[TOOL][ROOT][RECOVERY]Ouya Toolbox v1.1.2 - 07/10/2013 - One-Click

Search This thread

foil

Jan 9, 2008
0x000000FF
Ouya ToolBox v1.1.2 - 07/10/2013
One-Click-Style Root/Recovery/Backup/Restore/Sideload/WifiADB
ouya_toolbox.jpg

This is a compilation of commands that I found in tcollum's post in this thread in order to obtain a usable su binary, Superuser, CWM Recovery, BusyBox, and some other cool tweaks!
THIS DOES NOT CONFIGURE DRIVERS OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT!
YOU MUST HAVE YOUR DRIVERS INSTALLED PROPERLY OR THIS WILL FAIL
This is for the people who do not know how to download/setup Android SDK/ADT, or know much about ADB in general, and will root for them!
If you've never rooted before - this will root your device.
If you've lost root for some reason - this will root your device.
If you've lost root due to an OTA update - this will root your device. :)
(for the record: if you have lost your su binary from /system/xbin, you need to reinstall an ota update to recover it. this program does not restore that file, yet.)

If you are having any problems with this program not working right, or getting "exception" errors while using it, please use the TEST VERSION below!

Download:
Ouya ToolBox v1.1.2 - Download
Ouya ToolBox v1.1.2 *TEST* - Download

*TEST VERSION* If you're receiving an 'unhandled.exception' error when you load the program, PLEASE USE THIS VERSION FOR NOW!
50% of you guys are having issues with 1.1.1 or 1.1.2, and the other half aren't (myself included.) There is a problem with the way AndroidLib.dll interfaces with the Ouya's ADB responses. The author, @regaw_leinad and I are going to try to work together to get it resolved! :)
This version WILL work for you, for root and recovery, but there is NO detection support! It will ALWAYS say that the Ouya is connected!

Instructions
Connect Ouya to your computer via usb
If you're not already rooted (or have lost root,) your first step is to click the Root button. This will configure SU.
Next, install both Superuser and Busybox.
On the Ouya, run Superuser and select "Install" (NOT install from recovery!) from the options.
Run Busybox, grant it root access when it asks, wait for the files to verify on the screen, then select Smart Install.
After that, the rest is up to you! I would suggest installing CWM Recovery and making a full backup!

This program takes a few seconds to open when you run it, because it scans your computer to see if an Android device is attached, and also generates all of the files needed during the process.

I will be implementing more features very soon, and will try to make it look prettier for you guys!
PLEASE let me know of ANY bugs or problems that you encounter! This program is nowhere near complete or finished!

Working
* Root (su configuration)
* Install Superuser
* Install Busybox
* Device detection
* CWM Recovery Installation
* Sideloading APKs
* Manually reboot to.. system/recovery/bootloader
* Manually boot into cwm recovery from bootloader
* Real-time logcat system log viewer
* Open a standard user, or root shell
* Manually mount filesystem as RW or RO

Not Working YET (coding now)
* Wifi ADB toggles
* System Backup/Restore
* APK Backup/Restore
* Wireless ADB connection support

Thank you guys!

Changelog

Ouya ToolBox 1.1.2 (released 07/10/2013)

Modified AndroidLib.dll (thanks to regaw_leinad!) bug fixes&features:

* More detection bug fixes for those with Exception errors.
* Chaned gui appearance slightly
+ Manual installation of APKs
+ Links to FAQs
+ Manually mount filesystem as RW or RO
+ View logcat in real-time
+ Manually open a standard or root shell
+ Manually reboot to Bootloader
+ Manually boot into CWM from Bootloader mode

Ouya ToolBox 1.1.1 (released 07/08/2013)

Complete rewrite of root and recovery functions:

* Fixed broken root script from 1.1
* Fixed broken recovery script from 1.1
* Again fixed detection issues
+ Upgraded to AndroidLib 1.5.1.0 for better stability and improvements

Ouya ToolBox 1.1 (released 07/07/2013)
+ Added CWM Recovery feature

Ouya ToolBox 1.0.1 (released 07/07/2013)

Bug fixes:

* Fixed major bug where su file was not being generated sometimes
* Modified device detection, and it should not hang/freeze now

Ouya ToolBox 1.0 (released 07/05/2013)

This was the first public GUI release:

