{Answers} 2.20 Root Questions & Answers

Search This thread

abhipati

Jun 10, 2012
Littleton MA
I have seen so many thread with same questions all over in One X Q&A, so I have tried to pool all questions in one place and provide the answers.

Mod*- This should be in Q&A because i think people who do not read posts in General and come back and post questions in Q&A

First and Foremost

........................................Please please Read Read Read Read Read Read before you post or flash anything...................................................

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question 1 - How to root 2.20 firmware

Answer

If you want to do all this in more easy way (i.e using GUI) then i would recommend you to follow - [TOOL] HTC One X (Evita) All-In-One Toolkit V1.1 [10-28-12] [PERM ROOT][Noob-Proof]

Step 1 - Setup the environment which will help you in rooting your device

1) Download Android SDK from here {For Windows}

2) Download java if you need it - here

3) Only for windows - Download htc sync ( It will install necessary htc drivers) - Link

4) Just to check if htc drivers installed properly , open "C:\android-sdk\platform-tools" ( Or folder where adb and fastboot exists) then "Press shift + right click and select "Open command window here" ( open command prompt and cd "folder where adb and fastboot exists).

5) In command window type " adb devices" and see output - If you get output then htc drivers installed properly.

"Info - What to learn about more about adb then goto - [HOW-TO] Install & Use ADB tool | Android Debug Bridge | Drivers - Videos - Tutorial

Fastboot - Link"

You can skip step 4 & step 5 - These steps are only for verification .

6) Goto [ROOT] HTC One X AT&T 2.20 Firmware - X-Factor root exploit and follow the instructions there.

7) I hope you successfully rooted your device (If not look at the FAQ)

If you think above instructions are difficult to follow then - There is awesome guide by XsMagical [ROOT][2.20][hboot 1.14] One XL Bootloader unlock & Root guide

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question 2 - How to Installing custom recovery

1) You need follow the instructions listed here - Follow the instructions in this link http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=33179690 ( Thanks to GuyIncognito721)

I have further simplified the instructions which are listed in above link , so that they are more noobbbbb friendly (noobbbb - people who cannot read and follow instructions )

1) Download custom recovery, TWRP is preferred: http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/99

Info"""" Reason to use TWRP -
CWM does not officially support our device, and its just a port. Due to this, CWM has some serious and known problems. As already mentioned, USB mount doesn't work. Also, it has been known in some cases to cause some major issues with dialer and other phone functionality after flashing a ROM. Problems that persist even if you try flashing another ROM or restoring a backup. These problems are difficult (although not impossible) to fix, and a big headache.

TWRP officially supports our device, gets regular updates. Its fully working, and its recommended by almost all (if not all) our developers." (Thanks to redpoint73) """""

2) Make sure the file you downloaded "openrecovery-twrp-2.2.1.0-evita.img (for example) should be in same folder where adb and fasboot present ( How to make sure = You need to copy the file in the folder where adb and fasboot present)

Example - If you downloaded android sdk then the downloaded file should be in "C:\android-sdk\platform-tools" folder.

Look at twrprecovery1 - image in the attachment

3) Then open command prompt in the same folder ( by pressing shift+right click and select "open command window" here) or open command window and type cd C:\android-sdk\platform-tools (or change to directory where adb and fastboot exists)

4) Then Run the following command fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.3.1.0-evita.img (openrecovery-twrp-2.3.1.0-evita.img is the file name which you downloaded) in command prompt

5) Then run the command fastboot reboot in the command prompt (phone will reboot, so do not panic)

6) Run the following command after the phone is rebooted adb reboot recovery

7)You should be in the new TWRP recovery.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From here follow the instructions below to flash custom roms

Question 4 - How to flash Custom ROMS

Info - We have two development forums

1) Download the ROM of your choice on to your pc from above links

2) Once you downloaded the ROM of your choice, then extract the ROM.zip ( that mean you need to unzip it )

For example you downloaded CM10 -cm-10-20121012-NIGHTLY-evita and extracted it . Now you can see the boot.img in the folder you extracted. (( See the extract image in below ))

For example you downloaded Nocturnal Megre X rom and extracted it. Now you can see the boot.img in the folder you extracted. (( See the extract1 image in below ))

3) Now copy the boot.img from the extracted folder and paste in folder where fastboot and adb are present ( if you downloaded Android then paste it in C:\android-sdk\platform-tools )

Your folder where adb and fastboot present should now have boot.img of the ROM you extracted

4) Put phone into bootloader mode,

Either by opening command prompt in the same window where you placed boot.img (i.e where adb, fastboot is present) and running the command adb reboot bootloader in command prompt ( do not close the command prompt)

Or, since your phone is in recovery , select "Reboot" then Bootloader .

