[Q] Alcatel OT-980 root and rom development

Search This thread

Watcher0

Apr 16, 2012
Can't enable wifi, and therefore can't enable wifi hotspot. It either says error, or restarts the phone.

What launcher do you recommend by the way?

Idontknow186

Apr 7, 2012
Watcher have you applied update 1? Because I think the original release may have had bugs with the wifi which could lead to reboots. I think I forgot to push the updated wireless drivers (for the kernel modifications). Also wifi hotspot may not work at all I haven't tested it (its the same kernel as the original phone so if it wasn't in any of the ROMS by Alcatel my bet would be it probably can't work / isn't supported by the wireless chipset). The current port is a massive hack (its basically based off a ROM for OT990 since I couldn't pull the Froyo sources. The git for them was down I could only pull the gingerbread sources :/) its a stop gap before I build a proper version via Cynogenmod sources (Gingerbread). On the kernel end of things most of the stuff for Gingerbread is there so its mainly the userland / setting it up for the funny partition layout (custpack).

Last edited:
Reactions: gwadadroid

Watcher0

Apr 16, 2012
Yes I applied update 1, then update 2.

Also, the browser is crashing hard on some sites, perhaps even random sites.
Last thing I tried is checking the arrivals on manchester airport, but every time I tried it crashed.

Idontknow186

Apr 7, 2012
Thanks I'll look into the browser crashes. I just realized I didn't update the memory values for the lowmemorykiller which can explain the lag we are seeing in the ROM.

Idontknow186

Apr 7, 2012
I'm planning a fairly large update in a week or two to get most of this stuff sorted out. I'm hoping to get most of the compatibility issues fixed via this update (initially we might regress on stuff like camera support at the worst case but I'm hoping to eliminate all force closes). My plan is to get rid of most of the reported issues via this update (I might break a few minors things but I'm hoping we get a more usable ROM).

Idontknow186

Apr 7, 2012
I'll probably release an alpha once the basics are working :) (at least radio, wifi and sound). Hint of whats coming attached. Now back to getting the sound working correctly then to worry about other things.

Attachments

• screenshot-1335060396415.png
    screenshot-1335060396415.png
    86.3 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

gwadadroid

Apr 23, 2012
Paris
froyo beta test

Hello guys !
I'm new on this forum
I've bought this Alcatel OT 980 (azerty keyboard) and I would like to use it as a mobile Wireless Wifi hotspot but it seems that netfilter/iptables package is missing with the kernel (bundled with BouyguesTelecom).

I've installed Froyo on this phone very great job "Idontknow186"
the phone is much faster but crashing a lot, sometimes the wireless wifi settings cash and reboot the phone.
When I tried to hang up after a phone call i've got an error this com.android.
Another problem it's not possible de settings the APN profile to connect with 3G or 2G.
It it possible to have "azerty" as main keyboard with you rom ?

Thanks

Idontknow186

Apr 7, 2012
Hello guys !
I'm new on this forum
I've bought this Alcatel OT 980 (azerty keyboard) and I would like to use it as a mobile Wireless Wifi hotspot but it seems that netfilter/iptables package is missing with the kernel (bundled with BouyguesTelecom).

I've installed Froyo on this phone very great job "Idontknow186"
the phone is much faster but crashing a lot, sometimes the wireless wifi settings cash and reboot the phone.
When I tried to hang up after a phone call i've got an error this com.android.
Another problem it's not possible de settings the APN profile to connect with 3G or 2G.
It it possible to have "azerty" as main keyboard with you rom ?

Thanks
I'm working on stability issues via a upgrade to CM based GIngerbread. Also please install update 1, update 2 it fixes the hang up issue and makes wireless slightly more stable. I'll release an alpha of gingerbread this week which should be more stable (I'll include a update.zip for azerty I have the files thanks to Darky). There probably will be minor bugs / missing features but I'm hoping to get the basics (wireless, radio and sound) working and a more stable ROM.

