Pantech Element TWRP Recovery and Stock Rooted Roms

Search This thread

jmz

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 17, 2008
Lawton, OK
www.jmzsoft.com
Google Pixel 4a 5G
This is TWRP recovery and Stock rooted roms for the ICS firmware on the tablet.

These will only work if you currently have ICS running on your tablet. If you still have honeycomb then do the upgrade first.

Nothing was added or removed from the stock roms besides root and busybox.

Only bug with TWRP is that you can't mount sdcard in recovery. Just use adb push.

Instructions for installing TWRP Recovery:

1. Ensure you have Android SDK installed with adb and fastboot working

2. Download both the twrprecovery.img and twrprecovery.zip from here

3. Copy twrprecovery.zip to external sdcard

4. Reboot tablet to bootloader by issuing the command "adb reboot bootloader"

5. Then "fastboot boot twrprecovery.img"

6. When in recovery choose install then browse to /sdcard and choose twrprecovery.zip and flash that zip

7. Now TWRP is installed permanently.

attn1 - gave me some help since I am new to pantech devices
Dees_troy - for TWRP code obviously
Tassadar - for his rotation code for twrp. Without this it wouldn't have been possible

jmz

Sep 17, 2008
Lawton, OK
www.jmzsoft.com
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Disclaimer: Flash this ROM at your own risk. I am not responsible for what you do on your device. I left this stock to provide a base for anybody that wants to use it. Mod this rom how you want. Just please remember to give credit where credit is due.

This is a pure stock rooted rom. It has items like busybox, init.d support and so forth. No apps were added or removed. Both Odexed and Deodexed versions below.

Downloads

Last edited:

mavblues

Nov 2, 2008
Once I reboot into fastboot, I am getting 'cannot load twrprecovery.img': no error

Any ideas? I even created a directory named tools in the adb directory on my computer and moved twrprecovery.img into it.
(Thought that might help).

Where is the twrprecovery.img file supposed to reside? (On the computer, or on the phone?)

Reactions: rtuesta

jmz

Sep 17, 2008
Lawton, OK
www.jmzsoft.com
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Once I reboot into fastboot, I am getting 'cannot load twrprecovery.img': no error

Any ideas? I even created a directory named tools in the adb directory on my computer and moved twrprecovery.img into it.
(Thought that might help).

Where is the twrprecovery.img file supposed to reside? (On the computer, or on the phone?)

On the computer. your command prompt should be at wherever you put twrprecovery.img file is. So for example you put twrprecovery.img at the root of c:, your command prompt should read c:/ .....

Sent from my M7 using xda premium

mavblues

Nov 2, 2008
Tada!!!

Thanks, you rock!

---------- Post added at 01:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

OK, stupid question:

How do you reboot to TWRP? It loaded the first time, and I did a backup.

After reboot, I can only seem to get into the standard recovery.

What is the button combination to get to TWRP?

Also, will we be able to use goo manager to update TWRP as new versions come out, or is this a custom version?

TIA

jmz

Sep 17, 2008
Lawton, OK
www.jmzsoft.com
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Tada!!!

Thanks, you rock!

---------- Post added at 01:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

OK, stupid question:

Also, will we be able to use goo manager to update TWRP as new versions come out, or is this a custom version?

TIA

Read the instructions. :) You HAVE to flash the zip I provided for recovery to be installed permanently.

This recovery required some special code for screen rotation. Dees_troy is working on getting it added to mainline. So right now you can't get it through goo manager. But I work closely with Dees to make sure all my builds are officially supported. I will post here when it becomes available through there

mavblues

Nov 2, 2008
Read the instructions. :) You HAVE to flash the zip I provided for recovery to be installed permanently.

