Google Android and Linux for KAISER!!

Search This thread

dzo

Senior Recognized Developer
Apr 3, 2008
Auckland
having 3d threw hardware should lower the memory usage when running a 3d app while getting better image quality and performance.

Not to mention the fact that most OpenGL apps won't run at all using the software renderer. I expect there will be plenty of cool OpenGL apps in the future.

rkadar1

Jul 20, 2007
default txt

sorry i havent been around for awhilw can someone post their default txt for att tilt

wornbat

Jun 21, 2006
Sydney
DNS settings in Android

I tried DZO's new version of android today and it works well.

However I still have an issue with Android detecting the DNS server.

How do you setup the DNS settings in Android if you need to set a DNS server Manually for your APN?

I am able to manually fire up Terminal and do a setprop net.dns1 61.88.xx.xx as root and Internet works but every time the connection is broken this has to be done again.

This is very Frustrating. It all worked in March using /"/" in the default.txt then something was changed in initrd and it never has worked again. Using none as user/pass does not work.

When Android is fired up the 3G icon shows but I have to connect with TOGA. Once connected with TOGA it shows the outgoing arrow on the icon but no incoming. setting the property in terminal setprop net.dns1 61.88.xx.xx then gives both arrows and internet works.

Can anyone give me any ideas on how to set the DNS Manually or to script the setprop command?

Wombat

rkadar1

Jul 20, 2007
problems with new build

1) keyboard lights do not turn on with slid out 2) cannot get togga to connect...(suspecting a default txt problem?)

Mystrorc

Feb 23, 2009
Google apps crash

I installed the latest ZIP-file, 25-04-09 1.1, from DZO.
When signed-in with my Google account, I got the following error:
The application Google Apps (process com.google.process.gapps) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

After this error every Google-account related apps does not work, like Gmail, Agenda and Market.

Any also had this error?

I am also having this problem. This has started happening to me since the 4/22 build. I have been keeping up with the great work the devs have been doing since Feb., but this is the first time this started happening to me.

I started from a clean install, by the way.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

slyoldfox

Sep 16, 2007
I am also having this problem. This has started happening to me since the 4/22 build. I have been keeping up with the great work the devs have been doing since Feb., but this is the first time this started happening to me.

I started from a clean install, by the way.

Any ideas?

I have this too after the clean install (following the wizard), however after a reboot those apps work well.

anaethelion

Nov 30, 2007
Mirepoix
I've reinstalled android a few times with the new package that dzo's provided, but still no luck, android boots up fine but whenever i try to start some 3D app it crashes and reboot the phone.

I've tried several settings in the defaults.txt but i don't clearly understand why it doesn't work at all, am i the only one ?

bandur

Jun 27, 2008
Striped screen issue and USB internet connect

Thanks to everyone for all the hard work,

I have one issue and one question:

Issue:

Striped screen. It happens frequently when I turn of the screen (by pressing “end call”) and then wake it up by hitting “windows menu key”.

I read somewhere it should hbe solved with newer zimages, but in my experience it is not the case. I have repeatedly updated all files of the Android installation, and the striped screen issue continues to appear (not every time, but frequently).

The stripes that appears have changed colour and shape with different zimages …

Question:

With the work on the USB connection, is it possible to connect to the internet through a USB connect with a PC connected to the internet? If so how (I have not been able to do that)?

I don’t have a data plan at the moment, and android isn’t a lot of fun without internet connection…

Thanks all,

eezak

Aug 25, 2008
Thanks to everyone for all the hard work,

I have one issue and one question:

Issue:

Striped screen. It happens frequently when I turn of the screen (by pressing “end call”) and then wake it up by hitting “windows menu key”.

I read somewhere it should hbe solved with newer zimages, but in my experience it is not the case. I have repeatedly updated all files of the Android installation, and the striped screen issue continues to appear (not every time, but frequently).

