HP slate 7 extreme a plain tegra note?

Search This thread

prichm1992

Apr 19, 2013
Just wondering if anybody's tried to flash tn7 ROMs on their s7e? And does the s7e read the same model number as the tegra note? P1640?

Sent from my SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

lreillyi

Sep 28, 2010
I've been stuck trying to figure out how to adb on my slate 7 extreme for weeks. Tried every driver and every cord and port. So while I'd love to confirm that it is the same... I'm still not sure.

Mobilla

Jul 24, 2010
I was able to root it after some playing around,
you need to use the universal naked drivers (Nvidia Shield) for both adb and fastboot.
To unlock you have to specifiy the vendorid to fastboot:
fastboot -i 0x03F0 oem unlock

The util in the TN7 dev forum will not work out of the box for the S7E because it doesn't specify the vendor id to fastboot, but the supplied files will work (you can modify the .bat if you want to add the "-i 0x03F0" to fastboot). You can boot CWM to install root.

Installing the 4.4.2 system and boot partitions works and it will boot, however i am having trouble with it locking up a lot.

skysoblue

Jan 5, 2013
you need to use the universal naked drivers (Nvidia Shield) for both adb and fastboot.

The util in the TN7 dev forum will not work out of the box for the S7E because it doesn't specify the vendor id to fastboot, but the supplied files will work (you can modify the .bat if you want to add the "-i 0x03F0" to fastboot). You can boot CWM to install root.

Installing the 4.4.2 system and boot partitions works and it will boot, however i am having trouble with it locking up a lot.

cool. What do you mean by locking up a lot? it often hang and jam? . So i guess, staying at 4.2.2 is the best for now?

Mobilla

Jul 24, 2010
cool. What do you mean by locking up a lot? it often hang and jam? . So i guess, staying at 4.2.2 is the best for now?

It will work fine for up to about 10 minutes, then the screen will freeze and the only way to get it back is to hold the power down for 10 seconds and reboot it.

I am back on 4.2.2 right now, but when I have some extra time I might try a few things.

Reactions: aeron16

duocdx.bt

Sep 1, 2011

Is it possible to just have root set up on 4.2.2? Would like to keep all partitions stock if possible (as well as the bootloader). Would this help with stability issues? Sorry if these are noobish questions but thanks in advance :)

sparkly81

Oct 14, 2010
Santa Tecla
Almost plain tegra

Hi, I agree with @Mobilla I installed android 4.4.2 from this link but be extreme careful, backup your rom first, KitKat works fine but randomly android freeze all system, I tested ClockWorkMod recovery and work flashing root file SuperSU-v1.94.zip but I don't test backup from recovery, well maybe someone can help us to know why kitkat freeze :confused: chinese root method is complicated I rooted with this method I don't read chinese I click some buttons and it works. Sorry with my English, I'm from El Salvador, I speak Spanish :D

Mobilla

Jul 24, 2010
I couldn't run 4.4 more than about 10 minutes before locking up, so I went back to 4.2.2 (rooted).

You can download the stock 4.2.2 update.zip from HP's website if you experience the same issues
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=6608632#N147

The rooting method is the same as for the TN7 with the exception of fastboot commands you need to specify the vendorid (e.g. fastboot -i 0x03F0 oem unlock) I didn't try the Chinese tool.

You can flash root from recovery once it is unlocked.

I tried looking for what was causing the lockup but I couldn't find anything in the logs. If anyone has any tips for hunting down the problem I would be happy to try.

sparkly81

Oct 14, 2010
Santa Tecla
CWM

Hi, I tested CWM from this link and it works with nandroids backup, but the default storage is strange: /storage/emulated/sdcard0 but in this dir I can't move or delete that backup and use storage space :( I use a root explorer and can't move or delete, CWM works to root the device with SuperSU-v1.94.zip :good: but not for backup, see ya!

duocdx.bt

Sep 1, 2011
Rooting Slate 7 Extreme

Ok, so I played around with the Tegra Note tools and figured I'd be happy with root on 4.2.2 as it allows me to use link 2 sd to move apps to my sd card. What tripped me up was the vendor id for fastboot. I understood that I'd have to type it out with the unlock command but I just kept punching in 'fastboot devices' to check if the tablet was being detected by fastboot... obviously not the way to go. Hopefully this brief summary of what I did can be helpful to someone else:

