Manchester
www.androidaudiohacks.com
CoreControl

Only for users with ROOT ACCESS

Screenshot_2012_05_19_16_00_40.png
Screenshot_2012_05_19_16_07_50.png
Screenshot_2012_05_19_16_00_08.png
Screenshot_2012_05_19_15_59_50.png

(Screenshots show the battery profiles changing the core count)

This application will allow you to control how many cores are active on your phone!
Is your One X getting a little hot or is the battery running out a little too quick? This application attempts to solve these problems by allowing you to disable some of the processor's cores!

Battery Profiles Info (Please Read!)
[Battery Profiles will override whatever number is selected by the buttons at the top!]
First of all, this is nothing more than a proof of concept update. I realise that having a set number of profiles isn't the best idea and people will want to be able to change the cores on heat as well as battery level. There is also screen-off and charging profiles that need to be done. The layout is definitely not final either and will be changed in the next updates. I will try my best to incorporate these functions as well as others that have been requested.
Second, the 3 battery level values you can edit (in the Battery Profiles section) MUST go in descending order (e.g. 100, 80, 50, etc). The app will check for this.
The Battery profiles should take effect instantly.
Please expect bugs. This update is very much a proof of concept and whilst the battery profiles function correctly in my testing, bugs may very well arise.

Known Bugs
Very occasionally it will revert to the default of 4 cores when using the battery profiles. I've only ever seen this happen once and I have no idea what caused it.
Voltage is not currently colour-coded (I don't know the min/max levels)
Temperature is not fully colour-coded. Anything below 40C will be Green and anything above will be Red. More colours will be added when I know the Max battery temperature and I can work out good colour ranges.

Original thread - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1630200

I highly recommend you install TegraStats - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1615666 (or search 'Tegrastats Free' on the market) - to monitor how many are active.

If the file doesn't exist for you, try this fix!

Originally Posted by mike1986.
ok, my fault this time, sorry!

Open root explorer, go to system/etc/ and open init.post_boot.sh

navigate to line 115 and remove:

umount /sys/kernel/debug

save and reboot!

Changelog
Code:
v1.4.2
Hopefully fixed the pointless and repeated request for SU access

v1.4.1 [BETA]
Only ever asks for Root Access when changing cores
Added CPU temperature and frequency (Many thanks to Treebill!)
 - WARNING: The frequency jumps around a lot. I don't know if the file is buggy or this is actually happening
 - CPU temp and frequency only ever update when CoreControl is open. This will obviously be changed when CPU temperature profiles are introduced
 - CPU temp is fully colour-coded
Battery Temperature is now fully colour-coded (Many thanks to Treebill!)
General code clean up and optimisation

v1.4 [BETA]
Added Battery Profiles
 - See "Battery Profiles Info" above
Should get and display Battery Information quicker

[B]v1.3[/B]
UI Changes
Added a 'Battery Information' Sliding Drawer with the following information:
  - Battery Health
  - Power Type [USB/AC/Battery]
  - Battery Charge [With Battery state, Charging, Full, etc.]
  - Battery Temperature
  - Battery Voltage
It's all colour-coded too!
Battery Profiles are pretty much fully coded, they're not included in this release though. Should be done by next update.

[B]v1.2[/B]
Removed pointless code
Quite a few UI changes
Active Cores can now be set on boot (last one selected will be used).

[B]v1.1[/B]
Removed pointless "1 Core" option
Disabling/Enabling cores should be quicker (slightly)

[B]V1.0[/B]
Initial Release

Enjoy! :)

All credits go to MrPhilo and K0rner!