If your technical you can get the same files pushed via adb for this device by extracting the system.yaffs.img made via the back up and grabbing the files in /system/usr/keychar and /system/usr/keylayout [might be a bit off] and pushing them on to the device in the exact same place.

Last edited:

gwadadroid

Apr 23, 2012
Paris
I'm working on stability issues via a upgrade to CM based GIngerbread. Also please install update 1, update 2 it fixes the hang up issue and makes wireless slightly more stable. I'll release an alpha of gingerbread this week which should be more stable (I'll include a update.zip for azerty I have the files thanks to Darky). There probably will be minor bugs / missing features but I'm hoping to get the basics (wireless, radio and sound) working and a more stable ROM.

If your technical you can get the same files pushed via adb for this device by extracting the system.yaffs.img made via the back up and grabbing the files in /system/usr/keychar and /system/usr/keylayout [might be a bit off] and pushing them on to the device in the exact same place.

In fact I've already installed update 2 :(
I've extract files from system.yaffs.img so should I push the corect file on recovery mode ?
It is possible to compile netfilter/iptables package to make wireless tethering ?
Regards.

Idontknow186

Apr 7, 2012
In fact I've already installed update 2 :(
I've extract files from system.yaffs.img so should I push the corect file on recovery mode ?
It is possible to compile netfilter/iptables package to make wireless tethering ?
Regards.
I'll have an alpha update to gingerbread this Saturday with at least the basics so I'll include AZERTY files and see if I can get netfilter / iptables support for tethering in. So probably upgrading to a gingerbread alpha is better option I have to still check if the crashes are fixed but it seems more stable and is less of a hack job. In terms of what might be missing possibly GPS support, bluetooth and camera (GSP I might be able to get working in time or as a minor update, latter I have to investigate still).

Cynogen based tethering isn't supported by the driver so I'll include the kernel stuff for third party apps if I can. Or may be I need the same stuff for it but it should be easy to enable. Status wise for it: Wifi, Data, and Sound are working main thing missing is hardware acceleration but its not too bad currently without it since neither Froyo or Eclair had it enabled :p.

Last edited:

gwadadroid

Apr 23, 2012
Paris
I'll have an alpha update to gingerbread this Saturday with at least the basics so I'll include AZERTY files and see if I can get netfilter / iptables support for tethering in. So probably upgrading to a gingerbread alpha is better option I have to still check if the crashes are fixed but it seems more stable and is less of a hack job. In terms of what might be missing possibly GPS support, bluetooth and camera (GSP I might be able to get working in time or as a minor update, latter I have to investigate still).

Cynogen based tethering isn't supported by the driver so I'll include the kernel stuff for third party apps if I can. Or may be I need the same stuff for it but it should be easy to enable. Status wise for it: Wifi, Data, and Sound are working main thing missing is hardware acceleration but its not too bad currently without it since neither Froyo or Eclair had it enabled :p.

Wow you're doing really a fantastic job to make love this OT-980 ;)
GPS doesn't work it keep searching for location but the app get close after a few seconds with no message error.

I'm too excited to test your alfa release with gingerbread on it :)
Regards.

Idontknow186

Apr 7, 2012
I just figured out why Alcatel disabled HW acceleration for compositing (the MOVE still has the same stupid bug) it was so their logo appears fine on the boot screen. Other wise the hardware supports it and it works fine. So I'm going just enable it and fix the boot screen it just needs a larger image or else the pitch will screw up (I think, if I can't fix it don't be surprised by a corrupted Alcatel logo for less then a second or two). Only advantage you gain animations use hardware and things which use hardware surfaces actually get them. Oh and the awesome screen off animation works :p. Animations are now silky smooth between windows.

