Charge vs. Thunderbolt

Search This thread

DirgeExtinction

Sep 24, 2010
Hm,I've read of other phones(different manufacturers) having similar issues.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using xda premium

>DARKMAN<

Dec 31, 2010
Chisago City, MN
It's been an issue since the samsung moment. But mine is very solid, it will drop rarely and toggling data fixes it.

~Sent from my Droid SuperCharge~

xdadevnube

Jun 28, 2011
The Nexus uses the same 4G baseband and slighty modified 3G baseband as the Charge. I suggest researching the Nexus before purchasing one to see if the data issues have been fixed.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using XDA App

chrisrach3

Jan 1, 2012
I live in a solid 4G area but still the data droppage on mine is horrendous, problem is that its not reproducible in store because of their signal boosters so no go on a replacement (I don't like dealing with the reps on the phone either, most don't know what they're doing and I don't wanna call 50 times just to get a good one lol)

I'm saving up for a Nexus or I might wait for the next HTC superphone, either way I like my Charge a lot but the data issue on mine is a deal breaker otherwise I'd stick with it till my upgrade

I just got a Rezound replacement for the Charge and I LOVE IT! This was after one phone call to Verizon. Fantastic phone. No data drops and my 4G speeds are around 25-32 megs. Very satisfied.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using XDA App

khalilcr

Mar 21, 2012
I lose 3G data for days and I am on my 3rd phone. The last replacement lasted 2 hours before the data dropped for 10 hours.

Yesterday dwitherel posted the fp1 modem patch. Look in the fp1 update thread. It fixed my sound issues, and my data never dropped again...

Sent from my SCH-I510 using XDA

TheMuffStuff

Dec 30, 2010
South Florida
twitter.com
Ive had both phones, and this thunderbolt is great.. Sense 2.1 isnt really slow.. phones fast.. but sense does lag sometimes. The build quality is better, kickstand is great, but the battery life is absolute doodoo. And im sorry but S-LCD and Samoled seem the same to me. And im 18 with perfect eyes. Theres no difference, oh and the camera on the bolt is better.

JihadSquad

Oct 5, 2011
Madison, WI
xdaforums.com
Ive had both phones, and this thunderbolt is great.. Sense 2.1 isnt really slow.. phones fast.. but sense does lag sometimes. The build quality is better, kickstand is great, but the battery life is absolute doodoo. And im sorry but S-LCD and Samoled seem the same to me. And im 18 with perfect eyes. Theres no difference, oh and the camera on the bolt is better.

So the two main hardware differences between the two phones are battery life and ram then, right? And software wise sense vs tw.

Sent from my handheld Linux computer using electromagnetic radiation.

imnuts

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2007
West Chester
www.imnuts.org
I haven't heard one good report of the Thunderbolt screen in direct sunlight. Put a Charge and Thunderbolt next to each other in direct sun, and see which screen is better ;)

JihadSquad

Oct 5, 2011
Madison, WI
xdaforums.com
I haven't heard one good report of the Thunderbolt screen in direct sunlight. Put a Charge and Thunderbolt next to each other in direct sun, and see which screen is better ;)

You forgot that some people don't go outside. Also, I can agree with this. I have no problems looking at my phone at noon outside and my friends with t-mobile HTCs (mytouch 3g slide, 4g, 4g slide) complain about it.

Also they all have horrendous battery life in comparison.

bobsbbq

Jun 8, 2008
Cleveland, TX
My work phone was a Thunderbolt, and after a mishap I had to do a insurance replacement. The Thunderbolt was no longer in stock so I got the Charge. While I've only had it a couple of days I can say it is a lot better than my Thunderbolt.

For me the battery life is the most important and is much better than the TB. Data seems to be ok but I live on the fringe of 4G area and it switches back and fourth from 3G to 4G but I will test it out better over time.

By the way I also have a Nexus running 4.04 and it has the same data drop problems. The WiFi speeds on the Nexus suck and I have replaced it twice but still have the same problems. It just won't handle fast WiFi download speeds, where my other devices in the house pull 30 Mbps the Nexus struggles to get 12 Mbps.

Reactions: Farabomb
Aug 23, 2010
HTC 10
I had a chance to have a Thunderbolt and what turned me off from it is the battery life. I hear that phones dies (from fully charged) within a few hours. One thing I love about the Charge is that it has good battery life. It does lock up and lag. But by flashing a different rom. (I like Tweaked v2.0 by dwitherell) you can have a very smooth experience with owning the Droid Charge. Just my two cent.;)

bolt_of_thunder

Mar 18, 2011
I had a chance to have a Thunderbolt and what turned me off from it is the battery life. I hear that phones dies (from fully charged) within a few hours. One thing I love about the Charge is that it has good battery life. It does lock up and lag. But by flashing a different rom. (I like Tweaked v2.0 by dwitherell) you can have a very smooth experience with owning the Droid Charge. Just my two cent.;)

I've got a tbolt right now but I'd like to get something else. I got my wife a bionic and I love how fast it is and how much better the screen is, even though I can totally notice the screen door effect. A nice used one goes for about $200 whereas the charge looks to be about $50 less on average.

