[Guide] At&t Note 3 Sim Unlock

Search This thread

Limeybastard

They should cost more than £1 at most if your just after a crap pay as you go. Its up to you what you put on the account.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using xda app-developers app

Was thinking this one.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1382200514038.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1382200514038.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 3,413

lyrad12

Nov 19, 2010
Im using my galaxy note 3 att here in asia, just rooted and use chainfires region lock away the it works like charm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: sfb14

Limeybastard

Im using my galaxy note 3 att here in asia, just rooted and use chainfires region lock away the it works like charm

How do you know the phone was originally region locked? Of course it was Carrier locked, or did you just do it to kill two proverbial birds with one stone per se?

vinnyj85

Oct 1, 2012
So does chainfires app unlock it or jus region unlock and I have to sim unlock otherwise?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk 4

lyrad12

Nov 19, 2010
How do you know the phone was originally region locked? Of course it was Carrier locked, or did you just do it to kill two proverbial birds with one stone per se?

well at first place I thought that I'm gonna need a SIM unlock code separately after I use the app region lock away, and im not really sure if my att galaxy note 3 is region locked since I assumed because it is American version, I just give it a try and it work. no SIM unlock codes needed.

Last edited:

Limeybastard

well at first place I thought that I'm gonna need a SIM unlock code separately after I use the app region lock away, and im not really sure if my att galaxy note 3 is region locked since I assumed because it is American version, I just give it a try and it work. no SIM unlock codes needed.

I don't believe USA versions are region locked

Sent from my SM-N900T

Whoflungdu

Dec 2, 2012
Was thinking this one.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Yeah not to bad. It all depends on how much you plan on using the device when your over there.

---------- Post added at 08:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 PM ----------

I don't believe USA versions are region locked

Sent from my SM-N900T

Where did you learn this ? Since your on a T-Mobile device do you even need to unlock it to use on EE ?

Limeybastard

Yeah not to bad. It all depends on how much you plan on using the device when your over there.

---------- Post added at 08:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 PM ----------

Where did you learn this ? Since your on a T-Mobile device do you even need to unlock it to use on EE ?

I learned it on here, USA N900(X) aint region locked just carrier locked. Already SP unlocked.

Whoflungdu

Dec 2, 2012
I learned it on here, USA N900(X) aint region locked just carrier locked. Already SP unlocked.

I think that I got lucky with AT&T just giving me an unlock code then. Tho I did boot it up with the T-Mobile card in it first but I think I shouldn't be region locked since that sim was a US one aswel.

yodan4

Nov 16, 2009
thanks man, now I can trade my UNLOCKED note 3 for a tmobile one. Sick of this bootloader being locked!!!!

jmbneaf

Oct 20, 2003
Mtgy-AL, USA
blog.jimsjump.com
Works!

I can confirm that this worked to unlock mine. I tried a T-Mobile SIM and was able to make a call. Thanks.

Ditto for me too! Thanks a ton!
Also, speed tests show no impact.
Knox not tripped (however I have that frozen with Titanium backup)
With my N900A, I was able to download data & make calls on a T-Mobile SIM
Returned back to my AT&T SIM, I did have to re-enter my APN settings though.

Thanks again!
~J

slidesear

Jan 20, 2011
I just ran the app on my AT&T Note 3 (MI9 Firmware) and was able to make a call with my co-workers T-Mobile SIM. I am planning to go with Aio Wireless within the week. I'll post my results.

Thanks ChainFire! Money is coming your way!

verendus

Oct 19, 2006
I just called AT&T and asked for the unlock code. It took about a minute for her to come back with an unlock code. If your account is in good standing, they will give you the code. I bought my note 3 with 2 year agreement.

tyiphius

Sep 8, 2011
I just called AT&T and asked for the unlock code. It took about a minute for her to come back with an unlock code. If your account is in good standing, they will give you the code. I bought my note 3 with 2 year agreement.

Which is usually the case but I called the day after and they couldn't give an unlock code for either one I had bought. So i went this route. Either way works!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

tyiphius

Sep 8, 2011
Respectfully, are you saying ATT give out carrier unlock codes for phones that are still under subsidy?

I've gotten unlocks for phones that have been under contracts before. I just tell them that I'm going out the country for a couple weeks and they'll give me the code to unlock. IPhones and blackberries are a pain for getting unlocked via At&t.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Reactions: Limeybastard

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I bought two At&t Note 3s yesterday. One for me and one for a friend. I'm on At&t and my friend is on MetroPCS. I called At&t for an unlock and they couldnt get me a code, even though one was paid in full price and "qualified" to get unlocked according to them. So this is how I got the phones unlocked.

