[TOOL] ADB Data Recovery (recover data from a phone with broken screen)

Search This thread

FuzzyMeep Two

Feb 21, 2012
Southern NH
**UPDATE**
NEW VERSION

THIS RELIES ON ADB COMMANDS, SO IF YOU DO NOT HAVE USB DEBUGGING TURNED ON, OR A CUSTOM RECOVERY TO BOOT TO, THEN IT WILL NOT BE AS SIMPLE AS JUST RUNING THE PROGRAM.

Another user was having issues because he had an emulator installed, so I updated the file to give you the choice between an emulator, or device. I intend to update further to allow you to check for and select an individual device, that will come soon..
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recently my Galaxy s2's screen smashed, and, after replacing it with a GS4, i realized that many of my pictures were stuck on the internal sd card of the GS2. Being unable to turn on mass storage mode, I made a very simple tool that makes using adb pull a simple, painless process, even for the most computer illiterate of android users. Hope this helps if anyone needs it.

For anyone having issues...

If you had not previously activated USB Debugging, there are several steps you need to follow in order to enable ADB

SCREEN WORKING TOUCH BROKEN NO CUSTOM RECOVERY​
first, if you can see your screen, and have access to an otg cable, plug a mouse in to the otg cable, and the otg cable into the phone. Use the mouse to enable USB debugging, or to transfer files.
HOW TO ENABLE USB DEBUGGING

SCREEN WORKING TOUCH BROKEN WITH CUSTOM RECOVERY​
boot to your custom recovery ADB commands will work here. (usually hold vol- + pwr)
HOW TO BOOT TO RECOVERY

Once in custom recovery, connect the device to the PC.
open CMD and enter the following commands;
cd c:\android (this is your ADB path, c:\android is default)
adb devices

The result should be something like

List of devices attached
051a4dd5 recovery
^^this number will be different for you

if you get a result on ADB devices, then you can use the program

SCREEN BROKEN TOUCH BROKEN WITH CUSTOM RECOVERY​
boot to your custom recovery ADB commands will work here. (usually hold vol- + pwr)
HOW TO BOOT TO RECOVERY

adb devices

List of devices attached
051a4dd5 recovery

SCREEN BROKEN TOUCH BROKEN NO CUSTOM RECOVERY​
now things get complicated...

*The following is paraphrased from this site

1. download the custom recovery image for your device. Copy the recovery image to a convenient location on your computer, preferably with a short path. We will be placing it on the C Drive directly (not in any folder) and using that in the next steps.
Note: The recovery image should have .img extension. If it is in a zip file, extract the .img file from it.
I recommend clockwork mod non touch from this page

2. Power your device off and reboot your device to FASTBOOT or DOWNLOAD MODE depending on which type of device you have.
(most devices are fastboot, SAMSUNG typically uses DOWNLOAD MODE)
how to boot to fastboot or download mode

[FASTBOOT]​
3. Connect your device to your computer via USB and wait till you see the PC recognize the device

to check if your device is in fastboot and connected use CMD and enter the following commands;
fastboot devices

you will see a list of connected devices. if not, something went wrong.

4. Launch Command Prompt and type the following commands;

fastboot flash recovery c:\recovery.img

5. Wait for the process to finish.

6. Turn device off then boot to your custom recovery ADB commands will work here. (usually hold vol- + pwr)
HOW TO BOOT TO RECOVERY

adb devices

List of devices attached
051a4dd5 recovery

[RECOVERY MODE (SAMSUNG)]​
USE THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THIS PAGE

adb devices

List of devices attached
051a4dd5 recovery

HOPEFULLY THIS HELPS. REMEMBER TO CHECK THE FORUM PAGE FOR YOUR DEVICE IF YOU RUN INTO ISSUES. THIS ISN'T ANYTHING THE MEMBERS OF XDA HAVEN'T DONE THOUSANDS OF TIMES OVER.

