A fix for the yellow-ish display

Search This thread

jtc276

Jul 9, 2011
Ripley, WV
I really like the phone and think the screen is fine in most areas...but it's very yellow. The whites aren't really whites and, compared to my HTC One, the difference is striking. Yes, I know the One has an extremely cold screen while the Nexus has a warm screen, but there has to be a happy medium here, right? I think this is clearly just a calibration problem that can be fixed with a software tweak, so does anyone have any ideas? It's literally the only thing I'm not happy about.

wynand32

Jan 2, 2008
I really like the phone and think the screen is fine in most areas...but it's very yellow. The whites aren't really whites and, compared to my HTC One, the difference is striking. Yes, I know the One has an extremely cold screen while the Nexus has a warm screen, but there has to be a happy medium here, right? I think this is clearly just a calibration problem that can be fixed with a software tweak, so does anyone have any ideas? It's literally the only thing I'm not happy about.

Maybe it can be adjusted for in software, but I don't believe this is just a calibration issue. I also don't think it's color temp, precisely, because that should be either bluish cold or reddish warm, not urine yellow (sorry, best way to describe it). I've seen this on many devices over the last few years, from ASUS Transformers to iPads to the Nexus 7 and Nexus 10. The only device I've bought where I didn't have at least one with a yellow screen was my Nexus 4, and I'm pretty sure I was just lucky the first time out--plenty of people complained about this on their Nexus 4s.

I think it's some kind of manufacturing variability, with the intended design specs (and software calibration) to have truer whites and deeper colors (washed out UI colors go along with the yellow tint). Personally, I can't accept it--the problem also shows itself as a lack of contrast in UI elements, such as the browser address bar against the background gray, or text fields in Hangouts. On the yellowish displays, there's almost no contrast, and so the fields can actually be hard to make out sometimes.

Thing is, if you never have two devices to hold side-by-side, then you may never notice the issue. You'll just think that colors are washed out, because that's more obvious by itself than the off-color whites.

I went through four iPad 3s before getting one with true whites, and more Nexus 7s and Nexus 10s than I'll admit to. I just hate it, personally, and honestly the Nexus 5 hasn't been so great so far that I'll go through the same number to get one that's acceptable. I have a replacement on its way (my audio output is also a bit distorted), and if that one's the same then I might give up on this year's Nexus and get an LG G2 instead.

jtc276

Jul 9, 2011
Ripley, WV
Maybe it can be adjusted for in software, but I don't believe this is just a calibration issue. I also don't think it's color temp, precisely, because that should be either bluish cold or reddish warm, not urine yellow (sorry, best way to describe it). I've seen this on many devices over the last few years, from ASUS Transformers to iPads to the Nexus 7 and Nexus 10. The only device I've bought where I didn't have at least one with a yellow screen was my Nexus 4, and I'm pretty sure I was just lucky the first time out--plenty of people complained about this on their Nexus 4s.

I think it's some kind of manufacturing variability, with the intended design specs (and software calibration) to have truer whites and deeper colors (washed out UI colors go along with the yellow tint). Personally, I can't accept it--the problem also shows itself as a lack of contrast in UI elements, such as the browser address bar against the background gray, or text fields in Hangouts. On the yellowish displays, there's almost no contrast, and so the fields can actually be hard to make out sometimes.

Thing is, if you never have two devices to hold side-by-side, then you may never notice the issue. You'll just think that colors are washed out, because that's more obvious by itself than the off-color whites.

I went through four iPad 3s before getting one with true whites, and more Nexus 7s and Nexus 10s than I'll admit to. I just hate it, personally, and honestly the Nexus 5 hasn't been so great so far that I'll go through the same number to get one that's acceptable. I have a replacement on its way (my audio output is also a bit distorted), and if that one's the same then I might give up on this year's Nexus and get an LG G2 instead.

Interesting. Yesterday I was actually angry and posted the phone on Swappa. Today I've been much nicer toward the subject. But if it's really due to the manufacturing process, I might just swap it for a Moto X. Either way, I'm not sure. I still need to decide.

tremblingwater

Jul 24, 2010
London
Interesting. Yesterday I was actually angry and posted the phone on Swappa. Today I've been much nicer toward the subject. But if it's really due to the manufacturing process, I might just swap it for a Moto X. Either way, I'm not sure. I still need to decide.

Best thing would be to wait for the dev's and see what they come up with. They did great with the N4, so I'm hoping it'll be the same on the N5. I do think the display is incredibly warm. Having it side by side with my N4 is striking.

MrBelter

Apr 10, 2011
Maybe it can be adjusted for in software, but I don't believe this is just a calibration issue. I also don't think it's color temp, precisely, because that should be either bluish cold or reddish warm, not urine yellow (sorry, best way to describe it)

A warm white balance is yellowish not red. At low levels my N5 is massively warm next to my N4

Reactions: Chipsybg

wynand32

Jan 2, 2008
A warm white balance is yellowish not red. At low levels my N5 is massively warm next to my N4

Yes, thanks, you're right--color temp does go through yellow as it gets warmer before getting to red. So, thanks for the correction.

That said, it's not a _consistent_ thing, or at least hasn't been in the past with other devices. I have a Nexus 10, for example, that is much colder (with white whites, not blueish, so I'm calling it right in the middle) than many others that I tried out side-by-side. It also seems to get better with given devices as the manufacturing process goes on--for example, it was a problem early in the lifecycle of the iPad 3 but then became consistently over time (if forum complaints about it can be taken as evidence).

