[GUIDE][HOW-TO] Install Any i537 AT&T Firmware

Search This thread
For instructions on how to root any i537 AT&T firmware, please read through the [GUIDE][HOW-TO] Root Any i537 AT&T Firmware thread.

For download links for i537 AT&T firmware as well as links to other information relevant to specific firmware, please read through the i537 AT&T Firmware Thread.

For any update process, make sure to back up anything you don’t want to lose to an external SD card or source. Many of the updates will completely wipe the phone taking your back to the way the phone was when it came out of the box. Once everything has been backed up, remove the SD card and SIM card from your phone and follow the steps below.

IMPORTANT: If your phone has 4.3 or 4.4.2 firmware on it, then there is no way to downgrade to 4.2.2 firmware. If your phone has 4.4.2 firmware on it, it is still possible to downgrade to 4.3, but many users have reported bugs after downgrading.

Please select the firmware your phone is currently on to be directed to instructions for updating your specific firmware:

Download Mode
Download Mode is also known as Odin Mode on the XDA Wiki. The Galaxy S4 Active features the Android Download Mode which is a sub-system of your device that can be used to flash stock firmware files or any other type of customization file. Download Mode for Samsung devices allows you to install new OTA Updates by pushing them from your computer directly to your phone using only a data cable. Also, for your computer to work with the Download Mode you will need to have the Odin software present.
  1. To enter Download Mode, make sure the phone is fully powered down, pull the battery if you’re not sure.
  2. With the phone powered off, press and hold Volume Down + Home + Power.
  3. Continue holding all three buttons until you see the Galaxy S4 Active Boot splash screen. Once the splash screen appears, released all three buttons.
  4. You should now see a screen asking you if you want to enter Download Mode. Press Volume Up to continue or Volume Down to reboot.
    LMOHRpw.png
  5. Once you press Volume Up you should now be in Download Mode as shown in the screenshot below. If you are not, then power the phone down again and start over.
    8DuV18d.png

Recovery Mode
Android Recovery Mode is a hidden menu of your Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone. It is a great tool that can be used to wipe data, factory reset, format system partition, install firmware and tons of other things that should allow you to improve your smartphone and its current OS. The Stock Recovery Mode is the first and original variant that comes packed with the smartphone after you purchase it. It works with stock and rooted phone.
  1. To enter recovery mode, make sure the phone is fully powered down, pull the battery if you’re not sure.
  2. With the phone powered off, press and hold Volume Up + Home + Power.
  3. Continue holding all three buttons until you see the Galaxy S4 Active Boot splash screen. Once the splash screen appears, released all three buttons.
  4. You should now be in Stock Recovery as shown in the screenshot below. If you are not, then power the phone down again and start over. [INSERT SCREENSHOT]

Odin
From AndroidCentral:
Odin is software that was first leaked back a couple years ago from Samsung. Samsung uses or used it to "flash" or "install" firmware/os/kernels/radio's onto the devices. Samsung still uses it or a form of it in certain releases as a Window's Upgrade Tool as its been known. Its still basically old Odin underneath a custom Window's UI skin. Odin is your friend, respect it. If used improperly it can brick a device since it has the ability to flash very vulnerable sections of your device.

IMPORTANT: Odin is a very powerful program that can make significant changes to your firmware and bootloader. When Odin is flashing files to your phone, do not unplug the usb cord, turn off your computer, or interrupt the process. You could permanently brick your phone making it completely unusable.

As posted by @O-T, you cannot have Kies installed in order for Odin to work properly. If you are having issues with Odin, make sure Kies is not installed.

Unfortunately there isn’t a central location for downloading Odin. The Odin Program can be downloaded from several locations on the internet, so be careful where you get it from an make sure you trust the site you’re downloading it from. There are also several different versions of Odin: v1.83, v1.85, v3.04, v3.06, v3.07, & v3.09. Most Samsung S4 Active users have had success using v3.07, which consequently comes bundled with some of the firmware downloads. If you are having trouble flashing files with v3.07, try using v3.09 or v3.04, users have reported having success when using other versions of Odin.

Last edited:
For any update process, make sure to back up anything you don’t want to lose to an external SD card or source. Many of the updates will completely wipe the phone taking your back to the way the phone was when it came out of the box. Once everything has been backed up, remove the SD card and SIM card from your phone and follow the steps below.

IMPORTANT: If your phone has 4.3 or 4.4.2 firmware on it, then there is no way to downgrade to 4.2.2 firmware. If your phone has 4.4.2 firmware on it, it is still possible to downgrade to 4.3, but many users have reported bugs after downgrading.