I do love flashing new roms and I notice there aren't as many options for the charge as there are for the bolt. Should that concern me? Oh and are the data drops\signal strength issues solved?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

JihadSquad

Oct 5, 2011
Madison, WI
xdaforums.com
I've got a tbolt right now but I'd like to get something else. I got my wife a bionic and I love how fast it is and how much better the screen is, even though I can totally notice the screen door effect. A nice used one goes for about $200 whereas the charge looks to be about $50 less on average.

I do love flashing new roms and I notice there aren't as many options for the charge as there are for the bolt. Should that concern me? Oh and are the data drops\signal strength issues solved?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Lol if you think the bionic screen is good then wait till you look at a charge. Most of us think that the bionic has one of the worst smartphone screens around. Also, in the 2 last system updates the data drops were fixed. The signal strength is also improved, but not as good as what I was seeing on my previous phone. We have two solid ROMs and a very smooth and stable ICS that is just missing the camera and data (voice, text, wifi work fine).

Finally, if you do get the Charge used, watch out for the screeching audio. There is a specific hardware revision of the Charge that has this screeching sound when you are in a call.

bolt_of_thunder

Mar 18, 2011
Lol if you think the bionic screen is good then wait till you look at a charge. Most of us think that the bionic has one of the worst smartphone screens around. Also, in the 2 last system updates the data drops were fixed. The signal strength is also improved, but not as good as what I was seeing on my previous phone. We have two solid ROMs and a very smooth and stable ICS that is just missing the camera and data (voice, text, wifi work fine).

Finally, if you do get the Charge used, watch out for the screeching audio. There is a specific hardware revision of the Charge that has this screeching sound when you are in a call.

The wife's previous phone was a fascinate so I'm familiar with how beautiful the amoled screens are. I like how bright the bionic screen is in daylight and overhead office type lighting compare to the bolt's. Dual core and bigger stock battery is nice too on the bionic. I do tend to do a lot of multitasking and my bolt just can't keep up most times even on aosp roms.

Is there a dedicated thread about which hardware version is good and bad? I'll have to do more research about the charge. Thanks

Sent from my ikream bolt

JihadSquad

Oct 5, 2011
Madison, WI
xdaforums.com
The wife's previous phone was a fascinate so I'm familiar with how beautiful the amoled screens are. I like how bright the bionic screen is in daylight and overhead office type lighting compare to the bolt's. Dual core and bigger stock battery is nice too on the bionic. I do tend to do a lot of multitasking and my bolt just can't keep up most times even on aosp roms.

Is there a dedicated thread about which hardware version is good and bad? I'll have to do more research about the charge. Thanks

Sent from my ikream bolt

This screen blows even the galaxy s screens out of the water in terms of outdoor visibility. Also the low amount of RAM is not too good for multitasking but it works good enough for me.

DirgeExtinction

Sep 24, 2010

Eh, my Charge still has data drop outs every now and then. Didn't have that with neither the Rezound nor the Nexus.

piizzadude

Feb 26, 2011
Harrisburg
yes and no.

With JUST root, there are things you cannot do without root to improve both the GPS and the responsiveness. IS the improvement all that dramatic? Your Mileage May Vary never applied more.

With root AND a ROM (either eclipse or my daily driver, tweak 2.0) I am going to say yes without a doubt, it may be less noticeable with the GPS but as far as the response times, it will increase a million times over.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Tweakstock? V6? Voodoo? I assume all of that requires rooting, right? Sorry. I'm too chicken to root. :)

Sent from my SCH-I510 using XDA App

Son, do you realize where you are?

the only thing I'm jealous of the Thunderbolt for is the notification LED... I like everything else on the Charge (except the damn data drop which still happens occasionally for me :rolleyes: ), and am content with the amount of dev work we have though admittedly little
    My work phone was a Thunderbolt, and after a mishap I had to do a insurance replacement. The Thunderbolt was no longer in stock so I got the Charge. While I've only had it a couple of days I can say it is a lot better than my Thunderbolt.

For me the battery life is the most important and is much better than the TB. Data seems to be ok but I live on the fringe of 4G area and it switches back and fourth from 3G to 4G but I will test it out better over time.

By the way I also have a Nexus running 4.04 and it has the same data drop problems. The WiFi speeds on the Nexus suck and I have replaced it twice but still have the same problems. It just won't handle fast WiFi download speeds, where my other devices in the house pull 30 Mbps the Nexus struggles to get 12 Mbps.