[HOWTO] 4 Ways To Disable Heads-Up Notifications In Lollipop

Search This thread

1edson

Sep 7, 2015
[HOWTO] 4 ways to disable Heads-Up Notifications on Lollipop

Hello, everyone!

I've been asked by a lot of friends on how to disable those notifications which pop up on the top of your phone's screen. They are mistakenly called "pop-up notifications", but their real name is Heads-Up notifications and can be really useful, but sometimes they are extremely annoying. Specially if you need to use a button or something that is located on the top of the screen right when the notification appears. Some ROMs do allow to turn them off in the Settings, but most of them don't.

So in this thread (which is my first here on XDA) I'm gonna put all the info I gathered during my research about disabling the Heads-Up notifications. These methods will COMPLETELY disable them for all applications while MAINTAINING regular notifications in the status bar. All of these methods are free. Some require a rooted device and some don't.

6I9MkMG.jpg

HOW TO DO IT

WITHOUT ROOT

1- ADB method (using your computer) [FREE]
Before trying this method, make sure you have installed Android ADB in your computer, that your phone is connected AND that you have "USB debugging" option enabled in the phone Settings.
If you don't have Android ADB, you can download it here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=48915118. If you have any questions concerning ADB and how to use it, take a look at this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2225405

a) Open a terminal and check if the device is connected using the following command:
Code:
adb devices
b) You should see your phone on the list that appears. Now use the following command:
Code:
adb shell settings put global heads_up_notifications_enabled 0
c) Reboot your phone.
d) Done!

2- HeadsOff app method [FREE]
a) Install "HeadsOff - TickerOn" - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jamworks.noheadsup&hl=en
b) Open the application.
c) Disable the Heads-Up notifications clicking on Settings.
d) Select "Start the App" button.
e) If a "Notification access" screen appears, allow the app to control your notifications by ticking it.
f) Reboot your phone.
g) Done!

Obs1.: Apparently there is also a paid version of this application in which you can enable/disable Heads-Up notifications for each individual application on your phone.
Obs2.: Credit for this method goes to user Jawomo, who posted it on this thread: http://xdaforums.com/android/apps-games/app-headsoff-disable-lollipop-heads-t3117929

WITH ROOT

3- Terminal method (directly from your phone) [FREE]
a) Install "Terminal Emulator for Android" - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jackpal.androidterm&hl=en
b) Open the application. Use the following command:
Code:
su
c) The indicator should change from "$" to "#". Do the following command now:
Code:
settings put global heads_up_notifications_enabled 0
d) Reboot your phone.
e) Done!

4- aSQLiteManager app [FREE]
a) Install "aSQLiteManager" - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dk.andsen.asqlitemanager&hl=en
b) Open the app and select "Open Database"
c) Press the ".." button until you reach the root folder ("/") and the ".." button disappears (usually three times).
d) Navigate to the following folder, allowing root request if it pops up: "/data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/"
e) Open the file "settings.db"
f) Select "global".
g) Press "PgDn" until you see the "heads_up_notifications_enabled" entry (on my phone it was the last entry, number 173).
h) Click on the "edit" button, change the "value" field to "0" and click "OK".
i) Reboot your phone.
j) Done!

DISCLAIMER/IMPORTANT INFORMATION
I do not have any affiliations with the creators/owners of the applications cited in this post. They were chosen solely based on their ability to accomplish the proposed task. If you see any mistakes or if I forgot to give you credit, please contact me and I will fix that right away. The above methods were tested on my N910C with rooted stock rom (Samsung Galaxy Note 4 - 5.0.1).

If you happen to know any other methods of disabling these notifications, please contact me so I can add them here as well.

THANKS!

Last edited:

ScarUY

Aug 7, 2016
adb shell settings put global heads_up_notifications_enabled 0 disabled all my notifications all together, not just the heads up, my phone is an Asus Zenfone 2 (ASUS_Z00AD) with all the patches up to July 1, 2016

Mar 13, 2012
is this method only disable the heads up notification
or can i still get the notification on the status bar?

and how to enable it again?

stcardinal

Jun 27, 2010
How do you reenable heads_up_notifications_enabled?