I537UCUAMF1 (4.2.2) Released 2013-06-20 - LEAKED

MF1 to MF1 (Leaked: Released 2013-06-20)
  1. Download the MF1 Odin package (Oneclick_I537UCUAMF1.7z) from the i537 Firmware Thread.
  2. Extract Oneclick_I537UCUAMF1.7z using a program such as 7-zip.
  3. Open Oneclick_I537UCUAMF1.exe it should look like this:
    qPLjNs6.png
  4. Next put your phone in download mode. For more information on how to put your phone in download mode, please read the download mode section in the first post.
  5. Once your phone is in Download Mode, connect it to your computer using the cable that came with your phone. IMPORTANT: Odin and Samsung phones are very finicky when flashing firmware, the only usb cable that is guaranteed to work is the cable that came with your phone. You may use other usb cables, but Odin may not detect your phone. If Odin does not detect your phone try connecting to a different usb port or a different computer.
  6. If your phone has connected properly it should show up properly in the Odin window similar to the following picture:
    pBbsYLd.png
  7. Once Odin has detected your phone, hit Start. It will take a long time to flash the package to your phone and will completely wipe your phone. DO NOT DISCONNECT THE CABLE OR TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER. If the process is abruptly interrupted you risk permanently bricking your phone, so be careful.
  8. When the program has finished it is safe to disconnect everything and reboot your phone. Your phone will be completely stock, unrooted and you will have to setup your phone from scratch again. If you wish to root the MF1 firmware, please visit the activeroot website.

MF1 to MF2 (Official: Released 2013-06-21)
Currently no MF2 files are available. It is not possible to return to stock MF2 regardless of what firmware you are currently on.

MF1 to MF3 (Official: Released 2013-06-21)
Currently no MF3 files are available. It is not possible to return to stock MF3 regardless of what firmware you are currently on.

MF1 to MI2 (Leaked: Released 2013-09-25)
  1. Download the MI2 Odin package (OneClick_I537UCUBMI2.zip) from the [URL="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2629093"]i537 Firmware Thread[/URL].
  2. Extract OneClick_I537UCUBMI2.zip using a program such as 7-zip.
  3. Open OneClick_I537UCUBMI2.exe it should look like this:
    4BsgK4E.png
  4. Next put your phone in download mode. For more information on how to put your phone in download mode, please read the download mode section in the first post.
  5. Once your phone is in Download Mode, connect it to your computer using the cable that came with your phone. IMPORTANT: Odin and Samsung phones are very finicky when flashing firmware, the only usb cable that is guaranteed to work is the cable that came with your phone. You may use other usb cables, but Odin may not detect your phone. If Odin does not detect your phone try connecting to a different usb port or a different computer.
  6. If your phone has connected properly it should show up properly in the Odin window similar to the following picture:
    eKYI5Sz.png
  7. Once Odin has detected your phone, hit Start. It will take a long time to flash the package to your phone and will completely wipe your phone. DO NOT DISCONNECT THE CABLE OR TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER. If the process is abruptly interrupted you risk permanently bricking your phone, so be careful.
  8. When the program has finished it is safe to disconnect everything and reboot your phone. Your phone will be completely stock, unrooted and you will have to setup your phone from scratch again. If you wish to root the MI2 firmware, please visit the towelroot website.

MF1 to ML2 (Official: Released 2014-01-07)
IMPORTANT: If you flash the ML2 bootloader you will not be able to downgrade to MF1 or MI2 firmware.
  1. Download the ML2 Odin package (I537UCUBML2.7z) from the i537 Firmware Thread.
  2. Extract I537UCUBML2.7z using a program such as 7-zip.
  3. Once extracted, open the Complete I537 4.3 Odin Package Folder that has been created.
  4. Within that folder you should see 2 folders. Open Odin3_v3.07 and run Odin3_v3.07.exe.
  5. Once opened, you need to load the files for the Bootloader, PDA, Phone, and CSC. The required files are located in the Odin Files folder. It should look exactly like the screenshot below with the appropriate checkboxes checked.
    H9jPErx.png
  6. Next put your phone in download mode. For more information on how to put your phone in download mode, please read the download mode section in the first post.
  7. Once your phone is in Download Mode, connect it to your computer using the cable that came with your phone. IMPORTANT: Odin and Samsung phones are very finicky when flashing firmware, the only usb cable that is guaranteed to work is the cable that came with your phone. You may use other usb cables, but Odin may not detect your phone. If Odin does not detect your phone try connecting to a different usb port or a different computer.
  8. If your phone has connected properly it should show up properly in the Odin window similar to the following picture:
    AxT1HCP.png
  9. Once Odin has detected your phone, hit Start. It will take a long time to flash the package to your phone and will completely wipe your phone. DO NOT DISCONNECT THE CABLE OR TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER. If the process is abruptly interrupted you risk permanently bricking your phone, so be careful.
  10. When the program has finished it is safe to disconnect everything and reboot your phone. Your phone will be completely stock, unrooted and you will have to setup your phone from scratch again. If you wish to root the ML2 firmware, please visit the towelroot website.