This recovery required some special code for screen rotation. Dees_troy is working on getting it added to mainline. So right now you can't get it through goo manager. But I work closely with Dees to make sure all my builds are officially supported. I will post here when it becomes available through there

Got it - working great!

dagadu

May 17, 2009
I'm stuck on fastboot mode. <waiting on device>
I tried unplug/replug USB to different connector, and it's still on <waiting for device>
I even tried to install driver manually from each files pantech folder and still no response
TWRP is on same folder and also set on environment variable
I have done adb devices and it detects as PORORO03111xxxxxxxxxxx
Any suggestion guys?

jmz

Sep 17, 2008
Lawton, OK
www.jmzsoft.com
Google Pixel 4a 5G
I tried unplug/replug USB to different connector, and it's still on <waiting for device>
I even tried to install driver manually from each files pantech folder and still no response
Any suggestion guys?

Waiting on device in fastboot means drivers aren't installed or the wrong ones are. Download the software upgrade app from pantech site then install. Browse to the install directory and run the installer for the drivers. But before that uninstall whatever drivers you have installed currently. I'm mobile or else I would link you directly

Reactions: jumblies

mavblues

Nov 2, 2008
Any suggestion guys?

Did you check "USB debugging" on the tablet?

Also, I had to set USB connection on the tablet to the last choice "PC Data Mode".

Hope it helps.

dagadu

May 17, 2009
Waiting on device in fastboot means drivers aren't installed or the wrong ones are. Download the software upgrade app from pantech site then install. Browse to the install directory and run the installer for the drivers. But before that uninstall whatever drivers you have installed currently. I'm mobile or else I would link you directly

Is this what you're referring to? I download it from Pantech website.
htt p://c7240 62.r62 .cf2.rackcdn. com/PantechPCSuite_1.1.1.3437. exe

When do I need to install the driver? During fastboot mode, or normal mode?
I also notice that when I change the usb mode to MTP, it detects missing driver as well.
During normal mode it detects 2 pantech drivers in order to connect to pc suite.

Oya, when you guys do adb devices, does your device detect POROROxxxxxxx as well or only numbers?
I wonder this has anything to do with it, because I was trying to root with honeycomb version earlier and my pantech is ICS 4.0.4

jmz

Sep 17, 2008
Lawton, OK
www.jmzsoft.com
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Is this what you're referring to? I download it from Pantech website.
htt p://c7240 62.r62 .cf2.rackcdn. com/PantechPCSuite_1.1.1.3437. exe

When do I need to install the driver? During fastboot mode, or normal mode?
I also notice that when I change the usb mode to MTP, it detects missing driver as well.
During normal mode it detects 2 pantech drivers in order to connect to pc suite.

Oya, when you guys do adb devices, does your device detect POROROxxxxxxx as well or only numbers?
I wonder this has anything to do with it, because I was trying to root with honeycomb version earlier and my pantech is ICS 4.0.4

Anytime when the tablet is not plugged in. This will make the computer automatically install anything needed for the tablet and you won't have issues with fastboot or adb anymore

Oct 6, 2009

6. When in recovery choose install then browse to /sdcard and choose twrprecovery.zip and flash that zip

I did not understand anything of this manual...
I took the CWM file for Pantech A810S and replaced it recovery to ours, flashed(connect working Element to PC and start cwm.but), everything works.

Attachments

• PantechElementTWRP.rar
    7.6 MB · Views: 901
Last edited:

dagadu

May 17, 2009
I did not understand anything of this manual...
I took the CWM file for Pantech A810S and replaced it recovery to ours, flashed(connect working Element to PC and start cwm.but), everything works.

Actually it's similar steps; however, yours is more like 1-click root
Anyway, I tried everything all above, but it didn't solve my problem, then I found the solution from other website
I just want to share in case others are stuck in fastboot mode like me:

1. When your tablet screen is on fastboot mode (white), go to device manager on your pc
2. Right click on Android > Update driver
3. Click on Browse driver
4. Choose Let me pick manually from my pc list
5. Choose Android phone and pick the first list there. It should be "Android ADB..."
6. Install and fastboot continued

if you can't find Android ADB from your pc list, then you should unplug device then install PC Suite.
here's the old tuts: youtube com/watch?v=UHRonVzBMsI

Hopefully it helps others and thank you very much for all your help!

Last edited:

nyarrgh

Nov 5, 2006
Finally! and a question

Finally a recovery for the element! Rhanks to the OP. Now I am less afraid to tinker with my tablet.