EDIT: That was easy enough to fix. So logo will look fine :D

Last edited:

Watcher0

Apr 16, 2012
I'm suspecting my phone has some trouble with audio volume control, sometimes my earphones sound very quiet even though it is on max, the phone is on max, and there are times, when less than 50% volume it is easily louder than the traffic noise around me. I first thought it was the earphones, but I don't see how, they don't go unexpectedly silent and back, even if I twist it around...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Gingerbread Final (Test release / RC)

Getting the files
    1) Download update.zip from http://dl.dropbox.com/u/71594697/GB RC1/update.zip
    2) Place on sdcard root keep name as update.zip
    3) Download google apps from http://dl.dropbox.com/u/71594697/Gingerbread Alpha 1/gapps.zip (the update is the same as the cyanogenmod one except it mounts the custpack partition)
    4) Place on sdcard root keep name as gapps.zip

Only if your upgrading from Eclair follow this step
    Installing recovery (for Eclair only)
    1) Get the update package at: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/71594697/Update Package.zip (this is the Foryo one we only use it to install the recovery)
    2) Power off your device (do not plug in to the USB port on your computer)
    3) Hold Q and the Power button (if anything appears on your screen back to step 2)
    4) Run InstallUpdateRecovery.bat in the install package.
    5) Unplug your device (remove the battery, hold power and re-insert the battery)

Installing Gingerbread
    Note if your already on gingerbread follow steps and make sure you install google apps before the reboot

1) Hold the volume down and power (it should boot into recovery). If it doesn't
    the power off device and try again.
    2) Once in recovery use left button on keypad to move selections and power to select an entry. Q to go back.
    3) Select Apply update.zip from the menu
    3) Select Install zip from sdcard
    4) Select choose zip from sdcard
    5) Select gapps.zip in the list
    6) Select Yes - Install gapps.zip
    7) Eclair only: format your data partition from mounts and storage menu. This may not be required but after the reboot if you see a boot loop please do this step.
    8) Reboot the device via the menu. If you end up in recovery again unplug your device (remove the battery, hold power and re-insert the battery).

After Reboot (on new install only)
    1) Wait for touch screen calibration first to calibrate your screen
    2) Touch the Android like normal (press menu to set up your APN if you have data)
    3) Setup your google account
    4) If you need wireless then hit back (or cancel not sure which one :p) when its trying to connect (it will offer an option to connect)
    5) Enjoy Gingerbread and report any bugs!

AZERTY / European gps.conf
    See: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25640971&postcount=349 for files
    For each file you want to install:
    2) Once in recovery use left button on keypad to move selections and power to select an entry.
    If you get select the wrong menu remove battery and enter recovery again.
    4) Select power off from the menu to shut down. After a couple of seconds remove
    the battery, hold power and re-insert the battery to avoid booting into recovery.

Notes
    - What works: Cellular, Data, GPS, Camera, Bluetooth, Tethering
    - Please enter your APN settings for your network to get data
    - Update will not format your user data partition
    - Dalvik heap and compcache are set to 24mb, 10% respectively. Feel free to tweak via cyanogenmod settings
    - Kernel source: https://github.com/Idontknow186/Alcatel-OT980-Kernel

Whats new
    - Bluetooth
    - Tethering
    - Camera support for locations, effects and zooming
    - GPS related changes
    - Rebased against newer nightly gingerbread branch (for better or worse)

What needs to be tested
    - Bluetooth headsets
    - GPS reliability (modified drivers again)

Known Issues
    - You may need to tell your favorite tethering application to not use wpa_supplicant
    - GPS config is for North America so fix may be slower in other countries (see update above for european config)
    - Stock keyboard is oversized. Install your favorite from the market (should be fine I'm currently using stock).
    - More reliable wireless in some cases with Regulatory domain: 14 (don't quote me on it might be nothing :p)
    - Might break if you use link2sd, may need to format data. Can some one who is using it try updating the su binary in the super user application via the preferences after installation (not a 100% confirmed fix so try at your own risk).
    - Bluetooth not functional for voice calls
    Noticed we are missing code for the GPS in the Camera drivers so going to see if I can get it to work. Got zooming fixed which was easy to enable.
    Gingerbread Alpha 1

Note: This update has not been tested upgrading from eclar so if your coming from it follow the back up steps (http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=24847104&postcount=264). It probably does work but a back up is recommended no need to update to froyo first. Overall it is more stable then Froyo despite being an Alpha (I'll move it to beta status next week once we have bluetooth)