MF1 to NC9 (Official: Released 2014-04-16)
  1. In order to update to NC9 firmware, you must first be on stock, unrooted/unmodified ML2 firmware. For instructions on how to update to ML2, please see above. IMPORTANT: If you have rooted ML2 or modified ML2 system files in any way you cannot update to NC9 without wiping and reflashing the ML2 firmware. If you have rooted ML2 you cannot simply unroot, you must wipe and reflash the stock ML2 firmware.
  2. Once you are on unmodified ML2 firmware, download the NC9 OTA File from the i537 Firmware Thread.
  3. The file you download should be named 2400258.cfg. You will need to rename this from “2400258.cfg” to “update.zip” This is an important step because the file must be named “update.zip” in order for it to be flashed through stock recovery.
  4. Place the update.zip file on your phone’s internal storage. Updating the phone to NC9 will be done without a computer so the file must be on the phone itself.
  5. Turn off your phone and reboot into the phone’s stock recovery. For more information on how to enter the phone’s stock recovery, please read the recovery mode section in the first post.
  6. Once in stock recovery use the volume buttons to scroll to “apply update from external storage” and press the power button to select.
  7. Select the update.zip file that you put on your phone to begin installing the update. This process will not wipe your phone and should save all your settings and data from ML2.
  8. Once it has completed you will be on stock, unrooted NC9. If you wish to root the NC9 firmware, please visit the towelroot website.

MF1 to NE3 (Official: Released 2014-06-06)
  1. Download the NE3 Full Odin Package from the i537 Firmware Thread.
  2. Extract SGH-I537UCUCNE3_v4.4.2_ATT_ALL.zip using a program such as 7-zip.
  3. Download the Windows program Odin. For more information about what Odin is and where to get it, please read the Odin section in the first post.
  4. Open the version of Odin that you downloaded (preferably Odin v3.07)
  5. Once opened, you need to load the files for the Bootloader, PDA, Phone, and CSC. The required files are located in the Odin Files folder. It should look exactly like the screenshot below with the appropriate checkboxes checked.
    W1lgXZ0.png
  6. Next put your phone in download mode. For more information on how to put your phone in download mode, please read the download mode section in the first post.
  7. Once your phone is in Download Mode, connect it to your computer using the cable that came with your phone. IMPORTANT: Odin and Samsung phones are very finicky when flashing firmware, the only usb cable that is guaranteed to work is the cable that came with your phone. You may use other usb cables, but Odin may not detect your phone. If Odin does not detect your phone try connecting to a different usb port or a different computer.
  8. If your phone has connected properly it should show up properly in the Odin window similar to the following picture:
    lbkKFYC.png
  9. Once Odin has detected your phone, hit Start. It will take a long time to flash the package to your phone and will completely wipe your phone. DO NOT DISCONNECT THE CABLE OR TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER. If the process is abruptly interrupted you risk permanently bricking your phone, so be careful.
  10. When the program has finished it is safe to disconnect everything and reboot your phone. Your phone will be completely stock, unrooted and you will have to setup your phone from scratch again. If you wish to root the NE3 firmware, please visit the towelroot website.
MF1 to NH3 (Official: Released 2014-09-25)

IMPORTANT: If you want to update your phone to stock NH3 firmware you must first be on stock, unrooted NE3 firmware. Please follow the instructions above to flash stock, unrooted NE3 firmware and then follow the instructions to update to NH3 below.

1. Assuming you're on stock, unrooted NE3, download the Official OTA from the i537 Firmware Thread.
  2. The file you download should be named 2400258.cfg. You will need to rename this from “2400258.cfg” to “update.zip” This is an important step because the file must be named “update.zip” in order for it to be flashed through stock recovery.
  3. Place the update.zip file on your phone’s internal storage. Updating the phone to NH3 will be done without a computer so the file must be on the phone itself.
  4. Turn off your phone and reboot into the phone’s stock recovery. For more information on how to enter the phone’s stock recovery, please read the recovery mode section in the first post.
  5. Once in stock recovery use the volume buttons to scroll to “apply update from external storage” and press the power button to select.
  6. Select the update.zip file that you put on your phone to begin installing the update. This process will not wipe your phone and should save all your settings and data from NE3.
  7. Once it has completed you will be on stock, unrooted NH3.
  8. To root NH3, read through the discussion in this post.

MF1 to OC6 (Official: Released 2015-04-21)

IMPORTANT: If you want to update your phone to stock OC6 firmware you must first be on stock, unrooted NH3 firmware. Please follow the instructions above to flash stock, unrooted NH3 firmware and then follow the instructions to update to OC6 below.

IMPORTANT: If you want to have root on OC6 firmware you must start with rooted firmware. Once you've confirmed that you are on rooted firmware already, follow the great guide @muniz_ri put together for retaining root when updating to OC6 firmware. The procedure below will put you on stock, unrooted OC6 firmware and the only way to root this firmware is to start by flashing the NE3 Odin package which will completely wipe your phone.

1. Assuming you're on stock, unrooted NH3, download the Official NH3 to OC6 OTA from the i537 Firmware Thread.
  2. The file you download should be named NH3toLollipop.zip. Inside this zip file should be a file named 2400258.cfg, extract it. You will need to rename this from “2400258.cfg” to “update.zip” This is an important step because the file must be named “update.zip” in order for it to be flashed through stock recovery.
  3. Place the update.zip file on your phone’s internal storage. Updating the phone to OC6 will be done without a computer so the file must be on the phone itself.
  4. Turn off your phone and reboot into the phone’s stock recovery. For more information on how to enter the phone’s stock recovery, please read the recovery mode section in the first post.
  5. Once in stock recovery use the volume buttons to scroll to “apply update from external storage” and press the power button to select.
  6. Select the update.zip file that you put on your phone to begin installing the update. This process will not wipe your phone and should save all your settings and data from NH3.
  7. Once it has completed you will be on stock, unrooted OC6.