Note*- You always can get into bootloader by pressing power button + volume down for 10-15 sec. Also from there you can get into recovery by using volume keys to select recovery and pressing power button to enter into recovery

5) Once your phone is in bootloader mode, type the following command fastboot flash boot boot.img ( If command prompt is closed then open command prompt in the folder where boot.img, adb, fastboot are present . For example: C:\android-sdk\platform-tools - Same folder used in step 3)

5) Then run the following command adb reboot recovery

6) Your phone is in TWRP recovery

7) Select mount from recovery ( See mount - image in the attachments for example)

8) Copy the ROM.zip which you downloaded earlier to the SD card ( For example cm-10-20121012-NIGHTLY-evita.zip) ( Not the extracted folder but the actual zip file which you downloaded)

4) Copy the gapps into sd card ( you need to download gapps if you using CM10 or ASOP roms )

5) Unmount, then select Wipe and select Factory reset ( it is recommended to do a factory reset before flashing the new ROM. ) (See wipe, wipe1 images below )

6) Select Install in recovery and flash the ROM.zip

7) You need flash gapps if you flashing CM10 or ASOP ROMS

8) Enjoy

1) If you keep getting htc red screen ( saying " This Build is for development only") then it does not mean you bricked your device. It means you forgot to flash boot.img or missed some step

2) if you are flashing similar ROMs ( having same kernel ).. there is no need to flash boot.img separately. But say if you wanna switch from sense to aosp you must do that as they have different kernels.

Again if you are just upgrading from older version to newer version of same ROM and if there are no kernel changes no need to flash it" (thanks kancherlapraneeth)

3) Another scenario, if you struck in boot for every long and you panicked and you did factory reset. After you can access only twrp recovery then do not worry, do the following

"plug in phone to your computer and enter twrp, choose "mount". Get on your computer and download Rom of choice. Once downloaded, extract Rom and seperate the boot.img. rezip Rom. Transfer Rom onto phone.

fastboot boot.img, then flash the Rom through twrp. Then your golden" (Thanks to InflatedTitan) ( Do not understand fastboot , boot.img then read above)

4) If you flashed an internation rom or rom which is not for our device and bricked your device then follow this link , the OP has similar problem and people helped him

5)Which version of super user do I need to flash [/B

In above instructions, after you installed Custom recovery you flashed custom ROM then you already have it ( since you rooted) , so check the root with app called root checker.

"If your on stock with twrp installed then it was a temp root, so root is gone after you reboot, but it allowed for a permanent boot loader unlock. So you will need to flash an su binary package and then download a superuser app from the play store." (thanks to absolutelygrim) (Case where you did not unlock the bootloader but just rooted and rebooted. ) then download http://downloads.androidsu.com/superuser/su-bin-3.1.1-arm-signed.zip (Superuser zip ) and flash in recovery ( same way we flash custom ROM or gapps.) then download supersu from the market and update the binaries

Attachments

• twrprecovery1.jpg
    twrprecovery1.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 1,459
  • mount.jpg
    mount.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 1,440
  • extract.jpg
    extract.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 1,362
  • reboot.jpg
    reboot.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 1,287
  • wipe.jpg
    wipe.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,332
  • wipe1.jpg
    wipe1.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 1,265
Last edited:

omario8484

Apr 24, 2012
bay area
I find this a good idea.... I feel we should sticky things like this in the q/a and not have one hundred threads of the same problem...like this stickied... We could have different popular subjects stickied and so not so many threads would arise

---------- Post added at 05:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:13 PM ----------

This is like a all in one thread good job!

Reactions: abhipati

InflatedTitan

Jul 7, 2012
OnePlus 9 Pro
Bro you did a damn good job on this. If a noob can't follow this, he doesn't need to be hacking anything. I mean for god sakes you've included pictures lol. Even though you've included steps and the fastboot commands, What about adding a link to gunnyman's quick anb dirty adb and fastboot tutorial? Rich in knowledge

sent from my venom injected, blazingly fast as f#&k OneXL via xda premium

abhipati

Jun 10, 2012
Littleton MA
Bro you did a damn good job on this. If a noob can't follow this, he doesn't need to be hacking anything. I mean for god sakes you've included pictures lol. Even though you've included steps and the fastboot commands, What about adding a link to gunnyman's quick anb dirty adb and fastboot tutorial? Rich in knowledge

Thanks bro, I forgot about that tutorial . I will add it now

InflatedTitan

Jul 7, 2012
OnePlus 9 Pro
I gotta say, I'm proud of our little community. I really haven't seen any harsh words or flaming of the recent wave of noobs, even though a lot of problems could have been easily avoidable on their part. Great job for those who have helped someone recently. I'm sure those in need appreciated it, even if they haven't hit the thanks button. They'll soon see how great the HOXLers are!

abhipati

Jun 10, 2012
Littleton MA
I gotta say, I'm proud of our little community. I really haven't seen any harsh words or flaming of the recent wave of noobs, even though a lot of problems could have been easily avoidable on their part. Great job for those who have helped someone recently. I'm sure those in need appreciated it, even if they haven't hit the thanks button. They'll soon see how great the HOXLers are!

