[GUIDE][ROOT][Moto G6 Play][JETER] TWRP, Root, and Magisk installation OLD guide

Search This thread

kwiksi1ver

Jun 13, 2007
The guide below is depreceatred and should NOT be used.
Please use the guide in this thread instead. - https://xdaforums.com/g6-play/how-to/guide-t3929928

Code:
/*
 * Your warranty is now void.
 * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, fires, rigged elections,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarms failed and you could not call in.

Please
 * Ensure you have an advanced understanding of this device before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications or your own free will.
 */

This has been confirmed to work on:
  • XT1922-3 Model
  • XT1922-4 Model
  • XT1922-5 Brazilian Model
  • XT1922-7 Boost Mobile variant of this device with the code name JETER with Android 8.0.0 Build OCP27.91-23
  • XT1922-9 Model

Links to all boot images have been removed at the request of Motorola.
If you have done an OTA for your Device these boot.img's may not work for your device. We will need a newer boot.img to patch.

Please make backups using TWRP. Right now there is no ROM from moto for these devices that I've found. So proceed with caution.

Just make sure to download the correct boot.img for your device.

If you have another model please follow the first few steps to grab the stock boot.img and post it here and I can patch it.

The steps listed in this process WILL wipe your userdata. If you have anything you need to save back it up first.

Prerequisites:

Step 1.) Download _ this TWRP image to the ADB/Fastboot folder on your computer.

Step 2.) Reboot to your bootloader. You can do this by turning on your device and holding power and both volume buttons at the same time.

Step 3.) Once the device reboots to the bootloader type the following from your computer with your phone connected via USB.

Code:
fastboot boot moto-g6-play-jeter-patched-twrp.img

Step 4.) Once TWRP boots from your computer type (it may take a bit to boot because it is trying to decrypt your userdata, but it will fail and prompt for a password. Just click cancel):
Code:
adb pull /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/boot stockboot.img
adb pull /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/recovery stockrecovery.img
This will backup your stock boot and recovery images if you to revert to stock later.

Step 5.) Now type:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader

Step 6.) Download either XT1922-9_no_dm-verity_boot.img or XT1922-7_no_dm-verity_boot.img or XT1922-5_no_dm-verity_boot.img or XT1922-4_no_dm-verity_boot.img or XT1922-3_no_dm-verity_boot.img patched dm-verity boot image depending on which device you have and download it into the ADB/Fastboot folder on your computer.

Step 7.) Run the following command from your computer to install the relevant boot image to your device.
Code:
fastboot flash boot XT1922-9_no_dm-verity_boot.img
OR
Code:
fastboot flash boot XT1922-7_no_dm-verity_boot.img
OR
Code:
 fastboot flash boot XT1922-5_no_dm-verity_boot.img
OR
Code:
 fastboot flash boot XT1922-4_no_dm-verity_boot.img
OR
Code:
fastboot flash boot XT1922-3_no_dm-verity_boot.img

Step 8.) Run the following command from your computer to install the TWRP image to your device.
Code:
fastboot flash recovery moto-g6-play-jeter-patched-twrp.img

Step 9.) Use the volume keys on the device to select boot to recovery and TWRP will boot up again. When it prompts for a decryption password select cancel again.

Step 10.) From your computer type the following into your command prompt/terminal from your adb/fastboot folder:
Code:
adb shell mount -o,rw /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/vendor /vendor

Step 11.) Download this patched fstab.qcom boot image into the ADB/Fastboot folder on your PC.

Step 12.) Run the following command from command prompt/terminal on your computer:
Code:
adb push fstab.qcom /vendor/etc/fstab.qcom

Step 13.) Next click the "Wipe" button in TWRP and slide "Swipe to Factory Reset" THIS WILL WIPE YOUR DATA ON YOUR PHONE. Ensure you have backup.

Step 14.) Download the Magisk zip file https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases/ to your ADB/Fastboot folder.

Step 15.) Run the following command to push the boot image to your device
Code:
adb push Magisk-vXXX.zip /tmp
This will push the Magisk-vXXX.zip to your /tmp folder

Step 16.) Flash Magisk-v16.4.zip from TWRP using the install option and navigate to the /tmp folder to select it and install it.

Step 17.) Reboot your device

Step 18.) It will say N/A in the top corner of your device for a few seconds. Then it will boot the the Motorola boot screen and you can setup your device as a new phone.

Step 19.) Verify Magisk Manager is installed and the root functionality works.

Step 20.) ???