Last edited:

I537UCUAMF2 (4.2.2) Released 2013-06-21 - OFFICIAL

MF2 to MF1 (Leaked: Released 2013-06-20)
  1. Download the MF1 Odin package (Oneclick_I537UCUAMF1.7z) from the i537 Firmware Thread.
    qPLjNs6.png
    pBbsYLd.png
  8. When the program has finished it is safe to disconnect everything and reboot your phone. Your phone will be completely stock, unrooted and you will have to setup your phone from scratch again. If you wish to root the MF1 firmware, please visit the activeroot website.

MF2 to MF2 (Official: Released 2013-06-21)
Currently no MF2 files are available. It is not possible to return to stock MF2 regardless of what firmware you are currently on.

MF2 to MF3 (Official: Released 2013-06-21)

IMPORTANT: If you have rooted MF2 or modified the system files in any way, you cannot update to MF3. If you are on unrooted & unmodified MF2 and have an AT&T sim card inserted, you should be able to update using the phone’s internal updater by going to:
System Settings->More->About device->Software update​
  1. Download the MF3 OTA File from the link in the i537 Firmware Thread.
  2. The file you downloaded should be named "MF3_update.zip". Within the zip file there is a file called "2400258.cfg", extract that file.
  3. You will need to rename this from “2400258.cfg” to “update.zip” This is an important step because the file must be named “update.zip” in order for it to be flashed through stock recovery.
  4. Place the update.zip file on your phone’s internal storage. Updating the phone to MF3 will be done without a computer so the file must be on the phone itself.
  5. Turn off your phone and reboot into the phone’s stock recovery. For more information on how to enter the phone’s stock recovery, please read the recovery mode section in the first post.
  6. Once in stock recovery use the volume buttons to scroll to “apply update from external storage” and press the power button to select.
  7. Select the update.zip file that you put on your phone to begin installing the update. This process will not wipe your phone and should save all your settings and data from MF2.
  8. Once it has completed you will be on stock, unrooted MF3. If you wish to root the MF3 firmware, please visit the activeroot website.

MF2 to MI2 (Leaked: Released 2013-09-25)
  1. Download the MI2 Odin package (OneClick_I537UCUBMI2.zip) from the [URL="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2629093"]i537 Firmware Thread[/URL].
    4BsgK4E.png
    eKYI5Sz.png
  8. When the program has finished it is safe to disconnect everything and reboot your phone. Your phone will be completely stock, unrooted and you will have to setup your phone from scratch again. If you wish to root the MI2 firmware, please visit the towelroot website.

MF2 to ML2 (Official: Released 2014-01-07)
IMPORTANT: If you flash the ML2 bootloader you will not be able to downgrade to MF1 or MI2 firmware.
  1. Download the ML2 Odin package (I537UCUBML2.7z) from the i537 Firmware Thread.
  3. Once extracted, open the Complete I537 4.3 Odin Package Folder that has been created.
  4. Within that folder you should see 2 folders. Open Odin3_v3.07 and run Odin3_v3.07.exe.
    H9jPErx.png
    AxT1HCP.png
  10. When the program has finished it is safe to disconnect everything and reboot your phone. Your phone will be completely stock, unrooted and you will have to setup your phone from scratch again. If you wish to root the ML2 firmware, please visit the towelroot website.

MF2 to NC9 (Official: Released 2014-04-16)
  1. In order to update to NC9 firmware, you must first be on stock, unrooted/unmodified ML2 firmware. For instructions on how to update to ML2, please see above. IMPORTANT: If you have rooted ML2 or modified ML2 system files in any way you cannot update to NC9 without wiping and reflashing the ML2 firmware. If you have rooted ML2 you cannot simply unroot, you must wipe and reflash the stock ML2 firmware.
  2. Once you are on unmodified ML2 firmware, download the NC9 OTA File from the i537 Firmware Thread.
  3. The file you download should be named 2400258.cfg. You will need to rename this from “2400258.cfg” to “update.zip” This is an important step because the file must be named “update.zip” in order for it to be flashed through stock recovery.
  4. Place the update.zip file on your phone’s internal storage. Updating the phone to NC9 will be done without a computer so the file must be on the phone itself.
  7. Select the update.zip file that you put on your phone to begin installing the update. This process will not wipe your phone and should save all your settings and data from ML2.
  8. Once it has completed you will be on stock, unrooted NC9. If you wish to root the NC9 firmware, please visit the towelroot website.

MF2 to NE3 (Official: Released 2014-06-06)
  3. Download the Windows program Odin. For more information about what Odin is and where to get it, please read the Odin section in the first post.
    W1lgXZ0.png
    lbkKFYC.png
  10. When the program has finished it is safe to disconnect everything and reboot your phone. Your phone will be completely stock, unrooted and you will have to setup your phone from scratch again. If you wish to root the NE3 firmware, please visit the towelroot website.
MF2 to NH3 (Official: Released 2014-09-25)

IMPORTANT: If you want to update your phone to stock NH3 firmware you must first be on stock, unrooted NE3 firmware. Please follow the instructions above to flash stock, unrooted NE3 firmware and then follow the instructions to update to NH3 below.