Reminder: I'm not responsible for any damage you may do to your phone. Proceed at your own risk!

Root is Required!

1. To root your At&t Note 3 follow this guide (Thank You designgears!)
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2474422

2. You will need to allow unknown sources to be installed.
    Settings>General>Security>Unknown Sources (Make sure its checked)

3. Install Chainfire's RegionLock Away App from Google Play Store (and buy him a beer :highfive:) or download it from here.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2470551

4. Tap "Region Unlock" in the app

5. Let it do its thing

6. Choose Reboot Later (Thats what I did at least)

7. Turn off the phone and try a non-At&t sim card.

I tried my old T-mobile sim in mine and it pulled up, and we just got back from the MetroPCS store and have his running on that.
    I bought two At&t Note 3s yesterday. One for me and one for a friend. I'm on At&t and my friend is on MetroPCS. I called At&t for an unlock and they couldnt get me a code, even though one was paid in full price and "qualified" to get unlocked according to them. So this is how I got the phones unlocked.

Reminder: I'm not responsible for any damage you may do to your phone. Proceed at your own risk!

Root is Required!

1. To root your At&t Note 3 follow this guide (Thank You designgears!)
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2474422

2. You will need to allow unknown sources to be installed.
    Settings>General>Security>Unknown Sources (Make sure its checked)

3. Install Chainfire's RegionLock Away App from Google Play Store (and buy him a beer :highfive:) or download it from here.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2470551

4. Tap "Region Unlock" in the app

5. Let it do its thing

6. Choose Reboot Later (Thats what I did at least)

7. Turn off the phone and try a non-At&t sim card.

I tried my old T-mobile sim in mine and it pulled up, and we just got back from the MetroPCS store and have his running on that.

Wow thanks it work never thought it would work like magic
    3 questions

how do 3rd party generate/supply unlock codes for peeps like us, are these 1 time use codes, or can they be shared?

I want to pay to unlock tomorrow and join t-mobile, who/which website is latest on the xda trustworthy list?

To answer 1 of your questions....

The unlock code is verified by the handset and is generated by the manufacturer, typically by an algorithm such as a one way*hash*or trapdoor function. Sometimes big telecom providers change the original factory unlock codes as an extra layer of security against unlocking services. For various big brands such as Samsung and Motorola there is no algorithm but just a random code generator where the unlock codes are programmed in the phone itself and then saved in a big database managed by the manufacturer. For the other brands where the unlock codes are still based on algorithms those are based on the*IMEI*number and the*MCC*code and have been*reverse-engineered, stolen or leaked. Some handsets can be unlocked using software that generates an unlock code from an IMEI number and country and operator details using the algorithm specific to the handset. Other manufacturers have taken a more cautious approach, and embed a random*number in the handset's*firmware that is retained by the network on whose behalf the lock was applied and the manufacturer. These handsets can still be unlocked by online services that have access to either inside people with the manufacturer or with the telecom networks, or they need to be connected to the computer with a cable where specific software will bypass the security and SIM-unlock the phone. Sometimes this is done by advanced calculations to bypass the security the official way and other times using exploits or overwriting parts of the firmware where the lock status is kept, and often even recover a phone that is*bricked*or completely damaged in the software sense.
    can mj5 4.3 sim unlock? i brought att phone with mj5 and 4.3

I'm in the same boat. I got an AT&T N900A and it's on MJ5 running 4.3. I tried using the method in this forum but the sim unlock still pops up when I reboot the phone. Any free methods that work?

Same! I got an AT&T N900A and it's on MJ5 running 4.3. I'm trying to find out a "free" way to do a sim unlock so that i can use my T-mobile SIM card. Can anyone confirm whether or not this is possible, and if so, point me in the right direction?

thanks!

From oldest to newest:
    ... MI9 -> MJ5 <-> NB4 -> NC2 (Kitkat)
    RegionUnlock tool only works on MI9 or older.

If you are on MJ5, no there is no way to go back to MI9 or older.
    There is no way to unlock for free with this tool. Stop wasting your time.

I got mine unlocked through AT&T after several attempts. My HTC One was unlocked but after several replacements they sent me Note 3. I had to argue that the phone I returned was a unlocked phone, so this Note3 should also be unlocked. They escalated the case and after a week or so I got my unlock code.

Seriously, this forum needs some kind of a wiki page on beginning of the thread so that anyone can edit vital information. Otherwise OP it's all up to OP to update his post with these info.
    Sim unlock

It worked on 2 Note 3 - so far, thanks!!! 2 of 2..... Woot Woot.