MX Player Custom Codec [AC3,DTS,MLP,TRUEHD, etc..]

Search This thread

MikeHawk8D

Feb 23, 2020
Codec doesn't seem to be working on MX Player 1.20.9

Firstly, sorry for the long post. I just figure being detailed is a lot less annoying than leaving details out so I tried to be thorough.

Im trying to play a movie file that contains DTS audio on my smart tv. Oddly enough when playing the file on the naked MX app it works but with some issues. At first it gave me a quick error message that said the format wasn't supported, I reloaded the video file and now it plays the audio but it lags and skips every few seconds. Did some googling and ended up here.

MX's auto detect wants me to download ARMv7 NEON 1.13.0 but there's no such file in the download section. When it comes to which file I should actually be downloading, I read through this thread looking for a clear answer and didn't really find one. Theres a bunch of people telling others to "check post 2", I don't know what that means. All I see is the original post and carefully read everything on it, including what I believe to be "post 2" which is OP's comment under the post.

Anyway I went to the download section, which apparently has changed throughout the years, and I downloaded the codec(s). The page looks like this to me imgur(dot)com/a/6MJUpnw so I went with my best guess which was mx_neon64 (in reality I downloaded all of them but my go to was neon64). Loaded those onto a usb so that I could load it into my TV (Hisense H8F 55" running Android). Went to the MX app>Settings>Decoder>Custom codec and tried setting the location to the new codec straight to where it was on the USB stick but that didn't work. Then I used a file manager application to download the zip into the TV's internal storage (SDcard/Download). Fired up MX and loaded the codec from its new location but again it didn't work. The app keeps giving me "Can't find custom codec. Please use version 1.13.0 ARMv7 NEON codec.". I also tried unzipping the file and loading the raw file into MX but that also doesn't seem to work.

Then I tried all the other codecs, some load some don't, but none of the ones that actually load fix the stuttering audio issue. Specifically trying the mx_aio file which apparently (from checking the about section of the MX Player app) successfully loads ARMv7 NEON custom codec 1.13.0 but even when it seemingly has the correct codec loaded onto MX it still does not fix the audio issue. Also tried SW decoding with each codec and the audio issue persists. So now I'm pretty much stuck and don't know where to go from here.

I should also mention a bit of confusion when reading OP's post, specifically the part where he's referencing codecs from the google play store (which he says is mandatory) and custom codecs (which are optional). Is he implying that you should download the google play store file first, install that, and then the optional custom codec? Or do what I did and just download the custom codec from here and load it into the MX App and forget about the google play store codec? Others in this thread suggest the play store codec is a waste of time but I can't seem to find that codec anyway as its pretty difficult to navigate on the TV app, and all that comes up are a bunch of irrelevant apps.

edit: some others with a similar issue of not being able to load neon64 said the solved it by loading the file into a root folder first. I tried doing that on my TV but I don't have permissions so it doesn't let me copy the file to a root folder.

Last edited:

rjm831

Apr 3, 2016
Santa Cruz
Codec doesn't seem to be working on MX Player 1.20.9

Firstly, sorry for the long post. I just figure being detailed is a lot less annoying than leaving details out so I tried to be thorough.

Im trying to play a movie file that contains DTS audio on my smart tv. Oddly enough when playing the file on the naked MX app it works but with some issues. At first it gave me a quick error message that said the format wasn't supported, I reloaded the video file and now it plays the audio but it lags and skips every few seconds. Did some googling and ended up here.

MX's auto detect wants me to download ARMv7 NEON 1.13.0 but there's no such file in the download section. When it comes to which file I should actually be downloading, I read through this thread looking for a clear answer and didn't really find one. Theres a bunch of people telling others to "check post 2", I don't know what that means. All I see is the original post and carefully read everything on it, including what I believe to be "post 2" which is OP's comment under the post.

Anyway I went to the download section, which apparently has changed throughout the years, and I downloaded the codec(s). The page looks like this to me imgur(dot)com/a/6MJUpnw so I went with my best guess which was mx_neon64 (in reality I downloaded all of them but my go to was neon64). Loaded those onto a usb so that I could load it into my TV (Hisense H8F 55" running Android). Went to the MX app>Settings>Decoder>Custom codec and tried setting the location to the new codec straight to where it was on the USB stick but that didn't work. Then I used a file manager application to download the zip into the TV's internal storage (SDcard/Download). Fired up MX and loaded the codec from its new location but again it didn't work. The app keeps giving me "Can't find custom codec. Please use version 1.13.0 ARMv7 NEON codec.". I also tried unzipping the file and loading the raw file into MX but that also doesn't seem to work.

Then I tried all the other codecs, some load some don't, but none of the ones that actually load fix the stuttering audio issue. Specifically trying the mx_aio file which apparently (from checking the about section of the MX Player app) successfully loads ARMv7 NEON custom codec 1.13.0 but even when it seemingly has the correct codec loaded onto MX it still does not fix the audio issue. Also tried SW decoding with each codec and the audio issue persists. So now I'm pretty much stuck and don't know where to go from here.