+1 bro really we are awesome community who keep helping without ranting or flaming

Sent from my HTC One XL using xda premium

omario8484

Apr 24, 2012
bay area

This probably is the most friendly community I've seen on xda..flaming only appears here when obviously deserved ...but holy critters I don't know how many bricked threads j saw when I woke up yesterday

subarudroid

Jun 18, 2011
SL,UT
Well done :) this should be put in the recourse, compilation roll-up.

Sent from my One X using xda premium

Last edited:
Reactions: abhipati

thinkhope

Jun 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Amazing write up. This would have helped me tremendously but I managed to figure it out late last night.

Definitely appreciate people like you, and developers, that take time out of their "real" lives to do things like this for the benefit of others. Thanks!

Sent from my One X

Reactions: InflatedTitan

Green1534

Oct 27, 2012
Hey, I'm a newbie but loving it. If I root my One X will I still be able to get the HTC jellybean update?

Thanks!

ul49

Jun 6, 2012
Trying to install ROM (CM10) and Gapps through TWRP and it fails to install. Says E: Unable to mount '/sdcard' and E:Unable to mount storage.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have seen so many thread with same questions all over in One X Q&A, so I have tried to pool all questions in one place and provide the answers.

Mod*- This should be in Q&A because i think people who do not read posts in General and come back and post questions in Q&A

First and Foremost

........................................Please please Read Read Read Read Read Read before you post or flash anything...................................................

Question 1 - How to root 2.20 firmware

Answer

If you want to do all this in more easy way (i.e using GUI) then i would recommend you to follow - [TOOL] HTC One X (Evita) All-In-One Toolkit V1.1 [10-28-12] [PERM ROOT][Noob-Proof]

Step 1 - Setup the environment which will help you in rooting your device

1) Download Android SDK from here {For Windows}

2) Download java if you need it - here

3) Only for windows - Download htc sync ( It will install necessary htc drivers) - Link

4) Just to check if htc drivers installed properly , open "C:\android-sdk\platform-tools" ( Or folder where adb and fastboot exists) then "Press shift + right click and select "Open command window here" ( open command prompt and cd "folder where adb and fastboot exists).

5) In command window type " adb devices" and see output - If you get output then htc drivers installed properly.

"Info - What to learn about more about adb then goto - [HOW-TO] Install & Use ADB tool | Android Debug Bridge | Drivers - Videos - Tutorial

Fastboot - Link"

You can skip step 4 & step 5 - These steps are only for verification .

6) Goto [ROOT] HTC One X AT&T 2.20 Firmware - X-Factor root exploit and follow the instructions there.

7) I hope you successfully rooted your device (If not look at the FAQ)

If you think above instructions are difficult to follow then - There is awesome guide by XsMagical [ROOT][2.20][hboot 1.14] One XL Bootloader unlock & Root guide

Question 2 - How to Installing custom recovery

1) You need follow the instructions listed here - Follow the instructions in this link http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=33179690 ( Thanks to GuyIncognito721)

I have further simplified the instructions which are listed in above link , so that they are more noobbbbb friendly (noobbbb - people who cannot read and follow instructions )

1) Download custom recovery, TWRP is preferred: http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/99

Info"""" Reason to use TWRP -
    CWM does not officially support our device, and its just a port. Due to this, CWM has some serious and known problems. As already mentioned, USB mount doesn't work. Also, it has been known in some cases to cause some major issues with dialer and other phone functionality after flashing a ROM. Problems that persist even if you try flashing another ROM or restoring a backup. These problems are difficult (although not impossible) to fix, and a big headache.

TWRP officially supports our device, gets regular updates. Its fully working, and its recommended by almost all (if not all) our developers." (Thanks to redpoint73) """""

2) Make sure the file you downloaded "openrecovery-twrp-2.2.1.0-evita.img (for example) should be in same folder where adb and fasboot present ( How to make sure = You need to copy the file in the folder where adb and fasboot present)

Example - If you downloaded android sdk then the downloaded file should be in "C:\android-sdk\platform-tools" folder.

