[APP] OSkin: share your homescreen (like Themer but released) [23 sept 13]

Search This thread

snoopy33

Nov 27, 2005
OSkin
Share your homescreen

OSkin is a new application to copy an entire Homescreen (wallpaper, widgets, home configuration...) from one device to another.

Get the application

1. The application is in beta, to get it register to this Google+ community
  2. Click the link provided there to be a beta tester.
  3. After that, you will get the beta version on the Play Store.
Why there is no APK attached to the first post?
As OSkin is still in beta under development, I really need that users have the last available version installed. The only way to guaranty that is to use the Play Store which will push the last version all the time to everyone.
Registering as a beta user on the Play Store takes less than 1mn and is free, so if you are interested, do it.

Purpose

Most of you should know the website http://mycolorscreen.com

On this website you can find amazing look for your device.

Unfortunately, you need to configure everything from scratch manually. It may take between 5 minutes to 20 for complex one.

For this reason, many people love these skin but don't use them. That's bad.

With OSkin we can leverage all these creations!

OSkin will make you able to copy a setup, send it on your Google Drive account and post the link to Google Plus, everything automagically!

The process is done through a Wizard and is very easy. It takes around 1 to 2mn to create a copy of a setup and 30 seconds to install.

Why Google Drive & Google+?

First I wanted to build a server, store the skin files on the server and then the user would see a list of Skins (you know the classification: downloads, views, recent...). I thought a lot about it and then I realized that it's better to let users build some groups on Google if they want too, discuss and exchange in an organic way and not a structured one.

Google+ is the perfect network for this purpose because there is a commenting and rating system. There is a possibility to create groups too. These aspects make it much better to Twitter. Facebook would have been a good network too, but I am sure that people having an Android device have a Google account, not sure about the Facebook one.

Compatibility

I have tested the application with several home (Touchwiz, Apex, Nova, Go...) and several widgets, including complex one (Zooper and CWM). I never encountered any issue. But it doesn't mean it will work all the time! Just that I didn't found the limit yet :)

Warning

Right now this project is at its beginning, the UI has to be improved and the application may be (very) unstable.

The application writes on the data partition of your device only. The system one is not mounted in R/W. So there is no risk to break your phone. But there is a risk to loose your data regarding your home configuration or your widget configuration (never happend to me, but you may be the first one).

Share your thoughts about the application, I will be happy to improve it.

Review

Full review with details regarding the process on addictivetips

App themer copy???

This project started long time before application from MyColorScreen has been annouced publicly, may be even before they started to work on their project. Public beta started before their announcement too.Because there is still no information about the way Themer will work, I can't tell what my application is better at. What is sure is that I am not about to sell any content, because theme creator will have 100% control of their creation. I am not a company, just a lawyer making Android app in his free time.So may be they will release an awesome app, may be not, may be soon, may be never. We will see!

Most important thing: E N J O Y

Last edited:

spupuz

Feb 2, 2008
Milan
George I'm with you but in Italy play store isn't yet available....

Can you provide apk?

Inviato dal mio Nexus 4

snoopy33

Nov 27, 2005
George I'm with you but in Italy play store isn't yet available....

Can you provide apk?

Inviato dal mio Nexus 4

Hey spupuz!

I am Charles not Georges (but Georges is a common name here too :)

I will update the first post.

Thank you for having letting me know.

Regards

snoopy33

Nov 27, 2005
OK I attached the APK file on the first post.

So now probably no one will register in the beta group... all these efforts to create an alternative communoty destroyed because of Italian Play Store!

Mmmhhhh Italian Google, where are you?

spupuz

Feb 2, 2008
Milan
Crash on gdrive upload

Inviato dal mio Nexus 4

---------- Post added at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

Seen in the play store you can remove it :)

Inviato dal mio Nexus 4

snoopy33

Nov 27, 2005
Crash on gdrive upload

Inviato dal mio Nexus 4

---------- Post added at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

Seen in the play store you can remove it :)

Inviato dal mio Nexus 4

Great for the Play Store!

Regarding GDrive, did you tried several times?

Regards

pbecks1963

May 26, 2009
Zutphen
Installed the apk. Made a backup (had to go through the first intro/cycle twice before it started to backup/upload) Don't know why?