1. Assuming you're on stock, unrooted NE3, download the Official OTA from the i537 Firmware Thread.
  2. The file you download should be named 2400258.cfg. You will need to rename this from “2400258.cfg” to “update.zip” This is an important step because the file must be named “update.zip” in order for it to be flashed through stock recovery.
  3. Place the update.zip file on your phone’s internal storage. Updating the phone to NH3 will be done without a computer so the file must be on the phone itself.
  6. Select the update.zip file that you put on your phone to begin installing the update. This process will not wipe your phone and should save all your settings and data from NE3.

MF2 to OC6 (Official: Released 2015-04-21)

IMPORTANT: If you want to update your phone to stock OC6 firmware you must first be on stock, unrooted NH3 firmware. Please follow the instructions above to flash stock, unrooted NH3 firmware and then follow the instructions to update to OC6 below.

IMPORTANT: If you want to have root on OC6 firmware you must start with rooted firmware. Once you've confirmed that you are on rooted firmware already, follow the great guide @muniz_ri put together for retaining root when updating to OC6 firmware. The procedure below will put you on stock, unrooted OC6 firmware and the only way to root this firmware is to start by flashing the NE3 Odin package which will completely wipe your phone.

1. Assuming you're on stock, unrooted NH3, download the Official NH3 to OC6 OTA from the i537 Firmware Thread.
  2. The file you download should be named NH3toLollipop.zip. Inside this zip file should be a file named 2400258.cfg, extract it. You will need to rename this from “2400258.cfg” to “update.zip” This is an important step because the file must be named “update.zip” in order for it to be flashed through stock recovery.
  3. Place the update.zip file on your phone’s internal storage. Updating the phone to OC6 will be done without a computer so the file must be on the phone itself.
  6. Select the update.zip file that you put on your phone to begin installing the update. This process will not wipe your phone and should save all your settings and data from NH3.

Last edited:

I537UCUAMF3 (4.2.2) Released 2013-06-21 - OFFICIAL

MF3 to MF1 (Leaked: Released 2013-06-20)
    qPLjNs6.png
    pBbsYLd.png

MF3 to MF2 (Official: Released 2013-06-21)

MF3 to MF3 (Official: Released 2013-06-21)
Currently no MF3 files are available. It is not possible to return to stock MF3 regardless of what firmware you are currently on.

MF3 to MI2 (Leaked: Released 2013-09-25)
    4BsgK4E.png
    eKYI5Sz.png

MF3 to ML2 (Official: Released 2014-01-07)
    H9jPErx.png
    AxT1HCP.png

MF3 to NC9 (Official: Released 2014-04-16)
  5. Turn off your phne and reboot into the phone’s stock recovery. For more information on how to enter the phone’s stock recovery, please read the recovery mode section in the first post.

MF3 to NE3 (Official: Released 2014-06-06)
    W1lgXZ0.png
    lbkKFYC.png
MF3 to NH3 (Official: Released 2014-09-25)

MF3 to OC6 (Official: Released 2015-04-21)

Last edited:

I537UCUBMI2 (4.3) Released 2013-09-25 - LEAKED

MI2 to MF1 (Leaked: Released 2013-06-20)
    qPLjNs6.png
    pBbsYLd.png

MI2 to MF2 (Official: Released 2013-06-21)

MI2 to MF3 (Official: Released 2013-06-21)

MI2 to MI2 (Leaked: Released 2013-09-25)
    4BsgK4E.png
    eKYI5Sz.png

MI2 to ML2 (Official: Released 2014-01-07)
    H9jPErx.png
    AxT1HCP.png

MI2 to NC9 (Official: Released 2014-04-16)
  5. Turn off your phne and reboot into the phone’s stock recovery. For more information on how to enter the phone’s stock recovery, please read the recovery mode section in the first post.

MI2 to NE3 (Official: Released 2014-06-06)
    W1lgXZ0.png
    lbkKFYC.png
MI2 to NH3 (Official: Released 2014-09-25)

MI2 to OC6 (Official: Released 2015-04-21)

Last edited:

I537UCUBML2 (4.3) Released 2014-01-07 - OFFICIAL

ML2 to MF1 (Leaked: Released 2013-06-20)
If you already have the ML2 bootloader (if your phone is working properly on ML2 firmware then odds are you already have the ML2 bootloader), there is no way to downgrade to MF1, MF2, MF3 or MI2. If do not have the ML2 bootloader then follow any of the previous instructions for flashing the desired firmware.

ML2 to MF2 (Official: Released 2013-06-21)
If you already have the ML2 bootloader (if your phone is working properly on ML2 firmware then odds are you already have the ML2 bootloader), there is no way to downgrade to MF1, MF2, MF3 or MI2. If do not have the ML2 bootloader then follow any of the previous instructions for flashing the desired firmware.