Question: The most important thing right now that I'd like to do is move the folder /data/data from the internal storage, to the internal SD card. This is stopping me from using Google Magazines and Google music, since their data is being stored there, and it shares space with actual applications. 1GB is not that much space for APPS, Dalvik Cache and APPs' data when you add magazines, and when google starts caching Music and Chrome data there. I currently only have 300MB left before I install Music and magazines. And that is AFTER I've used app2sd on all apps that can be moved. How do I do this?

I have tried simply creating a Link using "ln - s /mnt/sdcard/data /data/data" once I copied/moved the contents of the directory, which sort of works initially, but it will not work after a reboot. It actually stops my tablet from booting. (again, thanks to the OP for the recovery).

right now, I am just doing an "ln" on the specific folder inside the /data/data folder, but it acts weird when I use Titanium Backup to restore data

-> Android noob <-

ALD3

Aug 31, 2011
OC, Florida
Installing TWRP went smooth as silk. With twrprecovery.zip on you micro sdcard and Element connected with usb cable and USB debuuging checked 1.Just copy twrprecovery.img into your sdk folder/ platform-tools and also have a copy of cmd.exe from windows in the platform-tools folder. 2. Start cmd.exe and type or copy & paste command reboot bootloader 3. Then on white screen(fastboot) type or paste command fastboot boot twrprecovery.img 4. When you boot into TWRP install twrprecovery.zip.....As you rebbot system TWRP should ask if you want Supersu installed and swipe to install. Once rebooted install supersu from the Play store and open Supersu to update SU file all should be good

Thanks for the info and files. I know I'm a little late on this Tablet but picked it up cheap and with ATT 4G it goes along with my devices. The orginial owner hadn't even installed ICS and she wasn't even aware of an update. She now owns an Apple :laugh::laugh:device LOL

marcustaz

May 31, 2012
I just picked one up for $90 bucks off ebay. It was on slickdeals .net

Figured i'd use it around the pool and save my phone! :)

No one has deved a JB rom though :(Could KK even be possible?

ALD3

Aug 31, 2011
OC, Florida
I just picked one up for $90 bucks off ebay. It was on slickdeals .net

Figured i'd use it around the pool and save my phone! :)

No one has deved a JB rom though :(Could KK even be possible?

Yes good deal, got mine last month on Craigslist for $70.00 and works really well. The owner hadn't even updated to 4.0 or even knew how. It is a good tablet and have rooted it. I think its development is pretty well dead as not many sold. Only thing bad about it is the Element reads 2nd partition instead of 1st as most android devices do, so harder to use link2sd or folder mount as they both use 2nd partition.

Sent from my PantechP4100 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is TWRP recovery and Stock rooted roms for the ICS firmware on the tablet.

These will only work if you currently have ICS running on your tablet. If you still have honeycomb then do the upgrade first.

Nothing was added or removed from the stock roms besides root and busybox.

Only bug with TWRP is that you can't mount sdcard in recovery. Just use adb push.

attn1 - gave me some help since I am new to pantech devices
    Dees_troy - for TWRP code obviously
    Tassadar - for his rotation code for twrp. Without this it wouldn't have been possible
    Disclaimer: Flash this ROM at your own risk. I am not responsible for what you do on your device. I left this stock to provide a base for anybody that wants to use it. Mod this rom how you want. Just please remember to give credit where credit is due.

This is a pure stock rooted rom. It has items like busybox, init.d support and so forth. No apps were added or removed. Both Odexed and Deodexed versions below.

Downloads
    I know this is hail mary pass, but does anyone have a ROM image they could share?

Since Pantech is no longer a going concern, I cannot find either the pantech recovery software or any available ROM images for download.

I have the ICS rom and the upgrade tool in a zip, but it's too large to attach. Site won't allow it.
    Tada!!!

Thanks, you rock!

OK, stupid question:

TIA

ICS upgrade package from Pantech

Huge thanks to mavblues on this!

and if anyone needs root, I confirm the web page loaded Towelroot works. Just install apk and then SuperSU from play store.