[Q] Wondering what to expect by an overwrite of a ROM?

Search This thread

Cal

Dec 25, 2013
I was tinkering with my TF101 and sort of accidentally (lol) overwrote my installation of Timduru's KatKiss-4.3.1_029.zip with his KatKiss-4.4.2_016.zip without wiping anything before doing so. (Actually didn't have any data to speak of - as I formatted and wiped in proper fashion on the install of KatKiss-4.3.1_029), and it hadn't been run for more than a couple of days.

I've developed a severe addition to ROM experimentation, and so may install and backup every few days it seems. Don't have a nickname for that habit yet, but I sense that they are many similar addicts around this site. ;)

What I would like to know, since all seems, at least to this n00b, to be just fine - what "might" happen w/ my TF101 since the overwrite of a newer ROM?

Staying put, until I hear from a forum guru, or at least anyone with more experience than me (and that will include most all members).

Thanks,

Cal

frederuco

Feb 27, 2012
If you overwrite a ROM with a different one (different android version, or by a different developer) you may run into issues where it will not boot, or it may run poorly, random reboots, sleep o death.

When changing ROMs it is HIGHLY recommended to wipe the system, caches and the data partition (wiping data is not the same as FORMAT DATA in TWRP). There are some system settings stored in the /data/ partition that may conflict with different ROMs.

Most of TimDuru's KatKiss ROMs you can forward flash (even to new versions of Android) but you CANNOT go backwards. I flashed from 4.2.2 to 4.3 without wiping data and had no issues. However, if you tried to flash from 4.3 to 4.2.2 without wiping data, it will not boot until you wipe the data partition.

I have not tried this with the 4.4 version of his ROM (I am still on 4.3 for now.)

Oh, and yes, the addiction is called CrackFlashing.

Always ALWAYS make a backup in TWRP before flashing a new ROM or even an upgrade to the current ROM. If you want to go back to 4.3, make a backup and then use Titanium Backup Pro version to extract any apps and data from the 4.4 version and restore to 4.3. Do not restore any system settings or apps.

Cal

Dec 25, 2013
<snipped a bit>
When changing ROMs it is HIGHLY recommended to wipe the system, caches and the data partition (wiping data is not the same as FORMAT DATA in TWRP). There are some system settings stored in the /data/ partition that may conflict with different ROMs.

Most of TimDuru's KatKiss ROMs you can forward flash (even to new versions of Android) but you CANNOT go backwards. I flashed from 4.2.2 to 4.3 without wiping data and had no issues. However, if you tried to flash from 4.3 to 4.2.2 without wiping data, it will not boot until you wipe the data partition.

Oh, and yes, the addiction is called CrackFlashing.

Always ALWAYS make a backup in TWRP before flashing a new ROM or even an upgrade to the current ROM. <some stuff snipped>
Ahh...then the addiction is obviously not curable unless one destroys the tablet, BUT the new ROM may be just fine as is, I take it. That was what I was hoping to hear.
Thanks, and any idea when a new experimental ROM will come from Tim? Just felt a slight twitch. I've tried the other team's creations and seem to only feel really satisfied with Kits - (guess 'CrackFlashing' addiction picks a really hard one to withdraw from). :p

Many thanks! :)

Cal

schwigi

Mar 26, 2012
Ahh...then the addiction is obviously not curable unless one destroys the tablet, BUT the new ROM may be just fine as is, I take it. That was what I was hoping to hear.
Thanks, and any idea when a new experimental ROM will come from Tim? Just felt a slight twitch. I've tried the other team's creations and seem to only feel really satisfied with Kits - (guess 'CrackFlashing' addiction picks a really hard one to withdraw from). :p

Many thanks! :)

Cal

I think it will be a while until timduru starts to work in a experimental rom , since there is no Android 5 yet.:p

But Tim has marked katkiss as stable and for my daily use it is. But you could try 4.4.2.

Cal

Dec 25, 2013
I think it will be a while until timduru starts to work in a experimental rom , since there is no Android 5 yet.:p

But Tim has marked katkiss as stable and for my daily use it is. But you could try 4.4.2.
Read the original post again -- I've been on the 4.4.2_16 forever now it seems!! The urge to try something new is over-bearing! :silly: :victory:

Cal

Dec 25, 2013
Ah-Ha! I see that Tim's put up a new 'stable' one. KK 4.4.2_17! Yeah!! This should be a super easy fix for the 'crack-itis' I have developed...as I will overwrite this one also. :p:p