ML2 to MF3 (Official: Released 2013-06-21)

ML2 to MI2 (Leaked: Released 2013-09-25)

ML2 to ML2 (Official: Released 2014-01-07)
    H9jPErx.png
    AxT1HCP.png

ML2 to NC9 (Official: Released 2014-04-16)

ML2 to NE3 (Official: Released 2014-06-06)
    W1lgXZ0.png
    lbkKFYC.png
ML2 to NH3 (Official: Released 2014-09-25)

ML2 to OC6 (Official: Released 2015-04-21)

Last edited:

I537UCUCNC9 (4.4.2) Released 2014-04-16 - OFFICIAL

NC9 to MF1 (Leaked: Released 2013-06-20)
If you already on NC9 firmware, there is no way to downgrade to MF1, MF2, MF3 or MI2.

NC9 to MF2 (Official: Released 2013-06-21)
If you already on NC9 firmware, there is no way to downgrade to MF1, MF2, MF3 or MI2.

NC9 to MF3 (Official: Released 2013-06-21)

NC9 to MI2 (Leaked: Released 2013-09-25)

NC9 to ML2 (Official: Released 2014-01-07)
IMPORTANT: There have been reported bugs with wireless connectivity and sound on ML2 when downgrading from NC9.
  4. Within that folder you should see 2 folders. Open Odin3_v3.07 and run Odin3_v3.07exe.
  5. Once opened, you need to load the files for the PDA, Phone, and CSC. The required files are located in the Odin Files folder. It should look exactly like the screenshot below with the appropriate checkboxes checked. IMPORTANT: Do not load the Bootloader file. If you load the Bootloader file, the flash will fail. You will not brick your phone, but Odin will throw up an error and the flash will fail.
    5g5fAO4.png
    KEFVTII.png

NC9 to NC9 (Official: Released 2014-04-16)
  1. In order to return to stock, unrooted NC9 firmware, you must first be on stock, unrooted/unmodified ML2 firmware. For instructions on how to update to ML2, please see above. IMPORTANT: If you have rooted ML2 or modified ML2 system files in any way you cannot update to NC9 without wiping and reflashing the ML2 firmware. If you have rooted ML2 you cannot simply unroot, you must wipe and reflash the stock ML2 firmware.

NC9 to NE3 (Official: Released 2014-06-06)
There are 2 methods for updating to NE3 depending on if you have rooted NC9 or modified NC9 system files. If the instructions for updating from Unrooted and Unmodified NC9 don’t work, then you can always use the instructions for Rooted or Modified NC9.

Unrooted and Unmodified NC9
  1. Download the NC9 to NE3 OTA File from the i537 Firmware Thread.
  3. Place the update.zip file on your phone’s internal storage. Updating the phone to NE3 will be done without a computer so the file must be on the phone itself.
  6. Select the update.zip file that you put on your phone to begin installing the update. This process will not wipe your phone and should save all your settings and data from NC9.
  7. Once it has completed you will be on stock, unrooted NE3. If you wish to root the NE3 firmware, please visit the towelroot website.

Rooted or Modified NC9
    W1lgXZ0.png
    lbkKFYC.png
NC9 to NH3 (Official: Released 2014-09-25)

NC9 to OC6 (Official: Released 2015-04-21)

Last edited:
Reactions: Diablo2424

I537UCUCNE3 (4.4.2) Released 2014-06-06 - OFFICIAL

NE3 to MF1 (Leaked: Released 2013-06-20)
If you already on NE3 firmware, there is no way to downgrade to MF1, MF2, MF3 or MI2.

NE3 to MF2 (Official: Released 2013-06-21)
If you already on NE3 firmware, there is no way to downgrade to MF1, MF2, MF3 or MI2.

NE3 to MF3 (Official: Released 2013-06-21)

NE3 to MI2 (Leaked: Released 2013-09-25)

NE3 to ML2 (Official: Released 2014-01-07)
IMPORTANT: There have been reported bugs with wireless connectivity and sound on ML2 when downgrading from NE3.
  4. Within that folder you should see 2 folders. Open Odin3_v3.07 and run Odin3_v3.07exe.
  5. Once opened, you need to load the files for the PDA, Phone, and CSC. The required files are located in the Odin Files folder. It should look exactly like the screenshot below with the appropriate checkboxes checked. IMPORTANT: Do not load the Bootloader file. If you load the Bootloader file, the flash will fail. You will not brick your phone, but Odin will throw up an error and the flash will fail.
    5g5fAO4.png
    KEFVTII.png

NE3 to NC9 (Official: Released 2014-04-16)
  1. In order to return to stock, unrooted NC9 firmware, you must first be on stock, unrooted/unmodified ML2 firmware. For instructions on how to update to ML2, please see above. IMPORTANT: If you have rooted ML2 or modified ML2 system files in any way you cannot update to NC9 without wiping and reflashing the ML2 firmware. If you have rooted ML2 you cannot simply unroot, you must wipe and reflash the stock ML2 firmware.

