Radio and modem questions

Search This thread

garydv2002

Feb 14, 2012
OK since this is a question I'm assuming that I post this here so if I'm wrong sorry. And I have searched for answers to these questions on xda and Google and if info is out there I can't find it so if someone knows where it is point me in the right direction and I'll read the info myself as I'm not to lazy to research info when I can find it now that that's out of the way my questions are as follows...
1. What does the modem in my phone control the wifi or data and basically what does it do? The quick version will be fine.
2. What does the radio do and controll? Quick version OK.
I just updated to the latest ics leak that came out a couple of days ago I think it UCLD2 correct me if I got that version wrong. I've also tried UCALC4 and with neither I get many bars. On gingerbread I got 2 or 3 bars in my home recliner with UCALC4 I got 1 and with UCLD2 this new leak I get 0. I've read flashing the galaxy note radio will fix this if so I need a link to that radio with instructions on flashing it in cwm. And if that radio does not fix the problem can I flash back to this one or maybe a gingerbread one?
And lastley I'm getting a notification at the bottom of my screen every few minutes that says connected to belkin wifi etc. I did not get this on gingerbread is this also a radio problem or a modem problem or a tottaly different issue? And what can I do to fix it? Should I just restore the backup of gingerbread I made and wait for the official update whatever year that may be lol?
Thanks ahead of time for any help or advice...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using XDA

icenight89

Dec 18, 2010
I typed "android phone modem" in Google and got an answer on the first page, I'm sorry but I highly doubt u searched anything. None the less, as a new user I will spoon feed u this one time ;)

Radio and modem are interchangeable terms used on CDs to basically describe the firmware used to control your phones cellular radio. Different firmwares enable different functions and frequencies. Basically with no modem, u have no cell data, or signal. No calling, no texting, nothing

UCLCL5 has been pulled due to it causing too many instability issues. getting a phone that works with it is luck of the draw. Use leeC UCLA3 radio for ics instead

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=24227420

Last edited:
Reactions: garydv2002

garydv2002

Feb 14, 2012
Sorry but I typed in cell phone modem and of course with that all I got was ways to connect your PC to the internet thru the cell phone. Didn't think about putting android in cause I figured modem would be in all phones oh well I will try that too see what I come up with. I'm in a real wooded very rural area so im not sure if the radio is the main problem I do know other phones like pan tech link a non smart phone gets full signal here but none of our android phones do. My main concern is the wifi saying connected every few minutes and my connection seeming like its slower that problem I did not have on gingerbread or UCALC4 is anyone else having these issues on the new leak

garydv2002

Feb 14, 2012
OK I flashed that modem that you gave me the link to then rebooted and BAM!!!!!! Instant signal bars... Thanks man you are awesome and I may be a noober but I'm learning a lot fast thanks to guys like you. I am a computer programmer/web developer/ net worker but phones are new to me but I'm learning in many ways there similar but in other ways miles apart... But thanks again.. oh yea by the way in baseband version it says UCALC4 but in build number it says UCLD2 but the modem I flashed said UCLA3 so I'm not sure what that's all about but its working so if it ain't broke you don't go messing with it...

icenight89

Dec 18, 2010
yeah, you'll learn about that as u go along, but they're basically different build numbers. UCLD2 is the newest, UCLA4 is the previous ics leak build, and UCLA3 is actually a gingerbread radio (2.3.6), but it works really well.

If I helped I u, and if others do in the future, hit the thanks button! :D

chappatti

Sep 3, 2007
I typed "android phone modem" in Google and got an answer on the first page, I'm sorry but I highly doubt u searched anything. None the less, as a new user I will spoon feed u this one time ;)

Radio and modem are interchangeable terms used on CDs to basically describe the firmware used to control your phones cellular radio. Different firmwares enable different functions and frequencies. Basically with no modem, u have no cell data, or signal. No calling, no texting, nothing

UCLCL5 has been pulled due to it causing too many instability issues. getting a phone that works with it is luck of the draw. Use leeC UCLA3 radio for ics instead

UCLA3 ?? You mean UCLA4? Seriously, I would like to use UCLA3 on ICS if I can, but the link you post is UCLA4. I am searching........but if you know please advise.

