[GUIDE] Rooting the UMIDIGI F2 | Magisk | TWRP

Search This thread

_cab13_

May 31, 2015
Miramas, France
defvs.dev
This is an attempt at rooting the UMIDIGI F2. Caution be advised, we are not responsible for your mistakes; but rest assured, most of them can be corrected.
Rooting the F2

Disclaimers
This is important, please read thoughtfully.
whatever you do, never ever use SP Flash Tool in "Format All+Download" mode. This will wipe your IMEIs and some other bad stuff will happen like loss of fingerprint sensor. This cannot be reversed by us.
Once bootloader is unlocked, warranty is considered void. By following this guide, you consent to that happening. Safety net CTS will not pass anymore unless you flash Magisk which hides the unlocked bootloader.
Never relock your bootloader while running anything unofficial as the phone will not boot until you unlock again.

And, once again, a lot of bad things can happen like bootloops, if that happens to you don't freak out and reflash stock, redoing the rooting process from the start. It might be time consuming, but that's your safest bet!
More important even, have fun rooting, it's before all a hobby!

Various Resources
>>> Latest official stock ROM <<<
Minimal ADB and Fastboot by shimp208
> Magisk (and Manager) by topjohnwu <
Mediatek SP Flash Tool
Latest unofficial TWRP

Unlocking Bootloader

ATTENTION!! After unlocking the bootloader, all user data in the phone's memory will be lost, so do not forget to throw all the most important things on your computer or flash drive!
1) Activate "Developer options" through Settings > About Phone > Tap Build Number multiple times.
2) Open "Developer options" in Settings > System > Tap Advanced.
Enable "OEM Unlocking" and enter your password to confirm. Enable "USB Debugging" as well.
3) On Windows, download and install Minimal ADB and Fastboot by shimp208
On Linux, use your packet manager to install android-tools-adb and android-tools-fastboot
4) Open command prompt (Win + R > type cmd) or a terminal on linux.

5) Plug your phone, accept the prompt about adb and the PC signature.
6) Type adb reboot bootloader to reboot in fastboot mode.
THESE NEXT TWO STEPS WILL COMPLETELY WIPE YOUR DATA
7) Unlock the bootloader using fastboot flashing unlock and pressing Vol+
8) Unlock the secure partitions using fastboot flashing unlock_critical and pressing Vol+
9) Restart using fastboot reboot
You will now always see "Orange State" at boot; this is completely fine and will only delay your boot by 5 seconds.

Rooting using Magisk patched boot.img
This is "experimental" and is probably overkill, but everyone managed to install Magisk with it.
1) Clean install UMIDIGI_F2_V1.0_20200106.V3.08 with SPFT by selecting the scatter file, pressing download an rebooting the phone (Make sure it is in "Download Mode" and not "Format + Download")
2) Patch boot.img by copying it to your device, using Magisk Manager to patch it, and get back the magisk_patched.img in the Download folder back to your PC.
3) Start ADB while booted; run adb reboot bootloader. Alternative is to reboot to recovery and selecting "reboot to bootloader"
4) unlock if not already done with fastboot flashing unlock followed by fastboot flashing unlock_critical
You can try without --disable-verity --disable-verification if those commands are not recognized. I have not tested without them.
6) fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash boot magisk_patched.img
7) fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash recovery recovery.img (recovery.img from stock)
8) fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img (vbmeta.img from stock)
9) fastboot reboot
When rebooting, install Magisk Manager. It will prompt to finalize the installation, you can do so.
Congratulations ! You are now a proud Magisk user ! All credits goes to @topjohnwu he's the real MVP here.

Returning to stock / Resolving issues
The best way to resolve any issue is to return to stock. Here is the method.
1) Download latest stock ROM ("SPFT .zip") on UMIDIGI's forums
2) Download SP Flash Tool if you don't have it yet (Windows only)
3) Extract stock ROM in SP Flash Tool directory
4) Open SP Flash Tool, Download Tab, "Choose" in Scatter-loading file, select the scatter file in the stock ROM directory.
5) If you want to keep your data, untick "userdata" partition
6) Press Download and connect your device via USB. Reboot the phone or turn it off and everything will be flashed.
7) If you want a full stock experience, I recommend relocking the bootloader so that SafetyNet will pass. Get into fastboot mode by using adb reboot bootloader and use fastboot flashing lock_critical followed by fastboot flashing lock. This will wipe your data once more.
You should be good to go.

TWRP
Device Tree
>> Download my latest build here <<
Flash in Bootloader mode with fastboot flash recovery twrp_f2.img
Android 10 and TWRP aren't compatible yet. /system and /vendor cannot be mounted. /data partition is encrypted. You can still flash .img and some zips that alter different partitions. Nothing I can do about it.

