[UPDATE 12/24/13 ] SOLVED! Hard-bricked? Un-hard brick using sd card SM-N900T/N9005

Search This thread

msmercy42

Nov 17, 2013
UPDATE:Thanks to the hard work and diligence of XDA members @noobtoob, @ecs87, and recognized contributor @DocHoliday77, recognized developer @shabbypenguin, and others who will be added to this list after I go through some threads for their names -

It is my pleasure to announce that owners of the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 3 who have unfortunately hard-bricked
their device, (will not turn on, no led light, qhusb_download mode as device status when plugged into pc) are NOW able to boot their device using sd card mode, instead of expensive JTAG repair!!

noobtoob has been so kind as to ship me the sd card that he successfully flashed, with uncorrupted files from a working tmobile note 3, using odin! Thank you! These files contain all of the prerequisite files needed to boot in this state, to download mode! Once there, a stock firmware flash with ODIN will totally restore your device, just as the SM-N900A variant (at&t), and tmobile and sprint galaxy s3 hard-unbrick methods right here on XDA, can accomplish as I type!

Now, owners of this device can flash with alot more ease, and also this could not only lead to discovery of this method for the entire Note 3 series, perhaps other devices as well!

Read the thread! Why just look for a quick fix when you can actually learn more about the way file systems in android work - and what to avoid doing so that the chances of this happening in the future are less likely? I conducted quite a bit of research, and spoke to some very talented people to get this thread where it is - and to learn some new things myself. This thread contains alot of good insight and discussion about how to solve this issue. Perhaps you could learn something. Either way, all of what you need to fix a hard brick for these two devices is here.

[Update] 12/17/13]

I do in fact now have the sd card. Thanks @noobtoob! The device will not boot still.
I'm going to try a jig also.

:D

[UPDATE] 12-21-13

Thanks to time, guidance, and commands from @shabbypenguin, we found the reason why the sd card noobtoob wrote the umbrick.img to will not boot. It is simply not large enough! So now thanks to proper guidance and this is from shabbypenguin, Tmobile Note 3 users are almost safe from a hard-brick!

If anyone deserves credit for this all, it is @shabbypenguin and @KAsp3rd, and ultimately Samsung, for at least programming their phones to be virtually fail-safe! Special thanks @zinnium to be the first to report this working for them! Thank You!

We have the new .img , so the proper method, and files will be in this post for all to use. For now, they are in this thread. Of course all contributors will be thanked. Give me a little time to get myself together here in the real world, this has happened so fast I've barely had time to keep up!!!!!

Pm me, or post if this method works for you. Now, I mean this only if you first are aware that **IF YOU FLASH ANYTHING OR USE THIS METHOD IT IS AT YOUR OWN RISK - I OR NO ONE ELSE IS RESPONSIBLE BUT YOU!!**

Also, only if you are simply using the very last unbrick.img posted by noobtoob, in this thread. It is ONLY FOR THE TMOBILE NOTE 3 SM-N900T VARIANT!!!! USING IT FOR ANY OTHER MODEL WILL NOT WORK!! THERE IS AN UNBRICK.IMG FOR THE SM-N9005 ALSO AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS POST! **AGAIN - ONLY USE THE .IMG THAT IS FOR YOUR SPECIFIC DEVICE!!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED AND IT IS NOT MY RESPONSIBILITY IF ANYTHING GOES BAD!!!**

The file is 165mb in size, and needs to be written to a 32 or 64 gig sd card with Linux or another image writing tool, even using a CORRECT dd command in terminal emulator, with a rooted device. It has also been confirmed by XDA member zinnium to work with a 310mb system dump from of course - a WORKING T-Mobile Note 3. Also, XDA member aiti1980 has confirmed success with hard-unbricking the SM-N9005 model. The slimmer file does however, also contain all of the necessary partitions to correctly re-write improperly overwritten ones, including recovery!