Don't forget to hit "Thanks"

Attachments

• RecoverData.rar
    29.8 KB · Views: 23,799
Last edited:

koperkowy

Jan 27, 2013
Bydgoszcz
Question

Hi! Can I use that to restore data not from sdcard but from internal memory of the device? I was storing photos on device memory on my Asus TF300T and now its bricked. I need to restore these photos, my girlfriend has something like 1000 of them from her trip to Caracas. Its very important for her. I already managed to connect the device through fastboot and I launched anb in cmd. What should I do next? Please help me guys :)

FuzzyMeep Two

Feb 21, 2012
Southern NH
Hi! Can I use that to restore data not from sdcard but from internal memory of the device? I was storing photos on device memory on my Asus TF300T and now its bricked. I need to restore these photos, my girlfriend has something like 1000 of them from her trip to Caracas. Its very important for her. I already managed to connect the device through fastboot and I launched anb in cmd. What should I do next? Please help me guys :)

Yes, when it references SD Card it means the internal "SD" storage built in to the phone, not the removable one. It should work as long as ADB can connect.

Sorry for taking so long to reply, i really hope you got your pictures back.

zobes

Oct 28, 2008
Recently my Galaxy s2's screen smashed, and, after replacing it with a GS4, i realized that many of my pictures were stuck on the internal sd card of the GS2. Being unable to turn on mass storage mode, I made a very simple tool that makes using adb pull a simple, painless process, even for the most computer illiterate of android users. Hope this helps if anyone needs it.

P.S. I apologize if i have posted this in the wrong place, if so please let me know.

Really great stuff - so simple but so effective. Cheers and thanks.

Reactions: FuzzyMeep Two

FuzzyMeep Two

Feb 21, 2012
Southern NH
When i run that tool, i get the error mesg: more than one device and emulator,
I dont want to uninstall the emulator coz it was a headache getting it running
How i procede to select the device to be used

NEW VERSION

Try this, i haven't gotten to test it, so please let me know if it worked for you, I added the option of selecting an emulator or USB device, because of your post. Hopefully it helps.

Reactions: jdl512

Joeb29

May 16, 2014
When I try to run this I also get an error message saying that the adb.exe file cannot be found.

Please can anyone help?

joffmeister

May 20, 2014
When I try to run this I also get an error message saying that the adb.exe file cannot be found.

Please can anyone help?

Have you also installed ADB, as well as this software?

I'm also having an issue - I have installed java, java SDK and ADB, so I can now run the data recovery tool. But when I do I'm getting "error:device not found" - am I missing drivers or something? I couldn't get all the way on the ADB configuration, because part of it required me to do something on the device... anyway, looks like the computer isn't recognising the the phone at the moment.

Any help very gratefully received (phone is Samsung Galaxy S2).

DieselPunk

May 22, 2014
Have you also installed ADB, as well as this software?

I'm also having an issue - I have installed java, java SDK and ADB, so I can now run the data recovery tool. But when I do I'm getting "error:device not found" - am I missing drivers or something? I couldn't get all the way on the ADB configuration, because part of it required me to do something on the device... anyway, looks like the computer isn't recognising the the phone at the moment.

Any help very gratefully received (phone is Samsung Galaxy S2).

I have the same situation right now. Managed to make your program work then I get the "error:device not found". My phone does show up in the computer folder(albeit not in mass storage mode), but isn't that what this program was made to work around?

My phone is a LG Optimus G with a smashed glass... The LCD still displays fine, but I'm stuck at my swipe lock because the digitizer is dead.

Thank you for your help and your wonderful program.

ziggygod

Dec 14, 2011
Thanks for this app. My girlfriend broke her screen and digitizer on her Galaxy S4. She never turned USB Debugging mode and has a lock on her screen. When using your app I get the same error when I use adb by itself which is "error: closed". ADB detects my phone but any command I use in ADB or with your app I get that same error.

Do you know how to fix this? Thanks in advance.

raghav939

May 30, 2014
Thanks a lot man.

dude this tool is just amazing and does exactly what it promised. I was spending sleepless nights thinking about how to recover my data from my broken galaxy nexus and now that I have it I can rest easy. Seriously can't thank you enough for this. Just joined xda to thank you buddy.:laugh::fingers-crossed:

Reactions: FuzzyMeep Two

sprite1g

Oct 13, 2012
Pardes Hana - karkur
Getting an error "The system cannot find the path specified."