Misc
Different boot modes
Recovery / TWRP :
  • Turn off the phone (or reboot)
  • Press Vol+ and Power until some choice comes up to you
  • Navigate using Vol+, select Recovery Mode using Vol-
Bootloader mode :
  • Boot into TWRP, select Reboot, Bootloader
  • Or use adb reboot bootloader either in recovery or system
  • Or use fastboot reboot-bootloader in fastboot mode
Magisk and EdXposed
Fixing Magisk bootloop
Two techniques that could work after installing a module that broke everything :

Hook your device up to a computer (or other device you can run adb from) and execute the following command:
adb wait-for-device shell magisk --remove-modules

After that you can start your device and as soon as adb is available the command will activate, the modules will be removed and the device will reboot.
-----
You could also try :
If you can't boot your device, this can be done by placing a file in /cache (/data/cache on A/B devices) named ".disable_magisk" (without quotation marks and with the leading dot). This will enable Core Only Mode and you can boot up your device, uninstall the troublesome module and then go into the Manager settings, disable Core Only Mode and reboot. In TWRP you can create the file through the TWRP terminal with the touch command, see below for an example.

Installing EdXposed
Please use the latest YAHFA or Sandhook canary build. I have a report of Xposed-SandHook-v0.4.6.1 (4504)-tdgptedc-release working.

Last edited:

noskojv

Apr 19, 2012
Russia
This is an attempt at rooting the UMIDIGI F2. For now, unsuccessful. Any help would be appreciated!
ATTENTION!! After unlocking the bootloader, all user data in the phone's memory will be lost, so do not forget to throw all the most important things on your computer or flash drive!
1) Activate the "for developers" item in the settings (7 times click on the "build number" in the "about phone" settings at the bottom)
2) Go to "Settings"(the main screen of the application) go to "for developers" and move the switches to the enabled position near the items "USB Debugging" and " Unlocking the bootloader"
3) Then download platform tools from here https://developer.andr...eleases/platform-tools
4) Unpack the archive from platform tools to the root of the C: drive(so that the platform-tools folder is in the root of the C drive: )
5) if the process does not go install VCOM driver
6) Switch your smartphone to fastboot mode:
6.1) connect the included phone to the computer
6.2) Open the command prompt
6.2.1) Click Win+R
6.2.2) in the window that appears, write "cmd" and click " OK"
6.3) in the command line when the phone is turned on, write(without quotes)
6.3.1) " cd " (note that there is a space after "cd") and drag the "platform-tools" folder with the cursor to the command line window, press Enter
6.3.2) the Following command "adb reboot bootloader"
6.3.3) Your phone should reboot into Fastboot mode or a window should appear on the phone asking for debugging permission for this computer - put a check mark "Always allow debugging from this computer" and click "OK", repeat point 6.3.2
7) After that, on the computer in the same command line, enter " fastboot flashing unlock"
8) when the smartphone screen will prompt confirm by pressing vol+
9) after you see Finished, restart your device
Now the logo will be labeled Orange state when loading

Reactions: _cab13_

zironia

Mar 20, 2011
I've rooted my F2. I used magisk to patch the boot.img then flashed the boot.img through fastboot on Linux. It didn't work with magisk 20.1. Had to used the newest magisk manager. I am interested in your twrp if you have one to try. Would you upload it so I may try to flash it.

Attachments

• _20200107_092357.png
    _20200107_092357.png
    192 KB · Views: 2,753
  • LShots_20200107_093442.png
    LShots_20200107_093442.png
    182.2 KB · Views: 2,741
Last edited:
Reactions: _cab13_

_cab13_

May 31, 2015
Miramas, France
defvs.dev
I would love to have that boot image as well! What magisk version did you use then ? I can start crafting a guide.

EDIT: what boxes did you tick in Magisk Manager ?

EDIT 2: did you pad the boot image with DD ? Or maybe you wiped the boot partition beforehand to make it all zeroes ? It seems to be the missing thing and a known bug in Magisk.

Last edited:

zironia

Mar 20, 2011
Magisk 20.2 was what I used. Then flashed the boot through fastboot using Debian Linux.

Rooted f2 boot IMG

Attachments

• f2rootedboot.zip
    10.4 MB · Views: 1,558
Last edited:

ajsmsg78

Dec 6, 2008
Selden, NY
Huawei MediaPad X2
Xiaomi Poco F3
I've tried everything to get it rooted but any magisk patched boot image I flash just sends it into a bootloop including the one posted in this thread. It doesn't matter whether I flash it in Linux or Windows, in fastboot or in SP Flash Tool. What stock build are you guys on, the European or the Global? It seems that the boot.img is the same in both.

Last edited:

_cab13_

May 31, 2015
Miramas, France
defvs.dev
Apparently the issue is that the bootloader really doesn't like the fact that the image is not the full size of the partition. I'll try to dd it to the "max" size so it completely replaces the boot image and not only parts of it.

zironia

Mar 20, 2011
When I unlocked the bootloader I also unlocked critical areas
fastboot flashing unlock_critical
Warning---- this will wipe your phone again just like the bootloader unlock.

