, social media apps, and youtube. So yeah i think the 3500 mah battery is doing a pretty good job.

Can you tell us more what did you disable, what did you uninstall/disabled and more...

abdou1998

Jan 25, 2014
Can you tell us more what did you disable, what did you uninstall/disabled and more...

So the first thing i did was to flash a stock firmware and root it using magisk. Then i charged my phone until it get 100%, i use it until it dies and cannot get booted again (when the phone dies keep rebooting it until it cannot get rebooted again). I did the charging and discharging thing twice. I think this step is like calibrating your battery, correct me if I am wrong.
Then thanks to this post : https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-note-10/how-to/galaxy-note-10-note-10-plus-debloat-t3964225 i debloated Bixby, samsung pass / pay , samsung sticker center... Do this step at your own risk because you can brick your phone if you didnt choose correctly what to debloat.
Then i enabled Adaptive power saving, put unused apps to sleep, Optimise Battery usage and i restricted background activity and i use dark mode all the time.
I disabled Air action and all features related to S pen ( i only use s pen for writing).
You may not notice a big difference in the battery life until your phone learns usage pettern ("Learning pattern" usage becomes "An estimated time" in device care battery's section)
If you are on a rooted phone then you can use greenify to hibernate other apps.
Additional information, my phone battery drains from like 100% to 80% much quicker and then it start to go slower and slower because each battery behaves in a different way.

BlitterTwisted

Mar 25, 2011
Manchester
www.oldgamer.co.uk
Took another look at the Note 10 today and think it's an absolutely stunning looking device. Best looking phone around for me. I noted in the Samsung store that they don't offer any sort of satisfaction guarantee, which is disappointing. Would have been tempted to take one if I had some insurance on the battery life not working out.

But the S20 has now launched, and it's impressive from a specs point of view. Time to see how the S20 reviews play out.

sublimaze

Oct 13, 2010
Took another look at the Note 10 today and think it's an absolutely stunning looking device. Best looking phone around for me. I noted in the Samsung store that they don't offer any sort of satisfaction guarantee, which is disappointing. Would have been tempted to take one if I had some insurance on the battery life not working out.

But the S20 has now launched, and it's impressive from a specs point of view. Time to see how the S20 reviews play out.
Yes, the S20 phones are phenomenal, especially the S20 Ultra. Which means the Note 11/20 will be an absolute beast :cool:

mchtt

Jun 12, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S22
So the first thing i did was to flash a stock firmware and root it using magisk. Then i charged my phone until it get 100%, i use it until it dies and cannot get booted again (when the phone dies keep rebooting it until it cannot get rebooted again). I did the charging and discharging thing twice. I think this step is like calibrating your battery, correct me if I am wrong.
Then thanks to this post : https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-note-10/how-to/galaxy-note-10-note-10-plus-debloat-t3964225 i debloated Bixby, samsung pass / pay , samsung sticker center... Do this step at your own risk because you can brick your phone if you didnt choose correctly what to debloat.
Then i enabled Adaptive power saving, put unused apps to sleep, Optimise Battery usage and i restricted background activity and i use dark mode all the time.
I disabled Air action and all features related to S pen ( i only use s pen for writing).
You may not notice a big difference in the battery life until your phone learns usage pettern ("Learning pattern" usage becomes "An estimated time" in device care battery's section)
Additional information, my phone battery drains from like 100% to 80% much quicker and then it start to go slower and slower because each battery behaves in a different way.

You are wrong this is really old battery habits. For several years and actual battery tech it's not recommended to fully discharge , the best way to improve battery life is to stay over 20% and avoid fast charging. That is also not how phone calibrates batteries.

Source: https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/

Reactions: daddymikey1975

alex_mx

Jan 30, 2012
Indeed the difference is not so abysmal as before

Correction, the video of the Snapdragon getting another hour of screen time is the S10, not the Note 10, which means the Exynos is the 8nm 9820 rather than the 9825 in the Note.

Video for reference https://youtu.be/shrYnaxVenE

Actually, there is a comparison for Note 10+ Exynos vs Snapdragon and indeed, the difference in battery is now minimal, of course the weak point for the Exynos is still the Mali GPU. So it looks like for power comsuption is now more even between Exynos 9825 and Snapdragon 855 (which is kind of obvious since both are 7nm)

Video of the comparison: https://youtu.be/Ni0sCLDoPPs

BlitterTwisted

Mar 25, 2011
Manchester
www.oldgamer.co.uk
Actually, there is a comparison for Note 10+ Exynos vs Snapdragon and indeed, the difference in battery is now minimal, of course the weak point for the Exynos is still the Mali GPU. So it looks like for power comsuption is now more even between Exynos 9825 and Snapdragon 855 (which is kind of obvious since both are 7nm)

Interesting thanks.

One of the things I’ve been bitten with on iPhones is the effect on battery life of the inferior Intel modems they’ve been using for the last few years. I went from an iPhone SE to an Xs and the difference in signal strength was definitely noticeable, and that will affect power consumption too.

I’m not saying this is the same with the Exynos modem but do tend to think that at this point, Qualcomm modems are the better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I disabled some apps that I'll never use, but otherwise I don't need to gimp it to make it through the day. I noticed a slight improvement in battery life with Android 10. I don't do much gaming, but I do a lot of web browsing, YouTube, and listen to Google Play Music and Sirius XM, and it has no problems lasting a full day.

I have the Snapdragon model. I don't have any experience with the Exynos model, but if you are in the UK, then I would recommend going with Exynos just for the warranty. There may be some YouTube videos comparing the battery and performance differences, you may want to look for those. I remember a couple of years ago the Exynos models were noticeably worse as far as battery, but I think the latest Exynos chips have closed the gap.

If battery life is a top priority, then you should consider the Note 10+ which has 23% larger battery (4300 vs 3500 mAh).

One last thing to consider: The Galaxy S20 models are right around the corner. I am not trying to talk you out of a Note, but if you can live without the Spen, you might want to wait for the Galaxy S20 Plus and Ultra. The Plus model is supposed to have a 4500 mAh battery, and the Ultra is rumored to have a massive 5000 mAh battery.

You are wrong this is really old battery habits. For several years and actual battery tech it's not recommended to fully discharge , the best way to improve battery life is to stay over 20% and avoid fast charging. That is also not how phone calibrates batteries.

Source: https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/
    Battery life on the Snapdragon Note 10+ has been great. It stayed consistent with the Android 10 update. I had the Note 8 before this phone, and I'd have to say the 10+ is better.
    Indeed the difference is not so abysmal as before

Correction, the video of the Snapdragon getting another hour of screen time is the S10, not the Note 10, which means the Exynos is the 8nm 9820 rather than the 9825 in the Note.

Video for reference https://youtu.be/shrYnaxVenE