Do not try to start a new thread and take credit for this!! This is the thread where this method started specifically for the t-mobile note 3 , and I take no credit for this method!!!! The real thanks should go to @shabbypenguin, and @KAsp3rd, who have brought this method, from unknown origins of my knowledge at the time of writing this - to XDA. @shabbypenguin has been kind enough to lend his expertise and time here in this thread, for the t-mobile note 3!! YAY :) Just in time for Christmas! Merry Christmas All!

UPDATE: 12/24/13 - Here's a Christmas gift for all SM-N9005 owners with a hard-bricked device...

ooo! Thanks!!!
I use adb driver
into cmd win 7 i run:
ADB SHell
su
and you command and get unbrick.img
waiting for result...
I writting *.img on adata Microsd card from win 32 Disk Image
Update: WOW!!! My hard bricked phone power up!
Many thanks from RussiaЖ)))
Where me put unbrick.img: dropbox, or another service?

:) This method works for the SM-N9005 variant too! CONFIRMED!
One step closer for a universal hard-unbrick method for ALL
Galaxy Note 3 Models! HURRAH:) Special thanks to aiti1980 for being the first to try and succeed! Congrats!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!*:)

Note 3 SM-N900T unbrick.img
http://www.mediafire.com/?6nu61z43y51v3k4

Thanks to noobtoob for the above SM-N900T unbrick.img

https://mega.co.nz/#!UtNhgAja!XLL6Xy7qxW0L9t4ZgXgowHFNlSsLuz5RIQ-fQc5Ctxk

Thanks to aiti1980 for the above SM-N9005 Unbrick.img upload! ENJOY:)

Last edited:

NeoAndroid

Jun 8, 2010
Chandler
Try using ODIN to flash back to stock. Then root using one of the available ways on XDA. Normally you install TWRP using Goo manager after root. It's that simple.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk 2

msmercy42

Nov 17, 2013
Try using ODIN to flash back to stock. Then root using one of the available ways on XDA. Normally you install TWRP using Goo manager after root. It's that simple.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk 2

I know that. I don't have a pc so I noticed on the twrp page that terminal emulator was an option, so I tried it.
Odin will not recognize the phone, how exactly do I use your method?

chstewart

Mar 26, 2012
Lehi
I know that. I don't have a pc so I noticed on the twrp page that terminal emulator was an option, so I tried it.
Odin will not recognize the phone, how exactly do I use your method?

Recovery on the note 3 is actually on mmcblk0p15. So the issue is thankfully the partition you were trying to write to didn't have enough space to write.

If you change it to mmcblk0p15 you should be good. Or just install goo manager and install that way which is simplest. Should be option to install open recovery script.

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda app-developers app

msmercy42

Nov 17, 2013
Recovery on the note 3 is actually on mmcblk0p15. So the issue is thankfully the partition you were trying to write to didn't have enough space to write.

If you change it to mmcblk0p15 you should be good. Or just install goo manager and install that way which is simplest. Should be option to install open recovery script.

The help is much appreciated, however I cannot turn on the phone at all...

msmercy42

Nov 17, 2013
Thanks for the help, I can't get the phone on at all though... it doesn't even recognize my device other than windows stating that it cannot recognize it, as it
malfunctioned.

Kies, will recognize it, even in this case?

Lastly, are you telling me that there is a way to push recovery with Odin even though the device is off, will not go into download mode, or recovery? If so, that's great!

Last edited:

msmercy42

Nov 17, 2013
Try with kies, best option as it will firmware reset your device back to stock.

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda premium

Thanks for the assist... will try kies as soon as I get to a PC in the morning. I honestly hope kies does the trick, PC stated it didn't recognize my device due to a malfunction.
I'll check the drivers also. Do you have any other suggestions? I just want to try every avenue avaiable. Again, thanks a lot.

msmercy42

Nov 17, 2013
Thanks for the assist... will try kies as soon as I get to a PC in the morning. I honestly hope kies does the trick, PC stated it didn't recognize my device due to a malfunction.
I'll check the drivers also. Do you have any other suggestions? I just want to try every avenue available. Again, thanks a lot.

Update - I tried using Odin 1.85. I see the device being recognized in one of the ports, but flashing the stock firmware, or twrp yielded no results.
I tried reinstalling the Samsung drivers, nothing. I even tried Odin 3.07, and 3.09. Since the device will not power on, I guess that is why it will not work.

I then tried an emergency firmware recovery using kies. It did not detect the device, which is normal, so I disconnected and reconnected the device repeatedly,
with no success. I uninstalled an reinstalled kies, and that did nothing either.

I installed the android 4.3 sdk, and used adb in an attempt to recognize the device using commands like adb reboot recovery.

Adb replied with : no devices found.

I attempted through windows, to examine the ports, and found that there were different drivers present. The drivers installed on the PC were named QHUSB_DOWNLOAD 9008. When I first plugged the device to the PC, I noticed the device named as QHUSB_BULK, before changing to the above name, the same as the name for the drivers.

So my device is still alive.

Any advice? Can anyone help me get my phone on, at least into download mode? From there I can get it going. Please help if possible.

Last edited:

chstewart

Mar 26, 2012
Lehi
Sorry been busy with work. Are you sure you can't get into download mode? I originally wrote twrp to the wrong partition as you did and could still get download mode.

Theoretically it shouldn't have done anything that would prevent download mode from working....

Manual method for getting into download mode.

Volume-down+home+power

msmercy42

Nov 17, 2013
Sorry been busy with work. Are you sure you can't get into download mode? I originally wrote twrp to the wrong partition as you did and could still get download mode.

Theoretically it shouldn't have done anything that would prevent download mode from working....

Volume-down+home+power

I tried everything. No, download mode is not working, though I agree that it should theoretically still. I am still trying the three button method.

Would a jig work? I am working on one. Any ideas besides that?

JFizDaWiz

Jan 16, 2008
Niles
i was going to suggest a jig actually. if that doesn't work you're probably out of a phone. could try warranty since it's REALLY bricked they probably won't be able to tell, did it with T-Mo on my G1, said it stopped turning on.

Reactions: msmercy42

sIpInWiT mYdRoId

May 21, 2012
Greenfield, WI
Have you tried removing the battery and holding down all the buttons before reinserting the battery again. My phone wouldn't turn on once and this helped. If not call tmobile tell them all kinds of funky things are happening with your phone and it keeps turning off. Once they tell you to factroy reset your phone, act like you are following their instructions, then when they tell you to turn it back on, tell them it will now not even turn back on. They are so slow there & will send you out a new one you'll have in 24hrs. Trust me Ive had to do this numerous times due to ocd when it comes to phones and having to have reasons to return them for the slightest flaw. I returned my galaxy note 2 before i got this note 3 like 8x's & even returned it the wk before i bought my note 3 just to get 1 with all new parts if not maybe even a new phone so the note 2 i sold would be in practically new condition if not like i said brand new,lol. im sure someones gonna get all butt hurt and start talking about fraud,lol

msmercy42

Nov 17, 2013

Volume-down+home+power

I agree, I simply followed the instructions on the twrp site, to flash recovery through terminal emulator.. I might have been off with the last number, and it obviously messed up my partitions... how did you get into recovery? The three button combo isnt working at all , no variation of it or battery pulls, or inserts have worked yet..

Also this is the place to get answers. Yet almost a thousand views but not even 20 posts. I know there is a way to fix this, can anyone share the fix?

keynith

I agree, I simply followed the instructions on the twrp site, to flash recovery through terminal emulator.. I might have been off with the last number, and it obviously messed up my partitions... how did you get into recovery? The three button combo isnt working at all , no variation of it or battery pulls, or inserts have worked yet..

Also this is the place to get answers. Yet almost a thousand views but not even 20 posts. I know there is a way to fix this, can anyone share the fix?

It doesnt look good. I sent my vzw dev note 3 to Samsung with the same reboot problems and not being able to flash anything, and even they couldn't fix it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

therockk

Aug 3, 2012
Woodbridge, Ontario
I used a command like : adb push*openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.x-hltetmo.img*/sdcardadb shell dd if=/sdcard/openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.x-hltetmo.img*of=dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery, in terminal emulator to flash twrp. "Mmkblk0ps9" was at the end.

26081 files sent
26081filews recieved

write error : no space left

That is what I saw next. I tried it again, three times, but noticed that write error was not there, so I assumed it was successful.
I rebooted, as instructed, and now a totally bricked device. I saw " qhusb_download " plugging it into one pc. A laptop with windows 8 stated that windows cannot recognize the device because it has malfunctioned.

Can someone please help? This is a disaster... the sm-900a has a method here on xda that fixes this problem... is there a way to fix this on a tmobile note 3?

Sorry to hear! I'll save you a whole bunch of time, I did the same thing to my galaxy s3 while trying to upgrade my installed clockworkmod. Long story short the commands I entered into terminal emulator we're fine its just that I put the wrong memory block which apparently flashed the image to the wrong area of the chip. I rebooted the phone and nothing happened. When I plugged it into the PC I would get the same thing you're getting. After a ridiculous amount of time I managed to get my hands on the correct drivers and installed them and found that flashing a stock firmware through Odin was a waste of time.

You need to send your phone into Samsung and the only solution is a motherboard replacement. Or you can find someone locally who can do a JTAG mod for you. But doing so will definitely void your warranty. When I shipped my phone into Samsung I told them I was using the phone and all of a sudden it got very hot and turned off and wouldn't turn on. Back in the S3 days I had to wait 3 weeks to get my phone back repaired. But these days there now Samsung service centers everywhere so you can probably get replaced phone on the spot.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk 4

M1k3Carson1369

Jul 18, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Qhusb_bulk drivers??

I used a command like : adb push*openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.x-hltetmo.img*/sdcardadb shell dd if=/sdcard/openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.x-hltetmo.img*of=dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery, in terminal emulator to flash twrp. "Mmkblk0ps9" was at the end.

26081 files sent
26081filews recieved

write error : no space left

That is what I saw next. I tried it again, three times, but noticed that write error was not there, so I assumed it was successful.
I rebooted, as instructed, and now a totally bricked device. I saw " qhusb_download " plugging it into one pc. A laptop with windows 8 stated that windows cannot recognize the device because it has malfunctioned.

Can someone please help? This is a disaster... the sm-900a has a method here on xda that fixes this problem... is there a way to fix this on a tmobile note 3?

Hey, Any luck with restoring your device, at all?

I'm in a somewhat similar predicament, myself... I accidently Wrote a backup of my NV Data to the EFS... 0_o
The log of the process showed everything seemingly going well... After rebooting, however... Well, it never did...
Now I can't get into Recovery, ODIN, Normal boot, nor will plugging it in even charge the battery(No screen/led response)...

I see QHUSB_BULK under Unknown Devices (Win7-Ult-SP1_x32)... Can't for the Life of me find the drivers, though...
In fact, reliable old Google even only returns 5 results relevant to said driver, each of which being a post in this thread =D lmao... (so prolly will be 6 results, once I submit this post) But yeah, I'm at a complete loss....

I hope you were able to find a solution for your device. And I hope someone can help discover/produce one for mine as well...

Thank you, XDA and all it's Dev's/Members...

msmercy42

Nov 17, 2013
Hey, Any luck with restoring your device, at all?

I'm in a somewhat similar predicament, myself... I accidently Wrote a backup of my NV Data to the EFS... 0_o
The log of the process showed everything seemingly going well... After rebooting, however... Well, it never did...
Now I can't get into Recovery, ODIN, Normal boot, nor will plugging it in even charge the battery(No screen/led response)...