+ Auto-detects Android device connection
+ Configures SU binaries
+ Installs Superuser.apk and Busybox.apk
+ Quick system reboot
+ Reboot to recovery
+ Displays connected device ADB ID
+ About section with support and donation links
+ Manual device connection scan with Refresh Device button
+ Events disable functions if no device is found
+ Kills adb server upon exit
+ Auto populates resources if they're not found

Ouya ToolBox 0.1a (released 07/04/2013)

This was the first alpha, command-line batch script release:

* Configured SU binaries through ADB
* Installs Superuser and BusyBox APKs through ADB

Very special thank you to:
Natan G - For his $20 donation! :)
Dennis G For his $4 donation! :)

Attachments

• ouya_toolbox.jpg
    ouya_toolbox.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,257
Last edited:

simbaba

Jun 27, 2013
This is a small .bat script that will run the commands listed in tcollum's post in this thread in order to obtain Superuser (su) and BusyBox!
This is for the people who do not know how to download/setup Android SDK/ADT, or know much about ADB in general, and will root for them!

This does not do anything else (ie: setup wireless ADB, etc..,) so check his thread if you want to manually do those things.'

I figured I would post this for now, until I finish my one-click style GUI application that I'm currently working on that will root/wifi-adb/backup/restore/install/recovery for the Ouya :)

I will modify this thread once my application is complete!
eta: 1-2 days

Download:
http://www.f0il.com/OuyaToolbox.zip

Instructions
Run ouya.bat
That's all :)

(package includes: adb, adbwinapi, adbwinusbapi, ouya.bat, smile.txt, fastboot, superuser apk, su binary, busybox apk)

Please let me know if you you have any problems, as this is just something that I threw together very quickly before work!

Thank you guys!
Thanks a lot, what is the differences with Ouya sdk helper ?

My edition : it'snt the same thing.

Last edited:

kevinb77

Oct 3, 2010
Boston
When I go into SuperUser I get an install via recovery or install option. I picked the plain install option and it fails.

Something ain't right here, because I had SU before but jacked up my system trying to do the App store mod, so I had to manually sideload the latest ota update through adb.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

TadeoNYC

May 9, 2013
New York
Could you pare this down so that it only gets su back up and running after an OTA? I've been doing it with the Google sdk, but that is getting annoying to do so frequently.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

JLCollier2005

Mar 9, 2011
Sorry if this is obvious to others, but I wanted to ask to make sure.

This can be used after losing root from an update? I originally followed tcollums instructions, but after each update you lose SU binary's.

I'm also assuming this script tries to sideload SU and busybox, but in my case those are still installed, so would you consider making two files, one that does everything from scratch and one that is made for those who have lost root from an OTA update?

One last question, and I'm pretty sure I know the answer, you just run this from your computer connected to the OUYA, right?

Thanks!

foil

Jan 9, 2008
0x000000FF

This can be used after losing root from an update? I originally followed tcollums instructions, but after each update you lose SU binary's.

I'm also assuming this script tries to sideload SU and busybox, but in my case those are still installed, so would you consider making two files, one that does everything from scratch and one that is made for those who have lost root from an OTA update?

One last question, and I'm pretty sure I know the answer, you just run this from your computer connected to the OUYA, right?

Thanks!

Yes, if you lose root after an update, just connect your Ouya to your computer via usb, run this script, and it will setup everything you need in order to be rooted again. :)

For everybody else that asked - I have added a NoAPK package in the original post, that does not contain Superuser or Busybox apk's, only SU binaries.

Kevinb - choosing the regular "install" option (not install from recovery) was the right choice, it should have worked for you.. When you run the script, are you seeing any errors or anything? I've ran it on my Ouya quite a few times before I posted it, and it worked every time, along with a few other people that were testing it for me.

JLCollier2005

Mar 9, 2011
Yes, if you lose root after an update, just connect your Ouya to your computer via usb, run this script, and it will setup everything you need in order to be rooted again. :)

For everybody else that asked - I have added a NoAPK package in the original post, that does not contain Superuser or Busybox apk's, only SU binaries.

Thank you, foil! This is perfect! I was thinking of doing a script for it, but I have such limited knowledge of how to do them I was worried I might screw something up, so again thank you for doing this! I downloaded it and will be trying it out in a few minutes.

foil

Jan 9, 2008
0x000000FF
Thank you, foil! This is perfect! I was thinking of doing a script for it, but I have such limited knowledge of how to do them I was worried I might screw something up, so again thank you for doing this! I downloaded it and will be trying it out in a few minutes.

You're welcome!
I'll be uploading my actual GUI program later tonight, and it will modify SU binaries, install superuser/busybox/cwmrecovery, and also reboot to recovery and backup/restore system, and sideload apk's :)

JLCollier2005

Mar 9, 2011
Hey foil, getting an error and I'm not sure why.

OUYAToolboxError.jpg

Maybe you can help me understand why it didn't work? I manually did it and I got SU back.

I did have to manually navigate to the platform-tools folder using 'cd' in order for the push su to work, which I have no idea why. I didn't have to last time.

Thanks!

foil

Jan 9, 2008
0x000000FF
Hey foil, getting an error and I'm not sure why.

Maybe you can help me understand why it didn't work? I manually did it and I got SU back.

I did have to manually navigate to the platform-tools folder using 'cd' in order for the push su to work, which I have no idea why. I didn't have to last time.

Thanks!

That's really weird.. you shouldn't have to cd into any directory at all.
Which of my packages did you download? And where did you extract the files to?
You shouldn't be extracting the files into your platform-tools folder at all, but in it's own folder instead, with all of the files in-tact.

Do you have google talk? I'd like to have you beta-test my gui, if you don't mind.

JLCollier2005

Mar 9, 2011
That's really weird.. you shouldn't have to cd into any directory at all.
Which of my packages did you download? And where did you extract the files to?
You shouldn't be extracting the files into your platform-tools folder at all, but in it's own folder instead, with all of the files in-tact.

Yeah, that's what I thought too, didn't make any sense to have to change the directory. I downloaded the no apk one and extracted it to it's own folder on my desktop.

Do you have google talk? I'd like to have you beta-test my gui, if you don't mind.

I sent you a PM about this.

billouetaudrey

Aug 25, 2008
Very interest app :) Thx very much :D I wait wifi adb :)

Envoyé depuis mon Transformer en utilisant Tapatalk 4 Beta

Khaos666

Nov 7, 2010
Application get's stuck

Hi!

I use win8 pro x64 and I'm sorry to tell you that the app get's stuck after the "device detected" dialoge.
When I start it with my ouya connected the gui doesn't even show up.
If I first start this app and then connect the ouya and press "Refresh Device", I get the "device detected" message and the gui freezes.

I disabled the comodo protection since i had similar problems some time ago with my smartphone.

The diver is setup correctly as adb lists the device.

let me know if you need more information.

Edit: I just disconnected my ouya and got this error (german os):

Informationen über das Aufrufen von JIT-Debuggen
anstelle dieses Dialogfelds finden Sie am Ende dieser Meldung.

************** Ausnahmetext **************
System.NullReferenceException: Der Objektverweis wurde nicht auf eine Objektinstanz festgelegt.
bei RegawMOD.Android.BatteryInfo.Update()
bei RegawMOD.Android.Device.Update()
bei RegawMOD.Android.AndroidController.GetConnectedDevice(String deviceSerial)
bei OuyaToolbox.Form1.Button6_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
bei System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
bei System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
bei System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
bei System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
bei System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
bei System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Geladene Assemblys **************
mscorlib
Assembly-Version: 4.0.0.0.
Win32-Version: 4.0.30319.18046 built by: FX45RTMGDR.
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll.
----------------------------------------
OuyaToolbox
Assembly-Version: 1.0.0.0.
Win32-Version: 1.0.0.0.
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/devil_000/Downloads/OuyaToolBox_v1_0/OuyaToolbox.exe.
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly-Version: 10.0.0.0.
Win32-Version: 11.0.50709.17929 built by: FX45RTMREL.
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll.
System
Win32-Version: 4.0.30319.18045 built by: FX45RTMGDR.
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll.
System.Core
Win32-Version: 4.0.30319.17929 built by: FX45RTMREL.
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll.
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll.
System.Drawing
Win32-Version: 4.0.30319.18022 built by: FX45RTMGDR.
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll.
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll.
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll.
System.Runtime.Remoting
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll.
AndroidLib
Assembly-Version: 1.1.0.0.
Win32-Version: 1.1.0.0.
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/devil_000/Downloads/OuyaToolBox_v1_0/AndroidLib.DLL.
mscorlib.resources
Win32-Version: 4.0.30319.18010 built by: FX45RTMGDR.
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/mscorlib.resources/v4.0_4.0.0.0_de_b77a5c561934e089/mscorlib.resources.dll.
System.Windows.Forms.resources
Win32-Version: 4.0.30319.18010 built by: FX45RTMGDR.
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms.resources/v4.0_4.0.0.0_de_b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.resources.dll.

************** JIT-Debuggen **************
Um das JIT-Debuggen (Just-In-Time) zu aktivieren, muss in der
Konfigurationsdatei der Anwendung oder des Computers
(machine.config) der jitDebugging-Wert im Abschnitt system.windows.forms festgelegt werden.
Die Anwendung muss mit aktiviertem Debuggen kompiliert werden.

Zum Beispiel:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

Wenn das JIT-Debuggen aktiviert ist, werden alle nicht behandelten
Ausnahmen an den JIT-Debugger gesendet, der auf dem
Computer registriert ist, und nicht in diesem Dialogfeld behandelt.

Last edited:

foil

Jan 9, 2008
0x000000FF
Hi!

I use win8 pro x64 and I'm sorry to tell you that the app get's stuck after the "device detected" dialoge.
When I start it with my ouya connected the gui doesn't even show up.
If I first start this app and then connect the ouya and press "Refresh Device", I get the "device detected" message and the gui freezes.

I disabled the comodo protection since i had similar problems some time ago with my smartphone.

The diver is setup correctly as adb lists the device.

let me know if you need more information.

I haven't personally tested on Win8 at all, although I do have a Win Server 2012 x64 machine here.
I'm wondering if the problem is within the AndroidLib.dll that I used, because at launch, and also when Refresh Devices is clicked, it calls a function from there.

I can compile a separate version without AndroidLib.dll, and we can see if that's the problem, but it won't detect the device at all (I'm not going to re-code that part.)

I can do that now, if you'd like to test it, but until I get the version 1.5.x version of AndroidLib, I'm not able to do much with it. :(

Edit:
I've uploaded a no-detection version for you to try, it's in the original post. Please reply back and let me know if it works for you or not.
Thank you! :)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ouya ToolBox v1.1.2 - 07/10/2013
    One-Click-Style Root/Recovery/Backup/Restore/Sideload/WifiADB
    ouya_toolbox.jpg

This is a compilation of commands that I found in tcollum's post in this thread in order to obtain a usable su binary, Superuser, CWM Recovery, BusyBox, and some other cool tweaks!
    If you've never rooted before - this will root your device.
    If you've lost root for some reason - this will root your device.
    If you've lost root due to an OTA update - this will root your device. :)
    (for the record: if you have lost your su binary from /system/xbin, you need to reinstall an ota update to recover it. this program does not restore that file, yet.)

If you are having any problems with this program not working right, or getting "exception" errors while using it, please use the TEST VERSION below!

Download:
    Ouya ToolBox v1.1.2 - Download
    Ouya ToolBox v1.1.2 *TEST* - Download

*TEST VERSION* If you're receiving an 'unhandled.exception' error when you load the program, PLEASE USE THIS VERSION FOR NOW!
    50% of you guys are having issues with 1.1.1 or 1.1.2, and the other half aren't (myself included.) There is a problem with the way AndroidLib.dll interfaces with the Ouya's ADB responses. The author, @regaw_leinad and I are going to try to work together to get it resolved! :)
    This version WILL work for you, for root and recovery, but there is NO detection support! It will ALWAYS say that the Ouya is connected!

Instructions
    Connect Ouya to your computer via usb
    If you're not already rooted (or have lost root,) your first step is to click the Root button. This will configure SU.
    Next, install both Superuser and Busybox.
    On the Ouya, run Superuser and select "Install" (NOT install from recovery!) from the options.
    Run Busybox, grant it root access when it asks, wait for the files to verify on the screen, then select Smart Install.
    After that, the rest is up to you! I would suggest installing CWM Recovery and making a full backup!

This program takes a few seconds to open when you run it, because it scans your computer to see if an Android device is attached, and also generates all of the files needed during the process.

I will be implementing more features very soon, and will try to make it look prettier for you guys!
    PLEASE let me know of ANY bugs or problems that you encounter! This program is nowhere near complete or finished!

Working
    * Root (su configuration)
    * Install Superuser
    * Install Busybox
    * Device detection
    * CWM Recovery Installation
    * Sideloading APKs
    * Manually reboot to.. system/recovery/bootloader
    * Manually boot into cwm recovery from bootloader
    * Real-time logcat system log viewer
    * Open a standard user, or root shell
    * Manually mount filesystem as RW or RO

Not Working YET (coding now)
    * Wifi ADB toggles
    * System Backup/Restore
    * APK Backup/Restore
    * Wireless ADB connection support

Thank you guys!

