P7510 to Flash or not to Flash

Search This thread

the_lanman

Jan 9, 2009
Hello,

I've got a P7510 on stock 4.0.4 that's been sitting around. Sometimes the kids play with it, but it's so slow that I don't use it anymore. In the past, I haven't used custom ROM's because for the most part my Android devices have done what I need them to do. In this case though, the P7510 is pretty abysmal. I've done a ton of reading on XDA and other places and I think I've come to the conclusion that it may not be worth flashing this unit. It seems that anything KitKat or JB is buggy and HC ROM's give little performance increase. I guess this is a last ditch effort to find out if there is in fact a ROM out there that increases the performance of this unit without loosing functionality. I've seen reports of Wifi not working, bad Youtube performance, Google Play problems etc... If it's time to retire it, so be it, but it would be cool if I could get more life out of it.

Currently I have it rooted using CWM 5.0.27 and I've found two prospects below. I believe CM brings it to Jelly Bean and Nameless brings it to KitKat.

cm-10.1-20140216-NIGHTLY-p4wifi.zip

nameless-4.4.2-20140322-p4wifi-HOMEMADE.zip

Any other suggestions?

Also, once a new ROM is loaded will I loose all current settings? I've seen mixed results on this subject. Some users seem to think you don't and some say you will during the data wipe. I've done a Nandroid backup and moved it off the SDCARD just in case. There are some games on it and the kids would lose their progress if wiped. Not a huge deal, but it would be nice to retain this data if possible.

Thanks for any help!

Reactions: Sal7_one

the_lanman

Jan 9, 2009
Thanks. I was determined this evening and found a solution that worked great for me and I didn't need to load a ROM. I installed the Mackay 1.5 kernel and overclocked with SetCPU using Governor ondemand Max 1400MHz / Min 216MHz. I turned off Window animation scale and Transition animation scale in the Developer options. So far everything is faster, and no stability issues. HD in Youtube and Netflix seems to work fine where before it was extremely jittery. We'll see how this all affects battery life, but so far I'm very pleased.

Thanks XDA!!

iZLeeP

Jan 23, 2014
Manila
Thanks. I was determined this evening and found a solution that worked great for me and I didn't need to load a ROM. I installed the Mackay 1.5 kernel and overclocked with SetCPU using Governor ondemand Max 1400MHz / Min 216MHz. I turned off Window animation scale and Transition animation scale in the Developer options. So far everything is faster, and no stability issues. HD in Youtube and Netflix seems to work fine where before it was extremely jittery. We'll see how this all affects battery life, but so far I'm very pleased.

Thanks XDA!!

Even without flashing custom kernel, stock ICS is good enough as it is. Root it, add busybox and init.d support, debloat your tab of unnecessary apps, install Greenify, try flashing performance scripts (e.g., V6, operation killjoy, crossbreeder, etc.).

anguslaw

Jan 14, 2007
Hey man, to totally solve the youtube hd lag problem, go to cwm recovery and format sdcard.
That's it.

I saw that solution long time ago and I didn't try. ( that solution was given by a samsung customer service). I tried several days ago and , wooow, it works.
But remember, it works on ICS only. Neither 4.3 or 4.4.

So, my recommendation is not to flash any 4.3 or 4.4 rom. toldo's ICS roms ( stock or jellybean ics) are the best choice out there. If youtube HD is not essential to you and you really want to try newer verisons , I would suggest OMNI 4.3 rom , not the 4.4. The Omni 4.3 rom is the smoothest 4.3 rom. of course, the youtube hd is still lagging. even you overclock it.

the_lanman

Jan 9, 2009
Hey man, to totally solve the youtube hd lag problem, go to cwm recovery and format sdcard.
That's it.

I saw that solution long time ago and I didn't try. ( that solution was given by a samsung customer service). I tried several days ago and , wooow, it works.
But remember, it works on ICS only. Neither 4.3 or 4.4.

So, my recommendation is not to flash any 4.3 or 4.4 rom. toldo's ICS roms ( stock or jellybean ics) are the best choice out there. If youtube HD is not essential to you and you really want to try newer verisons , I would suggest OMNI 4.3 rom , not the 4.4. The Omni 4.3 rom is the smoothest 4.3 rom. of course, the youtube hd is still lagging. even you overclock it.

Thanks, I may try this if it gets bad again. The tablet has been running great with the overclock. I ended up setting the governor to performance, which does impact battery life but not enough to make it terrible. Videos on Netflix and Youtube work fine on this setting.

Ccrowder

May 4, 2014
Newbie question - how to?

Thanks XDA!!

I'd really like to give this a try. But unfortunately, I'm really new to working with Android devices. I know that this is a total newbie question, but can someone give me a pointer to how to get started with this? I can see that the McKay 1.5 kernel that's precompiled for my device (the p7510) looks like it's ready to go. But I don't know how to install it on my device. Is it really just a matter of copying over the current kernel? It seems like that's way too simple and approach to work.

I really feel like I could get this done if I could get a pointer to the steps that need to be accomplished. Can somebody please help?

anguslaw

Jan 14, 2007
I'd really like to give this a try. But unfortunately, I'm really new to working with Android devices. I know that this is a total newbie question, but can someone give me a pointer to how to get started with this? I can see that the McKay 1.5 kernel that's precompiled for my device (the p7510) looks like it's ready to go. But I don't know how to install it on my device. Is it really just a matter of copying over the current kernel? It seems like that's way too simple and approach to work.

I really feel like I could get this done if I could get a pointer to the steps that need to be accomplished. Can somebody please help?

You mean flashing the kernel? Just download the kennel (the zip file), boot your tab into recovery (I use cwm recovery), then flash the zip file, wipe dalvik cache. Reboot, done.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,

I've got a P7510 on stock 4.0.4 that's been sitting around. Sometimes the kids play with it, but it's so slow that I don't use it anymore. In the past, I haven't used custom ROM's because for the most part my Android devices have done what I need them to do. In this case though, the P7510 is pretty abysmal. I've done a ton of reading on XDA and other places and I think I've come to the conclusion that it may not be worth flashing this unit. It seems that anything KitKat or JB is buggy and HC ROM's give little performance increase. I guess this is a last ditch effort to find out if there is in fact a ROM out there that increases the performance of this unit without loosing functionality. I've seen reports of Wifi not working, bad Youtube performance, Google Play problems etc... If it's time to retire it, so be it, but it would be cool if I could get more life out of it.

Currently I have it rooted using CWM 5.0.27 and I've found two prospects below. I believe CM brings it to Jelly Bean and Nameless brings it to KitKat.

cm-10.1-20140216-NIGHTLY-p4wifi.zip

nameless-4.4.2-20140322-p4wifi-HOMEMADE.zip

Any other suggestions?

Also, once a new ROM is loaded will I loose all current settings? I've seen mixed results on this subject. Some users seem to think you don't and some say you will during the data wipe. I've done a Nandroid backup and moved it off the SDCARD just in case. There are some games on it and the kids would lose their progress if wiped. Not a huge deal, but it would be nice to retain this data if possible.

Thanks for any help!