[FIX] Final fix for nonworking WIFI on unlocked ATT Atrix in some countries

Search This thread

crnkoj

Feb 16, 2011
So guys, here is a quick tutorial how to fix your nonworking wifi in certain countries. The problem for it not working is that motorolas wifi driver is missing some country codes ... i guess they still live 20-30 years back, if anyone has the will to do it, we might post on motos forums to change the driver int he upcoming updates/releases. Here is the link to working wifi drivers: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=V8TGAY0C
if anyone can host it on a better location, feel free to do so.
I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS TO YOUR PHONE, YOU OR TO ANYTHING THATS IN RELATION WITH THE PHONE OR YOU.
this tutorial will be for use with adb shell (if anyone wants to make a script or a batch or even cwm flashable out of it, be my guest, i dont really have the time and my knowledge is a tad limited in doing those things:) )
Prerequisites:
1.the wifix.zip
2.adb on your computer with at least some adb/linux terminal knowledge
3.rooted ATT Atrix (i tested it on mine thats from ATT and several others did too, dont know if anyone tried with the bell or other atrix's but im sure it should work)
4.some common sense
5. i assume you have am external sdcard aswell (if not swap the sdcard-ext for sdcard only to use the internal card)
Code:
TURN OFF WIFI in the settings/wireless networks menu
1.connect phone to computer with us on usb mass storage mode and without adb debugging, create a folder called wififix on your external sdcard, unzip and copy the three .bin files to that folder
2.do the safely remove on windows/linux and than change connection to none, disconnect usb, enable adb debugging and reconnect your phone to the usb
3. run cmd/terminal
4. write as follows, after each line press enter:
adb shell
su (allow su on your phones display if its the first time you are using adb with su)
mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p12 /system
rm /system/etc/firmware/wifi/*.bin
cp /sdcard-ext/wififix/*.bin /system/etc/firmware/wifi/
chown root /system/etc/firmware/wifi/*.bin
chgrp root /system/etc/firmware/wifi/*.bin
chmod 755 /system/etc/firmware/wifi/*.bin
reboot
5. let your phone reboot, disconnect usb, unlock phone, enter pin, enable wifi and its working.
Feel free to comment in the thread and help eachother with problems and ideas
Updated link due to request and megaupload being down, fee free to host it if you want to: http://filesave.me/file/13333/wififix-zip.html

Last edited:

crnkoj

Feb 16, 2011
lg optimus 2x /system dump
the driver itself is a tad older version as the one moto has, but everything works for me fine now, several other users reported the same. i wanted to use the driver from the UK atrix (from orange) but its identical with the one from the ATT atrix (even the nvram.txt has region US in and not UK ...), so for the time being this is the only way for a few of us to have a fully functional phone.

Last edited:

CyberPunk7t9

Aug 2, 2006
MN
and I was thinking how can wi-fi be related to country/location?!

because I remember in the old thread that several users from the same country (Qatar) reported the same problem.

I just sent an e-mail about your thread to one of those users who was in contact with me via e-mail while trouble-shooting his problem.

Thanks and gold luck.

genatsvale

Jan 28, 2009
Tbilisi
Does not work :(

on the line: chmod -R 0755 /system/etc/firmware/wifi

I get: Bad Mode

then I use: chmod 755 /system/etc/firmware/wifi/*.bin

and after reboot the same problem... WiFi appears for few seconds and gets lost :mad:

Reactions: vmitri

CyberPunk7t9

Aug 2, 2006
MN
crnkoj, since this is the case. do you think using the market enabler app to spoof the SIM carrier will make wifi work in non-supported countries?!

crnkoj

Feb 16, 2011
uhm, did you copy the files over properly? the thing is its working for me fine and several others have confirmed this to work. Honestly i dont know why it wouldnt work, did the method from akizakian work for you at least? with the modified and locked settings.db?

and after reboot the same problem... WiFi appears for few seconds and gets lost :mad:

crnkoj

Feb 16, 2011
Tried that, it wont help. Market enabler spoofs the mcc and mnc, which comes from the sim card itself. The problem here becomes once you have cellular signal and turn on wifi, at that point wifistatetracker request country code from the cellular network, sets it to the one in which country you are and than the driver doesnt reckognise the code and blocks wifi. If you would take lets say a german sim card and put it in in your country wifi still wouldnt work, if you would take your sim card go to germany, turn on wifi and it would work. im trying to get something solved int eh motorola forums but until now only one guy is responding (not sure if hes motorola staff or whatsoever).
crnkoj, since this is the case. do you think using the market enabler app to spoof the SIM carrier will make wifi work in non-supported countries?!

wargame1

Sep 13, 2010
Doha
Still doesnt work for me. I can see my wireless, and can connect to it. but if I try to go to the market, or anywhere using the browser.. nada

Reactions: TareX

crnkoj

Feb 16, 2011
uhm, but your laptop can use the wifi? is it any special encryption maybe, maybe you have to do vpn or stuff?
did you try ping from a terminal emulator?