Now before i try a restore, does this backup contain:

Grid size/settings (nova launcher)
Position/size/settings of all widgets on all 3 screens

?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9300 met Tapatalk 4

spupuz

Feb 2, 2008
Milan
Here is

Inviato dal mio Nexus 4

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1377842718114.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1377842718114.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 525

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OSkin
    Share your homescreen

OSkin is a new application to copy an entire Homescreen (wallpaper, widgets, home configuration...) from one device to another.

Get the application

1. The application is in beta, to get it register to this Google+ community
    2. Click the link provided there to be a beta tester.
    3. After that, you will get the beta version on the Play Store.
    Why there is no APK attached to the first post?
    As OSkin is still in beta under development, I really need that users have the last available version installed. The only way to guaranty that is to use the Play Store which will push the last version all the time to everyone.
    Registering as a beta user on the Play Store takes less than 1mn and is free, so if you are interested, do it.

Purpose

Most of you should know the website http://mycolorscreen.com

On this website you can find amazing look for your device.

Unfortunately, you need to configure everything from scratch manually. It may take between 5 minutes to 20 for complex one.

For this reason, many people love these skin but don't use them. That's bad.

With OSkin we can leverage all these creations!

OSkin will make you able to copy a setup, send it on your Google Drive account and post the link to Google Plus, everything automagically!

The process is done through a Wizard and is very easy. It takes around 1 to 2mn to create a copy of a setup and 30 seconds to install.

Why Google Drive & Google+?

First I wanted to build a server, store the skin files on the server and then the user would see a list of Skins (you know the classification: downloads, views, recent...). I thought a lot about it and then I realized that it's better to let users build some groups on Google if they want too, discuss and exchange in an organic way and not a structured one.

Google+ is the perfect network for this purpose because there is a commenting and rating system. There is a possibility to create groups too. These aspects make it much better to Twitter. Facebook would have been a good network too, but I am sure that people having an Android device have a Google account, not sure about the Facebook one.

Compatibility

I have tested the application with several home (Touchwiz, Apex, Nova, Go...) and several widgets, including complex one (Zooper and CWM). I never encountered any issue. But it doesn't mean it will work all the time! Just that I didn't found the limit yet :)

Warning

Right now this project is at its beginning, the UI has to be improved and the application may be (very) unstable.

The application writes on the data partition of your device only. The system one is not mounted in R/W. So there is no risk to break your phone. But there is a risk to loose your data regarding your home configuration or your widget configuration (never happend to me, but you may be the first one).

Share your thoughts about the application, I will be happy to improve it.

Review

Full review with details regarding the process on addictivetips

App themer copy???

This project started long time before application from MyColorScreen has been annouced publicly, may be even before they started to work on their project. Public beta started before their announcement too.Because there is still no information about the way Themer will work, I can't tell what my application is better at. What is sure is that I am not about to sell any content, because theme creator will have 100% control of their creation. I am not a company, just a lawyer making Android app in his free time.So may be they will release an awesome app, may be not, may be soon, may be never. We will see!

Most important thing: E N J O Y
    Unable to share skin on Google+

sent from my HTC ONE XL

I know, the bug is fixed in the last source code but I am trying to add some features. I need to finish them before pushing an update.

Regards

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    My Rom isn't AOSP based, it's pure Samsung TW. What Android version do you have running on your S3 and Nexus. I'm using 4.2.2 on my S4.

4.2.2 on the S3 stock rom and of course 4.3 on the Nexus.

I have checked and your stock rom has the same path that the Nexus and different from the S3.

May be I have been a bit alarming for nothing. I have a Workaround idea to make things compatible between different devices without big hacking stuff. Not yet tested. Will have busy week. Will probably try it on Sunday.

Anyway my previous solution to the storage path was ugly, some way I am happy it fails to work as expected!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Hope this gives a bit more info

ka4n28m.png

I think it s a redirection issue to the log file!

Can you send me again the backup.sh file (in PM or email) as I have changed it since the last time you sent it to me, so the line indicated in this error message may not match with the previous file.

Thank you a lot for your help Kantjer!

Regards