I tried: adb settings put global heads_up_notifications_enabled 1
but it still doesn't work

feddexx69

Jul 8, 2013
adb confirmed working, just updated my s7 edge to nougat and this issue was frustrating, i also use ticklr app for a preview of notifications without being intrusive

MateusMMG

Dec 29, 2016
Thanks Man s7 nougat ZTO Brazil Works

Samsung s7 nougat ZTO Brazil

turn off head fuc king ups works
thank you

use steps: 1- ADB method (using your computer) [FREE]

Jan 5, 2008
Hey, finally got the solution that works with the Galaxy S8!!

---------- Post added at 05:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 AM ----------

But I bet everybody knows it by now... anyway, if someone needs to know it's kinda easy though. Just gotta keep playing with the options. This way, you'll get sound, vibration and an icon on your locked up phone, but not the heads up banner, even if you've unlocked it and are either on the home, apps drawer pages or inside an app or game while using it. After you apply the solution, you need to restart or reboot the phone and that's it.

---------- Post added at 05:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:45 AM ----------

And as you all probably figure by now, the correct solution seems to be the one proposed by the great (to me anyway because he did it!) rostopira (post #9)! Thanks a lot! I was thinking on moving out to another phone until a solution came but now everything is cool... I know, I know, shouldn't despair and bail out so quickly but whaddayaknow maturity reaches us late in life!

widget2k13

Dec 4, 2015
Hey, finally got the solution that works with the Galaxy S8!!

---------- Post added at 05:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 AM ----------

But I bet everybody knows it by now... anyway, if someone needs to know it's kinda easy though. Just gotta keep playing with the options. This way, you'll get sound, vibration and an icon on your locked up phone, but not the heads up banner, even if you've unlocked it and are either on the home, apps drawer pages or inside an app or game while using it. After you apply the solution, you need to restart or reboot the phone and that's it.

---------- Post added at 05:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:45 AM ----------

And as you all probably figure by now, the correct solution seems to be the one proposed by the great (to me anyway because he did it!) rostopira (post #9)! Thanks a lot! I was thinking on moving out to another phone until a solution came but now everything is cool... I know, I know, shouldn't despair and bail out so quickly but whaddayaknow maturity reaches us late in life!

hi, could you please explain the procedure to get it working ?
post number 9 solution needs your phone to be rooted so not much good on the s8 as far as i know ?
thank you

Jan 5, 2008
Thanks for asking widget2k13!
Yes of course, you need to be rooted already and as you may guess, yes there's already root and TWRP for the S8. As usual there's already several threads for it here on XDA so I won't go into those details but it's very straight forward and you should be done in about 2 minutes after you download the Magisk version, which comes already with root. Please remember to remove PIN before you do it and all the rest should go easy enough.

widget2k13

Dec 4, 2015
Thanks for the help but I was hoping for a fix without root, I've never had a rooted phone and don't want to void my warranty as I took out 2 year extended warranty, having a rooted phone will only benefit me for WhatsApp heads up and nothing else that I can think of.

widget2k13

Dec 4, 2015
Thanks for asking widget2k13!
Yes of course, you need to be rooted already and as you may guess, yes there's already root and TWRP for the S8. As usual there's already several threads for it here on XDA so I won't go into those details but it's very straight forward and you should be done in about 2 minutes after you download the Magisk version, which comes already with root. Please remember to remove PIN before you do it and all the rest should go easy enough.

hi, i managed to root my phones and install the app but i dont see the app anywhere on my phone ?
could you please tell me how to get it working as this was my only reason to root the phone
thank you

Jan 5, 2008
Thanks for asking! Actually you won't find the app anywhere, all it does is changing the heads up behavior but remember you need to restart or reboot your phone after you installed it.
So no, you won't need to do anything else, all the while assuming that you've already selected the proper notifications' options under both WhatsApp & Messages own settings.
First time I did it I thought nothing had changed but after I restarted the phone twice I realized it worked!
And it works at least with both Messages & WhatsApp, which were the 2 main concerns of mine at the moment. Now I get vibration, sound, an icon, a hidden banner but no pop-ups or flying banner as before and finally some privacy!

widget2k13

Dec 4, 2015
Damn, still not working for me, changed all the settings correctly and restarted phone loads of times, looks like I rooted for nothing lol

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [HOWTO] 4 ways to disable Heads-Up Notifications on Lollipop

Hello, everyone!