Changelog

Ouya ToolBox 1.1.2 (released 07/10/2013)

Modified AndroidLib.dll (thanks to regaw_leinad!) bug fixes&features:

* More detection bug fixes for those with Exception errors.
    * Chaned gui appearance slightly
    + Manual installation of APKs
    + Links to FAQs
    + Manually mount filesystem as RW or RO
    + View logcat in real-time
    + Manually open a standard or root shell
    + Manually reboot to Bootloader
    + Manually boot into CWM from Bootloader mode

Ouya ToolBox 1.1.1 (released 07/08/2013)

Complete rewrite of root and recovery functions:

* Fixed broken root script from 1.1
    * Fixed broken recovery script from 1.1
    * Again fixed detection issues
    + Upgraded to AndroidLib 1.5.1.0 for better stability and improvements

Ouya ToolBox 1.1 (released 07/07/2013)
    + Added CWM Recovery feature

Ouya ToolBox 1.0.1 (released 07/07/2013)

Bug fixes:

* Fixed major bug where su file was not being generated sometimes
    * Modified device detection, and it should not hang/freeze now

Ouya ToolBox 1.0 (released 07/05/2013)

This was the first public GUI release:

+ Auto-detects Android device connection
    + Configures SU binaries
    + Installs Superuser.apk and Busybox.apk
    + Quick system reboot
    + Reboot to recovery
    + Displays connected device ADB ID
    + About section with support and donation links
    + Manual device connection scan with Refresh Device button
    + Events disable functions if no device is found
    + Kills adb server upon exit
    + Auto populates resources if they're not found

Ouya ToolBox 0.1a (released 07/04/2013)

This was the first alpha, command-line batch script release:

* Configured SU binaries through ADB
    * Installs Superuser and BusyBox APKs through ADB

Very special thank you to:
    Natan G - For his $20 donation! :)
    Dennis G For his $4 donation! :)
    VERSION 1.1.1 IS NOW RELEASED

Ok, guys. I've spent all night (literally, haha it's 6:11am right now..) rewriting the entire way this toolbox operates, and it is MUCH better now!
    I have fully tested it on (2) Windows XP (32bit) machines, (2) Windows 7 (64bit) machines, (1) Windows 8 (64bit) machine, and also (1) Windows Server 2012 (64bit) machine tonight, and it's working perfectly.

Long story short: version 1.1 that I released yesterday got completely messed up when I modified some of the resources, and I just couldn't seem to get it to work right after that - therefore I re-did it.
    The Root script, Recovery script and Superuser/Busybox installations are working perfectly.
    (wifi adb, sideloading, backup/restore, etc.. still are not working, but I will try to get those done today or tomorrow.)

Please leave me feedback and let me know your system specs (ie: operating system, 32/64bit, ran as admin or not, etc..,) along with the exact issue and an error log if you're able to run JIT (just in-time debugger.) That way I can pinpoint errors/bugs and determine what is causing them, because I've had about 50% of you guys telling me that it was working, and the other 50% telling me that it wasn't, and I've been going crazy trying to figure out exactly what has been going wrong or right, haha. :)

Thank you guys!! :)
    Just fired up my new Ouya, and it instantly updated to 1.0.8. Will I be able to root with this method without messing up my system? Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Yes, this will root you on every known version of Ouya firmware that has been released so far.

Also, sorry for the extreme lack of updates and keeping up with you guys recently; I've taken a new job and have had my work schedule completely go crazy, but I will try to get on here to help and update when I can!
    Would someone mind helping me out, I'm getting the following error.
    After rooting, installing superuser, and installing busy box, I launch superuser on my Ouya. When it launches the dialog box that it must be updated comes up and I choose "Install" Then I get "There was an error installing Superuser. Please send a log of the error to the developer." After this, obviously busy box won't work. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Let me unroot mine and re-run the program now and see what happens. I wasn't home and able to test after I released 1.1, thank you guys for the feedback and I will get it fixed tonight if there is something wrong! :)

Thanks!

Kevinb - choosing the regular "install" option (not install from recovery) was the right choice, it should have worked for you.. When you run the script, are you seeing any errors or anything? I've ran it on my Ouya quite a few times before I posted it, and it worked every time, along with a few other people that were testing it for me.