Quadrant scores?

Search This thread

ilbulgaro89

Dec 1, 2009
Milan
www.androidblog.it
I know that quandrant is not a good benchmark because the results depends on the hardware installed (CPU qualcomm or samsung or TI OMAP), but my question is:
Desire S in quadrant advanced reach a score of 3000 in the CPU section; the xperia arc, with the same CPU reach a score of 5500 in the cpu section. They are both on gingerbread....so why this difference?
Also the desire HD with froyo and the same Qualcomm CPU reach a 5500 score...
I can't uderstaind!

sorry 4 my english

liljom

Mar 13, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
My wife just got her Des S, and Mega jump is lagging

Quadrant score is 1000-1200

how can it happen with an Adreno 205 inside?
it has 1.28.401.1 ROM on it. do you experience it with other ROMs too?

RogerPodacter

Apr 12, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
i gave my opinion of why the lower scores in this thread here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1036668

basically there has been a general trend on most phones that gingerbread performs lower than froyo on benchmark tests and performance. this is certainly been my experience. and since the desire s is running gingerbread, while the desire HD is running froyo (i think, right?), that is your answer right there...

titus1

Feb 14, 2010
Since the Desire S is the "first" device from HTC dressed in Gingerbread...can we safely say that it wasn't an optimized Gingy version that HTC brought up?

If all the Desire family get their Gingerbread update (Classic, HD, Z) and did perform well in benchmarking, that would leave Desire S...????

liljom

Mar 13, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
i gave my opinion of why the lower scores in this thread here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1036668

basically there has been a general trend on most phones that gingerbread performs lower than froyo on benchmark tests and performance. this is certainly been my experience. and since the desire s is running gingerbread, while the desire HD is running froyo (i think, right?), that is your answer right there...

you are right :)
I run Gingerbread on my DHD, and the Quadrant is lower :)
I thought it's because we don't have the gingerbread sources for DHD, and we don't have the right drivers
but still, DHD has 1500-1600 in Quadrant (compare to 1200) with DS 1.28 port :/ and that's a big difference with the same CPU, GPU

ilbulgaro89

Dec 1, 2009
Milan
www.androidblog.it
you are right :)
I run Gingerbread on my DHD, and the Quadrant is lower :)
I thought it's because we don't have the gingerbread sources for DHD, and we don't have the right drivers
but still, DHD has 1500-1600 in Quadrant (compare to 1200) with DS 1.28 port :/ and that's a big difference with the same CPU, GPU

i ask it in this thread for this reason: dhd has an higher results with desire s gingebread porting......a my friend has in test a developer version of incredible s with gingerbread 2.3.3 and his quadrant score is 1450 (higher than desire s...but with same hardware)

RogerPodacter

Apr 12, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
i ask it in this thread for this reason: dhd has an higher results with desire s gingebread porting......a my friend has in test a developer version of incredible s with gingerbread 2.3.3 and his quadrant score is 1450 (higher than desire s...but with same hardware)

well maybe your friend's incredible s is overclocked, or he has some other type of customization that you are not aware of. because what i am trying to say is that, stock 2.2 vs stock 2.3, there is a performance and quadrant drop, significantly. stock 2.3 may get around 1250 quadrant, and stock froyo may get around 1650 quadrant. i get 1200 on 2.3, but i can over clock to maximum and get 1400. but somethign still isnt right, because i could over clock on 2.2 and get 1700.

also, people say quadrant scores are meaningless. but this has gotten mis interpreted on the web. quadrant scores are meaningless BETWEEN DIFFERENT PHONE MODELS. but quadrant definitely has meanign within the same device. so if your device runs 1600 on 2.2, then 1200 on 2.3, that is a meaningful piece of data. benchmark shows the ability of your phone to do various tasks like scroll a list, load some html or javascript, or parse a bunch of data. so it annoys me when others (not in this thread) say quadrant is meaningless. what the original statement meant was that lower device A could be optimized very well to be smooth, while higher device B could be better hardware, but optimized poorly to not be smooth, and a benchmark would not tell this story. i agree wtih that. but not within the same device i dont:D

i also see slower choppy scrolling in 2.3, for example tapatalk threads and lists were smooth in 2.2, but choppy and chunky in 2.3, etc. and the benchmark seems to agree with that.

ilbulgaro89

Dec 1, 2009
Milan
www.androidblog.it
well maybe your friend's incredible s is overclocked, or he has some other type of customization that you are not aware of. because what i am trying to say is that, stock 2.2 vs stock 2.3, there is a performance and quadrant drop, significantly. stock 2.3 may get around 1250 quadrant, and stock froyo may get around 1650 quadrant. i get 1200 on 2.3, but i can over clock to maximum and get 1400. but somethign still isnt right, because i could over clock on 2.2 and get 1700.

also, people say quadrant scores are meaningless. but this has gotten mis interpreted on the web. quadrant scores are meaningless BETWEEN DIFFERENT PHONE MODELS. but quadrant definitely has meanign within the same device. so if your device runs 1600 on 2.2, then 1200 on 2.3, that is a meaningful piece of data. benchmark shows the ability of your phone to do various tasks like scroll a list, load some html or javascript, or parse a bunch of data. so it annoys me when others (not in this thread) say quadrant is meaningless. what the original statement meant was that lower device A could be optimized very well to be smooth, while higher device B could be better hardware, but optimized poorly to not be smooth, and a benchmark would not tell this story. i agree wtih that. but not within the same device i dont:D

i also see slower choppy scrolling in 2.3, for example tapatalk threads and lists were smooth in 2.2, but choppy and chunky in 2.3, etc. and the benchmark seems to agree with that.

my friend's incredible s is a stock phone updated to Gingerbread via OTA today...without any type of hack...incredible s is not rooted!

njd

Feb 27, 2011
East Yorkshire
My understanding was that Gingerbread is quite a bit slower than Froyo in Quadrant tests.
In real use though, it seems fine.

I suppose we'll have more idea when 2.3.3 upgrades become available for devices currently running 2.2.x.

dont know

Feb 12, 2009
I suppose we'll have more idea when 2.3.3 upgrades become available for devices currently running 2.2.x.

On htc-hero score was equal on 2.2 and 2.3 (both overclocked CM-ROMs)

On my NexuS with 2.3 I have scores about 2500 @ 1GHz (and crazy >3000 @ 1,4GHz)

On the DesireS I only get 1200 @ 1Ghz (equal performance gov or ondemand)

Wired is the totaly different fps: desireS has 50fps at the "planet3D" where Nexus has only 20fps; in the "doom3D" it is vice versa

But in everyday use there is no big difference - I tend to sell the NexuS, but really not sure wich phone I should keep..