So, personally, I think that it's simply very difficult to make consistent LCD panels with these resolutions and at these price points. Perhaps someone like LG does a better job of quality control in making their higher-priced G2 than they do screens for their Nexus 5; I haven't read about this being a problem with the LG G2's screen, which I think is similar technology.

Anyways, it definitely makes an impact on the quality of the experience. I might be much more sensitive to it than others, and some people might actually prefer their screen warmer--although I wonder if they would if they hold it next to a screen that has truer whites. Really, the difference in contrast is what's most striking, to me at least.

---------- Post added at 08:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 AM ----------

Oh, and, I think you're right about the brightness levels as well-it does seem to get a touch better when the screen is brighter.

hello00

Dec 29, 2009
South Miami, FL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
this also happened with the iphone 5s..it was fixed a few weeks later..our phones have only just been made and the glue takes on average 2 to 3 weeks to dry completely and then become transparent..relax

aooga

Feb 19, 2011
California
this also happened with the iphone 5s..it was fixed a few weeks later..our phones have only just been made and the glue takes on average 2 to 3 weeks to dry completely and then become transparent..relax

This guy is right. Give it a week and it will get better. Not perfect, but it won't be as yellow.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

wynand32

Jan 2, 2008

Unfortunately, I don't think this is the same as the glue issue. That's typically only on parts of the screen, and I've seen this too many times on other devices where out of the box one is terribly warmer than another and it never resolves.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Chad_Petree

Apr 2, 2009
Unfortunately, I don't think this is the same as the glue issue. That's typically only on parts of the screen, and I've seen this too many times on other devices where out of the box one is terribly warmer than another and it never resolves.

You're right , when it's a glue problem usually there's just spots, not a solid yellow tone over the screen, so what can we do? try to exchange the phone, are there nexus 5 with colder screen or are they all so yellow? :(

I had a galaxy nexus with a terribly yellow screen, let me tell it NEVER got better , even after months of use :crying:

hello00

Dec 29, 2009
South Miami, FL
Google Pixel 6 Pro

other n4 had it and later was fixed..i remember when i had it on mine

EdZ

Feb 22, 2007
Comparing my Nexus 5 by eye to my calibrated (sRGB, 6500k white point) monitor, the Nexus 5 has a very slight blue push. The Nexus 4, however, is INCREDIBLY blue. Like 9300k blue. If you're used to the Nexus 4, the Nexus 5 will look yellow, but it's the Nexus 4 that is out of whack in this case.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I find it hilarious that people think an RMA is going to fix color calibration.

Folks, the screen's not yellow. It's warm. A good color calibrated display SHOULD be warm. Many phones and low quality (TN panel) computer screens are calibrated towards an extremely blue white point.

This may "look" more white, but here's the problem. You know where else you see those ultra-blue whites? Those big old flourescent lights. Yes, that's right, you're demanding that your phone look more like the sickly blue-white that offices have been infected with for decades.

The reason warm temperature colors are preferred for color accuracy is because that's how most of us see light. The sun, being the most significant producer of light on earth, is not a blue-white. It's a yellow-orange white. By aiming at a warmer color temperature, photos and movies will look much more like the real world. It's also easier and less straining on the eyes.

Finally, the reason it may seem to "fade" is simply perception. As you get used to the screen looking warmer than you're accustomed to, it'll perceptibly seem less warm, even if it's not. Trying to compare from memory is frankly the most unscientific and unreliable method of comparing anything. Your brain simply doesn't retain detail like that. The only way to appropriately measure it is to use a color meter. No, photos won't cut it, your camera must also make choices on color temperature and it can get it very wrong.
    Based on what? If you're looking at photos, you can't make that comparison. Cameras can completely alter the color temperature of what they photograph. You can literally take two photos of the same device in slightly different lighting and the device will look extremely blue, and then extremely yellow.

Based on me putting two N5's side by side and everyone in the room agreeing my screen looked very yellow and his looked very white.

Whether you like a yellow screen or not, a distinct, tangible difference between displays on the same model indicates that something is up.

I know you're determined to imply that people in this thread with complaints are stupid plebs, but that really isnt the case.
    Maybe it can be adjusted for in software, but I don't believe this is just a calibration issue. I also don't think it's color temp, precisely, because that should be either bluish cold or reddish warm, not urine yellow (sorry, best way to describe it)

I don't know if you can tell the difference but it's there. I already submitted an RMA for it. The 32GB is the one with the issue.

I do not see a difference.

Here is my Black 32GB next to my Nexus 4. I already ordered a replacement. If I see a difference with the replacement, I'll post another side by side pic.
    Guys, I have gone through each and every post in this thread yet am not able to get to a conclusion whether to send back my Nexus 5 or not. I got a 32Gb black with a yellow tint. Its not all that a big prob for me, but would like to know if this can be fixed with a software update? Thanks in advance.

I just received my second white 32gb model. It still wasn't has nice a screen as the Nexus 5 I already had but not as bad as the white 32gb I had before.

The interesting thing that has happened is, the display looks better now.

One of the things I had noticed, other than the yellow tint of the previous model, was my Google + profile pic in the pull down area was not as sharp and seemed to not fit well in the box. Now it looks normal and just as good as my other N5.

It basically straightened itself out after I used the phone for a awhile. The yellow tint is just about gone and the screen seems to be brighter. It's still. It quite as bright as my first N5 but it's darn close.

I would say keep using it and see what happens

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD