Nexus 5 - 17 hours talk time!

Search This thread

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
I read a recent article that made claims that our beloved N5's should be able to allow us to chit chat for yogi up to 17 hours!
Anyone ever got over 5-6?
Where do they get these specs? Is there an updated uranium battery i'm not aware of?
http://culturemob.com/nexus-5-nexus-7-price-specs-comparison

1. its probably supposed to say 7h
2. the nexus 7 doesnt have "talk time" as its a tablet that diesnt come with a dialer.
3. i wouldnt believe anything that culturemob.com writes.

FuMMoD

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Mar 11, 2009
South Florida
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
Nexus 7 talk time is hilarious ? ?. The actual specs are in the google play store and it does list 17 hours of talk time.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
Anandtech pegged it at 13.7 hours talk time. The official technical specifications list 17 hours.

D

Darth

No phone usually lives up to its "specced" battery times. Usually. :)

Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, G Tab 3 or S2.....

D

Darth

It does have the official specs at 17 hours talk time. I don't know how that's possible though.
https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_5_32GB_Black?id=nexus_5_black_32gb

It isn't. Lol

---------- Post added at 10:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 AM ----------

Just like when phones claim 300 hours standby. LOL. Try just over 100 usually at best.

Zepius

Mar 29, 2011
It isn't. Lol

---------- Post added at 10:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 AM ----------

Just like when phones claim 300 hours standby. LOL. Try just over 100 usually at best.

its possible. you just have to turn literally everything else off and only use talk and be in perfect signal.

D

Darth

its possible. you just have to turn literally everything else off and only use talk and be in perfect signal.

I'll eat my hat when I see a screen shot at even half that. ;) especially when the "phone" seems to be a real battery hog.

Globespy

Jun 19, 2008
Spaceship Earth
Last edited:

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
That's clear cut deceptive selling. I think I might threaten a class action to have a full refund and save my money for the N6. Maybe they might learn to stop lying.

Did you notice the * besides that claim and the accompanying disclaimer?

You can try to sue every other manufacturer while you're at it too, lol. You didn't actually think Nexus was the first to "stretch the truth" in this way, did you? They can put the devices in low powered operation that normal users would never attempt to get those numbers

The 14 hours that Anandtech got is much more realistic and still that is with extra niceties all disabled.

Last edited:

Globespy

Jun 19, 2008
Spaceship Earth

You can try to sue every other manufacturer while you're at it too, lol. You didn't actually think Nexus was the first to "stretch the truth" in this way, did you? They can put the devices in low powered operation that normal users would never attempt to get those numbers

The 14 hours that Anandtech got is much more realistic and still that is with extra niceties all disabled.

Lol! I was kidding. I've accepted that corporations and government have carte blanche to lie about everything and believe that is acceptable behavior... and the kicker is that we allowed them to create this scenario!
I can't wait to get 23 hours screen time on the new N6!

Reactions: bblzd
D

Darth

Gotta remember ....whoever makes the N6 (Motorola? ) won't let the nexus be as good as their flagship.....and battery is always gonna be an obvious "skimp" item. To cut costs and sell the nexus cheap. ;)

PJcastaldo

Aug 31, 2009
Debary, FL
These numbers are based on the device running 100% stock and with 0 non stock apps running services in a very good service area if not on wifi.. so essentially the perfect storm.

People are consistently getting their N5 and other devices to over 5 and 6 hours of S.O.T. so I can see it being totally plausible to see insane spec times on a tablet with a much bigger battery.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

D

Darth

These numbers are based on the device running 100% stock and with 0 non stock apps running services in a very good service area if not on wifi.. so essentially the perfect storm.

People are consistently getting their N5 and other devices to over 5 and 6 hours of S.O.T. so I can see it being totally plausible to see insane spec times on a tablet with a much bigger battery.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

My N7 2012 goes about 6 days with 6 to 7 hour screen times. But it also sleeps with a drain of less than 0.1 percent per hour. I think it's cause there's hardly anything on it....everything is off, it stays on wifi constantly, and has no radio. I think if it were the 3g model, and not in airplane mode....the radio at least would drain it a bit more.

But yeah....batteries can do much better than most phones currently have. Standby drain will always degrade tho with more features running and radio signal strength for sure.

Can't see phone battery life getting much better than say an lg g2, or Droid maxx or something. Unless the phones get even bigger or battery technology improves so you get more bang at a smaller size.

Guess time will tell. :)

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
My N7 2012 goes about 6 days with 6 to 7 hour screen times. But it also sleeps with a drain of less than 0.1 percent per hour. I think it's cause there's hardly anything on it....everything is off, it stays on wifi constantly, and has no radio. I think if it were the 3g model, and not in airplane mode....the radio at least would drain it a bit more.

But yeah....batteries can do much better than most phones currently have. Standby drain will always degrade tho with more features running and radio signal strength for sure.

Can't see phone battery life getting much better than say an lg g2, or Droid maxx or something. Unless the phones get even bigger or battery technology improves so you get more bang at a smaller size.

Guess time will tell. :)

The demand is certainly there. I think we're seeing more of a focus on battery life with current phones. By using fast CPUs and LTE radios tasks can be completed and get to idle much quicker than before.

Where I'd like to see more progress is from software developers. Many apps and games are draining more than they require and don't focus on optimizing.

D

Darth

The demand is certainly there. I think we're seeing more of a focus on battery life with current phones. By using fast CPUs and LTE radios tasks can be completed and get to idle much quicker than before.

Where I'd like to see more progress is from software developers. Many apps and games are draining more than they require and don't focus on optimizing.

That's cause any Joe schmoe can make an app and put it on play store. LOL. They certainly don't filter out much.

I'm hoping for better batteries too....I miss the days of going away on a weekend and a charger not being on my packing list. Tho I doubt that will happen with modern phones. ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I read a recent article that made claims that our beloved N5's should be able to allow us to chit chat for yogi up to 17 hours!
    Anyone ever got over 5-6?
    Where do they get these specs? Is there an updated uranium battery i'm not aware of?
    http://culturemob.com/nexus-5-nexus-7-price-specs-comparison

1. its probably supposed to say 7h
    2. the nexus 7 doesnt have "talk time" as its a tablet that diesnt come with a dialer.
    3. i wouldnt believe anything that culturemob.com writes.
    I've hit 7 and then my phone died. But it was literally a 7h phonecall.

calling time warner customer service are we? XD

Lol! I was kidding. I've accepted that corporations and government have carte blanche to lie about everything and believe that is acceptable behavior... and the kicker is that we allowed them to create this scenario!
    I can't wait to get 23 hours screen time on the new N6!