iAmCdRom ?

Search This thread

trent999

Nov 16, 2013
Under the USB options on the TrueSmart with the 20Jan14 rom it shipped to me with, there is one option I found amusing.

You can choose to Connect as CD-ROM, Built-in CD-ROM - "Show a virtual CD-ROM containing some useful software."

Selecting this I see a device show up in Win7x32 named "iAmCdRom" using 1.22MB of space, read-only of course.

If anyone was thinking there might be some useful software on there, I have to report I found only a .PDF from 2007 titled "Universal Serial Bus
Micro-USB Cables and Connectors Specification", which though interesting reading (lubrication is recommended ?) is not otherwise particularly relevant or useful to us TrueSmart owners.

I wonder if there has been space allocated in the partitioning of the TrueSmart's memory to allow for that file to be stored, where other more useful things could be stored instead, eventually ? Can this space be recovered and used in a better way ?

Not complaining, just thought it funny and I am wondering if this would involves the scatter file ?

Lokifish Marz

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 13, 2011
Olympus Mons, Mars
martian-imperium.com
Under the USB options on the TrueSmart with the 20Jan14 rom it shipped to me with, there is one option I found amusing.

You can choose to Connect as CD-ROM, Built-in CD-ROM - "Show a virtual CD-ROM containing some useful software."

Selecting this I see a device show up in Win7x32 named "iAmCdRom" using 1.22MB of space, read-only of course.

If anyone was thinking there might be some useful software on there, I have to report I found only a .PDF from 2007 titled "Universal Serial Bus
Micro-USB Cables and Connectors Specification", which though interesting reading (lubrication is recommended ?) is not otherwise particularly relevant or useful to us TrueSmart owners.

I wonder if there has been space allocated in the partitioning of the TrueSmart's memory to allow for that file to be stored, where other more useful things could be stored instead, eventually ? Can this space be recovered and used in a better way ?

Not complaining, just thought it funny and I am wondering if this would involves the scatter file ?

Even though I agree, repartitioning usually breaks something, the most common being the touch screen. To be honest , I haven't tried yet.

kljoki

May 28, 2008
Rome
Huawei MediaPad T5
Replacing Built- in CD-rom .iso on mtk devices
Posted by: roma January 15, 2014 in iPhone , iPad , iOS Leave a comment

First off this has only been tested on my chinese mt6852 chipset phone. (HDC Note 3 N9000)
It came with a build in CD-Rom option when connected to the computer which mounts an iso file that has a single pdf file, this guide will show you how to replace the .iso file with anything of your choosing.

In this tutorial I will be using the following:
- Root Explorer
- A rooted mt6582 phone
- Damn Small Linux .iso (any .iso should work)

Let’s begin,
- Start by placing the .iso file on your sdcard
- Open Root Explorer and navigate to /system/mobile_toolkit/
- In the upper right hand corner tap “Mount R/W”
- Copy or move iAmCdRom.iso to your sdcard to have a backup
- Move the .iso file you placed on your sdcard to /system/mobile_toolkit/
- Rename the .iso file to “iAmCdRom.iso” (spelling has to be exact)
- Reboot

Connect usb to computer
Select to connect as “Build-in CD-rom”
It is as simple as that!

Now when you can use your phone to boot operating systems or you can even create your own ISO that contains drivers for your phone

thx roma - http://www.youheroo.com/?p=48003

Last edited:
Reactions: R1kM@n

walscobry

Jun 16, 2006
In what memory area does this ISO reside?

Just wondering if it uses internal memory or is the image on the "sdcard". Would not want to use a bunch of valuable internal memory for a linux disto I could have a thumb drive.

edit: Also wondering what the link between the touchscreen and partitioning is? ? ? ? ?

kljoki

May 28, 2008
Rome
Huawei MediaPad T5
Just wondering if it uses internal memory or is the image on the "sdcard". Would not want to use a bunch of valuable internal memory for a linux disto I could have a thumb drive.

edit: Also wondering what the link between the touchscreen and partitioning is? ? ? ? ?

please, open Root Explorer and navigate to /system/mobile_toolkit/ and tell me where is it. :silly:

walscobry

Jun 16, 2006
OK

please, open Root Explorer and navigate to /system/mobile_toolkit/ and tell me where is it. :silly:

I found it! <grin> I should read harder. Wish it was not in main internal memory but still a neat feature. Now that I think about it, the Moto Defy XT did this to provide drivers.

Thanks for pointing it out and providing the how-to! More info is good.

Last edited:
Reactions: kljoki

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Replacing Built- in CD-rom .iso on mtk devices
    Posted by: roma January 15, 2014 in iPhone , iPad , iOS Leave a comment

First off this has only been tested on my chinese mt6852 chipset phone. (HDC Note 3 N9000)
    It came with a build in CD-Rom option when connected to the computer which mounts an iso file that has a single pdf file, this guide will show you how to replace the .iso file with anything of your choosing.

In this tutorial I will be using the following:
    - Root Explorer
    - A rooted mt6582 phone
    - Damn Small Linux .iso (any .iso should work)

Let’s begin,
    - Start by placing the .iso file on your sdcard
    - Open Root Explorer and navigate to /system/mobile_toolkit/
    - In the upper right hand corner tap “Mount R/W”
    - Copy or move iAmCdRom.iso to your sdcard to have a backup
    - Move the .iso file you placed on your sdcard to /system/mobile_toolkit/
    - Rename the .iso file to “iAmCdRom.iso” (spelling has to be exact)
    - Reboot

Connect usb to computer
    Select to connect as “Build-in CD-rom”
    It is as simple as that!

Now when you can use your phone to boot operating systems or you can even create your own ISO that contains drivers for your phone

thx roma - http://www.youheroo.com/?p=48003
    OK

I found it! <grin> I should read harder. Wish it was not in main internal memory but still a neat feature. Now that I think about it, the Moto Defy XT did this to provide drivers.

Thanks for pointing it out and providing the how-to! More info is good.