Step 21.) Profit

Credits:

CodyF86 and his Moto E5 thread for clues as to what it would take to turn off DM-Verity

Last edited:

ninjakira

Nov 6, 2016
batavia, ohio
i can confirm this works perfectly on my boost model if you do everything exactly as the tutorial say. will be posting screenshots once i re download xda labs on phone. using computer as i type this

---------- Post added at 01:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 AM ----------

alright so until this thread is able to work on the app i cant post screenshots but magisk safety net protection works. my kernel adiutor settings stuck on boot. the only things thats not working is being able to uninstall some bloatware and useless system apps. o theres no device encryption on boot anymore which is nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: guitardoc64

manos78

Jan 17, 2014
Hi @kwiksi1ver,

Thank you for your guide! :highfive:

However, I recomend to do one of these two things:
- Option 1: Add to your guide a link for download the original "boot.img" and "recovery.img". This is required for restoring the original state of the device in case of some error.
- Option 2: Instead of directly "flash" the "recovery.img" in the step 3, you can recommend to use a simple "boot". This doesn't replace the recovery and it's more safe. Then you can instruct to the user to make a backup of his stock boot & recovery partitions. See my guide about G6+: https://xdaforums.com/moto-g6/how-to/moto-g6-root-guide-start-pro-users-t3795197

If you do it, then some users can rollback when some trouble appear. For example, someone here: https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=76789160&postcount=27 needs your help (I have a G6+, so I can't help him).

Regards. :angel:

ninjakira

Nov 6, 2016
batavia, ohio
I Can confirm this works on the boost mobile variant of the jeter if you follow every step exactly. Magisk works, and safety net is good, and magisk hide works tried Pokemon go and it was successful. Modules I used on my Moto g4 play work on my g6 play. Only thing I've noticed is the bloatware and certain system apps ( like Facebook) refuse to be uninstalled. Screenshots provided. Kernel aduitor settings also stayed when I used the apply on boot option

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180611-213151.jpg
    Screenshot_20180611-213151.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 3,103
  • Screenshot_20180611-213202.png
    Screenshot_20180611-213202.png
    89.4 KB · Views: 3,083
  • Screenshot_20180611-213228.png
    Screenshot_20180611-213228.png
    80.5 KB · Views: 3,059
  • Screenshot_20180611-213300.png
    Screenshot_20180611-213300.png
    62.1 KB · Views: 2,896

kwiksi1ver

Jun 13, 2007
Hi @kwiksi1ver,

Thank you for your guide! :highfive:

However, I recomend to do one of these two things:
- Option 1: Add to your guide a link for download the original "boot.img" and "recovery.img". This is required for restoring the original state of the device in case of some error.
- Option 2: Instead of directly "flash" the "recovery.img" in the step 3, you can recommend to use a simple "boot". This doesn't replace the recovery and it's more safe. Then you can instruct to the user to make a backup of his stock boot & recovery partitions. See my guide about G6+: https://xdaforums.com/moto-g6/how-to/moto-g6-root-guide-start-pro-users-t3795197

If you do it, then some users can rollback when some trouble appear. For example, someone here: https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=76789160&postcount=27 needs your help (I have a G6+, so I can't help him).

Regards. :angel:
Cheers. I've added the stock files to the second post in the thread and I'll see what I can do about updating with the fastboot boot twrp.img steps and have the user backup their stuff first.

I wish I could help the user your referenced too, but they have different device. They have a G6, I have a G6 Play, and you have a G6+.

Only thing I've noticed is the bloatware and certain system apps ( like Facebook) refuse to be uninstalled.

You can run "adb shell" then "su" then type "pm disable com.facebook.system", "pm disable com.facebook.katana", "pm disable com.facebook.appmanager", "pm disable com.ironsource.appcloud.oobe", "pm disable com.lookout" etc which will disable the apps.

Alternatively you could use a file manager with root access and delete the various files and reboot. Make sure to keep a backup just in case you need them:
  • /oem/app/FcbkAppManagerSprint/FcbkAppManagerSprint.apk
  • /oem/app/FacebookStubSprint/FacebookStubSprint.apk
  • /oem/priv-app/FcbkInstallerSprint/FcbkInstallerSprint.apk
  • /oem/priv-app/LookoutSprint/LookoutSprint.apk
  • /data/app/com.ironsource.appcloud.oobe-mMdx9tUtxjFcQlRhjRmqrQ==/base.apk

Last edited:
Reactions: ninjakira

ninjakira

Nov 6, 2016
batavia, ohio
Cheers. I've added the stock files to the second post in the thread and I'll see what I can do about updating with the fastboot boot twrp.img steps and have the user backup their stuff first.

I wish I could help the user your referenced too, but they have different device. They have a G6, I have a G6 Play, and you have a G6+.