I should also mention a bit of confusion when reading OP's post, specifically the part where he's referencing codecs from the google play store (which he says is mandatory) and custom codecs (which are optional). Is he implying that you should download the google play store file first, install that, and then the optional custom codec? Or do what I did and just download the custom codec from here and load it into the MX App and forget about the google play store codec? Others in this thread suggest the play store codec is a waste of time but I can't seem to find that codec anyway as its pretty difficult to navigate on the TV app, and all that comes up are a bunch of irrelevant apps.

edit: some others with a similar issue of not being able to load neon64 said the solved it by loading the file into a root folder first. I tried doing that on my TV but I don't have permissions so it doesn't let me copy the file to a root folder.
Yes, there IS a copy of 1.13.0 - on the Drive folder listed in the first post. And yes, it works on 1.20.9. If anyone's having problems it's not the fault of this developer - look to your own phone & apps.

MikeHawk8D

Feb 23, 2020
Yes, there IS a copy of 1.13.0 - on the Drive folder listed in the first post. And yes, it works on 1.20.9. If anyone's having problems it's not the fault of this developer - look to your own phone & apps.

Did you even read the post in its entirety or did your gold fish attention make you stop half way through.

Did you even read the post in its entirety or did your gold fish attention make you stop half way through.
it works fine for me, and im using the latest version of mx player pro, use the xda link below the google drive link and download the aio zip

the codec from the play store is not needed, thats basically just a worse version of this one

if the media youre trying to play is encoded in 10bit then it cant be played with hardware decoding, and the audio in 10bit encoded video doesnt play at all even with software decoding, thats just an android limitation, the only android devices that support 10bit are tablets with nvidia tegra gpus, youll have to convert the video files with handbrake or some other program

Last edited:
Reactions: Sid32

oroboros74

Jan 3, 2013
Same. Is there a way to at least disable the message? Running on Mibox, there's no way to reach the dismiss OK notification. Or other with work arounds?

quorn23

Jan 25, 2012
Google Pixel 4 XL
Google Pixel 7
Fresh pixel 4xl, wanted to add the custom Codec again, getting the error in the screenshot, I do not see a 1.21 version in the store, are the current Codecs for that version only? I joined the beta, but this is still the most recent version for me. Anyone has an advice? :confused:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200310-151238.png
    Screenshot_20200310-151238.png
    230.4 KB · Views: 464
  • Screenshot_20200310-151324.png
    Screenshot_20200310-151324.png
    252.8 KB · Views: 470

AraldoL

For those without the newest MX Player (like me on Pixel 3a) don't use the too new Codec 1.21 from Post #2614 yet but click on "Downloads" in the black bar on top of this thread. There is still the previous Codec 1.13 which works with current MX Player on Pixels. I renamed them to mx_aio1.13.zip and mx_aio1.21.zip and put them both on my device. So I can select 1.13 now and am prepared for 1.21 when MX Player ist updated.

Reactions: aavvaallooss

DchromE1

Mar 16, 2020
Does anyone know which one I should select if I have a 2017 nvidia shield and a 2019 nvidia shield? Thanks.

Ch3vr0n

May 6, 2009
The device should tell you itself in the decoder settings

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    https://github.com/USBhost/MX_FFmpeg is my modified source where i'm building from
    You can download recent codecs here ( GitHub releases ) and 1.35.0-1.8.6 here ( Google Drive ).
    Also the XDA download tab is no longer updated as for some reason I cant remove them.

INSTRUCTIONS
    1. Check which version you need by going to Local Player Settings/Decoder/General
    in the Custom Codec tab it will tell you which one is needed (x86,x86_64,neon,neon64/ARMv8).
    Note: skip step 1 if your using aio (all in one) version
    2. Download the one you need (No need to unzip it)
    3. Go back to Local Player Settings/Decoder/General
    and tap the Custom Codec tab then select the version you downloaded. DONE!
    Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) :

What's the difference between MX Player Codec Packs on Google Play and Custom Codec?
    MX Player Codec Pack not only contains ffmpeg library, It contains many other libraries required to work properly. If you download MX Player from Google Play mostly it will contain the required libraries according to your device architecture. You have to install codec packs from Google Play only if MX Player asks to install. Custom codec is just a modified version of the ffmpeg library used in MX Player. It's modified to include support DTS/Dolby(ac3) audio tracks. So, Codec Pack is mandatory if MX Player asks to install it. Custom Codec is optional and It's required only if you want to play the videos with DTS & Dolby (AC3) audio tacks

Why Custom Codec is not updated even though MX Player is updated?
    In Many occasions MX Player may updated without any changes to ffmpeg library. So, Custom Codec will also remain same. The custom codec version required will be directly forced by the player itself. So no need to worry about it. If it's not compatible MX Player will not load at all.

How do I know that my Custom Codec is outdated & needs an update?
    Whenever MX Player is updated, It will check the custom codec version loaded. If it's outdated it will show a error message that shows "Custom Codec is out of date. Replace it with the new version". Otherwise there is no need to check this thread for the new Custom Codecs.
    Custom codecs for 1.9.8
    Update 1.13.0 is up!!!

1.13.0 ARMv8 codec is needed here as well, thank you !

Please, it any chance to get ARMv7 Neon codec for version 1.13 mx player? I have sony TV and its problem with EAC3 :-/ Need codec for this version.

It's up on Google Drive now!!! :angel: neon64 is our ARM64
    However I can't seem to upload them to XDA... I guess Brave does not like flash lol oh well.
    Edit: Its up on XDA as well now.