Getting the files
    1) Download update.zip from http://dl.dropbox.com/u/71594697/Gingerbread Alpha 1/update.zip
    2) Place on sdcard root keep name as update.zip
    3) Download google apps from http://dl.dropbox.com/u/71594697/Gingerbread Alpha 1/gapps.zip (these are the same are modified to mount the custpack partition unlike the standard cynogen ones)
    4) Place on sdcard root keep name as gapps.zip

Only if your upgrading from Eclair follow this step
    Installing recovery (for Eclair only)
    1) Get the update package at: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/71594697/Update Package.zip (this is the Foryo one we only use it to install the recovery)
    2) Power off your device (do not plug in to the USB port on your computer)
    3) Hold Q and the Power button (if anything appears on your screen back to step 2)
    4) Run InstallUpdateRecovery.bat in the install package.
    5) Unplug your device (remove the battery, hold power and re-insert the battery)

Installing Gingerbread
    2) Once in recovery use left button on keypad to move selections and power to select an entry.
    4) Select power off from the menu to shut down. After a couple of seconds remove
    the battery, hold power and re-insert the battery to avoid booting into recovery.

Installing Google Applications
    3) Select Install zip from sdcard
    4) Select choose zip from sdcard
    5) Select gapps.zip in the list
    6) Select Yes - Install gapps.zip
    7) Select power off from the menu to shut down. After a couple of seconds remove

Reboot device
    1) Wait for touch screen calibration first to calibrate your screen
    2) Touch the Android like normal (press menu to set up your APN if you have data)
    3) Setup your google account
    4) If you need wireless then hit back (or cancel not sure which one :p) when its trying to connect (it will offer an option to connect)
    5) Enjoy Gingerbread and report any bugs!

AZERTY / European gps.conf
    See: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25640971&postcount=349 for files
    For each file you want to install:

Important Install Update 1 from: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25742778&postcount=364

Notes
    - What works: Cellular, Data, GPS, Camera
    - What doesn't: Bluetooth, Tethering (untested but probably doesn't :/)
    - Tethering is not supported or at least I haven't tested it and doesn't work yet (sorry next update possibly)
    - Update will format your userdata and cache partition
    - Future updates will be large [about the same size] (they won't format data and cache any more)
    - You can tweak settings via cynognemod settings some of the values like dalvik-heap are on default (I'll bump these up in a future update)
    - Some junk is left over for developers will be removed in a future update (forgot it in a rush :D)
    - Kernel source: https://github.com/Idontknow186/Alcatel-OT980-Kernel

Known Issues
    - Audio recording is broken in most applications (Fixed in update 1)
    -Mute does not work in the phone application during a call please don't use it!! Fixed in update 1
    - To turn screen on in the phone press any key other then hangup or predictably you know what will happen (probably expected, don't know if this happened in stock)
    - Stay away from Clockworkmod it does not work on this ROM
    - GPS config is for North America so fix may be slower in other countries (see update above for european config)
    - Stock keyboard is oversized. Install your favorite from the market (should be fine I'm currently using stock).
    - More reliable wireless in some cases with Regulatory domain: 14 (don't quote me on it might be nothing :p)
    Froyo 2.2.2

INSTRUCTIONS ARE DEPRECATED [A GINGERBREAD UPDATE WILL BE RELEASED SOON PLEASE AVOID]

An update package is included (its designed for Windows but if your familiar with fastboot just follow what the bat files do after getting fastboot for your platform.) If your device doesn't boot for some reason restore the back up you made your data should be restored. By flashing the update.zip in this package you are formatting your data partition (so you will have to reinstall applications if the update is successful). You can get the update package at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/71594697/Update Package.zip its about 125 mb. Please use instructions from the forum the instructions in the zip are older. Make sure you also read the notes below before installing.