Look at twrprecovery1 - image in the attachment

3) Then open command prompt in the same folder ( by pressing shift+right click and select "open command window" here) or open command window and type cd C:\android-sdk\platform-tools (or change to directory where adb and fastboot exists)

4) Then Run the following command fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.3.1.0-evita.img (openrecovery-twrp-2.3.1.0-evita.img is the file name which you downloaded) in command prompt

5) Then run the command fastboot reboot in the command prompt (phone will reboot, so do not panic)

6) Run the following command after the phone is rebooted adb reboot recovery

7)You should be in the new TWRP recovery.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From here follow the instructions below to flash custom roms

Question 4 - How to flash Custom ROMS

Info - We have two development forums

1) Download the ROM of your choice on to your pc from above links

2) Once you downloaded the ROM of your choice, then extract the ROM.zip ( that mean you need to unzip it )

For example you downloaded CM10 -cm-10-20121012-NIGHTLY-evita and extracted it . Now you can see the boot.img in the folder you extracted. (( See the extract image in below ))

For example you downloaded Nocturnal Megre X rom and extracted it. Now you can see the boot.img in the folder you extracted. (( See the extract1 image in below ))

3) Now copy the boot.img from the extracted folder and paste in folder where fastboot and adb are present ( if you downloaded Android then paste it in C:\android-sdk\platform-tools )

Your folder where adb and fastboot present should now have boot.img of the ROM you extracted

4) Put phone into bootloader mode,

Either by opening command prompt in the same window where you placed boot.img (i.e where adb, fastboot is present) and running the command adb reboot bootloader in command prompt ( do not close the command prompt)

Or, since your phone is in recovery , select "Reboot" then Bootloader .

Note*- You always can get into bootloader by pressing power button + volume down for 10-15 sec. Also from there you can get into recovery by using volume keys to select recovery and pressing power button to enter into recovery

5) Once your phone is in bootloader mode, type the following command fastboot flash boot boot.img ( If command prompt is closed then open command prompt in the folder where boot.img, adb, fastboot are present . For example: C:\android-sdk\platform-tools - Same folder used in step 3)

5) Then run the following command adb reboot recovery

6) Your phone is in TWRP recovery

7) Select mount from recovery ( See mount - image in the attachments for example)

8) Copy the ROM.zip which you downloaded earlier to the SD card ( For example cm-10-20121012-NIGHTLY-evita.zip) ( Not the extracted folder but the actual zip file which you downloaded)

4) Copy the gapps into sd card ( you need to download gapps if you using CM10 or ASOP roms )

5) Unmount, then select Wipe and select Factory reset ( it is recommended to do a factory reset before flashing the new ROM. ) (See wipe, wipe1 images below )

6) Select Install in recovery and flash the ROM.zip

7) You need flash gapps if you flashing CM10 or ASOP ROMS

8) Enjoy

1) If you keep getting htc red screen ( saying " This Build is for development only") then it does not mean you bricked your device. It means you forgot to flash boot.img or missed some step

2) if you are flashing similar ROMs ( having same kernel ).. there is no need to flash boot.img separately. But say if you wanna switch from sense to aosp you must do that as they have different kernels.

Again if you are just upgrading from older version to newer version of same ROM and if there are no kernel changes no need to flash it" (thanks kancherlapraneeth)

3) Another scenario, if you struck in boot for every long and you panicked and you did factory reset. After you can access only twrp recovery then do not worry, do the following

"plug in phone to your computer and enter twrp, choose "mount". Get on your computer and download Rom of choice. Once downloaded, extract Rom and seperate the boot.img. rezip Rom. Transfer Rom onto phone.

fastboot boot.img, then flash the Rom through twrp. Then your golden" (Thanks to InflatedTitan) ( Do not understand fastboot , boot.img then read above)

4) If you flashed an internation rom or rom which is not for our device and bricked your device then follow this link , the OP has similar problem and people helped him

5)Which version of super user do I need to flash [/B

In above instructions, after you installed Custom recovery you flashed custom ROM then you already have it ( since you rooted) , so check the root with app called root checker.

"If your on stock with twrp installed then it was a temp root, so root is gone after you reboot, but it allowed for a permanent boot loader unlock. So you will need to flash an su binary package and then download a superuser app from the play store." (thanks to absolutelygrim) (Case where you did not unlock the bootloader but just rooted and rebooted. ) then download http://downloads.androidsu.com/superuser/su-bin-3.1.1-arm-signed.zip (Superuser zip ) and flash in recovery ( same way we flash custom ROM or gapps.) then download supersu from the market and update the binaries
    Anyone correct if I wrote something wrong or need to be changed.

Mods - Delete if you find it unnecessary

+1 bro really we are awesome community who keep helping without ranting or flaming

Sent from my HTC One XL using xda premium