1. Download Nvidia Tegra Note 7 Super Tool 2.2
2. While your tablet is off, enter fastboot by pressing volume up + power, you'll see a couple options here - press volume down once and then the power button to select fastboot protocol.
3. Get your usb cable and plug the tablet into your pc.
4. Run the impactor program included in the super tools bundle. Select 'driver scan' from the USB menu, this will load fastboot drivers for your tablet.
5. Start up a command prompt and move it over to the super tool directory
6. Make sure your tablet is seen by the pc by typing "fastboot -i 0x03F0 devices"
7. Unlock the bootloader by typing "fastboot -i 0x03F0 oem unlock" you'll be warned that this voids your warranty, also you'll wipe anything currently installed on the tablet
8. Install CWM recovery by typing "fastboot -i 0x03F0 flash recovery Bat-CWM-Recovery.img"
9. Remove the usb cable and reboot (this is what I did, you can actually just use the command "fastboot -i 0x03F0 reboot")
10. Configure your freshly wiped device, reattach it to your pc with the usb cable and mount internal storage
11. Copy "SuperSU-v1.94.zip" from your tegra super tool folder over to internal storage
12. Turn off your tablet and re-enter fastboot by pressing volume up + power
13. Select recovery, you'll be in CWM. Select install zip from sd card, internal files will be shown so install the SuperSU zip you copied into internal storage earlier.
14. Reboot and you'll have root.

Hope this makes sense, I haven't had any problems with this setup and being able to move apps to the sd card is great.

Last edited:

sparkly81

Oct 14, 2010
Santa Tecla
Hi @duocdx.bt good tutotial :D in

9. Remove the usb cable and reboot

you can reboot with this command:

fastboot -i 0x03F0 reboot

:good:

Ok, so I played around with the Tegra Note tools and figured I'd be happy with root on 4.2.2 as it allows me to use link 2 sd to move apps to my sd card. What tripped me up was the vendor id for fastboot. I understood that I'd have to type it out with the unlock command but I just kept punching in 'fastboot devices' to check if the tablet was being detected by fastboot... obviously not the way to go. Hopefully this brief summary of what I did can be helpful to someone else:

1. Download http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2627654
2. While your tablet is off, enter fastboot by pressing volume up + power, you'll see a couple options here - press volume down once and then the power button to select fastboot protocol.
4. Run the impactor program included in the super tools bundle. Select 'driver scan' from the USB menu, this will load fastboot drivers for your tablet.
6. Make sure your tablet is seen by the pc by typing "fastboot -i 0x03F0 devices"
7. Unlock the bootloader by typing "fastboot -i 0x03F0 oem unlock" you'll be warned that this voids your warranty, also you'll wipe anything currently installed on the tablet
8. Install CWM recovery by typing "fastboot -i 0x03F0 flash recovery Bat-CWM-Recovery.img"
10. Configure your freshly wiped device, reattach it to your pc with the usb cable and mount internal storage
11. Copy "SuperSU-v1.94.zip" from your tegra super tool folder over to internal storage
13. Select recovery, you'll be in CWM. Select install zip from sd card, internal files will be shown so install the SuperSU zip you copied into internal storage earlier.

Hope this makes sense, I haven't had any problems with this setup and being able to move apps to the sd card is great.

Reactions: rwcasto

duocdx.bt

Sep 1, 2011

Thanks! Edited that in and fixed the link to the super tool. Hopefully this is clear enough to newer users such as myself :) Hopefully HP starts releasing stable updates for us but if not, things aren't too bad with root :good:

Saminet37

May 2, 2014
What can I do?

hi, I also install my hp slate 7 extreme with 4.4.2 tegra note7 version, like you my android is blocking a few minutes later, how I return to my 4.2.2 rom if I haven't the stock recovery but yes the update.zip from hp.

Last edited:

Saminet37

May 2, 2014
What can i do?

hi, I also install my hp slate 7 extreme with 4.4.2 tegra note7 version, like you my android is blocking a few minutes later, how I return to my 4.2.2 rom if I haven't the stock recovery but yes the update.zip from hp.

mofared

May 16, 2014

9. Remove the usb cable and reboot (this is what I did, you can actually just use the command "fastboot -i 0x03F0 reboot")

Succesfully rooted my HP Slate 7 Extreme 4409ra Tablet :D ty!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Rooting Slate 7 Extreme

It will work fine for up to about 10 minutes, then the screen will freeze and the only way to get it back is to hold the power down for 10 seconds and reboot it.

I am back on 4.2.2 right now, but when I have some extra time I might try a few things.

1. Download http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2627654

I'm sorry I meant I wanted to root 4.4.2

Ah! Same question from me then. How can we root stock 4.4.2 on the Asus Slate 7 extreme?

This worked for me: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2541784
    I followed method #1 for 4.2, it worked for me on my EVGA Tegra Note on 4.4.2.
    The link for root_tn7.img is broken though, this is the correct link: https://github.com/linux-shield/shield-root/blob/master/root_tn7.img?raw=true

You do need to unlock the boot loader first by following the instructions at the top.

Or you could use http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2627654. It's Windows only however.
    Just make sure to install drivers a second time, after rebooting to the boot loader.
    Update; I got the bootloader unlocked but I can't get the recovery to work. It says that it installed sucessfully but when I try to boot into it all I get is the broken android picture.

I just linked a method to root your tablet, the recovery has to be flashed separately.
    What recovery did you flash? I recommend TWRP: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2586432