I've been asked by a lot of friends on how to disable those notifications which pop up on the top of your phone's screen. They are mistakenly called "pop-up notifications", but their real name is Heads-Up notifications and can be really useful, but sometimes they are extremely annoying. Specially if you need to use a button or something that is located on the top of the screen right when the notification appears. Some ROMs do allow to turn them off in the Settings, but most of them don't.

So in this thread (which is my first here on XDA) I'm gonna put all the info I gathered during my research about disabling the Heads-Up notifications. These methods will COMPLETELY disable them for all applications while MAINTAINING regular notifications in the status bar. All of these methods are free. Some require a rooted device and some don't.

6I9MkMG.jpg

HOW TO DO IT

WITHOUT ROOT

1- ADB method (using your computer) [FREE]
    Before trying this method, make sure you have installed Android ADB in your computer, that your phone is connected AND that you have "USB debugging" option enabled in the phone Settings.
    If you don't have Android ADB, you can download it here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=48915118. If you have any questions concerning ADB and how to use it, take a look at this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2225405

a) Open a terminal and check if the device is connected using the following command:
    Code:
    adb devices
    b) You should see your phone on the list that appears. Now use the following command:
    Code:
    adb shell settings put global heads_up_notifications_enabled 0
    c) Reboot your phone.
    d) Done!

2- HeadsOff app method [FREE]
    a) Install "HeadsOff - TickerOn" - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jamworks.noheadsup&hl=en
    b) Open the application.
    c) Disable the Heads-Up notifications clicking on Settings.
    d) Select "Start the App" button.
    e) If a "Notification access" screen appears, allow the app to control your notifications by ticking it.
    f) Reboot your phone.
    g) Done!

Obs1.: Apparently there is also a paid version of this application in which you can enable/disable Heads-Up notifications for each individual application on your phone.
    Obs2.: Credit for this method goes to user Jawomo, who posted it on this thread: http://xdaforums.com/android/apps-games/app-headsoff-disable-lollipop-heads-t3117929

WITH ROOT

3- Terminal method (directly from your phone) [FREE]
    a) Install "Terminal Emulator for Android" - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jackpal.androidterm&hl=en
    b) Open the application. Use the following command:
    Code:
    su
    c) The indicator should change from "$" to "#". Do the following command now:
    Code:
    settings put global heads_up_notifications_enabled 0
    d) Reboot your phone.
    e) Done!

4- aSQLiteManager app [FREE]
    a) Install "aSQLiteManager" - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dk.andsen.asqlitemanager&hl=en
    b) Open the app and select "Open Database"
    c) Press the ".." button until you reach the root folder ("/") and the ".." button disappears (usually three times).
    d) Navigate to the following folder, allowing root request if it pops up: "/data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/"
    e) Open the file "settings.db"
    f) Select "global".
    g) Press "PgDn" until you see the "heads_up_notifications_enabled" entry (on my phone it was the last entry, number 173).
    h) Click on the "edit" button, change the "value" field to "0" and click "OK".
    i) Reboot your phone.
    j) Done!

DISCLAIMER/IMPORTANT INFORMATION
    I do not have any affiliations with the creators/owners of the applications cited in this post. They were chosen solely based on their ability to accomplish the proposed task. If you see any mistakes or if I forgot to give you credit, please contact me and I will fix that right away. The above methods were tested on my N910C with rooted stock rom (Samsung Galaxy Note 4 - 5.0.1).

If you happen to know any other methods of disabling these notifications, please contact me so I can add them here as well.

THANKS!
    I've wrote simple (50 lines of code) app for enabling and disabling heads from quick settings for Android N
    P.S.: Root required. Reboot not required
    APK here: View attachment Heads-up_Switcher_v1.apk
    Source on GitHub https://github.com/rostopira/Heads-up_Switcher
    I had success with modifying this xml file in Root Explorer:
    /data/system/users/0/settings_global.xml

I edited
    heads_up_notifications_enabled
    to be 0 and rebooted.

It seems good so far.
    Did power notification control works on S8 plus??? On S8 once activated level slider is unresponsive! On LG G6 too... What I'm missing?

for the s7 and s8 ,
    this worked for me
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24nlS_ZAj18
    I am on Android 7 Samsung device (A5 2016)8
    I couldn't find settings.db
    This worked for me:
    - With a root file explorer locate
    /data/system/users/0/settings_system.xml
    - Open file
    - Edit "heads_up_notifications_enabled" entry to "0"
    -reboot

I also installed heads up switch APK but I get a "security exception" error when try to use it