NE3 to NE3 (Official: Released 2014-06-06)
    W1lgXZ0.png
    lbkKFYC.png
NE3 to NH3 (Official: Released 2014-09-25)

NE3 to OC6 (Official: Released 2015-04-21)

Last edited:

I537UCUCNH3 (4.4.2) Released 2014-09-25 - OFFICIAL

NH3 to MF1 (Leaked: Released 2013-06-20)
If you already on NH3 firmware, there is no way to downgrade to MF1, MF2, MF3 or MI2.

NH3 to MF2 (Official: Released 2013-06-21)
If you already on NH3 firmware, there is no way to downgrade to MF1, MF2, MF3 or MI2.

NH3 to MF3 (Official: Released 2013-06-21)

NH3 to MI2 (Leaked: Released 2013-09-25)

NH3 to ML2 (Official: Released 2014-01-07)
IMPORTANT: There have been reported bugs with wireless connectivity and sound on ML2 when downgrading from NH3.
    5g5fAO4.png
    KEFVTII.png

NH3 to NC9 (Official: Released 2014-04-16)

NH3 to NE3 (Official: Released 2014-06-06)
  5. Once opened, you need to load the files for the PDA, Phone, and CSC. IMPORTANT:Do not load or flash the bootloader file, Odin will fail to flash anything. The required files are located in the Odin Files folder. It should look exactly like the screenshot below with the appropriate checkboxes checked.
    HSOWj9T.png
    lbkKFYC.png
NH3 to NH3 (Official: Released 2014-09-25)

NH3 to OC6 (Official: Released 2015-04-21)

Last edited:

I537UCUCOC6 (5.0.1) Released 2015-04-21 - OFFICIAL

This post will be updated with the proper procedure for downgrading from OC6 firmware to other firmware once time permits. If you're looking for methods to update to the OC6 firmware, please see the other posts above.

Last edited:

oodork123

Nov 28, 2011
West Palm Beach, FL
How do I know which firmware I'm using. I recently just got this Samsung S4 Active with root but I really want to upgrade to the 4.4.2 update. I do have recovery mode working finally. Just need a pointer on which one I should download.

APeter001

Aug 21, 2013

Remove the SIM? Never did that before- last update was from update.zip which was actually ON the SD card. Is this just an extra precaution for the fragile 'secure element' cards?

Remove the SIM? Never did that before- last update was from update.zip which was actually ON the SD card. Is this just an extra precaution for the fragile 'secure element' cards?
Exactly. Odds are that there won't be any problems, but when using Odin (a very powerful program) it never hurts to be overly cautious. I'm sure there are people out there that say nothing bad could possibly happen with the SIM card in, but I'd rather not take the chance. Ultimately it is up to the user, these are just my recommendations.

Reactions: APeter001

angelle97

Mar 4, 2013
I can't seem to find the answer anywhere... Are any roms able to run on the ne3 firmware, or should I downgrade? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using XDA Free mobile app

I can't seem to find the answer anywhere... Are any roms able to run on the ne3 firmware, or should I downgrade? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using XDA Free mobile app

This question doesn't belong in this thread, but yes there are plenty of ROMs that will run on SafeStrap with NE3 firmware. Please read through this thread, it will have the information you are looking for.

rekamyenom

Sep 20, 2010
Clearwater
Odin will not see My S4 Active. Yes I have all the drivers, tried 3 computers and 10 cables. Odin and the computer see the phone just fine when NOT in download mode. Any help?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For instructions on how to root any i537 AT&T firmware, please read through the [GUIDE][HOW-TO] Root Any i537 AT&T Firmware thread.

For download links for i537 AT&T firmware as well as links to other information relevant to specific firmware, please read through the i537 AT&T Firmware Thread.

Please select the firmware your phone is currently on to be directed to instructions for updating your specific firmware:

Download Mode
    Download Mode is also known as Odin Mode on the XDA Wiki. The Galaxy S4 Active features the Android Download Mode which is a sub-system of your device that can be used to flash stock firmware files or any other type of customization file. Download Mode for Samsung devices allows you to install new OTA Updates by pushing them from your computer directly to your phone using only a data cable. Also, for your computer to work with the Download Mode you will need to have the Odin software present.
    1. To enter Download Mode, make sure the phone is fully powered down, pull the battery if you’re not sure.
    2. With the phone powered off, press and hold Volume Down + Home + Power.
    4. You should now see a screen asking you if you want to enter Download Mode. Press Volume Up to continue or Volume Down to reboot.
      LMOHRpw.png
    5. Once you press Volume Up you should now be in Download Mode as shown in the screenshot below. If you are not, then power the phone down again and start over.
      8DuV18d.png

Recovery Mode
    Android Recovery Mode is a hidden menu of your Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone. It is a great tool that can be used to wipe data, factory reset, format system partition, install firmware and tons of other things that should allow you to improve your smartphone and its current OS. The Stock Recovery Mode is the first and original variant that comes packed with the smartphone after you purchase it. It works with stock and rooted phone.
    1. To enter recovery mode, make sure the phone is fully powered down, pull the battery if you’re not sure.
    2. With the phone powered off, press and hold Volume Up + Home + Power.
    4. You should now be in Stock Recovery as shown in the screenshot below. If you are not, then power the phone down again and start over. [INSERT SCREENSHOT]

Odin
    From AndroidCentral:
    Odin is software that was first leaked back a couple years ago from Samsung. Samsung uses or used it to "flash" or "install" firmware/os/kernels/radio's onto the devices. Samsung still uses it or a form of it in certain releases as a Window's Upgrade Tool as its been known. Its still basically old Odin underneath a custom Window's UI skin. Odin is your friend, respect it. If used improperly it can brick a device since it has the ability to flash very vulnerable sections of your device.