The stripes that appears have changed colour and shape with different zimages …

try changing "board-htckaiser.panel_type=0" in default.txt to =1 =2 or =3

cmus

Jan 23, 2009
future plans

Hey dzo -

your work on this project constantly amazes me. thanks for all your time and effort. any chance you could lay out your plans for future development for those of us who don't have the coding skills to contribute to this project? what are you looking at next? how do you decide what problem you are going to fix? i'm just trying to pry a little bit into your mindset. i want to learn from you guru... of course if you prefer to work in mysterious ways and just release your updates as you finish them, i understand that too.

and i am not trying to ignore the rest of you developers who have contributed to this great project, i just really appreciate the constant amazing progress that dzo seems to be making for us all.

dzo

Senior Recognized Developer
Apr 3, 2008
Auckland
Hey dzo -

your work on this project constantly amazes me. thanks for all your time and effort. any chance you could lay out your plans for future development for those of us who don't have the coding skills to contribute to this project? what are you looking at next? how do you decide what problem you are going to fix? i'm just trying to pry a little bit into your mindset. i want to learn from you guru... of course if you prefer to work in mysterious ways and just release your updates as you finish them, i understand that too.

and i am not trying to ignore the rest of you developers who have contributed to this great project, i just really appreciate the constant amazing progress that dzo seems to be making for us all.

Thanks for the complements, actually most of the credit needs to go to the team at Google, especially Brian Sweatland who seems to have written most of the code himself.

I really don't know what I'll do next, I've been on a break from work for a couple of weeks so had some spare time to get the GPU working. I was very surprised when it worked as well as it does. I am busy again this week so I won't be able to spend as much time on this as I have been recently.

I reckon bluetooth should be quite easy, also pcm sound input would be nice. It may be possible to get the GPS working by implementing an rpc translation layer for libgps but thats not so easy and could be a waste of time if the rpc calls are different. The kernel wifi interface should be working but it looks like it needs some different initialisation that we're not doing so that could be easy or hard.

Thanks,

Martin

silasrye

Jul 27, 2007
I reckon bluetooth should be quite easy, also pcm sound input would be nice.

Martin

1 enthusiastic vote for Bluetooth! Its the only thing keeping me from using Android full time. I love my stereo bluetooth headphones and can't do without.

Is pcm sound input what would enable dial by voice, search by voice, and voice memo? If so that sound great too.

aerok

Dec 12, 2008
Hey guys, I find this project amazing!

I succesfully installed Android, internet works fine and sms works fine.

Only problem I have is when I call, it hangs up automatically before anything and nobody can reach me.

I have the latest radio and am currently running PDAcorner Ultimate X

rkadar1

Jul 20, 2007
Internet connection

Hey guys I'm on the new built with an AT&T tilt. I got Internet connection with all other builds except this one. My apn info is the same as always and I believe my default txt is the same. I'm using 1.71.09 radio. What could be the problem? Can some post their txt incase mine is really not right

Jan 19, 2009
Nashville
Hey dzo -

Hear Hear! All that's left is finding his favorite liquor and a shipping address.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Is anyone having problems charging on Kaiser? I'm was using the latest basefiles and system-xrom1.4r3.sqsh so I switched to the Google-Ion-2009-09-12 bundle both from vogue-android on google code with fresh data.img, same problem. Charging will work for the first few hours and then without any changes, it will stop. It will charge for like 30 seconds and stop charging and the battery icon will go back to normal and in "battery status" it shows "not charging". A regular soft reboot will not fix this for some reason. Charges just fine in windows mobile, but to use android I have to reboot and charge in wm6 and when fully charged switch back to android. Anyone experienced this?
    Nice, I got it working on L26 V4 worked 1st time :)

Still a bit buggy of course but getting there

is l26 an lg device?

I will provide a zImage with our latest changes from the linuxtogo git later this day.

I will also upload a console image for testing purpose later (you can read the AT data from the arm9 in it. Just create a device node using mknod dev/smd0 254 2 and use cat /dev/smd0 to read from it. you will see incoming calls, sms etc.)
    This is one of the current mayor problems: We can read from the AT buffer but not write to it which is essential for any phone operations i.e. writing sms, making phone calls but also for using the gps. The gps deveice in kaiser is controlled also with AT send buffer. So once we hve it working we only need the msm_proc_comm work to make calls on the kaiser! If somebody knows what I'm talking about please have a look in arch/arm/mach-msm/smd-kaiser.c

Any hints/improvements appreaciated
    Can't make phone call

Hi every ones!!! :)

Android boot excellent, have internet connection but I can't make calls.

Someone can help me.

Thank you!!!
    I have a question: can I access my phone via USB when my phone is booted into Android and my computer is running Linux? It would makes sense to me, but it doesn't seem to be working.