Attachments

• CoreControl.apk
    40 KB · Views: 4,719
  • CoreControlv1.1.apk
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,002
  • CoreControlv1.2.apk
    43.8 KB · Views: 981
  • CoreControlv1.3.apk
    51.2 KB · Views: 2,201
  • CoreControlv1.4.apk
    52.2 KB · Views: 2,247
  • CoreControlv1.4.1.apk
    53.8 KB · Views: 2,205
  • CoreControlv1.4.2.apk
    53.8 KB · Views: 25,743
Last edited:

jonas2295

Jan 4, 2010
Bavaria
Doesn't work on Android revolution hd because of missing file.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

Meltus

Jan 11, 2009
Manchester
Doesn't work on Android revolution hd because of missing file.

Really? That's what I'm running at it works fine :confused:

Edit: Added a potential fix for the missing file in the OP. I've not tested it personally, so I don't know for definite that it works. I'll test it out properly tomorrow and if it works I'll integrate it into the app :)

umount /sys/kernel/debug

save and reboot!

Last edited:

jonas2295

Jan 4, 2010
Bavaria
Really? That's what I'm running at it works fine :confused:

Edit: Added a potential fix for the missing file in the OP. I've not tested it personally, so I don't know for definite that it works :)

No time to try that now sry but someone else will do that I hope

brentett

Jun 27, 2011
Bel Air
it'd be cool if you could add a way to make it automatically turn off cores when your phone got to a certain battery percentage.

malte41

Nov 4, 2010
Berlin
Working great! so far (arhd 5.2.0)

For me personally your app is EXTREMLY usefull!!! I never play any games.... i bought the phone because it has a great camera. No need for 4 cores :) As long the camera works and the launcher runs smoothly i am happy! In combination with a no-sense rom, low brightness patch and a nice kernel i got enough energy for a day with taking a lot of photos. Thx a lot!

Meltus

Jan 11, 2009
Manchester
Working great! so far (arhd 5.2.0)

For me personally your app is EXTREMLY usefull!!! I never play any games.... i bought the phone because it has a great camera. No need for 4 cores :) As long the camera works and the launcher runs smoothly i am happy! In combination with a no-sense rom, low brightness patch and a nice kernel i got enough energy for a day with taking a lot of photos. Thx a lot!

No problem, glad you find it useful! Don't forget to thank MrPhilo and K0rner, they found out how to do it, I just made it into an app :)

If you need some help on graphics you can contact me :)

I may do! Gonna get everything functioning properly before I start thinking about graphics! :D

Meltus

Jan 11, 2009
Manchester
Didn't test but updated today and my guess I fixed it by switching kernel :) now on bricked kernel.

Regarding your graphic answer :
That's a good idea ;)

Ah fair enough! I'll play around with some ROMs later and see if I can confirm it works! :)

Small update for now; Removed the pointless "1 core" option and sped up disabling/enabling cores slightly!
New download is in the OP.

icke

Feb 12, 2007
Ahaus
Google Pixel 6
Great little helper!:)
Thank U for that. Works fine on LeeDrOid 6.2.0!
One suggestion: would be nice if there's an option to apply settings on boot. For me after rebooting last setting is gone.

But anyway: Thank U for this tool!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CoreControl

Only for users with ROOT ACCESS

Screenshot_2012_05_19_16_00_40.png
    Screenshot_2012_05_19_16_07_50.png
    Screenshot_2012_05_19_16_00_08.png
    Screenshot_2012_05_19_15_59_50.png

(Screenshots show the battery profiles changing the core count)

This application will allow you to control how many cores are active on your phone!
    Is your One X getting a little hot or is the battery running out a little too quick? This application attempts to solve these problems by allowing you to disable some of the processor's cores!

Battery Profiles Info (Please Read!)
    [Battery Profiles will override whatever number is selected by the buttons at the top!]
    First of all, this is nothing more than a proof of concept update. I realise that having a set number of profiles isn't the best idea and people will want to be able to change the cores on heat as well as battery level. There is also screen-off and charging profiles that need to be done. The layout is definitely not final either and will be changed in the next updates. I will try my best to incorporate these functions as well as others that have been requested.
    Second, the 3 battery level values you can edit (in the Battery Profiles section) MUST go in descending order (e.g. 100, 80, 50, etc). The app will check for this.
    The Battery profiles should take effect instantly.
    Please expect bugs. This update is very much a proof of concept and whilst the battery profiles function correctly in my testing, bugs may very well arise.