Reactions: ubuntuh and _cab13_

_cab13_

May 31, 2015
Miramas, France
defvs.dev
I've tried everything as well. Still bootloop. Your patched image doesn't work for me. I've unlocked critical as well as regular unlock.

1. Did you tick any box in Magisk Manager ?
2. Did you relock afterwards ?
3. What firmware version ?

Last edited:

zironia

Mar 20, 2011
I downloaded the new update today and I haven't been able to root the boot.IMG so far. I will keep trying and note anything that is successful.

_cab13_

May 31, 2015
Miramas, France
defvs.dev
GOOD NEWS ! I managed to make it work, I don't really know how, but I now have Magisk 20.2 installed. Here is what I did.
1) Clean install UMIDIGI_F2_V1.0_20200106.V3.08 with SPFT
2) Download the f2rootedboot file from zironia
3) Start ADB while booted; run adb reboot bootloader
4) unlock if not already done with fastboot flashing unlock followed by fastboot flashing unlock_critical
5) I flashed a bunch of partitions with dm-verity disabled.
6) fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash boot f2rootedboot.img
7) fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash recovery recovery.img
8) fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
9) fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash super super.img
10) fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash tee1 tee.img
11) fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash tee2 tee.img
12) fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash cache cache.img
13)/!\ WILL RESET DATA : fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash userdata userdata.img
13) fastboot reboot

I'm really not sure if you really need all that hassle, but that made it work for me. PLEASE USE FASTBOOT FROM BOOTLOADER (adb reboot bootloader, or choose "Reboot in Bootloader" in recovery / fastbootd)

Last edited:

zironia

Mar 20, 2011
GOOD NEWS ! I managed to make it work, I don't really know how, but I now have Magisk 20.2 installed. Here is what I did.
13)/!\ WILL RESET DATA : fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash userdata userdata.img
13) fastboot reboot

I'm really not sure if you really need all that hassle, but that made it work for me. PLEASE USE FASTBOOT FROM BOOTLOADER (adb reboot bootloader, or choose "Reboot in Bootloader" in recovery / fastbootd)

This worked for me to reroot after the update today. Not sure what part of it is necessary for the boot image to work right though. I left off the userdata.img so I could keep my files in place.

ajsmsg78

Dec 6, 2008
Selden, NY
Huawei MediaPad X2
Xiaomi Poco F3
13) fastboot reboot

Confirmed working, thanks. I ended up patching the new boot.img myself and that also worked. I own a Note 10 + and OnePlus 7 Pro and honestly I think the Umidigi is an awesome deal, everything is pretty good on the device. It's something I wanted to try out and I'm actually impressed.

Last edited:

ubuntuh

Mar 23, 2013
Did one of you already tried some treble roms on the f2? lineagOS, Havoc 3.0 or aosp?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is an attempt at rooting the UMIDIGI F2. Caution be advised, we are not responsible for your mistakes; but rest assured, most of them can be corrected.
    Rooting the F2

Disclaimers
    This is important, please read thoughtfully.
    whatever you do, never ever use SP Flash Tool in "Format All+Download" mode. This will wipe your IMEIs and some other bad stuff will happen like loss of fingerprint sensor. This cannot be reversed by us.
    Once bootloader is unlocked, warranty is considered void. By following this guide, you consent to that happening. Safety net CTS will not pass anymore unless you flash Magisk which hides the unlocked bootloader.
    Never relock your bootloader while running anything unofficial as the phone will not boot until you unlock again.

And, once again, a lot of bad things can happen like bootloops, if that happens to you don't freak out and reflash stock, redoing the rooting process from the start. It might be time consuming, but that's your safest bet!
    More important even, have fun rooting, it's before all a hobby!

Various Resources
    >>> Latest official stock ROM <<<
    Minimal ADB and Fastboot by shimp208
    > Magisk (and Manager) by topjohnwu <
    Mediatek SP Flash Tool
    Latest unofficial TWRP

Unlocking Bootloader

1) Activate "Developer options" through Settings > About Phone > Tap Build Number multiple times.
    2) Open "Developer options" in Settings > System > Tap Advanced.
    Enable "OEM Unlocking" and enter your password to confirm. Enable "USB Debugging" as well.
    3) On Windows, download and install Minimal ADB and Fastboot by shimp208
    On Linux, use your packet manager to install android-tools-adb and android-tools-fastboot
    4) Open command prompt (Win + R > type cmd) or a terminal on linux.