I start the recovery tool, set eh adb path successfully, and then I get this error. If I try running the recovery to pull the DCIM library I get this:
"error: device not found"
What can I do?
Thanks!
Either way this is an amazing tool, seeing how it helped some people already. :good:

yezirko

Jul 8, 2014
Hi, Seem to have the same problem as many others, Device not found. I cant change to MTP mode on my LG G2.
I hope someone can find a solution to this problem.
Program seems amazing doh.

simobenso

Sep 30, 2013
Hello,

This is really a great tool ! I was wondering if you could add the possibility to recover the external sd card aswell.

aumedina

Sep 25, 2009
Device not found

Tried to recover a Samsung Galaxy S3 mini with a broken screen

I installed adb and RecoverData, run it and then get a "device not found error"

What can I do?
:(

**UPDATE**
NEW VERSION

Another user was having issues because he had an emulator installed, so I updated the file to give you the choice between an emulator, or device. I intend to update further to allow you to check for and select an individual device, that will come soon..
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, Thank you very musch, It's so usefull for me.. :angel:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    **UPDATE**
    NEW VERSION

THIS RELIES ON ADB COMMANDS, SO IF YOU DO NOT HAVE USB DEBUGGING TURNED ON, OR A CUSTOM RECOVERY TO BOOT TO, THEN IT WILL NOT BE AS SIMPLE AS JUST RUNING THE PROGRAM.

For anyone having issues...

If you had not previously activated USB Debugging, there are several steps you need to follow in order to enable ADB

SCREEN WORKING TOUCH BROKEN NO CUSTOM RECOVERY​
    first, if you can see your screen, and have access to an otg cable, plug a mouse in to the otg cable, and the otg cable into the phone. Use the mouse to enable USB debugging, or to transfer files.
    HOW TO ENABLE USB DEBUGGING

SCREEN WORKING TOUCH BROKEN WITH CUSTOM RECOVERY​
    HOW TO BOOT TO RECOVERY

adb devices

List of devices attached
    051a4dd5 recovery

SCREEN BROKEN TOUCH BROKEN WITH CUSTOM RECOVERY​
    HOW TO BOOT TO RECOVERY

adb devices

List of devices attached
    051a4dd5 recovery

SCREEN BROKEN TOUCH BROKEN NO CUSTOM RECOVERY​
    now things get complicated...

*The following is paraphrased from this site

1. download the custom recovery image for your device. Copy the recovery image to a convenient location on your computer, preferably with a short path. We will be placing it on the C Drive directly (not in any folder) and using that in the next steps.
    Note: The recovery image should have .img extension. If it is in a zip file, extract the .img file from it.
    I recommend clockwork mod non touch from this page

2. Power your device off and reboot your device to FASTBOOT or DOWNLOAD MODE depending on which type of device you have.
    (most devices are fastboot, SAMSUNG typically uses DOWNLOAD MODE)
    how to boot to fastboot or download mode

[FASTBOOT]​
    3. Connect your device to your computer via USB and wait till you see the PC recognize the device

to check if your device is in fastboot and connected use CMD and enter the following commands;
    fastboot devices

you will see a list of connected devices. if not, something went wrong.

4. Launch Command Prompt and type the following commands;

fastboot flash recovery c:\recovery.img

5. Wait for the process to finish.

6. Turn device off then boot to your custom recovery ADB commands will work here. (usually hold vol- + pwr)
    HOW TO BOOT TO RECOVERY

adb devices

List of devices attached
    051a4dd5 recovery

[RECOVERY MODE (SAMSUNG)]​
    USE THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THIS PAGE

adb devices

List of devices attached
    051a4dd5 recovery

HOPEFULLY THIS HELPS. REMEMBER TO CHECK THE FORUM PAGE FOR YOUR DEVICE IF YOU RUN INTO ISSUES. THIS ISN'T ANYTHING THE MEMBERS OF XDA HAVEN'T DONE THOUSANDS OF TIMES OVER.

i'll bump this thread for those who didn't see this amazing tool, this tool is really useful, thank you very much
    Thank you!

I joined just to say thank you to FuzzyMeep Two. Thanks for an awesome tool! It worked better than advertised!

:good:

Thanks again!

-th3r3isnospoon

P.S. I apologize if i have posted this in the wrong place, if so please let me know.

Error msg

When i run that tool, i get the error mesg: more than one device and emulator,
    I dont want to uninstall the emulator coz it was a headache getting it running
    How i procede to select the device to be used