You can run "adb shell" then "su" then type "pm disable com.facebook.system", "pm disable com.facebook.katana", "pm disable com.facebook.appmanager", "pm disable com.ironsource.appcloud.oobe", "pm disable com.lookout" etc which will disable the apps.

Alternatively you could use a file manager with root access and delete the various files and reboot. Make sure to keep a backup just in case you need them:
/oem/app/FcbkAppManagerSprint/FcbkAppManagerSprint.apk
/oem/app/FacebookStubSprint/FacebookStubSprint.apk
/oem/priv-app/FcbkInstallerSprint/FcbkInstallerSprint.apk
/oem/priv-app/LookoutSprint/LookoutSprint.apk
/data/app/com.ironsource.appcloud.oobe-mMdx9tUtxjFcQlRhjRmqrQ==/base.apk
I just mainly want to remove Facebook as a system app and remove it's automatic updates and just reinstall it on play store as a regular app lol. I did try a couple root uninstallers and the failed to remove anything from the system. Also used a file manager with root and the results were the samr. The phone automatically resets when there's an attempt at removing system apps. I'll try to get a logcat for ya

kwiksi1ver

Jun 13, 2007
I removed it all without any tools except for adb and it doesn't come back. Here is the code I used.

Code:
adb shell
su
cp -r /oem/app/FcbkAppManagerSprint /sdcard
cp -r /oem/app/FacebookStubSprint /sdcard
cp -r /oem/priv-app/FcbkInstallerSprint /sdcard
cp -r /oem/priv-app/LookoutSprint /sdcard
cp -r /data/app/com.ironsource.appcloud.oobe-mMdx9tUtxjFcQlRhjRmqrQ==/base.apk /sdcard
mount -o rw,remount /oem 
mount -o rw,remount /data 
mount -o rw,remount /system
rm -rf /oem/app/FcbkAppManagerSprint
rm -rf /oem/app/FacebookStubSprint
rm -rf /oem/priv-app/FcbkInstallerSprint
rm -rf /oem/priv-app/LookoutSprint
rm -rf /data/app/com.ironsource.appcloud.oobe-mMdx9tUtxjFcQlRhjRmqrQ==
reboot

If you run all of those command it will backup your annoying APK's to the /sdcard folder if you need them later and then delete the originals and then it reboots your device.
The ironsource appcloud apk is the thing that reinstalls the Sprint bloatware apps over and over again, so removing or disabling that is key to keeping the crap gone.

Last edited:

GESATEC

Nov 20, 2014
XT1922-5

Hi Guys. I've tried use this procedure on XT1922-5 (Brazilian varianty) however, how I imaginated, it did not work. After the Step 18 my phone stay freez on Motorola boot screen (freezed in M). After that I did a full restore to stock and now phone is ok.
Some one her that have this same Moto g 6 Play variant (XT1922-5) could help me to create a recovery + root process too?

Best regards, GESATEC

kwiksi1ver

Jun 13, 2007
Hi Guys. I've tried use this procedure on XT1922-5 (Brazilian varianty) however, how I imaginated, it did not work. After the Step 18 my phone stay freez on Motorola boot screen (freezed in M). After that I did a full restore to stock and now phone is ok.
Some one her that have this same Moto g 6 Play variant (XT1922-5) could help me to create a recovery + root process too?

Best regards, GESATEC

Hi, can you post your stockboot.img file that you backed up during step 4? I can modify that and then I see if we can make it work for the XT1922-5 as well.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The guide below is depreceatred and should NOT be used.
    Please use the guide in this thread instead. - https://xdaforums.com/g6-play/how-to/guide-t3929928

Code:
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, fires, rigged elections,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarms failed and you could not call in.

Please
     * Ensure you have an advanced understanding of this device before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications or your own free will.
     */

This has been confirmed to work on:
    • XT1922-3 Model
    • XT1922-4 Model
    • XT1922-5 Brazilian Model
    • XT1922-7 Boost Mobile variant of this device with the code name JETER with Android 8.0.0 Build OCP27.91-23
    • XT1922-9 Model

Links to all boot images have been removed at the request of Motorola.
    If you have done an OTA for your Device these boot.img's may not work for your device. We will need a newer boot.img to patch.

Please make backups using TWRP. Right now there is no ROM from moto for these devices that I've found. So proceed with caution.

Just make sure to download the correct boot.img for your device.

If you have another model please follow the first few steps to grab the stock boot.img and post it here and I can patch it.

The steps listed in this process WILL wipe your userdata. If you have anything you need to save back it up first.

Prerequisites:

Step 1.) Download _ this TWRP image to the ADB/Fastboot folder on your computer.

Step 2.) Reboot to your bootloader. You can do this by turning on your device and holding power and both volume buttons at the same time.