Last edited:

jjwatmyself

Feb 7, 2009
So guys, here is a quick tutorial how to fix your nonworking wifi in certain countries. The problem for it not working is that motorolas wifi driver is missing some country codes ... i guess they still live 20-30 years back, if anyone has the will to do it, we might post on motos forums to change the driver int he upcoming updates/releases. Here is the link to working wifi drivers: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=V8TGAY0C
I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS TO YOUR PHONE, YOU OR TO ANYTHING THATS IN RELATION WITH THE PHONE OR YOU.
this tutorial will be for use with adb shell (if anyone wants to make a script or a batch or even cwm flashable out of it, be my guest, i dont really have the time and my knowledge is a tad limited in doing those things:) )
Prerequisites:
1.the wifix.zip
3.rooted ATT Atrix (i tested it on mine thats from ATT and several others did too, dont know if anyone tried with the bell or other atrix's but im sure it should work)
4.some common sense
5. i assume you have am external sdcard aswell (if not swap the sdcard-ext for sdcard only to use the internal card)
Code:
1.connect phone to computer with us on usb mass storage mode and without adb debugging, create a folder called wififix on your external sdcard, unzip and copy the three .bin files to that folder
2.do the safely remove on windows/linux and than change connection to none, disconnect usb, enable adb debugging and reconnect your phone to the usb
3. run cmd/terminal
adb shell
su (allow su on your phones display if its the first time you are using adb with su)
chmod -R 0755 /system/etc/firmware/wifi   (you can use chmod 755 /system/etc/firmware/wifi/*.bin )
reboot
5. let your phone reboot, disconnect usb, unlock phone, enter pin, enable wifi and its working.

I made an update.zip for CWM if you need it. THis way you just have to apply the update after SBF/root. It SHOULD work....I did not try it.

Contribute, collaborate, conquer!! Outstanding.

It just seems strange that the OS wouldn't let you choose your country, like most routers already do... or is that taboo? Is wifi on Android mobile/cellular dependent? If so... what think tank came up with that...? How does Windows (desktop) handle this? It's not like laptops don't go on airplanes and visit other countries!!! BTW I can't believe I had to specify 'desktop'... I was thinking/worried ... "What if someone thinks I mean Windows (phone)." Seriously... who has a Windows phone? Let me re-phase... Who would be reading this specific thread and have a windows phone?

Last edited:

shawnbuck

Retired Recognized Developer
Feb 23, 2011
NY

The fix for that is to switch the numbers and -R, chmod expects to the the numbers first.

Code:
chmod 0755 -R /system/etc/firmware/wifi

TareX

May 26, 2009
Halifax
Guys, before applying this method to my Bell Atrix (using it in Qatar, WiFi not working), I need to know:

1) Given it's a Bell Atrix, is there anything different I need to do?
2) Which root method should I use?
3) Did Bell's update fix this? Will this conflict with Bell's update? I'm planning to update my software once I get WiFi working.

Thanks

TareX

May 26, 2009
Halifax
NOT WORKING for me either.

Rooted using Gladroot.
Non-deodexed Bell Atrix.
Followed all instructions.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Prerequisites:
    1.the wifix.zip
    4.some common sense
    Code:
    3. run cmd/terminal
    adb shell
    chown root /system/etc/firmware/wifi/*.bin
    chgrp root /system/etc/firmware/wifi/*.bin
    chmod 755 /system/etc/firmware/wifi/*.bin
    reboot
    Updated link due to request and megaupload being down, fee free to host it if you want to: http://filesave.me/file/13333/wififix-zip.html
    I made an update.zip for CWM if you need it. THis way you just have to apply the update after SBF/root. It SHOULD work....I did not try it.
    Does not work :(

Still doesnt work for me. I can see my wireless, and can connect to it. but if I try to go to the market, or anywhere using the browser.. nada