THANKS.

icenight89

Dec 18, 2010
UCLA3 ?? You mean UCLA4? Seriously, I would like to use UCLA3 on ICS if I can, but the link you post is UCLA4. I am searching........but if you know please advise.

THANKS.

Wrong. The downloadable link in the last post on that page is by leeC, ics_rogers_base.zip, and its ucla3. its what I'm using right now with ics

garydv2002

Feb 14, 2012
It's from stock rogers GB but works on ICS. I flashed on my phone and it still shows I727UCALC4 but the baseband file is indeed the old UCAL3 one.
That is a quote straight from that forum post. Even though it says ucalc4 it is ucal3. Read the whole forum posts and you will find out a lot more info

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium

scott14719

Dec 24, 2011

THANKS.

Wrong. The downloadable link in the last post on that page is by leeC, ics_rogers_base.zip, and its ucla3. its what I'm using right now with ics

That is a quote straight from that forum post. Even though it says ucalc4 it is ucal3. Read the whole forum posts and you will find out a lot more info

Yep, I used LeeC's UCLA3 modem for a good while. I tried the others but kept going back to it for the connectivity. Of course, everyone's phone and conditions differ so you have to try anything for yourself before you know if it is going to work for you. Like mentioned, it will probably show "Unknown" for a baseband, but it works. I am using the latest ICS modem (UCLD2) now with the Alien 7 ICS ROM and it seems to work just as well as the UCLA3 modem did for me.

+1 my wifi is even much faster and alot better range on ucld2 radio. Ucld2 is in every aspect. Far superior
Smoother. Faster. Less bugs
And easier to build from
I built my new rom. The ucld2 one. And did the themeing. In 1 afternoon.
Of course i have a great setup i ended up with from dealing with. The other leak. But i still say its much more refined

Last edited:

garydv2002

Feb 14, 2012
The UCLA3 modem worked good for me no doubt but as you said every phone is different and I like to try new things and stay cutting edge so I flashed the UCLC5 modem out of the galaxy note and my download speeds are faster with it but like you said it seems to depend on the phone itself and I would suggest anyone who is gonna try a new modem to try each one for a day or two to see which one is the right fit for your specific phone...

xcrazydx

Feb 3, 2012
That note radio is screwing up a lot of peoples phones. I would stay far away from that one

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

scott14719

Dec 24, 2011
That note radio is screwing up a lot of peoples phones. I would stay far away from that one

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Yea, it worked OK for me (a few fc's in the background) but nothing major, but I too have read about the troubles some people get from the Note modem. Like you said, its probably not worth the gamble...especially now that UCLd2 modem is out.

garydv2002

Feb 14, 2012
Scott can you post a link to a zip file for the UCLD2 modem. The post I seen it in the other day I can't find now. I lost all my favorite XDA forum posts when I upgraded to premium. I want to try it on my wife's captivate just for an experiment.....

scott14719

Dec 24, 2011
Scott can you post a link to a zip file for the UCLD2 modem. The post I seen it in the other day I can't find now. I lost all my favorite XDA forum posts when I upgraded to premium. I want to try it on my wife's captivate just for an experiment.....

The version of the UCLD2 radio I am using can be found in the "Alien 7 ICS" thread in the DEV section. romracer posted it in the OP so be sure to thank him for it...it is his work.

Here is the link to the Alien 7 ICS thread..

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1608088

SeanZscreams posted another version and it is his work so be sure to thank him if you use it.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1600420

They are both the same modem, but I'm not sure if they were cooked differently or not.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

yeah, you'll learn about that as u go along, but they're basically different build numbers. UCLD2 is the newest, UCLA4 is the previous ics leak build, and UCLA3 is actually a gingerbread radio (2.3.6), but it works really well.

If I helped I u, and if others do in the future, hit the thanks button! :D

The version of the UCLD2 radio I am using can be found in the "Alien 7 ICS" thread in the DEV section. romracer posted it in the OP so be sure to thank him for it...it is his work.

Here is the link to the Alien 7 ICS thread..

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1608088

SeanZscreams posted another version and it is his work so be sure to thank him if you use it.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1600420

They are both the same modem, but I'm not sure if they were cooked differently or not.