5) Plug your phone, accept the prompt about adb and the PC signature.
    6) Type adb reboot bootloader to reboot in fastboot mode.
    THESE NEXT TWO STEPS WILL COMPLETELY WIPE YOUR DATA
    7) Unlock the bootloader using fastboot flashing unlock and pressing Vol+
    8) Unlock the secure partitions using fastboot flashing unlock_critical and pressing Vol+
    9) Restart using fastboot reboot
    You will now always see "Orange State" at boot; this is completely fine and will only delay your boot by 5 seconds.

Rooting using Magisk patched boot.img
    This is "experimental" and is probably overkill, but everyone managed to install Magisk with it.
    1) Clean install UMIDIGI_F2_V1.0_20200106.V3.08 with SPFT by selecting the scatter file, pressing download an rebooting the phone (Make sure it is in "Download Mode" and not "Format + Download")
    2) Patch boot.img by copying it to your device, using Magisk Manager to patch it, and get back the magisk_patched.img in the Download folder back to your PC.
    3) Start ADB while booted; run adb reboot bootloader. Alternative is to reboot to recovery and selecting "reboot to bootloader"
    You can try without --disable-verity --disable-verification if those commands are not recognized. I have not tested without them.
    6) fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash boot magisk_patched.img
    7) fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash recovery recovery.img (recovery.img from stock)
    8) fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img (vbmeta.img from stock)
    9) fastboot reboot
    When rebooting, install Magisk Manager. It will prompt to finalize the installation, you can do so.
    Congratulations ! You are now a proud Magisk user ! All credits goes to @topjohnwu he's the real MVP here.

Returning to stock / Resolving issues
    The best way to resolve any issue is to return to stock. Here is the method.
    1) Download latest stock ROM ("SPFT .zip") on UMIDIGI's forums
    2) Download SP Flash Tool if you don't have it yet (Windows only)
    3) Extract stock ROM in SP Flash Tool directory
    4) Open SP Flash Tool, Download Tab, "Choose" in Scatter-loading file, select the scatter file in the stock ROM directory.
    5) If you want to keep your data, untick "userdata" partition
    6) Press Download and connect your device via USB. Reboot the phone or turn it off and everything will be flashed.
    7) If you want a full stock experience, I recommend relocking the bootloader so that SafetyNet will pass. Get into fastboot mode by using adb reboot bootloader and use fastboot flashing lock_critical followed by fastboot flashing lock. This will wipe your data once more.
    You should be good to go.

TWRP
    Device Tree
    >> Download my latest build here <<
    Flash in Bootloader mode with fastboot flash recovery twrp_f2.img
    Android 10 and TWRP aren't compatible yet. /system and /vendor cannot be mounted. /data partition is encrypted. You can still flash .img and some zips that alter different partitions. Nothing I can do about it.

Misc
    Different boot modes
    Recovery / TWRP :
    • Turn off the phone (or reboot)
    • Press Vol+ and Power until some choice comes up to you
    • Navigate using Vol+, select Recovery Mode using Vol-
    Bootloader mode :
    • Boot into TWRP, select Reboot, Bootloader
    • Or use adb reboot bootloader either in recovery or system
    • Or use fastboot reboot-bootloader in fastboot mode
    Magisk and EdXposed
    Fixing Magisk bootloop
    Two techniques that could work after installing a module that broke everything :

Hook your device up to a computer (or other device you can run adb from) and execute the following command:
    adb wait-for-device shell magisk --remove-modules

After that you can start your device and as soon as adb is available the command will activate, the modules will be removed and the device will reboot.
    -----
    You could also try :
    If you can't boot your device, this can be done by placing a file in /cache (/data/cache on A/B devices) named ".disable_magisk" (without quotation marks and with the leading dot). This will enable Core Only Mode and you can boot up your device, uninstall the troublesome module and then go into the Manager settings, disable Core Only Mode and reboot. In TWRP you can create the file through the TWRP terminal with the touch command, see below for an example.

Installing EdXposed
    Please use the latest YAHFA or Sandhook canary build. I have a report of Xposed-SandHook-v0.4.6.1 (4504)-tdgptedc-release working.
    I have read that orange Fox recovery works better with Android 10 than twrp. If anyone is capable of settng it up maybe we can use it instead.

https://gitlab.com/OrangeFox
    Here's the updated Rooted Boot using Magisk 20.3. The boot is the latest one from the stock v3.09 firmware. Using the older rooted boot with the newer v3.09 causes no wifi so use this updated rooted boot if you want to root the latest firmware.

https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=4349826312261734425
    @zironia I'll see what I can do for sure ! Probably super easy to setup since I've got the device tree already.

Edit : Looks promising. I'll download the manifest and build it tomorrow.
    I've tried everything as well. Still bootloop. Your patched image doesn't work for me. I've unlocked critical as well as regular unlock.

1. Did you tick any box in Magisk Manager ?
    2. Did you relock afterwards ?
    3. What firmware version ?