Known Bugs
    Very occasionally it will revert to the default of 4 cores when using the battery profiles. I've only ever seen this happen once and I have no idea what caused it.
    Voltage is not currently colour-coded (I don't know the min/max levels)
    Temperature is not fully colour-coded. Anything below 40C will be Green and anything above will be Red. More colours will be added when I know the Max battery temperature and I can work out good colour ranges.

Original thread - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1630200

I highly recommend you install TegraStats - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1615666 (or search 'Tegrastats Free' on the market) - to monitor how many are active.

If the file doesn't exist for you, try this fix!

umount /sys/kernel/debug

save and reboot!

Changelog
    Code:
    v1.4.2
    Hopefully fixed the pointless and repeated request for SU access

v1.4.1 [BETA]
    Only ever asks for Root Access when changing cores
    Added CPU temperature and frequency (Many thanks to Treebill!)
     - WARNING: The frequency jumps around a lot. I don't know if the file is buggy or this is actually happening
     - CPU temp and frequency only ever update when CoreControl is open. This will obviously be changed when CPU temperature profiles are introduced
     - CPU temp is fully colour-coded
    Battery Temperature is now fully colour-coded (Many thanks to Treebill!)
    General code clean up and optimisation

v1.4 [BETA]
    Added Battery Profiles
     - See "Battery Profiles Info" above
    Should get and display Battery Information quicker

[B]v1.3[/B]
    UI Changes
      - Battery Health
      - Battery Charge [With Battery state, Charging, Full, etc.]
      - Battery Temperature
      - Battery Voltage
    Battery Profiles are pretty much fully coded, they're not included in this release though. Should be done by next update.

[B]v1.2[/B]
    Removed pointless code
    Quite a few UI changes
    Active Cores can now be set on boot (last one selected will be used).

[B]v1.1[/B]
    Removed pointless "1 Core" option
    Disabling/Enabling cores should be quicker (slightly)

[B]V1.0[/B]
    Initial Release

Enjoy! :)

All credits go to MrPhilo and K0rner!
    UPDATE
    No Battery Profiles yet, sorry guys, but the profiles are pretty much completely coded in, I'm just far too tired to finish it tonight! Here's something you guys might like though :)

Screenshot_2012_05_16_23_17_23.png
    Screenshot_2012_05_16_23_17_30.png
    Screenshot_2012_05_16_23_17_41.png

v1.3
    UI Changes
    - Battery Health
    - Battery Charge [With Battery state; Charging, Full, etc.]
    - Battery Temperature
    - Battery Voltage

Download in the OP.

Enjoy :)
    Thanks for the awesome app. Funny thing is that it also works for the Asus Transformer Pad TF300t. Just thought you might wanna know. Maybe even add a option for the Tf300t to use only one core?

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA

Yeah it will do, it should work on any rooted device running a Tegra 3.
    Unfortunately, using only one core is not an option as the phone simply doesn't allow it. If you set the file to 1 (you can try it out yourself if you want) it still uses the second core whenever it needs to. There's no difference than just running it in dual-core mode :)

Sorry I haven't updated this in a while everyone, I have far too many projects on the go and far too much laziness to get them done quickly :p
    I'll try and get it updated fairly soon!
    Great app, thanks for making this easier for others and myself :)
    I am getting pretty good battery life in standby mode since I dropped to 2 cores can I try one core please.

I doubt my app will be helping in standby mode, the phone switches to the Companion Core when the screen is off and doesn't use any of the other 4.

I have found a mod which allows you to 'throttle' the companion core, possibly resulting in even better battery off time. For more information and future results please see this thread :)
    If my tests are successful and it does indeed save us some battery life I'll code the feature into CoreControl so it throttles the cpu when the screen is off and then un-throttles when the device wakes up :)