IMPORTANT: Odin is a very powerful program that can make significant changes to your firmware and bootloader. When Odin is flashing files to your phone, do not unplug the usb cord, turn off your computer, or interrupt the process. You could permanently brick your phone making it completely unusable.

As posted by @O-T, you cannot have Kies installed in order for Odin to work properly. If you are having issues with Odin, make sure Kies is not installed.

Unfortunately there isn’t a central location for downloading Odin. The Odin Program can be downloaded from several locations on the internet, so be careful where you get it from an make sure you trust the site you’re downloading it from. There are also several different versions of Odin: v1.83, v1.85, v3.04, v3.06, v3.07, & v3.09. Most Samsung S4 Active users have had success using v3.07, which consequently comes bundled with some of the firmware downloads. If you are having trouble flashing files with v3.07, try using v3.09 or v3.04, users have reported having success when using other versions of Odin.

I537UCUCNH3 (4.4.2) Released 2014-09-25 - OFFICIAL

NH3 to MF1 (Leaked: Released 2013-06-20)

NH3 to MF2 (Official: Released 2013-06-21)

NH3 to MF3 (Official: Released 2013-06-21)

NH3 to MI2 (Leaked: Released 2013-09-25)

NH3 to ML2 (Official: Released 2014-01-07)
    IMPORTANT: There have been reported bugs with wireless connectivity and sound on ML2 when downgrading from NH3.
      5g5fAO4.png
      KEFVTII.png

NH3 to NC9 (Official: Released 2014-04-16)

NH3 to NE3 (Official: Released 2014-06-06)
    5. Once opened, you need to load the files for the PDA, Phone, and CSC. IMPORTANT:Do not load or flash the bootloader file, Odin will fail to flash anything. The required files are located in the Odin Files folder. It should look exactly like the screenshot below with the appropriate checkboxes checked.
      HSOWj9T.png
      lbkKFYC.png
    NH3 to NH3 (Official: Released 2014-09-25)

NH3 to OC6 (Official: Released 2015-04-21)

I537UCUCNE3 (4.4.2) Released 2014-06-06 - OFFICIAL

NE3 to MF1 (Leaked: Released 2013-06-20)

NE3 to MF2 (Official: Released 2013-06-21)

NE3 to MF3 (Official: Released 2013-06-21)

NE3 to MI2 (Leaked: Released 2013-09-25)

NE3 to ML2 (Official: Released 2014-01-07)
    IMPORTANT: There have been reported bugs with wireless connectivity and sound on ML2 when downgrading from NE3.
      5g5fAO4.png
      KEFVTII.png

NE3 to NC9 (Official: Released 2014-04-16)

NE3 to NE3 (Official: Released 2014-06-06)
      W1lgXZ0.png
      lbkKFYC.png
    NE3 to NH3 (Official: Released 2014-09-25)

NE3 to OC6 (Official: Released 2015-04-21)

I537UCUAMF3 (4.2.2) Released 2013-06-21 - OFFICIAL

MF3 to MF1 (Leaked: Released 2013-06-20)
      qPLjNs6.png
      pBbsYLd.png

MF3 to MF2 (Official: Released 2013-06-21)

MF3 to MF3 (Official: Released 2013-06-21)

MF3 to MI2 (Leaked: Released 2013-09-25)
      4BsgK4E.png
      eKYI5Sz.png

MF3 to ML2 (Official: Released 2014-01-07)
      H9jPErx.png
      AxT1HCP.png

MF3 to NC9 (Official: Released 2014-04-16)

MF3 to NE3 (Official: Released 2014-06-06)
      W1lgXZ0.png
      lbkKFYC.png
    MF3 to NH3 (Official: Released 2014-09-25)

MF3 to OC6 (Official: Released 2015-04-21)

I537UCUBML2 (4.3) Released 2014-01-07 - OFFICIAL

ML2 to MF1 (Leaked: Released 2013-06-20)

ML2 to MF2 (Official: Released 2013-06-21)

ML2 to MF3 (Official: Released 2013-06-21)

ML2 to MI2 (Leaked: Released 2013-09-25)

ML2 to ML2 (Official: Released 2014-01-07)
      H9jPErx.png
      AxT1HCP.png

ML2 to NC9 (Official: Released 2014-04-16)

ML2 to NE3 (Official: Released 2014-06-06)
      W1lgXZ0.png
      lbkKFYC.png
    ML2 to NH3 (Official: Released 2014-09-25)

ML2 to OC6 (Official: Released 2015-04-21)