I see QHUSB_BULK under Unknown Devices (Win7-Ult-SP1_x32)... Can't for the Life of me find the drivers, though...
In fact, reliable old Google even only returns 5 results relevant to said driver, each of which being a post in this thread =D lmao... (so prolly will be 6 results, once I submit this post) But yeah, I'm at a complete loss....

I hope you were able to find a solution for your device. And I hope someone can help discover/produce one for mine as well...

Thank you, XDA and all it's Dev's/Members...

Nothing yet....and I'm looking everywhere
for a system dump of the T-Mobile note 3, so I can maybe find the files needed for the fix.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE:Thanks to the hard work and diligence of XDA members @noobtoob, @ecs87, and recognized contributor @DocHoliday77, recognized developer @shabbypenguin, and others who will be added to this list after I go through some threads for their names -

It is my pleasure to announce that owners of the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 3 who have unfortunately hard-bricked
    their device, (will not turn on, no led light, qhusb_download mode as device status when plugged into pc) are NOW able to boot their device using sd card mode, instead of expensive JTAG repair!!

noobtoob has been so kind as to ship me the sd card that he successfully flashed, with uncorrupted files from a working tmobile note 3, using odin! Thank you! These files contain all of the prerequisite files needed to boot in this state, to download mode! Once there, a stock firmware flash with ODIN will totally restore your device, just as the SM-N900A variant (at&t), and tmobile and sprint galaxy s3 hard-unbrick methods right here on XDA, can accomplish as I type!

Now, owners of this device can flash with alot more ease, and also this could not only lead to discovery of this method for the entire Note 3 series, perhaps other devices as well!

Read the thread! Why just look for a quick fix when you can actually learn more about the way file systems in android work - and what to avoid doing so that the chances of this happening in the future are less likely? I conducted quite a bit of research, and spoke to some very talented people to get this thread where it is - and to learn some new things myself. This thread contains alot of good insight and discussion about how to solve this issue. Perhaps you could learn something. Either way, all of what you need to fix a hard brick for these two devices is here.

[Update] 12/17/13]

I do in fact now have the sd card. Thanks @noobtoob! The device will not boot still.
    I'm going to try a jig also.

:D

[UPDATE] 12-21-13

Thanks to time, guidance, and commands from @shabbypenguin, we found the reason why the sd card noobtoob wrote the umbrick.img to will not boot. It is simply not large enough! So now thanks to proper guidance and this is from shabbypenguin, Tmobile Note 3 users are almost safe from a hard-brick!

If anyone deserves credit for this all, it is @shabbypenguin and @KAsp3rd, and ultimately Samsung, for at least programming their phones to be virtually fail-safe! Special thanks @zinnium to be the first to report this working for them! Thank You!

We have the new .img , so the proper method, and files will be in this post for all to use. For now, they are in this thread. Of course all contributors will be thanked. Give me a little time to get myself together here in the real world, this has happened so fast I've barely had time to keep up!!!!!

Pm me, or post if this method works for you. Now, I mean this only if you first are aware that **IF YOU FLASH ANYTHING OR USE THIS METHOD IT IS AT YOUR OWN RISK - I OR NO ONE ELSE IS RESPONSIBLE BUT YOU!!**

Also, only if you are simply using the very last unbrick.img posted by noobtoob, in this thread. It is ONLY FOR THE TMOBILE NOTE 3 SM-N900T VARIANT!!!! USING IT FOR ANY OTHER MODEL WILL NOT WORK!! THERE IS AN UNBRICK.IMG FOR THE SM-N9005 ALSO AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS POST! **AGAIN - ONLY USE THE .IMG THAT IS FOR YOUR SPECIFIC DEVICE!!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED AND IT IS NOT MY RESPONSIBILITY IF ANYTHING GOES BAD!!!**

The file is 165mb in size, and needs to be written to a 32 or 64 gig sd card with Linux or another image writing tool, even using a CORRECT dd command in terminal emulator, with a rooted device. It has also been confirmed by XDA member zinnium to work with a 310mb system dump from of course - a WORKING T-Mobile Note 3. Also, XDA member aiti1980 has confirmed success with hard-unbricking the SM-N9005 model. The slimmer file does however, also contain all of the necessary partitions to correctly re-write improperly overwritten ones, including recovery!