Step 3.) Once the device reboots to the bootloader type the following from your computer with your phone connected via USB.

Code:
    fastboot boot moto-g6-play-jeter-patched-twrp.img

Step 4.) Once TWRP boots from your computer type (it may take a bit to boot because it is trying to decrypt your userdata, but it will fail and prompt for a password. Just click cancel):
    Code:
    adb pull /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/boot stockboot.img
    adb pull /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/recovery stockrecovery.img
    This will backup your stock boot and recovery images if you to revert to stock later.

Step 5.) Now type:
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

Step 6.) Download either XT1922-9_no_dm-verity_boot.img or XT1922-7_no_dm-verity_boot.img or XT1922-5_no_dm-verity_boot.img or XT1922-4_no_dm-verity_boot.img or XT1922-3_no_dm-verity_boot.img patched dm-verity boot image depending on which device you have and download it into the ADB/Fastboot folder on your computer.

Step 7.) Run the following command from your computer to install the relevant boot image to your device.
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot XT1922-9_no_dm-verity_boot.img
    OR
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot XT1922-7_no_dm-verity_boot.img
    OR
    Code:
     fastboot flash boot XT1922-5_no_dm-verity_boot.img
    OR
    Code:
     fastboot flash boot XT1922-4_no_dm-verity_boot.img
    OR
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot XT1922-3_no_dm-verity_boot.img

Step 8.) Run the following command from your computer to install the TWRP image to your device.
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery moto-g6-play-jeter-patched-twrp.img

Step 9.) Use the volume keys on the device to select boot to recovery and TWRP will boot up again. When it prompts for a decryption password select cancel again.

Step 10.) From your computer type the following into your command prompt/terminal from your adb/fastboot folder:
    Code:
    adb shell mount -o,rw /dev/block/platform/soc/7824900.sdhci/by-name/vendor /vendor

Step 11.) Download this patched fstab.qcom boot image into the ADB/Fastboot folder on your PC.

Step 12.) Run the following command from command prompt/terminal on your computer:
    Code:
    adb push fstab.qcom /vendor/etc/fstab.qcom

Step 13.) Next click the "Wipe" button in TWRP and slide "Swipe to Factory Reset" THIS WILL WIPE YOUR DATA ON YOUR PHONE. Ensure you have backup.

Step 14.) Download the Magisk zip file https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases/ to your ADB/Fastboot folder.

Step 15.) Run the following command to push the boot image to your device
    Code:
    adb push Magisk-vXXX.zip /tmp
    This will push the Magisk-vXXX.zip to your /tmp folder

Step 16.) Flash Magisk-v16.4.zip from TWRP using the install option and navigate to the /tmp folder to select it and install it.

Step 17.) Reboot your device

Step 18.) It will say N/A in the top corner of your device for a few seconds. Then it will boot the the Motorola boot screen and you can setup your device as a new phone.

Step 19.) Verify Magisk Manager is installed and the root functionality works.

Step 20.) ???

Step 21.) Profit

Credits:

CodyF86 and his Moto E5 thread for clues as to what it would take to turn off DM-Verity
    Just spent two hours reverting to stock so I could take the damn update on my Boost Moto G6 Play (XT1922-7). I extracted the updated stock partitions to save some other people the trouble: http://jacobstoner.com/stock-OCP27.91-23-3.zip (give it an hour or two from the time of this post to finish uploading)
    Here we have boot, system, modem, recovery, and vendor. It should be enough to update boot and system, do it in the bootloader with a current version of fastboot:
    fastboot flash boot boot
    fastboot flash system system
    then boot into twrp and flash the latest Magisk beta (Magisk-v16.7.zip)
    That's all you need to do to update to the latest stock rom. Maybe someone who is more generous with their time will pack it into a flashable zip, but I think this is easy enough.
    Im trying to decide between g6 play and moto e4 plus does anyone think the g6 play will eventually get custom ROMs like e4 plus has??? Sorry if this isn't placed to ask this questions my apologies in advance just looking for opinions on which is the better phone.

I have both. The G6 play is better looking than E4 plus with 4000 vs 5000 mAH battery. I bought G6 play for 80 bucks in a whim and it is incredibly slow with Sprint/Boost running many background processes which you cannot uninstall using adb and they keep on sending out annoying notifications. Plus E4 Plus gestures on the fingerprint is absent in G6 play. G6 Play is a good looking phone but nothing else.
    Currently boost version radio is network locked and you can't unlock or flash Verizon rom on it. There are a bunch of people who are holding the 80 bucks version and patiently waiting for a custom rom that would be able to network unlock the phone. Join the queue or go unlocked.