Backing up
    1) Power off your device (do not plug in to the USB port on your computer)
    2) Hold Q and the Power button (if anything appears on your screen back to step 1)
    3) Plug your device into your USB port
    4) Run InstallBackupRecovery.bat in the install package.
    6) Hold the volume down and power (it should boot into recovery). If it doesn't
    7) Once in recovery use left button on keypad to move selections and power to select an entry.
    8) Select Backup and restore
    9) Select backup (allow it to complete)
    10) Select power off from the menu to shut down. After a couple of seconds remove

Restoring (incase something goes wrong)
    1) Power off your device (do not plug in to the USB port on your computer)
    2) Hold Q and the Power button (if anything appears on your screen back to step 1)
    3) Plug your device into your USB port
    4) Run InstallBackupRecovery.bat in the install package.
    5) Unplug your device (and remove the battery, hold power and re-insert the battery)
    6) Hold the volume down and power (it should boot into recovery). If it doesn't
    7) Once in recovery use left button on keypad to move selections and power to select an entry.
    8) Select Backup and restore
    9) Select restore
    10) Pick the back up you had made earlier based on the date.
    11) Select power off from the menu to shut down.After a couple of seconds remove

Upgrading to Froyo
    1) Make sure you have made a back up (its easy and it only takes a minute or two)
    2) Copy update.zip on to your sdcard (do not extract)
    3) Power off your device (do not plug in to the USB port on your computer)
    4) Hold Q and the Power button (if anything appears on your screen back to step 2)
    5) Run InstallUpdateRecovery.bat in the install package.
    6) Unplug your device (remove the battery, hold power and re-insert the battery)
    7) Hold the volume down and power (it should boot into recovery). If it doesn't
    8) Once in recovery use left button on keypad to move selections and power to select an entry.
    9) Select Apply update.zip from the menu
    10) Select power off from the menu to shut down. After a couple of seconds remove
    10a) Install latest update from: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=24984298&postcount=279
    11) Power on and welcome to Froyo :D
    12) Wait for touchscreen calibration to come up. Follow instructions. Once finished menu to exit.
    If your touches do not register at ANY point then see CalibrationPoints.png in package and touch approximately on your screen based on these points.
    If you run into this please tell me (I can tweak the TSCalibration app to be smarter with a bit of work.)
    13) Touch the android icon and skip creating an account (there is a bug in the wizard so your just avoiding it)
    14) Setup everything at this point if necessary re-calibrated your screen via TS Calibration in the menu
    15) Install your favorites launcher (Zeam runs great) and keyboard since no keyboard is installed.

Notes
    - No keyboard is included so use the hardware keyboard and install your favorite via the market.
    - The kernel has been updated based off nobodyAtall's work to help port froyo / gingerbread specific features. Other things are specific to this device (Kernel source: https://github.com/Idontknow186/Alcatel-OT980-Kernel)
    - Busybox is pre-installed to make things easier if you need to adb on to the device
    - All hardware should work if something is broken please tell me. For tethering install your favourite solution from the market (tunnelling support should be compiled in if it isn't yell at me :p).
    - The default launcher sucks so please replace it for the best experience.
    - The ROM is rooted for your already.
    - Battery life seems to be better then typically what you get on stock.
    - Calibration data can be cleared by deleting /data/data/touchscreen*/files/* [path might be wrong will check later] or formatting the data partition (if you need a update.zip to clear calibration please tell me).
    - Please report any bugs I'll issue delta updates to fix them (preferably with reproduction steps)
    - Whats next? Probably GB or ICS :p
    I just figured out why Alcatel disabled HW acceleration for compositing (the MOVE still has the same stupid bug) it was so their logo appears fine on the boot screen. Other wise the hardware supports it and it works fine. So I'm going just enable it and fix the boot screen it just needs a larger image or else the pitch will screw up (I think, if I can't fix it don't be surprised by a corrupted Alcatel logo for less then a second or two). Only advantage you gain animations use hardware and things which use hardware surfaces actually get them. Oh and the awesome screen off animation works :p. Animations are now silky smooth between windows.

EDIT: That was easy enough to fix. So logo will look fine :D