Do not try to start a new thread and take credit for this!! This is the thread where this method started specifically for the t-mobile note 3 , and I take no credit for this method!!!! The real thanks should go to @shabbypenguin, and @KAsp3rd, who have brought this method, from unknown origins of my knowledge at the time of writing this - to XDA. @shabbypenguin has been kind enough to lend his expertise and time here in this thread, for the t-mobile note 3!! YAY :) Just in time for Christmas! Merry Christmas All!

UPDATE: 12/24/13 - Here's a Christmas gift for all SM-N9005 owners with a hard-bricked device...

ooo! Thanks!!!
    I use adb driver
    into cmd win 7 i run:
    ADB SHell
    su
    waiting for result...

:) This method works for the SM-N9005 variant too! CONFIRMED!
    One step closer for a universal hard-unbrick method for ALL
    Galaxy Note 3 Models! HURRAH:) Special thanks to aiti1980 for being the first to try and succeed! Congrats!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!*:)

Note 3 SM-N900T unbrick.img
    http://www.mediafire.com/?6nu61z43y51v3k4

Thanks to noobtoob for the above SM-N900T unbrick.img

https://mega.co.nz/#!UtNhgAja!XLL6Xy7qxW0L9t4ZgXgowHFNlSsLuz5RIQ-fQc5Ctxk

Thanks to aiti1980 for the above SM-N9005 Unbrick.img upload! ENJOY:)
    ooo! Thanks!!!
    I use adb driver
    into cmd win 7 i run:
    ADB SHell
    su
    waiting for result...
    I ran parted on the device and the boot partition, excluding everything else, ends at 291 MB. I made the 310 MB image using terminal emulator.

Code:
    dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0 of=/sdcard/unbrick.img bs=1024 count=325058560

For some reason parted will not run on my phone, so I used the busy box fdisk method. See the screenshot below.

As far as the note 3 only in 32 GB, the US variants yes, but there is an international one that does come in 16 GB. SM-N900 or something. Anyways, take a lok at whatever you need to and advise. I am still a noob when it comes to linux.
    odd taht parted wont run, i just tested it fine on my xperia z (im not cool enough for a note 3 :p) and it worked fine. not seeing any screenshot though?EDIT it just loaded :p so long as the tmobile one comes in 32gb at its lowest then doesnt matter about international folks, they can make their own image. we are here for tmo customers :p

http://www.mediafire.com/download/jk...ide_rev1.0.pdf

Definitely will quote you in the OP! THANK YOU!!
    Guess we will see very soon if this works and judging from your work, I'm thinking we are about to have a must-have thread here!

Hope everyone with a bricked tmobile, or any other note 3 can use this and enjoy their note 3s for Xmas! :)
    there is an error with the file, i think you copied the url wrong. @msmercy42 this image when created will be for tmobile ones only, the n900a already has theirs.

edit2:

dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0 of=/sdcard/unbrick.img count=163839 bs=1024

that should dump all the way to trustzone partition, which is all you need and it will be 160MBish in size. which one of you has the needed tools to recover right now? on a side note, damn... these phones ar egetting big im gunan need to increase the dump size on my unbrick image zip :/
    im not assuming, on the s3/s4 you needed at least the size of your emmc chip for the bootup to be scanned properly. every device we have done this stuff on has just been a dd dump of mmcblk0 of a certain size and rewriting it to the sdcard, from there it just works. i wanna say there has been at least 6-8 people who have done this across various devices that ive posted images for.