[Q] Bug in audio drivers? (FW 12070)

Search This thread

_Madmatt

Jul 3, 2009
Hello,

I found that there is a bug in the audio drivers. At least, I suspect it to be in the audio drivers. I'm on Firmware 1600.2487.8107.12070 and OS 7.10.8107.79
When I'm listening to music and texting (it hasn't happened when doing something else) the phone sometimes completely locks up. Music playback stops, and the only thing I can do, is restarting it. Then, sometimes text messages get lost... This is frustrating as it happens more and more. It doesn't happen when I'm not listening to music, so I suspect it to be a audio driver problem, because I'm texting all day long.
Someone else who experiences this?

MadMatt

Maszt

Sep 14, 2008
Warsaw
I have experienced this once. But I don't remember if I was sending messeage, or something else, but it happen while playing music (It was frozen - lcd was displaying same thing, and only soft reset helped)

hawc1506

Jan 31, 2009
Bellevue, WA
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I've been getting this problem for the past few days. It happens to me when I'm listening to music while texting, reading PDF files, browsing the internet, etc. Basically when I'm listening to music while in another program.

_Madmatt

Jul 3, 2009
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I've been getting this problem for the past few days. It happens to me when I'm listening to music while texting, reading PDF files, browsing the internet, etc. Basically when I'm listening to music while in another program.

Those are all heavy tasks. This might indicate an out of memory problem. NOKIA, are you listening? I hope this will be fixed soon, as it's very annoying.

Briefcase

Nov 10, 2009
It seems like a lot of new roms with the new 12120 firmware have hit the nokia firmware repositories. No official release notes are available at the moment but I think it is a save bet that the audio bug has been fixed since there is a lot to find about this bug at the official Nokia community forum. It will (based on the version number, 8773) also contain windows phone tango (Windows Phone 7.5 Refresh) and bring support for Internet Sharing (strong remour).

If you can't wait you could always try the new firmware by downloading with Navifirm+ and then flash it with Nokia Care Suite. There is a lot of info about this subject at this forum, not hard to find. Please not that you will loose all info on your phone (except from what is stored in the cloud such as your contact list) because your phone is erased. If you don't want this, please wait for the update to be rolled out through Zune, that way you will keep all data.

Based on history, the Zune update will start to roll out in a week or two. Zune updates are processed in stages, phones belonging to the latest stage will (again based on history) receive the zune update in a month or two.

Good luck.

peseta

Feb 18, 2008
I've had twice that my phone hanged while making a call. But my phone didn't have any heavy task to do or play any music.
In both cases the phone had been on for several days without use (in flight mode, it's my second phone besides a Galaxy Note) and it was the first call after deactivating flight mode. The phone freezes at the moment of connecting and only rebooting by pressing the on/off button for a very long time solves the problem.

Briefcase

Nov 10, 2009
Where do you see those ROMs for the Lumia 800? Latest Firmware I can see on NaviFirm+ is 12070 :-(

My bad, I see that firmware is actually for the Lumia 800C (RM-802), which is the Chinese version. Yesterday there were only 2 versions of 12120 available for the Lumia 710 (RM-80) and now there are 7 more though. So I think it will hit the Lumia 800 (RM-801) very soon.

Marvin_S

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 8, 2010
I can confirm not just that but that there are also performance bugs in the audio driver. The 710 is capable of 10ms less audio latency than the 800. (30 ms vs 40 ms) tested with silverlight audio Apis on 16 bit 44.1 mono wav files.

Which is quite weird, I have not tested this on the previous firmware version, just on the latest. So they screwed up something. You would expect them both to perform equal, a difference of 10ms is just a lot...

Its by no way a scientific conclusion, its just a conclusion from practical use (testing low latency audio app).

_Madmatt

Jul 3, 2009
If you can't wait you could always try the new firmware by downloading with Navifirm+ and then flash it with Nokia Care Suite. There is a lot of info about this subject at this forum, not hard to find. Please not that you will loose all info on your phone (except from what is stored in the cloud such as your contact list) because your phone is erased. If you don't want this, please wait for the update to be rolled out through Zune, that way you will keep all data.

I'll wait untill the CAB file leaks, I don't like losing all my data. Thanks for the information.

I can confirm not just that but that there are also performance bugs in the audio driver. The 710 is capable of 10ms less audio latency than the 800. (30 ms vs 40 ms) tested with silverlight audio Apis on 16 bit 44.1 mono wav files.

Which is quite weird, I have not tested this on the previous firmware version, just on the latest. So they screwed up something. You would expect them both to perform equal, a difference of 10ms is just a lot...

Its by no way a scientific conclusion, its just a conclusion from practical use (testing low latency audio app).

It is however weird indeed. They really messed up the audio drivers... We have the volume bug and the phone completely freezing... What's next?

knave

Mar 28, 2007
Anyone tried playing music with headphones, ringer on, and someone calls you?
The playback volume of your ringtone will jump a notch for 2 secs before it returned back to your normal volume.

Be careful when you try this! Dun damage your ears.

_Madmatt

Jul 3, 2009
Anyone tried playing music with headphones, ringer on, and someone calls you?
The playback volume of your ringtone will jump a notch for 2 secs before it returned back to your normal volume.

Be careful when you try this! Dun damage your ears.

Yes, this is another bug in the audio. There are (at least) two bugs in there.

knave

Mar 28, 2007
I had another weird bug today.

Was playing music with headset on, and navigating with the gMap Pro. As you can imagine, the phone gets a bit hot with all that processing. Just then I decided to make a call and unplug the ear phones.

I managed to make the call but the ear piece is very soft despite volume at max 10. So thinking its a call issue, I ended the call and retried. Same problem. Rebooted the phone this time and tried. No go...

After like 20mins, I tried again and this time it works loud and clear. I'm thinking if the speaker somehow couldn't output in correct volume when it's hot?

Marvin_S

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 8, 2010
It is however weird indeed. They really messed up the audio drivers... We have the volume bug and the phone completely freezing... What's next?

Yeah indeed.

I thought I was the only one, but my IE9 keeps crashing constantly and the Phone freezes up a lot. The 710 does not do this (as far as I could test it)…
Nor did the Omnia7 ever do this.

The video drivers are bad (stuttery video) and now I could measure the audio performance (and having 25% more latency), touch screen jittering etc. I really wonder why they messed up on the 800 but did fine on the 710. The 800 is the flagship in Europe why is it not being prioritized?

Anyway there are enough rumours of a new update coming up so hopefully that one will not just deal with the camera but also update the video, audio and radio drivers (to reduce rapid battery drains on bad 3G signal).

Its an amazingly nice device, sadly has quite some bugs :) its like we are the beta testers for the 900 actually ;).

Last edited:

Sunrazor

Apr 27, 2011
Same thing here. Lumia 800 locks up while playing music in Zune. Doesn't happen often but still annoying. I think Microsoft beleives this happens only on HTC devices according to their forums but it doesn't.