Help! P20 Pro GPS doesn't work after update

Search This thread

Jackwhisky

Jan 24, 2019
Hi I just update my P20 Pro to EMUI 9.0.0.178 and my GPS stops working, everytime I use Google Map it says "searching for GPS" and leaves me a grey dot. It's becoming a headache since I heavily rely on it for driving. Does anyone have the same problem with their phone? I tried restarting it, toggling location, reloading the app, still the same problem.

please help.

Jackwhisky

Jan 24, 2019
I try to restart the phone everytime this problem shows up, and it seems to solve the problem. But it's annoying knowing I have to restart it everytime to make it work...

mat88

Oct 1, 2010
My wife and I have the same problem since the update. It looks like the GPS lag to update the position. Rebooting seems to solve the problem temporarily... But I don't want to have to reboot every other day.

grantdb

Sep 10, 2011
grantdb.ca

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190219_190911_com.chartcross.gpstestplus.jpg
    Screenshot_20190219_190911_com.chartcross.gpstestplus.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 450

tipsmith

Oct 29, 2018
Same issue here. Rebooting brings things back but that's not a solution. I'm on 9.0.0.178 with the CLT-L04 in Toronto.

Syrus33

Oct 16, 2009
Montreal
I have the same issue but only with google maps. Waze and other GPS functions work fine. I usually reboot and it works for a few hours.

BrianDead

Feb 26, 2019
Huawei acknowledged a problem

It's my first time posting here, as it's the first major problem I've had with my P20 Pro over the past year. I started experiencing GPS problems after the last software update. Like others reported, they'd go away after reboot but not for long. I tried a factory reset, which doesn't seem to have helped either.

I contacted Huawei support in Canada via their website. I got a response today which first suggested I try wiping the cache partition (restart my phone, hold down the volume-up button, then you get to an EMUI maintenance screen with this option - this also didn't help any more than restarting). But it also acknowledged that there is a known issue that they are working on fixing in the next update. I quote:

" In case the issue persists, we would like to inform you that this is related to the new software update, however, Huawei is currently working to solve it. This issue will be optimized in the new version, this one is expected to be released in March. You will automatically receive this update that will solve this issue your phone is facing."

I thought you all might like to know this. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Reactions: beteljuice

bastianh

Aug 7, 2012
Cologne
I just updated to the 9.0.0.236 version available through FirmwareFinder and rooted as well. GPS is working normally again!

Greatings Bastian

QcDragonz

Mar 13, 2019
There's an issue with the latest pie ( android 9.0) and the P20 Pro that bugs the gps out, you have to restart your phone every times you want to use your gps. There should be a patch around March 21st 2019. In the meantime if you want, you can always factory reset, which would solve the issue, and wait before reinstalling the latest firware

Reactions: beteljuice

bynext

Jan 16, 2012
Santo André
Any news about that issue ? I have the model CLT-L29 C636E2R1P12 with Android 9.0.0.234 and it's not working the gps....

Wiggums

Nov 17, 2007
I have the 213 update for my L04 and it now works great! If you have the Canadian model, check for the update! It didn't work with the 178, now it does!

papavales

Apr 3, 2011
ATHENS
LG Optimus 2x
LG G3
i thought that i had the same issue but finally i found out that the problem was the new phone-case i put which has metal parts and blocks the gps signal. After remove the case gps works as it should.

Last edited:

BobbyCurry

Feb 11, 2015
Same here. At first I thought it's EMUI, but the GPS was still broken after flashing lineage... Any chance that the gps will work again if I roll back to EMUI 8.1?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi I just update my P20 Pro to EMUI 9.0.0.178 and my GPS stops working, everytime I use Google Map it says "searching for GPS" and leaves me a grey dot. It's becoming a headache since I heavily rely on it for driving. Does anyone have the same problem with their phone? I tried restarting it, toggling location, reloading the app, still the same problem.

please help.
    Huawei acknowledged a problem

It's my first time posting here, as it's the first major problem I've had with my P20 Pro over the past year. I started experiencing GPS problems after the last software update. Like others reported, they'd go away after reboot but not for long. I tried a factory reset, which doesn't seem to have helped either.

I contacted Huawei support in Canada via their website. I got a response today which first suggested I try wiping the cache partition (restart my phone, hold down the volume-up button, then you get to an EMUI maintenance screen with this option - this also didn't help any more than restarting). But it also acknowledged that there is a known issue that they are working on fixing in the next update. I quote:

" In case the issue persists, we would like to inform you that this is related to the new software update, however, Huawei is currently working to solve it. This issue will be optimized in the new version, this one is expected to be released in March. You will automatically receive this update that will solve this issue your phone is facing."

I thought you all might like to know this. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
    There's an issue with the latest pie ( android 9.0) and the P20 Pro that bugs the gps out, you have to restart your phone every times you want to use your gps. There should be a patch around March 21st 2019. In the meantime if you want, you can always factory reset, which would solve the issue, and wait before reinstalling the latest firware